Sign in to follow this  
jazzraill

Ideas about chernarus plus map

i dont play this game too much but i think all the cities and buildings in chernarus look and function the same. game has huge map but it feels like playing in the same place wherever you go . there are no elevational or geographic changes, or big mountains except north of the map. there should be some high mountains where you get cold if you go, or higher ones where its all snowy. then some areas with "fall" theme where most of the time it rains. some hills and cliffs with caves and some wildlife like wolfs and bears in certain areas that can be danger zones. some past warzones with dead bodies and burned trees and ditches, indicating that a war or the zombie breakout thing has happened. some roads should be full of wrecked cars and end with army roadblocks surrounded with dangerous wildlife. maybe some places where atomic bombs fell or chemical weapons used so you get poisoned if you dont go without a gas mask. there can be lakes and rivers, some dried lakes like it is in arma 3's map that is a flat space with no trees or grass. some burned forests and cities so that players can think " i am certainly in this area of map because there is no place like it" . 

• Like 2

It is based on a real geographic region so i dont think there will be too many geographical changes....look for other maps like Namalsk for that.

I do like the idea of each city having a different look, but just think of the massive amount of work that means...i am sure a modder will do exactly that though.

Areas of previous fighting between the army and infected would be great as well...the last stand so to speak.  Tisy may be that place in the future, who knows the Devs plans?

• Like 2

I don't like the idea of 'biomes'. Also, mountains are pretty freaking big, you'd need most of the map to lead up to the peak. There are rarely any major geographic changes over a short distance in real life. Terrain is pretty dull for the most part. The differences across different parts of Chernarus are small but noticeable. Up north are cliffs and woodland. The middle is dominated by open plains and patches of trees. As you get near the coast the terrain becomes forested and quite hilly. A crater caused by a nuclear weapon would be massive, and I expect that any radiation wouldn't be lethal enough to instantly kill. If it was then nothing in Chernarus would survive. Chemical weapons, maybe, but then Tisy will pretty much fill the role of a contaminated area. 

There are already lakes, and if you look around you can see what will probably one day become actual flowing rivers.

Caves I like and more evidence that there was military or civilian resistance to the infection (and each other) would also be nice - though the devs have done a pretty good job so far. I'd like to see more interesting landmarks along the roads, though, as most of the focus has been around cities.

In regards to cities looking unique, I think it'd be nice if each major town/city had one or two unique structures. Residential buildings will look the same wherever you go - it's not like there are distinct architectural differences between villages in real life, even villages on opposite ends of a country (let alone a county or region). However, if each major town had a building that only that town had, that'd be pretty cool. Maybe a unique town hall, or a unique hospital or police station - like the provincial police headquarters or something.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DemonGroover said:

It is based on a real geographic region so i dont think there will be too many geographical changes....look for other maps like Namalsk for that.

I do like the idea of each city having a different look, but just think of the massive amount of work that means...i am sure a modder will do exactly that though.

Areas of previous fighting between the army and infected would be great as well...the last stand so to speak.  Tisy may be that place in the future, who knows the Devs plans?

when modding hits the scene.. be prepared to experience total shock.. purely the fact that someone out there will manage to create a working electrical grid.. you switch on a powerplant (cherno/elektro/svetlojarsk) with a generator (that works on petrol ofc.) and a part of the map gets working streetlights.. thus showing that people are in that area or 'just left' just like we had in epoch mod.

and people saying 'that's not possible because game design/engine etc.' just KNOW that arma 2 was the main game.. what dayZ epoch and vanilla functioned on...

plus the fact that some working (or flickering) streetlights (one every 400-500 meters or so... ¼ or ½ mile or more per light.) create some more atmosphere in the game.. because there will ALWAYS be people that try to rebuild fix stuff.. not just your loud ass clumsy cars and trucks  

Edited by veshcula
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, veshcula said:

when modding hits the scene.. be prepared to experience total shock.. purely the fact that someone out there will manage to create a working electrical grid.. you switch on a powerplant (cherno/elektro/svetlojarsk) with a generator (that works on petrol ofc.) and a part of the map gets working streetlights.. thus showing that people are in that area or 'just left' just like we had in epoch mod.

and people saying 'that's not possible because game design/engine etc.' just KNOW that arma 2 was the main game.. what dayZ epoch and vanilla functioned on...

plus the fact that some working (or flickering) streetlights (one every 400-500 meters or so... ¼ or ½ mile or more per light.) create some more atmosphere in the game.. because there will ALWAYS be people that try to rebuild fix stuff.. not just your loud ass clumsy cars and trucks  

1) I would be very disappointed if that were to happen.

You can't power a powerplant with a dinky little gasoline generator.  The difference in scale is so large as to be mind-boggling. 

In order to power a city, or even a small town, you need an electrical turbine. Those turbines are large enough where they take up a decent amount of a building.

Plus, there is only one actual power plant in South Zagoria. It is in Elektro, and ran off coal.

Finally, the logistical difficulties with getting a power grid up and running, even for a small town, are so large as to make the project impossible in the post-apocalypse, or, hell, in many parts of the world today.

It, realistically, wouldn't be happening. Sorry, not sorry. I roll my eyes whenever I read this suggestion. Someone, many someones, apparently doesn't have a clue how logistically involved modern infrastructure is.

2) BeefBacon is right. You don't get immediate geographical changes in real life. Hell, from a Geographers/Geologists standpoint, most of the map in Day Z would be labelled as "hills". The only flat areas are the plains around Vybor and the Severograd river valley. Everything else is wrinkled like an elephants ass.

