Sign in to follow this  
libertine

Are launch options relevant anymore?

I just got my gaming setup going again after 3 years of unuse and for DayZ standalone, i used to use these launch options. Do they make a difference anymore? They used to help bigtime, in particular i remember -winxp would almost double the fps. I just tried these and it seemed to make it worse or no difference.

-nosplash -skipintro -nopause -winxp -world=*empty -maxMem =8192 -window -noborder

9 hours ago, libertine said:

Do they make a difference anymore?

No. Don't use them, they are ARMA relics.

• Beans 1

No we where told not to, totally different engine so i would say no. They may have other options for this new engine.

they've all been archaic since .54

-nosplash and -skipintro were the cause of some wacky color issues after .54 hit (purple screen/green screen), some people couldn't play at all until they removed them

-nopause was supposed to help initial loading time, but i forget how exactly

-world=empty was an archaic map choice command (don't load any map) supposed to help initial loading time too but it only delayed the loading of the map until you got into the server, then you had to wait for Chernarus to load.   bad idea actually

-winxp if i recall forced dx9 instead of the default dx10, but now we're at dx11 so that's older than old and will probably mess up everything worse than the -maxmem and -malloc memory parameters

More recently there was -newui when we had the option to switch UIs, but that's kind of moot now.  And there was also -dologs for crash dumps but I'm not sure if that one is even active anymore.

I wouldn't use any of them, they certainly won't help you in any way and if any are still left active they're likely to mess up your experience.

Edited by GaryWalnuts

Well we can't know. All the launch parameters (programmatically they are called arguments) are processed in the application's compiled code so there could be new undocumented arguments.

Everything is automatically detected for things like vram, ram, and resolution.

No need for launch parameters as it is.

RV3 didn't even utilize these.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:46 PM, GaryWalnuts said:

they've all been archaic since .54

-nosplash and -skipintro were the cause of some wacky color issues after .54 hit (purple screen/green screen), some people couldn't play at all until they removed them

-nopause was supposed to help initial loading time, but i forget how exactly

-world=empty was an archaic map choice command (don't load any map) supposed to help initial loading time too but it only delayed the loading of the map until you got into the server, then you had to wait for Chernarus to load.   bad idea actually

-winxp if i recall forced dx9 instead of the default dx10, but now we're at dx11 so that's older than old and will probably mess up everything worse than the -maxmem and -malloc memory parameters

More recently there was -newui when we had the option to switch UIs, but that's kind of moot now.  And there was also -dologs for crash dumps but I'm not sure if that one is even active anymore.

I wouldn't use any of them, they certainly won't help you in any way and if any are still left active they're likely to mess up your experience.

Really sorry, Gary, but could I ask why -newui is moot now? I've been trying to get the -newui to work on the launch options thing, but it isn't working on both my computers

6 hours ago, Evan Liao Sheng Yang said:

Really sorry, Gary, but could I ask why -newui is moot now? I've been trying to get the -newui to work on the launch options thing, but it isn't working on both my computers

The "newui" is on by default now, there is no option to get the old one.

• Beans 1

On 12/5/2017 at 11:00 PM, Evan Liao Sheng Yang said:

Gobbokirk is right, the option doesn't work anymore because the old ui has been replaced completely with the new one.  Everyone is using the "new" ui now.