Sign in to follow this  
dorn956

Group UI

Simple food for thought (my new favorite phrase) - A grouping tab for the user interface.

I'm sure this was thought of in some form, but my idea of it may be a little different.

What about a group tab you can invite players to by name or through interacting with them? 

What the group members would see:

• When group member is direct line of sight, a small green dot over the friendlies head.
    • This does not mean that they cannot friendly fire or betray them, it's simply for better identification of who is on your side. LOS obstruction like bushes or a window will remove the dot. It has to be clear, unobscured line of sight to allow the dot. 
  • Along with this, maybe group waypoint settings with the same visibilty mechanics as the friendly dots?
  • Also, this could be a setting that can be turned off by server admins for a more realistic feel to it. 

I am trying to offer a way players can get the realistic feel without crossing a line that defeats that purpose. A very simple UI simply to assist in gameplay roles.

Honestly, I doubt myself when I re-read this. It feels like I'm straying too far from the surrealistic aspect if this were to be included. Also, it might be too close to Arma at that point for a standalone game with its own title.

Opinions?

I think this fits better as a mod than for the base game.
Not knowing who is coming adds something to the game I don't want to see go away.

But I got no problem seeing  how someone would like this feature, so as an option/mod it is worth thinking about, just not something I'd like on what ever server I might be playing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Not knowing who is coming adds something to the game I don't want to see go away.

But I got no problem seeing  how someone would like this feature, so as an option/mod it is worth thinking about, just not something I'd like on what ever server I might be playing.

I agree with Gobbokirk here, it takes away the tension. I have been in multiple situations with Emuthreat where we were milliseconds away from shooting each other. Even worse, Emu and I traded with each other once because of miscommunication. These are the things which make this game so great!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IMT said:

I agree with Gobbokirk here, it takes away the tension. I have been in multiple situations with Emuthreat where we were milliseconds away from shooting each other. Even worse, Emu and I traded with each other once because of miscommunication. These are the things which make this game so great!

14 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

I agree with both of you. I forgot mods were a thing, haha. Maybe this could be a mod, but if it were implemented into the game, I just had a thought.

In a realistic setting, when you see a friendly face that you know by heart (like friends or family) you can identify them faster than identifying a friendly with 1/6 face possibilities LOL

So what if there was a default time limit to identifying before the green dot shows up based on distance?

Like within 10 ft will be 1 second identification time; 10 meters is 2 seconds; A mile away is 6+ seconds... or something like that

This will keep that tension you both crave and feel has a large part in the survival setting of DayZ

Thoughts?

Edited by dorn956
Forgot a sentence
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dorn956 said:

I agree with both of you. I forgot mods were a thing, haha. Maybe this could be a mod, but if it were implemented into the game, I just had a thought.

In a realistic setting, when you see a friendly face that you know by heart (like friends or family) you can identify them faster than identifying a friendly with 1/6 face possibilities LOL

So what if there was a default time limit to identifying before the green dot shows up based on distance?

Like within 10 ft will be 1 second identification time; 10 meters is 2 seconds; A mile away is 6+ seconds... or something like that

Thoughts?

I agree on the 1/6 face possibilities here. I think and hope that in the future we will be able to tweak our character more to our liking. That way you get a wide varity of characters which makes it easier to identify a friend or a foe of course.

Although, if someone wears an helmet, glasses and facemask it's hard to recognize their face of course. I hope they can come up with some other form to identify each other without taking away that you can identify someone immediately if you see them. Maybe a custom badge or what ever would be awesome. We have the armbands now but a lot of people wear those and on a high populated server there will be multiple groups with the same armband. Perhaps in the future we can mix certain materials to get a totally different color.

But I'm sure your idea will be modded at some point. Maybe I will be the one to make this mod even though I won't use it myself.

Just now, IMT said:

I agree on the 1/6 face possibilities here. I think and hope that in the future we will be able to tweak our character more to our liking. That way you get a wide varity of characters which makes it easier to identify a friend or a foe of course.

Although, if someone wears an helmet, glasses and facemask it's hard to recognize their face of course. I hope they can come up with some other form to identify each other without taking away that you can identify someone immediately if you see them. Maybe a custom badge or what ever would be awesome. We have the armbands now but a lot of people wear those and on a high populated server there will be multiple groups with the same armband. Perhaps in the future we can mix certain materials to get a totally different color.

But I'm sure your idea will be modded at some point. Maybe I will be the one to make this mod even though I won't use it myself.

I'd love to see it happen :) Also, the helmet thing would be a factor of how long identification takes. With face coverings (dependent on how much is covered) the time to identify can be dramatically increased. Also, custom armbands or an insignia on a vest would be a cool thought for identification. Maybe with customization layers a lot like the CoD profile cards

At work I can tell who's coming into the office just by listening to them walk up to me.
Tells me I really could really use a new job and that there is logic to a system that would let you recognize people you've met before.
Exactly how it should show up to not make it to "Gamey" is a tough one though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gobbokirk said:

At work I can tell who's coming into the office just by listening to them walk up to me.
Tells me I really could really use a new job and that there is logic to a system that would let you recognize people you've met before.
Exactly how it should show up to not make it to "Gamey" is a tough one though.

Definitely. But all in all we will figure it out on post at a time haha

• Like 2

Just now, dorn956 said:

Definitely. But all in all we will figure it out on post at a time haha

This is why I like suggestion forums though, even if you I like them or not, there is always room for suggestions.

Lots of good ideas come from bouncing ideas back and forth between people.

• Like 3

I too would like a system for identifying friends that is authentic but not immersion breaking.

Waypoints and tags are definitely a mod feature best left off vanilla, and mods will give a lot of people the variety of experiences they are looking for in general.

With many clothing modifications and combinations you can make a fairly unique look which can be distinguishable rather quickly.

Also it's possible that beards and scars planned may add to the perceived personalities of our characters.

Larger armband color schemes, and more unique clothing configurations and colors are the most I would hope for at this point.

• Like 2

There's also the fact that the Devs have made like 26 different bodies, I believe I heard in one of the earlier SRs, though this will still not make identifying 100% clear. xD

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Espa said:

There's also the fact that the Devs have made like 26 different bodies, I believe I heard in one of the earlier SRs, though this will still not make identifying 100% clear. xD

You know, I think that was just for the infected but my memory could be flawed....

Off topic @Espa - is your avatar Mallory Knox about to shoot Scagnetti?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

You know, I think that was just for the infected but my memory could be flawed....

YESSSS haha. Dude, Natural Born Killers is one of the craziest and best movies I've ever seen. So trippy xD 

Ooooh. . About the Infected bodies, that may have been it. . But it was quite recent, of this year for sure. I'll see if I can find reference. 

• Like 1

I sugested something like this, but it wasnt so much for groups as for friendly players you already met.

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

There are models that I see on Z's that look perfectly human lol