Asmondian

Dayz Suggestions Part #4 [With pictures]

ITuydoV.png

Part #1 / Part #2 / Part #3

(With Pictures)

Hi again ladies and gents!! This is the fourth part of some ideas / suggestions about Dayz SA that i have compile from my own thoughts and from some other user’s ideas (with some personal twists)

• If you didn`t see the first. second or third part, I highly recommend you do it I'll be very grateful).
  • English is not my native language, so I truly apology for the grammatical errors that may exist.
  • Post format: IDEA + ILUSTRATION + SHORT SUMMARY (I can amplify more in comments if you need)
  • Each idea tries to be as achievable and reasonable as possible according to the Dayz spirit (Survivalist - post apocalyptic atmosphere), the actual game possibilities and the features and changes mentioned in the status reports and official forums / trello / dev social media.

Let’s start!!

u76jTTP.png

#26 SPAWN BACKGROUND STORIES

ILUSTRATION

uIWYLuh.png

SUMMARY:  The spawns in Dayz are something that definitely have to improve to give them more realism and avoid to the maximum the vocation to commit suicide consistently until appearing in the particular spawn point that we want. Along with the idea (as far as I know, confirmed by the devs) of including passive abilities, it seems to me that this could be complemented by other idea: offering the characters a minimal “spawn story” or “spawn background” that has effect both on:

1) The passive skills you have

2) The spawn place you got (building)

3) The items and clothing you have from the beginning

My idea is that when you spawn, you do it with certain characteristics related to the “background/history” of our character (random with each spawn), for example, a doctor, a mechanic, a soldier, a journalist, a farmer, a fireman, an electrician, a truck driver, A hunter, etc. To give a simple example of this, I take the case of a medic at each of these points (1, 2 and 3). If you spawn as a medic, it could mean that:

1) Passive skills: You have a passive ability that can affect (for example) the times you can apply a saline or other items, the ease of crafting certain items, etc.

2) Spawn place: The doctor could spawns in hospital rooms, summer camps, clinics (like Tulga's) and so on with the rest of the professions.

3) Primary items: Instead of starting with a radio (like the devs wants according to the last SR), a flare and a rag, it could appear with 6 rags, a saline and a walking stick. Same thing could happen with the clothes you wear. It could appear with medical pants or a chinstrap.

The purpose of this idea is not to create true "classes" within Dayz, but to give more originality to the spawns and look for alternation or something that motivates to "stay with this character" regardless of the spawn place. Clearly they would have to be as balanced as possible and with differences that are not determinant to avoid multiplying suicides until reaching a certain “class”. Remember, this is just the original idea and it can clearly be polished and perfected.

JG0GaLK.png

#27 ALTERNATIVE HOUSES INTERIORES / BARRICADES

ILUSTRATION

Ph9V4pB.jpg

SUMMARY:  This idea is neither new nor original and it is confirmed that they are working on it. Adam Francu himself (Map Designer dev team) confirmed it in the last Q&A video (part 2) and so was also made from the official Trello. But I simply added this suggestion to give a bit of publicity to a reddit user concept that I found very interesting: iKon9. Here is his post

EAbRHgA.png

The idea of giving more "abandonment status" to the houses and obviously much more alternation to their interiors would add a lot to the gaming experience and that is why I try to keep this idea / suggestion latent.

JG0GaLK.png

#28 BLOODY HANDS / FACE AFTER KILLING SOMEONE

ILUSTRATION

NZgnCxw.png

SUMMARY:  The idea is quite simple and I would add an interesting additional feature for both pvp servers and roleplay servers.

Simply, after killing another player, for about 45 minutes, both your face and your hands remain stained with blood. For what? Simply to tell other players that you've killed a survivor / villain. But again ...... for what? This would offer an interesting condiment when confronting with other survivors and would be a necessary element to be able to trust or distrust of another player when you meet them.

It would also force us (the killers) to look for gloves, balaclavas or masks to cover our traces of blood, so that when we meet another player we can ask him to "show his hands" or “show his face” to see if he is a bandit or not. Obviously the cleaning supplies would also fulfill their role by offering the possibility of cleaning the wounds, not only to avoid infections (when diseases work correctly) but also to hide the traces of blood.

