nufc1985

PC no longer good enough to run Dayz. What upgrades could I buy to play again?

17 minutes ago, SFRGaming said:

I'm assuming they were much older asus boards. I will admit their quality back then was not that great for some people. I've used asus in my last 3 builds and the boards worked wonders. Of course someone always gets that one dud (its inevitable). Nevertheless, always run what works for you

You are right, I am talking about the period 1999 - 2009. Don't know if they have improved since then, they have a great reputation (but always did) so many seem to be pleased about their mobo's.

Do you think it's just the graphics card that is the issue in not being able to play Dayz?

Would the GTX 970 be a good upgrade?

FX8320E 3.2GHz with HUGE OC power and R9 270X do the job perfectly fine for me. Cheap, but hella' effective.

1 hour ago, nufc1985 said:

Do you think it's just the graphics card that is the issue in not being able to play Dayz?

If that's what's in your price range then yes- it is a great card. You're not going to get ALL of its performance out of it with your older mobo / proc etc but it's definitely a huge step forward. Might be worth keeping your eye open for reasonably priced 1060s too...

Which GTX 970...there are so many variations. I want to spend £220 tops.

Would GTX be better than a Radeon?

15 hours ago, nufc1985 said:

Which GTX 970...there are so many variations. I want to spend £220 tops.

Would GTX be better than a Radeon?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

This is a great price for performance 970. The radeon is also a nice; however it is a slightly older card. On amazon, a used r9-270x runs about $150. While it's cheaper than the 970, the 970 is a newer card, scored better than the r9-270x on gpuboss by 2.1, and you get shadowplay so you can easily record gameplay with minimal fps impact. Not to mention, the 970 they used vs the r9-270x was a base model from NVidia. The card I linked has a nice overclock with a better aftermarket cooler so it will perform better than the 970 in the test.

Edited by SFRGaming
edited become eno cant keep from arguing with people

4 hours ago, nufc1985 said:

Yes.  I started reading the beginning of this thread today, and noticed two things.  You are nearing the end of the utility of an AM2+ socket, so maybe a new board is in your future in the next couple years.  But the card definitely needs the first attention, just to get the game running again.  I bought a 960 a year ago, and it has worked out just fine for me, for the price.  My only regret is that it fell just beneath the capability threshold for VR, so I will have to upgrade again, sooner than I thought.  970 is the cheapest VR-ready option, but the 980/TI, or 10-series have some decent choices if you can find the right price.  If you are buying new, do everything possible to not buy anything too obsolete, as I think I did with the 960.

Don't get a 60 series

1 hour ago, SFRGaming said:

. On amazon, a used r9-270x runs about $150 new. 

What does "a used r9-270x runs about $150 new" even mean? I'm dying to know since you were such a prince fighting against used cards for any reason ever made. 

12 hours ago, eno said:

What does "a used r9-270x runs about $150 new" even mean? I'm dying to know since you were such a prince fighting against used cards for any reason ever made. 

I mistyped man jesus. Why are you always so hostile. Don't make this another prick waving contest on someone else's thread. Message me if you have a problem with me

Bought the GTX 980. Dayz runs now :-) 

I can go back to being a noob 

Edited by nufc1985
  • Like 1

Okay, here comes the counter-intuitive part:  Try turning your settings UP, and then start dialing it back from there.  Putting the graphics settings on low just dumps the workload back onto your ailing CPU, instead of properly utilizing your new card.

Play with the settings and .cfg file until you get it just right, and then set it to read-only.  I don't know if it is still reverting all the settings to default upon restarting the game, but that is why I, and many others, went read-only a week into the experimental phase.

Good luck.

Is it worth buying a new processor for my rig (if it works with my motherboard) then I'd be all set? Since I don't care about hard drive space, I never really exceed 200GB out of around 600.

Or get a new rig and use my gtx980 in that?

• Like 1

New rig, i5 try to aim for 16gb since kits are about 100 bucks.

Decent power supply for your card. Ask the people in your area.

Plus you will get rid of that vistagarbageposOS

You aren't going to get anything for that socket that will run at anywhere close 3.0 GHz at stock speeds.  Keep your eye on the board/cpu bundles, and you can get an FX-series combo for under $250, or an i5 combo for closer to $300.

If money is that big of an issue, that you would consider buying another AM2+ socket processor, then maybe a cheap AMD package would best suit your needs.

I have a GA 990 FXA-UD3 and a Phenom II x6 1100T that are still suitable for my needs, though I do plan on upgrading to the FX series later this year, to squeeze out a bit more life from the board I already have. Intel ain't cheap.

Here is a requirement of a similar game with heavy ended specs.

OS- Windows 7/8/10

Intel i5 Quad core

8GB RAM (16 recommended)

NVIDIA GTX 770 (2 gb or better)

Because it is a 2016 game i would expect nothing less here.

Edited by sneakydude