Asmondian

Dayz Suggestions Part #2 [With pictures]

UpivFci.png

Part #1 / Part #2 / Part #3 / Part #4

(With Pictures)

Hi again ladys and gents! This is the second part of some ideas / suggestions about Dayz SA that i have compile from my own thought and from some other user’s ideas (with some twists)

• If you didn`t see the first part, I highly recommend you do it I'll be very grateful: Dayz Suggestions Part #1 [With pictures]
  • I also recommend to check this guy’s wishlist that’s give me a lot of good ideas to imagine and discussed: Reddit Wishlist
  • Of curse i always recommend check the Reddit Suggestion threat: Click Here!

First some clarifications:

• English is not my native language, so I truly apology for the grammatical errors that may exist.
  • Post format: IDEA + ILUSTRATION + SHORT SUMMARY (I can amplify more in coments)
  • Each idea tries to be as achievable and reasonable as possible according to the Dayz spirit (Survivalism - post apocalyptic atmosphere) and actual game possibilities.

Let’s start (again)!

u76jTTP.png

#11 BLUR ON SCOPES AND VARIATIONS

ILUSTRATION

aWII4BW.png

SUMMARY: This is a 3-part idea.

1) BLURRY WITH SNIPER SCOPE: I love the sniper view of Dayz because is quite realistic. You don’t see the edges of the scope like other games or a blur background (I’m talking strictly of snipers rifles – scopes). The Dayz sniper view give you immersion needed and at the same time the dangers of “sniper`s eye” (when you just focus in the target and forgot the surroundings).

The only thing I would like to add is a simple blurry effect at the edges of the scope (inside part) to give the perfect realistic effect. Just a details, simply to implement (I think) but amazing to the sniper view.

To give you some reference: Example picture of real sniper (Im sorry for the nature of the picture, but it was the best picture to refer the idea).

2) BLURRY WITH OTHER SCOPES: Next we have other scopes that don’t have the black background. Instead, you can (unrealistic) see the background quite well (Same sharpness and distance) while you are using the scope. I’m talking about Kashtan, ACOG, PU scope, RVS, etc. For this cases I would add a blurry effect but only in the background. Some illustration:

OVITbTV.jpg

You can also use a motion blur effect that looks similar to this picture here and looks great: Example

3) BLURRY WITHOUT SCOPE: Finally, we have the no scoped guns (pistols, shotguns or just weapons without the scope attachment). When you aim any of this guns, there is no deep of field effect at all. You can see your target with the same sharpness of your gun, regardless of the distance. I propose (in the same line that the scope blurry) give some realistic and really cool effect like this: when you aim your gun without scope, your gun and arms suffer a little blurry effect (very light and minimalistic to the view). Here is some illustration with the before and after effect:

ldZyUJz.png

JG0GaLK.png

#12 HOLD BREATH WHILE HIDDING

ILUSTRATION

ZpcFVLY.png

SUMMARY: The other day I was a freshie and I try to kill a guy with a stick. He went unconscious but his buddies start chasing me. I run dodging bullets for about 6 minutes and I hide in a forest. Thy pass me by but couldn’t see me, but then one of them hear my breath at the same moment he was surrounding my tree. He found me and you can figure out the rest of the story.

I don’t want to limit the breathing sounds at all. I think is a great piece of the game and provides realistic situations. But I was thinking if in the same way you can hold your breath to stabilize your pulse, it would be cool if you can also do it without a weapon to hide your breath just for 5 o 6 seconds when the enemy pass near you or when you want to hear your be able to hear your surroundings. Of course, when you release the air, the sound should be even more noisy than normal… but you already survive the danger or identify where the shoots came from.

JG0GaLK.png

#13 TRADING SYSTEM BETWEEN PLAYERS

ILUSTRATION

hoIYf3c.png

SUMMARY:  I think this is needed a long time ago, I’m going to explain my idea that is not to fancy but I really think it could work. When you exchange a weapon or item with a friend, this is probably not needed. You just drop the item to the floor and done, he picks it up from vicinity.