I think that Dayz Standalone definitely lacks a system of identification of "heroes and villains" (Survivors and bandits) as did Dayz mod (with the system of clothing, which I clearly would not want to be repeated in SA because it would lose immersion and realism). And that this type of "rewards and punishments" would be a good start to stimulate in-game roles and interactions, without losing immersion.

JG0GaLK.png

#29 PICKING UP ITEMS FROM WORLD ANIMATION

ILUSTRATION

2TdsitB.jpg

SUMMARY:  I think that everyone who follows Dayz news probably knows that the system of picking items from the floor/world will have a change with the possible implementation of an interactive icon in the center of the screen that indicates:

1) Which item is treated and

2) Offers the possibility of Initiate action.

tUYJPzv.png

All this in order to avoid having to use vicinity to find the small items lying/hidden on the floor and subtract some immersion with this.

When I saw this for the first time in the status report I could not help but compare it to the system used by PUGB (Playerunknown's Battlegrounds). Then I start to think that both Dayz inventory and the character control system can take a lot from the one used in PUGB. Its simplicity and the possibility of performing special actions simply by using combinations of keys (throwing items to the floor holding a key, lifting only a number of items and not everything with another key and similar examples) are super interesting things to "copy" if we want to avoid aspects that remain immersed in the game.

In this way of "taking virtues of other games" I think it would be interesting that, together with the new animation system, they integrate a “take animation” or "picking up things of the world animation".  This would change what is now as simple as that we press an action button and the items just disappears while we stand idle or we can run at full speed and raise the weapon of a dead player without any action simply by double click in vicinity.

Clearly I am not asking that every animation of lifting an item, opening a door or a can imply a complexity that makes the game a tedious and slow, but simply that when we pick up things from the world our character performs an action / movement similar that PUGB do. Either crouching a fraction of seconds or stretching the hand if the item is at our height).

JG0GaLK.png

#30 THE USE OF RADIOS

ILUSTRATION

TsdLGvA.jpg

SUMMARY: In one of the last status report Hicks himself spoke of the need to give a new role to the radios within the game. Being one of the elements capable of generate much more immersion and interaction in Dayz, I could not agree more with the idea of reformulate the way in which these work to fulfill this objective.

I will list some of my own suggestions about the radios but, regardless of that, I would like to hear your opinion about how the radios should work in future so that the players can actually give them use and, at the same time, the game does not become a “radio trolling” or loss of seriousness/realism in its use.

Some of my thoughts on this are:

1) Radios should be present at spawn (with batteries included)

2) The way they work should be much simpler. You could even assign a special key to use it (similar to what happens with the binoculars in many games, including the Arma series) and change the frequency with the mouse scroll.

3) There should be two types of radios: a) The civilian ones (walkie-talkies, spawn with character) b) The military ones (much more difficult to find/loot and with more power and frequencies).

4) Civilians walkies-talkies: can only be use at a short number of frequencies and with a short-band (people can only be contacted in a proximity of 2 or 3 cities of distance or equivalent in kilometers).

5) Military radios: can use all frequencies and bands, regardless of where you are. You can contact with any other radio throughout the map.

m8Hd6E8.png

6) There can be "X" special places where one can contact all the frequencies at the same time (only with a military radio). These would be: 1) Green Mountain Tower 2) Altar 3) Tisy Radio Station 4) Ostry. The idea is that there are not many places (maybe only 2) where you can send a message to all frequencies at the same time with the risk that players who hear it know that one is in one of those places. The further north they are the better.

7) Private radio contact system: We definitely have to create a private radio contact system that implies that even if another player (enemy) is close to us, do not listen (like the direct communication) what we are talking on the radio (a kind of private in-game communication system). This could solve the fact that, every time we find another friendly survivor and we both have a radio and want to communicate in game, we can assign a private sub frequency to be able to chat in game without needing to be passing our Steam, Discord, TeamSpeak, Skype or other type of private communication that submerges the game.

You can say to me: "that’s why you have direct communication for and it would be kind of unreal that another (near) player does not listen your voice when you speak". This is true, but we must also remember that it is preferable to subtract a minimum of realism in this aspect than to subtract absolutely everything using a program outside the game itself to communicate without anyone can hear us. Perhaps an intermediate solution would be that, when using a private sub frequency, our VOIP gets lower than with direct communication.

