kevo1414

Lets talk about looting and zombies/animals animations

Maybe this topic would be better to move in Suggestion thread but I also think that can be place it here. OK lets start it.

I would like to split this topic into two parts. In first part I would like to talk everything about looting (containers, time looting and looting animation) and in the second part I would like to talk about zombies and animals attack animations and skining animation.

1. part - Looting
What I really don't like about looting in DayZ is that the looting is boring and too quick. Looting a house, jecket, jeans, boxes, tents, bodies, etc. should take some time. 

You shouldn't be able to run around with your inventory open while looting, because thats makes no sense.

Looting should be very realistic because this is the main thing in the game that we can do and we do constantly. It should really feel like survival. Running trough a building and looting everything in a few seconds is highly unrealistic. 

To make looting more realistic and more fun/enjoyable we need to think about some things:

• Looting time (1)
  • Containers (2)
  •  Loot animation (3)

----------------------------

• Looting time (1) 

I think we all know what I mean by that. Project zomboid have this, Rust have this, Escape from Tarkov have this and it's pretty awesome.

For example. Escape from Tarkov did it quickly and cleanly. A simple "Search" button over objects to search it with a 1 - 3 second wait timer on it. I am not saying that dayZ need looting system exactly like this, I am saying that we need something similiar.

Forcing you to spend more time hanging around the dead body and thus putting you at higher risk than before.

It's a way to add a ticking clock mechanic to looting, and given that DayZ is at it's finest when it gets your adrenaline going, surely the ticking clock is a desirable addition?

By adding a timer - the ticking clock - to searching containers in the world we increase the risk of ambush. A small adrenaline increase when in high risk areas would be expected; doubly so if, whilst you had 3 seconds left on a search for example, you heard footsteps or gunshots.

• Containers (2)

I think this will be a thing but I still want to mantion how important that is for immersion.

Instead of a new "Search action" what about more places to search? I'm thinking it would be nice to have some of the fixed furniture become potential containers for loot. So instead of just looking around the room for extra polygons, you would just stand by the dresser or cabinet to see if there is something inside. This way a player can take their time for a thorough search and get rewarded with loot that the other players who just pop their head into a room would miss.
So no new mechanics, just more places to apply the current mechanic that creates a more realistic time investment vs reward payoff relationship.

• Loot animation (3)

And while looting someone's body this animation (another example) could run. In both example animation last for 2 maybe 3 seconds. In Dayz looting animation would last until we finished with the looting. This is great way to see if someone loot other's body or not and that's why we need somekind of loot animation.

I also think that you should only be able to put items in your pockets, hands and back into the quickbar to access immediately. All other items in your backpack or other storage should either take time to dig out or make you actually put the bag on the ground or create a new (cancelable) animation for rummaging through it.

2. part - Zombies/animals attack animations and skining animation.

This is survival simulations with zombies (ok with infected people). They are quite good at the moment. But they are not a challange. Ubisoft with Far Cry 3 makes some good animation when it comes to animal/human fight. We can learn something from them.

• Zombie/animals animations

What I think it would be great if zombie could knock you down. And in order to push him back away from you you will need to press E button something like that or like that (imagine zombie instead of dog/aligator). This would bring more challange while fighting with them. Right know they just wave at you and smacking you around and this is not scary.

Those zombies animation attack we could implement also when it comes to battle beetween us and wolves or bears. This would be a view from someone who is not involved in a fight

• Skinning animation

For skinning animation we can also take an inspiration from Far Cry 3. Far cry 3 use this animation for skin an animal. In Dayz skining an animal should take more time. Maybe 5-10 minutes depends on your hunting/skining skill? 

Let me know what you think? Would you like to see some of my suggestions in DayZ or this would not benefit DayZ? Do you like looting system from Escape from Tarkov. Or maybe the one from Project Zomboid? What do you thing about zombie/animals animation from Far Cry 3? Would those animation fit in DayZ? I really like this game but I just hope that at the end the game will give us challange and some enjoyment. Don't forget that this should also be a horror game. Anyway I think devs are making a great job so far.

Sorry for any grammer mistakes. English is not my native language.

Edited by kevo1414
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that a singleplayer game is not compatible with an Open World multiplayer game. Scripts must always be available for any multiplayer, which is extreme server load.

Looting, especially via Tab, is one of those many things which micro-break my immersion. By all means, make us pick up some pants and go pocket after pocket. Stuff should be both harder to see and to pry out.

I think my main problem is using the Vicinity at night and in all cases when you 'comb' the area while tabbed.

I mean no personal offense.. but those ideas are terrible. We do not need more "realism", we need more entertainment value.

I mean.. I can be homeless if I want "survival". 

If you want ideas.. how about when they make the single player game, they ramp up the difficulty on it. So give those players who opt out of online play a choice: EASY, or DIFFICULT.

In difficult mode, animations play longer for no reason at all. It takes you 15 minutes to cook food. Every 30 mins you have to take a piss, and that takes 5 mins. Every hour you have to eat. Every 10 mins you have to drink. One infected hit will kill you.

There.. does that seem more fun? 

Also.. too late for ideas at this point, BI has their plans locked down. 

IMHO the real wrong thing talking about realism and animation is the time needed to access everything into the inventory wherever the item is located. Just as an example think about the possibility to reload a weapon using a magazine stored on the bottom of a backpack in a few seconds... These kind of actions should at least pass through an undon and put on the ground the backpack.

For the sake of playability I prefer the actual looting-object switching system.