Sign in to follow this  
ShallowTech

Back in Exp... Dying of Hypothermia

Raining like cray on US Southwest 0-4, keep getting Hypothermia and even with fire, it will not cure. Any suggestions? :-) Oh and Exp. appears to be back up.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ShallowTech said:

Raining like cray on US Southwest 0-4, keep getting Hypothermia and even with fire, it will not cure. Any suggestions? :-) Oh and Exp. appears to be back up.

I've previously been able to maintain a stable temperature in anything other than a t-shirt and keeping moving. I even laid freezing and drenched in the rain this weekend in a Gorka coat and warmed up and dried off without a fire.

• Like 1

so just get out of the rain and I will eventually dry out? is there a way to cure hypothermia once you get that low of temp?

21 minutes ago, ShallowTech said:

so just get out of the rain and I will eventually dry out? is there a way to cure hypothermia once you get that low of temp?

Take all clothing off, warm up by the fire, even 2 fires if you have to. If you don't see warm climbing then it can be a bug most likely.

23 minutes ago, ShallowTech said:

Get inside a house with a fireplace, craft the said fireplace, remove your damp/wet/soaked/drenched clothes and get close to the fire, you'll dry in no time and start getting warmer. You can "wring" your clothes while waiting by the fire, and put them back on. Bam! , you're saved.

Edit: I got hypothermia multiple times on 0.61 exp and only died the first 2 times back in patch 2 or 3, but for patch 4 till 16 always got saved by fires and removing wet clothes.

Edited by odin_lowe
  • Like 2

Okay I will try that. Does anyone know if "no warming" is a bug in exp. build, if so has it been reported?

30 minutes ago, ShallowTech said:

Not sure I stay moving until the rain stops or I start a fire if I'm not wearing a  waterproof jacket, switching to waterproof a water proof jacket while wet will slowly dry you out.

You have the debug meter in your top right, you can see if your temperature is ticking up faster than your health blood are coming down, when you have hypothermia you die fast but can bring it back depending on how bad you started or it's progressed depending on gear, and if you have a heat source.

**edit** some of the EXP regulars have a bit of a "swim club" and could maybe chime in a good explanation of "waterproofness" and insulation. Heating food and canned goods in a fireplace or on a stick and putting it in your inventory works killer for warming up or staying warm if you have to get wet as well.   

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 3

Yeah that would be great. I was able to figure out the fire place. If you take off your clothes next to a fire, do they dry or do you have to leave them on? Also I have cooked meat on a stick but did not know you could cook canned food, do you just stick it in the fireplace or firepit?

For staying dry, as opposed to getting dry:

A drybag or sposn, a raincoat (or firefighters jacket) and any helmet in the game (minus the tanker helmet and welding mask) will keep you 100% dry from the rain, so you won't need shelter or a fire get warm/dry.  With those you can stand out in the worst rainstorm and not get cold.  Gorka though not 100% waterproof is a very good choice this patch against rainfall, plus the bonus of better camo and extra slots too.  Pants don't seem to get damp in rainfall so any pants will do,  but if you're going to go splashing through ponds and rivers then get yourself a pair of firefighters pants and welly boots and now you're waterproof from the waist down too.  For swims even the best kit won't help much in the winter climate. I did my best "swim club" kit this patch and still was freezing when I got to Prison Island, which doused my plans to make a debug island swim.  I'm pretty sure that wouldn't end well.

Also, the white respirator mask is waterproof and gives a slight protection/insulation bonus (same for raincoat armbands), but most other masks that you can wear under a helmet will get damp - and dampness leads to coldness, etc.  The same goes for gloves and glasses, maybe a bit of insulation/protection but a negative when it rains.  (I think emuthreat wrung out a damp pair of rocket aviators last week - wait wut?)

Edited by GaryWalnuts

nice, thanks for the info! that will help tremendously!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

A raincoat or gorka military jacket - I didn`t even get wet in full rain weather condition with those equiped - so to save 2 spot in your inventory for a rain coat is worth it. :)

Edited by ori42

21 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

Okay I will try that. Does anyone know if "no warming" is a bug in exp. build, if so has it been reported?

Since pretty much .45 and as changes happen, they will look at it closer towards beta i assume.