JG0GaLK.png

#31 BALOTA AIRPLANE GRAVEYARD

ILUSTRATION

gYu0skP.jpg

SUMMARY: Whenever I pass by the Balot Airfield gives me the feeling that something is missing. It is very small (in structures) and very large (in space) at the same time and I think it is a very unused and too open scenario where it is very simple to know if there is someone camping there while it is very difficult to hide in places that are not a clichè (ATC for example). Considering that the map is not going to get expand of any type and that currently (along with the beta) devs are working on some modifications to some areas of the map, I would simply like to leave a suggestion to make the Balota airfield a much more interesting.

Simply turn the airport into an airplane graveyard. This would not go against the lore of the game nor would it affect the loot or the central economy system (im not talking about adding new loot inside this planes). The possibility of adding destroyed airplanes simply for the purpose of greater and better ambience could be replicated (at different levels) in the different airfields around the map.

JG0GaLK.png

#32 NO CROSSAIR AT ALL

ILUSTRATION

xk2W0il.jpg

SUMMARY: This is a rather difficult suggestion to raise because surely everyone has their own vision on the subject, but personally I hate the current Dayz crossair. It seems to me that it is extremely invasive, enormous and annoying the general vision. Of course I have played on hardcore servers where the crossair is usually disable, but this one reappears when you point any of the guns.

Trying to think of some kind of alternative crossair, whether from its format, its transparency, its color, the moment it appears or disappears so as not to be invasive ... finally I wondered: it would be impossible to play Dayz without any type indicator or crossair? (Even taking into account the possible incorporation of the system of "highlighting" of items in the world mentioned in suggestion # 29). The answer for me is no. It would not be impossible and I think it would be the best option.

Come to this answer after seeing some videos of other games where the good aim depends on the intuition, precision and luck of the player when you shoot in third person and the precision provided by the ironsight when we do in first person. Neither more nor less than in real life. To give you an example, I leave this video of Ghost Recon Wildlands (forgettable game in my opinion) where it is played in extreme difficulty and with the crossair on disable. (From the minute 1:10)

This would also generate shooting circumstances much more random, longer and difficult than the current ones where firing from the waist with a Winchester, a Mosin or a Blaze you can make an extremely accurate shot by helping you with the current crossair.

JG0GaLK.png

#32 KEFFIYEH AND FACEMAKS - HIDE STEAM

ILUSTRATION

nvZ1ilD.png

SUMMARY: I take this idea from a concept made by "RWD Mods", a youtuber that usually make great concepts for Dayz and that I highly recommend along with "Game In Theory" (another user). The purpose of this idea Is mostly aesthetic but may have a higher implication in relation to:

1) Body temperature, being the head dress that increases / maintains the temperature higher

2) Along with facemasks, the breathing steam should be hidden when you use one of those, even the noise of the breath could be reduced after a long run.

u76jTTP.png

Ok guys, that´s all for this post.

As I said before, I have a few more ideas that I want to share but I need your feedback fist.

Sorry one more time for my terrible English,

tips or corrections will be highly valued!!

u76jTTP.png

:::::::: INDEX ::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 1 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#1 SURVIVOR'S DIARY AND MAP

#2 FIREARMS SIMPLE MELEE

#3 BIGGER AND DARKER BUILDINGS

#4 SECRET LORE WITH TIPS

#5 ZEDS ALREADY CRAWLING

#6 REAL POST APOCALYPTIC CLOTHING

#8 CONTAINERS =/= SIZE AND RIGHT CLICK TO INSPECT CONTENT

#9 USE DUCT TAPE TO SILENCE A HOSTAGE

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 2 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#10 THE BOW SHOULD BE A MELEE WEAPON >> PART2

#12 HOLD BREATH WHILE HIDDING

#13 TRADING SYSTEM BETWEEN PLAYERS

#14 BIG HANDBAGS

#15 BLOOD SPLATTER OR BLOODIED HEAD ONLY WITH HEADSHOT

#16 PASSENGER TRAINS IN DAYZ

#17 SCOPES REFLECTIONS / GLARE

#18 SAFETY ON STANCE (BUILDING TRUST AND DOUBLE CARRYING)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 3 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#19 TRAVELING ZOMBIE HORDES

#20 SOLUTION FOR GAMMA BOOSTING (RUST EXPERIENCE)