But, most of the time, when we meet another player that we don`t know and you want to be friendly with him... one of the first thinks that comes to any player’s mind is: “Do you want to trade some stuff”? This is a great way to interact with other players and help each other to survive. Adding a trading system that works fast and simple could bring a lot of more friendly encounters and interaction between players.

HOW IT WORKS: Follow the image above while reading this:

1. First, when there are no players around you, the layer “TRADE” is hidden.
  2. When one player is near you (I mean, really close to you) it`s shows. If there 2 o 3 more players right next to you, multiple layers could appear.
  3. Then you have to drag the item to the TRADE section just like you do to drop the item to the floor. It would shout the item in place but you still have the item in your inventory (Implementation must require methods to avoid duping). The other player should do the same and his item will appear in the same trade section. Neither you nor the other player can pick up others stuff at this point.
  4. After this, you need to right click and trade to confirm you are agreeing with the exchange to each of your items and the other player do the same. After this, you can pick up others items and he can pick up yours.

Many games use this kind of transaction system and works fine. Dayz should have something similar. Maybe with some more elaboration that I can provide, but I try to do it as simple and achievable as possible.

JG0GaLK.png

#14 BIG HANDBAGS

ILUSTRATION

7EqiIyq.png

SUMMARY: If you usually play alone, you probably won’t understand the need of this. But if you have a clan, group or play on a RP server you know there are some people that are called: Looters. They go to military base to get gear from the team and full the tents. They are quite value these days since the multiple duping fixes.

So, without further introductions, the idea is simple: just add some big Handbags that have the capacity of a barrel (3 guns). It replaces your backpack (check the circle image) and reduces a bit your movement of speed. Same as the containers, you can only access the interior by putting the handbag in your hands. Big handbags can be used to transport weapons from one base to another, of course for looting and (when they fix the apple glitch) your squad could have a “carrier” that uses this bag to stock food, medicine and supplies. I think even small handbags are needed for some post-apocalyptic atmosphere.  

JG0GaLK.png

#15 BLOOD SPLATTER OR BLOODIED HEAD ONLY WITH HEADSHOT

ILUSTRATION

bJgjyun.png

SUMMARY: First of all, this is not a new idea, it has been already discussed in some forums. I think it could be amazing if this would be implemented and I do some research about it founding this pictures.

Nevertheless, I want to post it because I think is achievable at some point if you just only limit the blood splash to a “blooded head” when you kill a player by headshot. I mean: I don’t want the blood sticks to a wall or into the floor like this images, but it would be cool if the head of the character you kill gests covered in blood or just change the dead skin by one that have the face with some kind of “destruction” (no gore). It would be a nice touch.

JG0GaLK.png

#16 PASSENGER TRAINS IN DAYZ

ILUSTRATION

xyPe390.png

SUMMARY:  No, I’m not asking for a functional train that could transport us through Chernarus. Im just wander if Chernarus never had passenger trains. With the announced new railways, we can expect that they can add some passenger trains like the one of the right.

The kind of wagons that you can get inside, walk between the sits and camp through the windows. Where you can find food inside and have some more complexity of the actual cargo wagons that have nothing inside. I think If we now have the new caravan structures, we can have some passenger wagons too.

JG0GaLK.png

#17 SCOPES REFLECTIONS / GLARE

ILUSTRATION

Vx8yX2w.png

SUMMARY:  I know is clearly no time for this kind of idea and to make it even possible we need first correct all dynamic lights systems and some other priorities. But, it would be great if somehow Dayz have a good reflection system where, when you have the sun above you and only when you are aiming, your scope makes a glare in the opposite direction. (Check this example) This idea should work simultaneously with a good “sun protective items” (don´t know how to call it). In few words: we need the sunglass, the biker’s helmets and some other items avoid the glare for player’s eyes at the same time they make glare or reflection to others (under some extract circumstances).

