exacomvm

3D Weapon scopes

Scopes  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What scopes do you prefer ?

• 3D Scopes ( Realistic, nicer looking, harder to use due to its size. Reference: Escape from Tarkov )
    • 2D Scopes ( As it always been, simple image overlay ).

Hello everyone, i've seen that the scopes doesn't work/not available in current build, so i hope DayZ devs has something special for us. I personally would love to see 3D Scopes in the game such as in the EFT game.

Maybe it's already confirmed? Im not really following the suggestions here.

• Beans 1

I definitely wish they could implement it but the main issue and why they didn't do it in Arma 3 was performance. I think they can still make it pretty realistic if they just used simple fov zoom with good PP effects and blur to achieve the same illusion. But yeah :/

Edited by DannyDog
  • Beans 1

3D scopes obviously. It's one of the things that EFT has absolutely right and that is the guns. I wish DayZ has more of that like modifying your weapons. Now you can only change the handguard and buttstock but in EFT there is so much more possible which makes it possible for people to have a suppressed SKS. This is something I would love to see in DayZ.

• Beans 1

I think in the future there will be more weapon customisation, but there are already alot of them: Painting, switching parts, ghillie gun wrap, improvised suppressor.

But its good suggestion, maybe we need more customisation, but good suggestion with the 3D scopes though.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, DannyDog said:

I definitely wish they could implement it but the main issue and why they didn't do it in Arma 3 was performance. I think they can still make it pretty realistic if they just used simple fov zoom with good PP effects and blur to achieve the same illusion. But yeah :/

Its like 20k polys at most ( if optimized extremely well ), so basically the scope would be same as 2 additional zombies for the performance + in any way they will be in the game, but ye im not sure about the zooming etc. ( maybe when not in ADS it should not render the zoom ).

Edited by exacomvm

It seems you're talking about PiP, in which case I wouldn't count on it.

As for 3D scopes, they can be okay at low magnification. But note that none of the 3D scopes have proper magnification. PU is 2.3x instead of proper 3.5x. ACOG is 2.6x instead of proper 4x. Not sure why this is, as they seemed to look fine at higher magnification back when we could monkey with the FOV slider. 2D scopes usually seem to *work* better for me.

ARMA 3 also uses 2D for high magnification scopes. But their overlay is much nicer looking.

2 hours ago, exacomvm said:

Its like 20k polys at most ( if optimized extremely well ), so basically the scope would be same as 2 additional zombies for the performance + in any way they will be in the game, but ye im not sure about the zooming etc. ( maybe when not in ADS it should not render the zoom ).

It's not the mesh that's causing the performance issues, but the everything needed for rendering of a zoomed-in view behind the scope.

20 hours ago, exacomvm said:

Ah ok so you're not talking about render to texture. More like just seeing through the model of the scope instead of a black image overlay. Basically how many other video games do it like Squad or Pubg in which case I'd definitely like to see that and it's definitely doable. 

1 hour ago, DannyDog said:

Ah ok so you're not talking about render to texture. More like just seeing through the model of the scope instead of a black image overlay. Basically how many other video games do it like Squad or Pubg in which case I'd definitely like to see that and it's definitely doable. 

I think they must do it, because it's like new thing that every game soon will use and Bohemia don't want to look obsolete for such new engine. First game that used it was maybe Call of Duty: Ghosts ( but it was more like image overlay all blured like with alot of culling or something )
Also i've checked some tests from amateur devs and in some cases it can drop like 20-30fps when in ADS ( if i remember fine in dayz even with 2D scope it droped some fps ), but that also maybe depends alot on the GPU and it should be able to optimize.

Edited by exacomvm

10 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

I think they must do it, because it's like new thing that every game soon will use and Bohemia don't want to look obsolete for such new engine. First game that used it was maybe Call of Duty: Ghosts ( but it was more like image overlay all blured like with alot of culling or something )
Also i've checked some tests from amateur devs and in some cases it can drop like 20-30fps when in ADS ( if i remember fine in dayz even with 2D scope it droped some fps ), but that also maybe depends alot on the GPU and it should be able to optimize.

I completely agree that fps games will soon have to atleast improve in this aspect (render to texture) but when it comes to DayZ it's not going to happen. Maybe sometime after 1.0 during their 5 year support when things are more fleshed out and arma 4 appears on the horizon. Or maybe not and it'll happen in DayZ 2.0? I can see it being something BI will atleast try to achieve in the next Arma atleast.

Edited by DannyDog