#21 ABILITY TO DESTROY LIGHTS SPOTS

#22 CROSSED WEAPONS IN BACK 

#23 TORCH / FLASHLIGHT WIELD

#24 BATTERY LIFETIME INDICATOR

#25 BLOOD TYPE LABEL IN BLOOD BAG AFTER TEST KIT

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 4 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#26 SPAWN BACKGROUND STORIES

#27 ALTERNATIVE HOUSES INTERIORS AND WINDOW BARRICADES

#28 BLOODY HANDS / FACE AFTER KILLING SOMEONE

#29 PICKING UP ITEMS ANIMATION

#30 THE USE OF RADIOS

#31 BALOTA AIRPLANE GRAVEYARD

#32 NO CROSSAIR AT ALL

#33 KEFFIYEH AND FACEMASK TO HIDE BREATHING STEAM

Edited by Asmondian
  • Like 10

i like the part with no crosshair and the face mask ( i would love to see hoods too ) .

• Like 2

Well, i love all these idea in the end, i'm only not sure about the crosshair, but could be a good option in any case.

Beans!

• Like 1

radios for everyone at spawn just break the immersion for me.why all the people have radios?i think that its like a mini mission inside the dayz gameplay when you are looking for radio and batterys.
but everything else i like.

Edited by kopo79
  • Like 1

Part 1-4, what I agree strongly with, and what I think would ruin the game. Ideas not mentioned is either more of a "meh" to the overall experience (not saying they're bad ideas), or I have nothing to add.

Agree with;

#1 Survivor's Diary and Map

Great idea. If the devs did consider this and tweaked it to perfection I think it would be pretty damn awesome. The map should have a simple paint or scribble system, combined with a diary or not.

I think the diary should be a starting item. Make it so it doesn't take up a slot in the inventory, but it should still be loot so a killer, or someone who just finds a dead body can identify the deceased, read their story and track their travels. A looted diary does take up a slot in the inventory. One can ditch their personal diary, to keep their identity a secret.  

#2 Firearms Simple Melee

I think this is an absolute must, and as you say the damage could be equal to that of fists. But the entire melee fighting experience needs to be overhauled anyways, so yeah...

#8 Containers

Small items that you would most likely only carry one of, like a pen, blood testing kit or fishing hook should have their own slots in a container, and more of them. It can be very frustrating to not be able to bring with you that one set of handcuff keys or that sparkplug you need because you have to leave your hatchet behind. 

If we do get a diary then maybe a pen should come with it, and have a "slot" in the diary, like putting it in the lining. 

#11 Blur On Scopes And Variations

Yes, yes and yes. Adds so much with not much effort from the devs.

#14 Big Handbags

Also a good idea, but what I like most is the suggestion to put the bag in your hands to access the inside. However, I think this should be standard for all backpacks. Double-click your backpack to access it, animation of player putting whatever weapon is in hands on back, in jacket or on the ground, and putting the backpack on the ground in front of him before being able to manipulate the content.

#20 Gamma

Something definitely needs to be done about the ability to see in pitch black darkness. 

#25 Blood Testing In Blood Bag

Don't have anything to add, but it's a great suggestion!

#32 No Crosshair At All

This. The crosshair has got to go. In first person view (which in my opinion is the only way a realistic and strategic game involving firearms should be played), there really is no need for it. You are instinctively quite accurate at close range without a crosshair, and if you want to peak around corners and look over obstacles without the risk of exposing yourself, that should be the only advantage you have in 3rd person view.

If you are going to fire your weapon, do so in first person. If your not armed with a semi- or fully auitomatic weapon and the distance is greater than 10 meter, aim before firing. 3rd person, and add a crosshair to that, is by far the biggest hand-holding there is in DayZ.

Also I am wondering, is that very weird limitation to how far up you can aim still there? I haven't played DayZ in a long time. I follow the development but have not really played since I noticed someone on the top floor in one of those big "farm hangar thingys", snuck closer and eventually inside to find out I could not aim at him. I had to be more than like 20-30 meters away from the building to even be able to aim that high. It was the most ridiculous shit I had ever experienced in a game and haven't played more than a couple of hours since.

Disagree with;

#10 Bow As A Melee Weapon

Being hit by a bow would definitely hurt, but there is no knock-out power whatsoever, and most likely beating on someone with a bow would just break the bow. Therefore using it as a melee weapon would be pointless. The devs should find a different solution to make the bow an overall more useful weapon. 

#17 Scope Reflections / Glare

Maybe I would consider approving of this if the glare would be very subtle.

