Troll_Hunter

Restore trust in DayZ

As most of us are aware the current alpha version is mostly PVP, player versus player. Nihilism, kill on sight, lack of communication other then cheap easy gunfire.

I believe many people are getting tired of these types of players, and retreat or retire from DayZ.

In the past DayZ was much more PVE, player versus environment, and players versus game, as the game had hardly any instructions, and a difficult interface. People worked much more together to explore this new world, to ban together and survive.

Today the quality of the characters of the players is.. euh low, aggressive, non speaking, predictable and boring. Maybe most folk being anonymous are violent jerks and sadist? Maybe because the game allows people with no communication skills to easily thrive?

Trust.

I think many of today's dormant / absent player-base has stopped playing because they have lost trust in the game returning to the glorious level of discovery, cooperation, communication and diversity of players that made to game so interesting in the early days.

Proposal.

Dear Dayz development team,

Please offer us an experimental build that restores our trust and hope for cooperation and interesting interactions?

Maybe radically turn up the numbers infected in cities and military bases, reduce the number of weapons, food, increase the number of wolves, and make survival a team effort.
The game should be much more PVE. Maybe someday we experience hope (!) of running into a human again, instead of non communicating spineless kill on site losers, who are actually powerless in their day to day existence.

There is lot's of potential, please DayZ team show us.

• Like 1

In the past DayZ was much more PVE, player versus environment <- when was this exactly?... most of my non RP server encounters change from
'oi you drop your shite' to 'bullet whizzes passed ur head.. you are dead' mostly within minutes of joining because some punk 12 yo has ran towards mil base X geared up and just goes trololol bambi hunting
this has always been the case ever since this game came out.. this has not been 'different' on the servers I've played on which did not bare the seal: RP server in its title

'I think many of today's dormant / absent player-base has stopped playing because they have lost trust in the game returning to the glorious level of discovery, cooperation, communication and diversity of players that made to game so interesting in the early days.'
^ kinda true on that part.. only thing was.. most 'players' had the attitude of a fearless immortal john J rambo carrying around 7000 7.62 rounds they'd never use anyways because most people either shot zeds or other players.

I've only gotten PVE style of play on RP servers or PVE whitelisted servers. If you're on public it's PVP that is if you want to live for any real length of time. Other than PVP there really isn't much to do, you can loot and get all the fancy gear then what. Or you could make a camp full of goodies then what? Get a car drive around talk to folks but most do not care because they have all the same shit as you do so no need to trade or work together PVE wise because zeds aren't in high numbers nor a threat at all. There isn't any predator like animals such as bears or wolves yet. and the world itself isn't harsh enough to kill with cold/heat or disease. things IMO might change one day at least I hope so I would like to see the games survival be like the long dark but even then to most PVP will come first that's just the way it is that's where you get the adrenaline pumping the most and that adrenaline is what makes dayz the best to me atleast. We just have to wait and that's all there is to it.

15 hours ago, veshcula said:

In the past DayZ was much more PVE, player versus environment <- when was this exactly?...

Well, I played the mod a lot back in the days. And there zeds were much more of thread. Just yesterday in the standalone I was attacked by 2 zeds  fighting them in melee with a pickaxe. I took several hits from the zeds until I killed both and wasn't even bleeding. Back in the days playing the mod even one zed hitting you two or three times would easily render you unconscious or break your legs, so fighting a zombie was a real danger especially when you are alone and nobody can help you out by killing the zed and help you out with a splint, morphine or epinephrine. Not to mention that running soaking wet will actually get you severe problems with cold and freezing to death. As of now in the standalone running around in the woods soaking wet is not a problem at all. So the environment is no problem at all. Let alone than you can easily find enough food and (clean) water so you don't even need to kill a chicken for food or even consider farming crops.

If the environment was a real thread to a player who is running around alone or doesn't spent some time in gaining food there would be more pressure to team up witch at least one or two other players just to have some better chance to survive and have time and resources left to have the "luxury" to spent time in PvP other then defending yourself when attacked.

• Like 1

I don't think a PvE threat will improve the social aspects of the game much but it would be more interesting. I would like to see the infected spawn indoors, be relatively quiet and cause bleeding with a single hit. I don't think sick, starving people should be able to overpower healthy players, though. Players should be able to dispatch the infected with a single blow to the head.

Spawning with a turned-on radio and removing the need for batteries (until electric generators are added) would encourage communication.

I don't know if we will see these kind of QoL game design changes until beta, though.

On 04/10/2016 at 9:54 AM, Radibor78 said:

Well, I played the mod a lot back in the days.

Oh the Mod so DayZ wasn't more pve earlier THE MOD was. But worry not devs are on it. Just sit tight at this rate we'll have diseases somewhere in 2020 when we hit beta, it'll be all downhill from that.

Edited by General Zod

16 hours ago, General Zod said:

Oh the Mod so DayZ wasn't more pve earlier THE MOD was.

The Mod was for sure, as it was what I was playing most back in the days, stopped playing DayZ for a while after switching to the first standalone version. As I don't recall much of a difference between mod and first standalone version it probably was the same there, maybe not, doesn't matter anyway, as the standalone is the successor of the mod why discard things that were better in the mod and were the reason why the standalone was created in the first place? The mod IS, in any ways that matter, nothing else than an "early standalone" (it's not like comparing Battlefield with Myst here) so it is useless to differ between the mod and the early standalone version regarding features that should or should not be in the final DayZ standalone - it's a matter of does it make the game better or worse and reducing the risk of encounters with zeds is making the game worse to an annoying degree.

Part of any game is the 'experimental factor'.

A game is a simulation, with unknown and some known factors. When all the factors are discovered (initial exploration) what remains of the experiment is testing the possible combinations of the factors that make up the simulation / game.

Currently we know the game inside and out, and because we do it's easy to survive the game's environment. - we cracked that code. If the game consisted of just this we would have left the game ages ago. What keeps us playing is the encounters with human factors. We hope to have some interesting interaction / story with them. However the types of people that are playing the game have become boring, as the more interesting characters / players have (temporarily?) left the game. To me the game right now is like sharing a car with two raging autistic kids that entered the car to vent their frustrations upon each other and me, I expect no conversations.

I think Dayz needs to work on having the more intelligent and conversational (adult) audience back.