Sign in to follow this  
nl

Lens Flare 3rd person - on or off

Lens Flare - on or off  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Lens Flare - ON or OFF?

In 3rd person we see a lens flare. In my personal opinion this is annoying and unrealistic. One could argue that in 3rd person view it is like looking at yourself through a camera and that's why there is a lens flare but I think it is corny and a relic from much earlier games when it was still "cool" that we could render these effects. For me, I am playing a game and am not starring in some blockbuster movie so I would be happy to get rid off it. Or at least add an option to turn it on or off in graphics settings.

What's your opinion, lens flare on or off?

Edit: added "make on/off option" to the poll.

Edited by nl

I'll admit, I'm not prone to looking at the sun... but I don't think I've ever seen a lens flare in my eyes.

The lens flare should be removed all together, and the sun effects tweaked. The cheap god ray effect looks nasty. I'd much prefer a less glaring effect - something cleaner and more subtle.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

I'll admit, I'm not prone to looking at the sun... but I don't think I've ever seen a lens flare in my eyes.

The lens flare should be removed all together, and the sun effects tweaked. The cheap god ray effect looks nasty. I'd much prefer a less glaring effect - something cleaner and more subtle.

Really wish this happens. I've noticed quite a lot of use with the 2d light sprite that's displayed for things like muzzle flash, gas lamp, torches and the sun itself.

Still haven't heard the graphical equivalent of the game the devs intend to strive for. Or is it just gonna look like a slightly better version of Arma 3?

• Like 1

Lens flares are only nice to take screenshots..... on/off  thumb up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Really wish this happens. I've noticed quite a lot of use with the 2d light sprite that's displayed for things like muzzle flash, gas lamp, torches and the sun itself.

Still haven't heard the graphical equivalent of the game the devs intend to strive for. Or is it just gonna look like a slightly better version of Arma 3?

If there's one effect I'd love to see, it's actual sun shafts. Not the cheap effect they've got now, but legit sun shafts like we see in real life and in STALKER. It's an old-ass game, but STALKER still looks gorgeous, and the sun shafts look incredible.

As for final graphical fidelity, yeah I expect a bit nicer than Arma 3 is the target.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2017 at 0:15 PM, nl said:

In 3rd person we see a lens flare. ..//.. One could argue that in 3rd person view it is like looking at yourself through a camera
..//..

In both 1st & 3d you are "looking" at the rendering through exactly what programmers call "the camera" - so there is zero technical reason that it should exist in one view and not in the other.  1st person view is just 3d person view from a location corresponding to the front of your avatar's head position. It is the same camera. 

Today lens flare is every bit as popular in games as it is in image and video editing because it heightens the <perceived realism> for players - BECAUSE they are habituated to equating their sense of "realism" to digitally processed video TV and film for excitement & visual relaxation - They are conditioned to entertainment where lens flare is added de facto ( automatically, even to football matches and live reports etc). So DayZ in 3pp without lens flare effect would <temporarily> seem to look  "less real" and less "finished" than most other games. Players would tend to the subjective opinion that it seemed "drab" and less realistic.

BUT nl is totally correct. Lens flare is a "film effect" and unnatural in the game. It is not only a fake effect, it is a added 'fake' of a fake effect, just one that people unconsciously expect. It makes Dayz more like 'Mission Impossible' and 'Star Trek', right?  Those things use lens flare ALL the time. Instead of using digital tech to totally defeat lens flare it was used to exaggerate it (especially when there wasn't any) to prove that the viewer was watching a big budget FILM experience through an expensive camera. And who doesn't do that now (its so cheap!) ? The BBC and CNN both love it. It's has become what the viewers expect for their money. 

For standard player camera it should definitely be taken away.
But plenty of players will think the game graphics are "worse" even without ever noticing why. 

-  It should be deliberately and usefully (realistically) limited and added only to sunglasses, binocs and scopes.

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1