For an example; If the sun is in the right position and the sniper is aiming at his target for a long period of time, the scope would gleam for one third of a second every 10 seconds as the sniper is looking at his target through the scope, and only the players who are in the the sights of the scope would be able to see the scope reflection. 

Other than that, no. Spotting a sniper just by sitting in a bush looking at a large treeline for a couple of minutes would absolutely destroy the game.

#24 Battery Lifetime Indicator

A better idea would be to inspect the battery and have the description add something like; You lick the battery and feel a strong/mild/weak current through your tongue. No more HUD, less is more. 

#26 Spawn Background Stories

You create your own story. How you play determines who you are, nothing else.

#28 Bloody Hans After Killing

Something about this suggestion just feels wrong. It would break immersion somehow. I can not explain it really. I would agree if you'd get bloody hands after looting a dead player, applying bandages or handling a dead animal, Meeting a survivor with bloody hands would be creepy, but it shouldn't indicate anything in particular. 

#30 The Use Of Radios

I like some of your suggestions regarding this topic. Personally I do not like the general idea of everyone running around with a radio. Find one, try it out to see if anyone is listening, use it with friends as a part of roleplay.

I guess I can just throw mine away as soon as I spawn, and if they make the radio so that when someone receives a transmission, I would be able to hear that transmission and locate the player, if close enough. Talking in to the radio should simultaneously project your voice as direct communication. 

Alright, that's it. All in all, great posts. Detailed and interesting. English is also my second language and I'm not going to spend all day correcting my post, so I apologize to all grammar nazis if I have caused you emotional and physical pain. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zRain Denk said:

i like the part with no crosshair and the face mask ( i would love to see hoods too ) .

Thx for the feedback man!!

5 hours ago, jostino said:

Well, i love all these idea in the end, i'm only not sure about the crosshair, but could be a good option in any case.

Beans!

Thank you very much for the feedback dude!!!. Yes, as I said, it is a difficult suggestion because there are people who would be willing to play without any crossair and others who could not do it. It is similar to what happens between the first and third person. I think the solution is always an intermediate point where the servers allow a hardcore (no crossair, no 3pp) or a normal mode (1and3pp, crossair).

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kopo79 said:

radios for everyone at spawn just break the immersion for me.why all the people have radios?i think that its like a mini mission inside the dayz gameplay when you are looking for radio and batterys.
but everything else i like.

It is true that it can be a little "simple" and that the "quest" of having to look for a radio and its battery to be able to communicate I personally love it. The idea of the radios was more to hear suggestions from the users on the subject because according to the latest status report, they will undergo changes to encourage much more the use of radios. One of them (Hicks himself was thinking about this) was to include them from the spawn, but maybe is not the best idea.

A way to encourage the use of in-game radios I think it should not be in a greater ease in its obtaining, but a greater ease and practicality in its use. The idea of private frequencies (similar to a whisp) for me would be ideal when it comes to communicating with other survivors you know instead of breaking all immersion by having to pass steam, discrod, teamspeak or other means of private communication outside the game. More features to the radios and speed in their use sound like the best alternative.

Thx for your feedback man!!!

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to go through the 4 post and give feedback about them. I will try to answer the points that less interest generated to give you simply my vision on the subject. The idea is always to put the ideas before different players of dayz and nourish me from their criticisms / suggestions / feedbacks.

Also I am wondering, is that very weird limitation to how far up you can aim still there? I haven't played DayZ in a long time. I follow the development but have not really played since I noticed someone on the top floor in one of those big "farm hangar thingys", snuck closer and eventually inside to find out I could not aim at him. I had to be more than like 20-30 meters away from the building to even be able to aim that high. It was the most ridiculous shit I had ever experienced in a game and haven't played more than a couple of hours since.

Yeah, still there. Climbing the stairs of the ATC is still a suicide if one wants to shoot from below. Hope they fix that with the new player controller.

Disagree with;

Being hit by a bow would definitely hurt, but there is no knock-out power whatsoever, and most likely beating on someone with a bow would just break the bow. Therefore using it as a melee weapon would be pointless. The devs should find a different solution to make the bow an overall more useful weapon. 

Firstly I think the bow is much more powerful than most melee weapons. Also, the logic of these weapons is also not simply having the ability to knock someone out.

