Wackamole

Night is a problem.

For me night is a double edged sword, on one hand I love it, on the other hand, I hate it. The fact that we need a light source is great, specially to avoid missing details but on the other hand, the fact that a lot of the times it's literally pitch black sucks. It isn't really realistic, now is it? Unless there is a lot of overcast and there is no moon. The moon is no light source but a reflection, it reflects enough to light up the horizon and if you're lucky the ground. If it lights up the horizon you can make out houses, trees and what not in the distance. Also where are all the stars anyway? Light pollution anyone?

I think night still needs some balancing and tweaking. It shouldn't be pitch black with a couple of stars and a weak moon in the sky. Either make it pitch black (every night overcast) or make the night right with the right amount of stars and the correct reflection of the moon.

Edited by IMT

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

Good.  Log out.  Can't wait to hear the complaints about your raided bases

Persistence does a fine job at raiding bases whether you log or not.

There are so many elements of realism that are side stepped for overall balance in game. Go ahead and gut a deer and turn its entrails into rope for me in 5 seconds. Tape up an eviscerated abdomen by wrapping a bandage around your left arm 4 times. Enjoy drinking that entire cooking pot full of unchlorinated water which, coincidentally, also has 4 chicken breasts in it and you're able to carry around in your cargo pants. 

Until there is some tangible benefit to working at night (like gradually improving the ability for a character to see in the dark perhaps?) very, very few people are going to play. 

You want to play at night? Seriously, knock yourself out. When it gets dark I put my character to sleep and he dreams in daylight on another server.  

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 12/10/2018 at 2:33 AM, Wackamole said:

Ok so first off, i like the idea of immersion, of night time in general.  The whole idea of immersion and the survival aspect.  But honestly, I log off.  I just log off.  I have a flashlight but in truth its not really that big of a help in navigating around.  I liked another players idea of the idea that our eyes do adjust somewhat to darkness after a time.  The thing that bugs me is, most real nights are not so black that u cant see your hands in front of you.  Many nights the moonligt allows you to see.  Not so in dayz. It is so obvious in server numbers that a large majority of other players do as i do and log off until daylight.  Server numbers drop drastically.

Secondly, it feels like the daylight hours are less?  I dont honestly know but it feels like the majority of the time its dark or raining.  I like immersion but i think its a bit overdone to be honest.  I love this game, but the one thing that is keeping me from playing it more is the dark.

The only problem with night is that players are not willing to step a little outside their comfort zone to experience it. The light sources in the game do a fine job of illuminating the area around you. Yes, day time is faster, but so is night time, which makes it actually possible to survive through it. DayZ without a day/night cycle is bland. 

• Beans 1

On 12/31/2018 at 11:53 AM, IMT said:

For me night is a double edged sword, on one hand I love it, on the other hand, I hate it. The fact that we need a light source is great, specially to avoid missing details but on the other hand, the fact that a lot of the times it's literally pitch black sucks. It isn't really realistic, now is it? Unless there is a lot of overcast and there is no moon. The moon is no light source but a reflection, it reflects enough to light up the horizon and if you're lucky the ground. If it lights up the horizon you can make out houses, trees and what not in the distance. Also where are all the stars anyway? Light pollution anyone?

I think night still needs some balancing and tweaking. It shouldn't be pitch black with a couple of stars and a weak moon in the sky. Either make it pitch black (every night overcast) or make the night right with the right amount of stars and the correct reflection of the moon.

It isn't always like that though. It does light up a bit if you are in an open field with an open starry sky. But the forests on a cloudy night are basically pitch black, as they would be in real life. I'm looking into the forest just behind my house now and it literally is pitch black. I'd walk face first in to trees without a flashlight. 

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Solopopo said:

. I'd walk face first in to trees without a flashlight. 

And for those seeking such thrills in their gaming time DayZ at night is the perfect match. For the rest of us, a little balancing would be nice. 

Edited by eno

2 hours ago, eno said:

And for those seeking such thrills in their gaming time DayZ at night is the perfect match. For the rest of us, a little balancing would be nice. 

You have what you're looking for with modding.  Why ruin the vanilla experience for others?

• Beans 1

30 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

You have what you're looking for with modding.  Why ruin the vanilla experience for others?

Now balancing out darkness at night in the same way that EVERY other feature in the game is balanced out for the sake of the game is ruining the vanilla experience. 

Holy fuck dude, pump the brakes. 

Edited by eno

I play in the night more often than before. The flashlight is s**t, so is the flare, but it's fun to see nothing and just hear zombie growls or stumble about hoping to find a town. Of course it could be much better and appeal to more of the community if it were a tad lighter and more visible. My only current problem with it is that the surfaces of some buildings, be it floors or walls, respond weirdly to light and appear black or shiny black...

Also it is quite fun to lure a horde of zeds somewhere, drop the light source and commence the bullet fest in that shallow cone of light.

Edited by The-MCV-

Once again I wait a year or so... and the game is still unplayable. WTH... I have been in Afghanistan with ZERO light sources at night besides the stars and seen better than this game. Stop making excuses and lame justifications and just make the damn game playable please.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:55 AM, HeadCrabD said:

Whats the date are you setting on your server?

5/5/2019