JG0GaLK.png

#18 SAFETY ON STANCE (BUILDING TRUST AND DOUBLE CARRYING)

ILUSTRATION

JNkO9e9.png

SUMMARY:  With the new animation system this could be definitely possible. The idea is simple: just add a “safety on stance” similar to the pictures to the right where your gun can´t be pull out as fast as the normal stance can and you need to put the safety off to be able to shoot. This could be a simple animation (by pressing F5 for example) or, if you wish, you can add a “safety on / off” key to the guns (maybe by pressing the T key or double T). With the safety on, the rest position should be the one of the right (or tons of others like: gun aiming the floor, crossed arms on the gun, etc.) with the “quick aim limitations” I mention before (adding of course you have to put the safety off to be able to shoot). When the safety is off, you have the normal rest stance and fast aim as always.

What’s the propose besides the good looking? Dayz encounters and no KOS situations are basically generated from building some initial trust. When you meet another player (both of you with loaded weapons) the only way to create that trust is by putting your gun in your back or inventory (when you can). But what about you are double carrying? Some of you have to drop the weapon to the floor or put the mag out. This could be a better and more realistic solution.

u76jTTP.png

Ok guys, that´s all for this post.

As I said before, I have a few more ideas that I want to share but I need your feedback fist.

Sorry one more time for my terrible English,

tips or corrections will be highly valued

u76jTTP.png

:::::::: INDEX ::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 1 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#1 SURVIVOR'S DIARY AND MAP

#2 FIREARMS SIMPLE MELEE

#3 BIGGER AND DARKER BUILDINGS

#4 SECRET LORE WITH TIPS

#5 ZEDS ALREADY CRAWLING

#6 REAL POST APOCALYPTIC CLOTHING

#8 CONTAINERS =/= SIZE AND RIGHT CLICK TO INSPECT CONTENT

#9 USE DUCT TAPE TO SILENCE A HOSTAGE

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 2 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#10 THE BOW SHOULD BE A MELEE WEAPON >> PART2

#12 HOLD BREATH WHILE HIDDING

#13 TRADING SYSTEM BETWEEN PLAYERS

#14 BIG HANDBAGS

#15 BLOOD SPLATTER OR BLOODIED HEAD ONLY WITH HEADSHOT

#16 PASSENGER TRAINS IN DAYZ

#17 SCOPES REFLECTIONS / GLARE

#18 SAFETY ON STANCE (BUILDING TRUST AND DOUBLE CARRYING)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 3 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#19 TRAVELING ZOMBIE HORDES

#20 SOLUTION FOR GAMMA BOOSTING (RUST EXPERIENCE)

#21 ABILITY TO DESTROY LIGHTS SPOTS

#22 CROSSED WEAPONS IN BACK 

#23 TORCH / FLASHLIGHT WIELD

#24 BATTERY LIFETIME INDICATOR

#25 BLOOD TYPE LABEL IN BLOOD BAG AFTER TEST KIT

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: PART 4 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

#26 SPAWN BACKGROUND STORIES

#27 ALTERNATIVE HOUSES INTERIORS AND WINDOW BARRICADES

#28 BLOODY HANDS / FACE AFTER KILLING SOMEONE

#29 PICKING UP ITEMS ANIMATION

#30 THE USE OF RADIOS

#31 BALOTA AIRPLANE GRAVEYARD

#32 NO CROSSAIR AT ALL

#33 KEFFIYEH AND FACEMASK TO HIDE BREATHING STEAM

Edited by Asmondian
  • Like 13

I particularly like the hold breath idea. I thought a while ago it'd be nice to be able to hold your breath for a few seconds, just to hear your surroundings. It's irritating when you're jogging along, breathing like a 300 pound man with asthma, and you think you hear a gunshot way in the distance. I want to be able to hold my breath, listen for a few seconds, and then move on. I'd say the length of time you can hold your breath should depend on your overall stamina, as well as your current tiredness. I wouldn't expect someone who's just run a marathon to be able to hold their breath for very long, same as I'd expect that someone who's being lying in a bush for 5 minutes would probably be able to hold their breath for a good while. Holding breath should also steady your aim.

The other ideas are good too. A proper trading screen would be great, especially when swapping items with friends.