What I meant especially with the bow as a melee weapon was not that you can hit with the bow, but considered a melee weapon for the purpose of its location in the inventory. Today, the bow occupies the same space as an assault rifle on your back, preventing you from carrying both (bow and rifle) at the same time. This prevents many players from using it.

#17 Scope Reflections / Glare

Maybe I would consider approving of this if the glare would be very subtle.

For an example; If the sun is in the right position and the sniper is aiming at his target for a long period of time, the scope would gleam for one third of a second every 10 seconds as the sniper is looking at his target through the scope, and only the players who are in the the sights of the scope would be able to see the scope reflection. 

Other than that, no. Spotting a sniper just by sitting in a bush looking at a large treeline for a couple of minutes would absolutely destroy the game.

It is true. Besides that would be very difficult to implement. After reading some comments on this idea I think it is not one of the best alternatives (besides being dispensable).

#24 Battery Lifetime Indicator

A better idea would be to inspect the battery and have the description add something like; You lick the battery and feel a strong/mild/weak current through your tongue. No more HUD, less is more. 

100% agree with the idea of minimalism in the hud. Perhaps a graphic identification system (such as: when a bottle is empty, it is represented by a empty bottle icon in the inventori and when it is filled with another, the same with a canteen or the wear of the batteries. In this case (batteries) could be with the light that goes out or blinking like when the power is running out) is the best solution to avoid overloading the icons screen. As I said, I am a supporter of a screen as clean as possible and I am not a very big fan of the new hud proposed by the developers. I think that, although it is a game and there is some information that we need to know through messages or icons on the screen, if there is a way to obtain that information in a much more realistic way, you should always opt for it.

#26 Spawn Background Stories

You create your own story. How you play determines who you are, nothing else.

Absolutely true. As I said, the idea is not to create "classes" within dayz but to give a bit of alternation to the spawn and the elements that accompany it. What voice you appear in a hospital does not imply that you have to develop as a doctor. It is simply a random feature that offers you an initial differentiation of your character.

#28 Bloody Hans After Killing

Something about this suggestion just feels wrong. It would break immersion somehow. I can not explain it really. I would agree if you'd get bloody hands after looting a dead player, applying bandages or handling a dead animal, Meeting a survivor with bloody hands would be creepy, but it shouldn't indicate anything in particular. 

I'm going to defend this idea because I think it even improves the immersion inside the game xP. I would like you to apply me a little more because you do not sound so good to discuss this idea. What I personally see that this suggestion can offer is: 1) A circumstantial identification of the person who has just murdered someone 2) The utility of the means (clothing) to conceal your identity 3) The possibility of giving greater use to the articles Of cleanliness 4) A primitive system of permissions and punishments for heroes and bandits.

#30 The Use Of Radios

I like some of your suggestions regarding this topic. Personally I do not like the general idea of everyone running around with a radio. Find one, try it out to see if anyone is listening, use it with friends as a part of roleplay.

I guess I can just throw mine away as soon as I spawn, and if they make the radio so that when someone receives a transmission, I would be able to hear that transmission and locate the player, if close enough. Talking in to the radio should simultaneously project your voice as direct communication. 

You should avoid abuse of radios if you all spawn with a radio running. That is clear. On the other hand, I did not quite understand the end of your message so I'm going to respond based on what I understood. What I said was a system by which the radio could just as well be used as a private communication system where the voice by direct communication is heard very low (like a whisper) while in the radio frecuency is heard normal. This would avoid just what (I think) you mentioned about locating easily the players who are using the radio to communicate.

Anyway, thank you very much again for your willingness to evaluate and offer your feedback about all the ideas !!! Really appreciates !!!

• Like 2

No trouble at all. Going through all four of your posts was good fun. Good work! That is community dedication.

Aaaah, now I get it. I was thinking that but it didn't click. Then yes, good idea. You have like a hatchet as a melee defense weapon and the bow in the melee weapon spot. Fair enough. Maybe you can still beat zombies with the bow, but with damage equivalent to a broom, and the bow would break easily. 

The feeling of sneaking through the woods, maybe quite far west, with a rifle of sorts in your hands because it's a hostile area, and you spot a deer. Pull the bow from the back, silently take down the dear. Yeah, that would fly. 

