Sign in to follow this  
bent.toe

Anyone figured out when the game takes place?

Shortly after the release on Xbox there was a poster in svetlojarsk (military action movie) in almost pristine condition (still there but it has flaked over time/patches) and i noticed a date for when the movie was supposed to hit the cinema. 

29th of August 2009.

That never happened.

Now...the infected have not started to rot or decay in anyway, it's autumn or close to winter.

So i'm 100% sure the game takes place late november/early december 2009.

Fun facts and now you know.

The outbreak happened after october of 2012, so maybe late 2012/early 2013.

The FX-45 pistol was launched on october of 2012 (Real-Life) and it appears that in-game it's already being spread worldwide (since you find this pistol everywhere)

Edited by MarczXD320

In the timeline the outbreak happened somewhere after the events of Arma 2. The events (rebellion uprising in Chernarus) of Arma 2 happened around 2008-2009, which saw the arrival of first the US troops and after that of the Russian Federation. Presumably the reason why we find American & Russian military wrecks and weapons. As Marc said, the FX-45 was released in 2012 so generally people assume it happened after that date.

The idea of the poster was a good one though. Some people might remember a mission called Eagle Wing in Arma 2, in which you play as a heli pilot that crashes during a nuclear/chemical attack. This is an alternate ending to the Arma 2 campaign, which I always saw as the alternate ending that created the ARMA/DAYZ timeline.

Edited by amadieus

Its an alternate reality. The fn fnx was made early when compared to our reality. That or time travelers.

12 hours ago, MarczXD320 said:

The outbreak happened after october of 2012, so maybe late 2012/early 2013.

The FX-45 pistol was launched on october of 2012 (Real-Life) and it appears that in-game it's already being spread worldwide (since you find this pistol everywhere)

Hmm..guess that broke my theory then.

Maybe they have one movie showing every fourth year in svetlojarsk then it would make sense with 2012

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/DayZ_Lore

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Armaverse_Timeline

Armaverse map of complete Chernarus, showing borders to Russia and Takistan

latest?cb=20131124073031

and the for me most fitting but still fictional real word location ...which would of course require a fictional transition between the Green Sea ( Caspic Sea) and the Black Sea :)

AReeiq3.jpg

As I wrote a few times here on the forums ...Dean had also written a complete lore background for the virus and the outbreak :

Hall’s brother, a virologist, “geeked out” and wrote a 20-page manuscript for the zombie virus. Deciding that something rabies-based would be too easy, the two investigated Toxoplasmosis, a neurological infection that causes mice to be sexually attracted to cats. It’s also theorized to have an effect on humans, perhaps cat ladies. The Hall brothers have decided on a name for the virus, but consider it one of the surprises for the game’s launch.

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge 86% of the worlds population die Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

Edited by Private Evans

It is  a shame that the devs since Hicks do not care about providing a bit more lore about the virus and the outbreak. Especially for a good rollplaying experience, with a lot of different people playing on a server without knowing each other it is important to share a basic background lore.

50 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

It is  a shame that the devs since Hicks do not care about providing a bit more lore about the virus and the outbreak. Especially for a good rollplaying experience, with a lot of different people playing on a server without knowing each other it is important to share a basic background lore.

A lot of RP servers have their own lore. Most servers also require you to read and know the lore and play accordingly to that lore.

I am talking about playing vanilla Dayz on public servers...and I am talking about the proper lore that was in at the very beginning of the SA. One originally planned feature that never made it into the game and I guess never will. I personnaly was very hyped for finding stuff like notes, orders, newspapers, letters etc telling this little stories about the virus and the outbreak. 

2 hours ago, Private Evans said:

I am talking about playing vanilla Dayz on public servers...and I am talking about the proper lore that was in at the very beginning of the SA. One originally planned feature that never made it into the game and I guess never will. I personnaly was very hyped for finding stuff like notes, orders, newspapers, letters etc telling this little stories about the virus and the outbreak. 

That would be pretty awesome. Finding a note on a fridge to loved ones.

Reading a newspaper on the street about a virus.

And so on.

When the game fully releases, im sure they will expand the lore. Oh and i dont mean 1.0. Its still in beta. Right now im fine with them focusing on getting the game to actually function correctly. The lore can wait.

Sign in to follow this