I'll respond to Part 1 here as well. I don't really have many major quarrels with it, though some of them seem a little superfluous, but that's fine. I think a lot of people take issue with the back slots for a rifle and a melee weapon anyway, but certainly if that system is here to stay I'd like to see the bow be stored in the melee weapon slot. It'd definitely get more use that way. As for post-apocalyptic clothing, however... eh. they're cool, for sure, but hugely impractical. It's kind of a trope that when shit hits the fan, the first thing people do is put on the nearest gas mask and fashion armour out of kitchenware. I would like to see long coats, and I would like to see hoods - though the devs have said they're impossible to implement for whatever reason. Scarves would also be nice. Improvised gasmasks, though? Weird goggles? Rags? Not too keen on that. A general reduction in the availability of military-grade clothing and a reduction in item quality (to the point that pristine items are very rare and valuable) I can definitely get behind.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

I particularly like the hold breath idea. I thought a while ago it'd be nice to be able to hold your breath for a few seconds, just to hear your surroundings. It's irritating when you're jogging along, breathing like a 300 pound man with asthma, and you think you hear a gunshot way in the distance. I want to be able to hold my breath, listen for a few seconds, and then move on. I'd say the length of time you can hold your breath should depend on your overall stamina, as well as your current tiredness. I wouldn't expect someone who's just run a marathon to be able to hold their breath for very long, same as I'd expect that someone who's being lying in a bush for 5 minutes would probably be able to hold their breath for a good while. Holding breath should also steady your aim.

The other ideas are good too. A proper trading screen would be great, especially when swapping items with friends.

I'll respond to Part 1 here as well. I don't really have many major quarrels with it, though some of them seem a little superfluous, but that's fine. I think a lot of people take issue with the back slots for a rifle and a melee weapon anyway, but certainly if that system is here to stay I'd like to see the bow be stored in the melee weapon slot. It'd definitely get more use that way. As for post-apocalyptic clothing, however... eh. they're cool, for sure, but hugely impractical. It's kind of a trope that when shit hits the fan, the first thing people do is put on the nearest gas mask and fashion armour out of kitchenware. I would like to see long coats, and I would like to see hoods - though the devs have said they're impossible to implement for whatever reason. Scarves would also be nice. Improvised gasmasks, though? Weird goggles? Rags? Not too keen on that. A general reduction in the availability of military-grade clothing and a reduction in item quality (to the point that pristine items are very rare and valuable) I can definitely get behind.

Hi men. I truly appreciate so complete feedback. Thx a lot.

• The hold breath idea: the possibility to hear your surroundings is an extra pro of this. Like you said, there should be a relation between time running / fatigue and the time you have that heavy breathing + the time you can hold your breath.
  • Trading system: sure. I don’t want to make something too elaborated because I know the common answer to this suggestions: “There are some milestones that devs should work on first”. But I just want to plant the seed to know if this idea could be possible somehow, sometime.
  • Regarding part 1 and clothing: I don´t really focus in the practical aspect of the clothes and that was a mistake. Thx for notice. I agree the clothing system must have a downgrade somehow and military and pristine clothes should be exceptional.

Thx again for the great feedback.

Asmondian, you are exactly what this game needs so desperately. You need to join the lead team of developers for sure. All of your suggestions are beautiful and would make DayZ a much better game. Especially the blood, for a game this violent, it ludicrously lacks blood and gore. If I shoot a player or infected I want to see visual confirmation of said act of violence, such as a blood splatter and enter/exit wound, not just a buggy ragdoll with ruined textured clothing.

Edited by billnyetherussianpie
Hit "enter" by accident.
  • Like 1

I suppose I'll respond to the additions too. I should be working, but I'm very irresponsible.