#28 Bloody Hands

I am mostly thinking that DayZ shouldn't punish nor reward players for being naughty or nice. Your actions should have proportionate reactions/consequences. If you touch a bloody body, your hands get bloody. That would be a fair consequence and would actually be pretty cool, but your hands could get bloody for many different reasons.

Maybe you were trying to help someone in need, you just killed an animal, you got shot yourself and recently bandaged yourself, or in the worst case scenario you just murdered and ate an innocent survivor for kicks as you are a raving psychopath. It is up to the next survivor you run into to decide whether or not you are trustworthy judging by your look and behavior, and if your story when confronted about the bloody hands is believable. 

There shouldn't be a way to tell what another player has done, other than using your own instinct and wit. It would also ruin the experience for all the murderous psychos out there as they would no longer be able to lie and manipulate themselves out of tricky situations. As much as we want them to suffer for their evil, they should not be punished by the game itself.

#30 The Use Of Radios

I did sort of mean that I do want radios to be kind of a last resort type of item. You should have it turned off most of the time, because if someone calls out on it the transmission would be heard by players in your vicinity. As well as I think that when you speak in to it, your voice is heard as normal direct communication. 

I can see some cool scenarios emerging if many players have radios on them.

Let's say you fall and break your leg in a remote location and don't have a splint or anything else to fix your messed up leg. You call out for help on all channels, and as it is a stealth breaker, only a good samaritan medic and a mean spirited scavenger with a taste for torture picks up the transmission. A pretty cool encounter is about to happen.

But look at it from the other perspective. Bandits trying to lure in hunters and good samaritans just to ruthlessly kill them and steal their gear. Players abusing it, talking shit, racial slurs and so on all day long.

I don't think giving a radio to everyone is a good idea. By the end of the first week, no one will be using them. I think it would be better if there are a couple of hot spots for radio spawns and batteries so that people who like the idea of using a radio could obtain one quite quickly and easily. 

• Like 1

Stickyyyy!

And this "bloody hands idea" I think Peter mentioned something like this a long time ago . So maybe we will see that ingame. But maybe it would be nice, if you get blood on your hands by looting someone you had killed, or if you had killed someone with melee weapons.

• Like 1

Well I kinda agree with the Radio's but I feel like there are 2 options; you go full hog and basically do something like ACRE/TFAR or just keep it plain and simple, anything in between would be a waste of time and effort.

Personally, I think radios should be properly simulated because radios would be hugely important in a post-apocalyptic situation. So for civilian's, you could just have things like:

• Walkie-talkies which work on a fixed frequency and have a short range and low output power
  • Portable (Handheld) radios which are more advanced and can be programmed and have a better range. You could have 2 or 3 models which have different maximum output power, frequency ranges and memory sizes (for saving frequencies as channels)
  • Mobile radios for vehicles and structures which have much better ranges and output power plus maybe have 1 model that can support dual channel. These would need big batteries and separate antennas but obviously be more useful [Up

Military radios would be more powerful but much more difficult to find and to upkeep:

• Portable radios have limited channels and power with some models offering encryption and some not, mainly used for "squad net" so talking as a group.
  • Mobile radios for vehicles and backpacks with much larger ranges and power and all support encryption but are able to toggle encryption when outputting (always accept encrypted radio traffic)

All civilian radios would be unencrypted so you could scan through frequencies and pick up other people's signals. You could also use different batteries, you can get larger batteries for handheld radios at a cost of weight and size, having the option would be nice. Also, the more advanced handheld radios and the portable radios should be able to set their output power so you can balance battery life and range/penetration. You could also find headsets to use with the higher end portable models and mobile radios so someone can't hear your radio when they walk past.

Military radio encryption would work by faction when they spawn but with the ability to find a reprogrammer (small device with a cable to connect to radio) to change the encryption so only the radio's you reprogramme can work together when encrpted. The frequency they should do is HF for long range, VHF for a balance of range and penetration (trees and building) and UHF for short range. Radios should interfere with each other if their frequencies are too similar.

I know this would be complicated and I wouldn't expect this until very close to release but DayZ needs a commitment comms system or everyone will just use Teamspeak which, in my opinion, would damage the gameplay. Imagine a person tracking your group down by listening into your radio frequencies or calling a server event by getting to one of the large radio transmitters and sending out a message. The dev team could work with the ACRE team as they seem to have done a lot a ready and could impart some useful knowledge and experience to speed up the process or ensure the implementation is well done. 

• Like 1