As far as I'm aware, the notifications will be replaced with a HUD using icons. Being able to customise those icons - being able to set how often they appear, their opacity, things like that - would be excellent. Large bags would be fine provided there are appropriate drawbacks (you mentioned a movement speed debuff.) I'd also say that larger bags should be louder when you move. Assuming the new stamina system will punish players for carrying too much, arbitrary debuffs might not even be necessary - if you carry too much you'll suffer for it anyway. Passenger trains is a great idea. They could contain residential loot and be connected to each other. They should be a good source of backpacks and clothing. Scope glare has been brought up before, and it was decided that it was unrealistic (the glare exists, but it's barely noticeable in real life) but I don't care. It'd be a cool feature, provided it's not too exaggerated. Love the safety stance idea.

Oh, blood splatter. I am assuming that's an incoming feature. I want blood to spray on walls, and maybe even for blood to pool. I'd like to see bullet holes too. Gore, like dismemberment, I'm not too fussed about.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2017 at 1:05 PM, BeefBacon said:

I suppose I'll respond to the additions too. I should be working, but I'm very irresponsible.

As far as I'm aware, the notifications will be replaced with a HUD using icons. Being able to customise those icons - being able to set how often they appear, their opacity, things like that - would be excellent. Large bags would be fine provided there are appropriate drawbacks (you mentioned a movement speed debuff.) I'd also say that larger bags should be louder when you move. Assuming the new stamina system will punish players for carrying too much, arbitrary debuffs might not even be necessary - if you carry too much you'll suffer for it anyway. Passenger trains is a great idea. They could contain residential loot and be connected to each other. They should be a good source of backpacks and clothing. Scope glare has been brought up before, and it was decided that it was unrealistic (the glare exists, but it's barely noticeable in real life) but I don't care. It'd be a cool feature, provided it's not too exaggerated. Love the safety stance idea.

Oh, blood splatter. I am assuming that's an incoming feature. I want blood to spray on walls, and maybe even for blood to pool. I'd like to see bullet holes too. Gore, like dismemberment, I'm not too fussed about.

I agree wholesale, I don't think dismemberment is necessary, it would be too much of a burden on DayZ's engine, but blood is a necessity for this type of game for sure.

• Like 1

Each and every one of the suggestions laid out in the original post of this thread are entirely acceptable and there's absolutely no reason why eventually they should not be implemented.

Your presentation is excellent and your ideas are well within the bounds of what we all want out of DayZ (including devs)

Great post, +1, it just might be awhile before the dev team gets to sit down and focus on polish and technically non-essential extras. But I have little doubt that eventually all or most of these will be implemented!

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Thumbs up to both threads, I hope the devs read it all, man!

Thx mate!!

Awesome stuff, Asmondian. I especially appreciate the graphics that assist in illustrating your ideas. Great suggestions all around both threads.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wolf of Thorns said:

Awesome stuff, Asmondian. I especially appreciate the graphics that assist in illustrating your ideas. Great suggestions all around both threads.

Really appreciate the feedback dude!!

• Like 1

The blur in scopes is unrealistic. In several rifles I've shot or owned, there is not blur toward the edges, save one really cheap scope I've used once in the past. I've used dozens if not hundreds of military and consumer scopes, they aren't blurry around the edges unless you improperly increase eye relief. As for motion blur, it just does not happen unless you swing the rifle in a long arc.

1 hour ago, DayZ Civ said:

The blur in scopes is unrealistic. In several rifles I've shot or owned, there is not blur toward the edges, save one really cheap scope I've used once in the past. I've used dozens if not hundreds of military and consumer scopes, they aren't blurry around the edges unless you improperly increase eye relief. As for motion blur, it just does not happen unless you swing the rifle in a long arc.

Roger soldier! xP

I am honestly not an expert in weapons nor do I know exactly the types of scopes that exist. I relied on several videos I saw about rifles and snipers where you can see that slight blur in the outline of the sights. Perhaps in the image I exaggerated it a bit to be noticed but almost always present that blur, either because the scope itself generates it or by the natural blur that produces the eye when you focus on the center of the scope.

Of course i take your word on this because I see that you have field experience, although I still maintain that the current vision that the hunting scopes have in Dayz seems rather unreal and to basic for a long range scope.

Thx for the feedback dude!

Edited by Asmondian
  • Like 1