Case in point: one of the mountains in my region is 11 miles long by about 6 miles wide, which is basically the land area of my entire city, which is, in turn, far larger than any of the "cities" in Day Z. (you could fit Chero, Elektro and Novo within my city quite handily, and it isn't even a large city). Those dimensions are just for the actual mountain, the foothills for the mountain range a couple tens of miles away from the peak, and it doesn't include all the other mountains that are around it.

There are no actual mountains in South Zagoria, not in the sense that many people would think of. The "mountains" in-game are like the Appalachians or White/Green Mountains of New England: large rolling hills, with rounded tops. Hell, I think there is only one mountain in the game that is above the treeline, right? Klen?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

1) I would be very disappointed if that were to happen.

You can't power a powerplant with a dinky little gasoline generator.  The difference in scale is so large as to be mind-boggling. 

In order to power a city, or even a small town, you need an electrical turbine. Those turbines are large enough where they take up a decent amount of a building.

Plus, there is only one actual power plant in South Zagoria. It is in Elektro, and ran off coal.

Finally, the logistical difficulties with getting a power grid up and running, even for a small town, are so large as to make the project impossible in the post-apocalypse, or, hell, in many parts of the world today.

It, realistically, wouldn't be happening. Sorry, not sorry. I roll my eyes whenever I read this suggestion. Someone, many someones, apparently doesn't have a clue how logistically involved modern infrastructure is.

2) BeefBacon is right. You don't get immediate geographical changes in real life. Hell, from a Geographers/Geologists standpoint, most of the map in Day Z would be labelled as "hills". The only flat areas are the plains around Vybor and the Severograd river valley. Everything else is wrinkled like an elephants ass.

Case in point: one of the mountains in my region is 11 miles long by about 6 miles wide, which is basically the land area of my entire city, which is, in turn, far larger than any of the "cities" in Day Z. (you could fit Chero, Elektro and Novo within my city quite handily, and it isn't even a large city). Those dimensions are just for the actual mountain, the foothills for the mountain range a couple tens of miles away from the peak, and it doesn't include all the other mountains that are around it.

There are no actual mountains in South Zagoria, not in the sense that many people would think of. The "mountains" in-game are like the Appalachians or White/Green Mountains of New England: large rolling hills, with rounded tops. Hell, I think there is only one mountain in the game that is above the treeline, right? Klen?

in every possible post-apoc. movie.. first bloody thing that happens is people fixing shit.. getting their fridge working because solar panels.. you name it... so why won't the gas generator work? they're actually planning lights (like in construction sites) what do you think that runs on? 10-20 of those generators to run a mile of street lights.. for IDK.. 30 min... thinking outside the box here.. but hey.. this is dayz forums.. every general idea from people with less than 20.000.000 posts and 5K rep. is garbage 'because' LOL

and besides... fuel pumps??? where is all that gas comin' from for your truck that runs 2 gallons a mile.. you need a fucking gas station to drive those things.. regarding fuel economy.. so please bro.. don't bash people for having an idea that doesn't involve a AKM and a hunting scope...

generators are MORE efficient than most trucks/cars in dayz... and I'm not talking about the ENTiRE map being lit up like a X-mas tree.. I'm talking 'setting' 'environment' 1 flickering streetlight or a random working streetlight in the darkest place you can find in elektro.. 

again... all those gas guzzling WW2 trucks that you peeps drive and those lada's are even less fuel efficient NOT even mentioning choppers in later games... and regarding your 'infrastructure' I mostly ROLL my eyes when people talk about how little people know about shit.. then blindly forget that every gas station needs power for its fuelpumps to work... how many jerry cans are in this country? how much gas do you think you're going to find.. 

I'll give you a tip.. free 'o charge... NON! 

'realism'

Edited by veshcula
  • Like 2

Maybe the 'mountains' do not need to be as big and high as the Rocky mountains?

I like the idea to have a bit more elevated and steep terrain, with some cool rock formations, a gorge, waterfalls, mountain lake, cabins, mountain goats, curvy roads, hiking trails, ski station.

Maybe, in later stage, the game may have seasons, with changing vegetation, snow, ice etc. Forcing players to adapt.

It would make sense that people head for the hills in times of crises.

• Like 1

The biggest geographical change I want to see is running water. There are many creeks and even a river which you can see on the map and in rocky creek beds, but never actually any water except for the occasional small pools. The water needs to be visibly flowing with rapids, waterfalls in the northwest and the ability to be pushed by the current. That would do worlds to improve the atmosphere.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, veshcula said:

-snip-

You're all over the place. He said you can't power a city on a small generator - I'm sure you'd agree with that. You also can't just 'turn on' a power plant. However, there are a number of dams throughout the map, so maybe hydroelectric power could come into play - or maybe the devs will add wind turbines - who can say? 

I mean, before Whyherro was talking about changes in terrain, and then you go off about electrical grids? That's not even the topic.

Just relax. You came into this thread hyper-defensive before anybody even responded to you.

Flickering lights would be cool, sure, but I can't see why they'd exist. If there's no power then lights don't just come on for no reason. You've experienced power cuts, surely? Blackouts? There's not a lone street light flickering ominously when that happens.

If people want to use a genny to light up a few street lights then I say go for it. If the devs want to have dams provide power, then that sounds like a cool idea. That's not the topic, though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, veshcula said:

in every possible post-apoc. movie.. first bloody thing that happens is people fixing shit.. getting their fridge working because solar panels.. you name it... so why won't the gas generator work? they're actually planning lights (like in construction sites) what do you think that runs on? 10-20 of those generators to run a mile of street lights.. for IDK.. 30 min... thinking outside the box here.. but hey.. this is dayz forums.. every general idea from people with less than 20.000.000 posts and 5K rep. is garbage 'because' LOL

and besides... fuel pumps??? where is all that gas comin' from for your truck that runs 2 gallons a mile.. you need a fucking gas station to drive those things.. regarding fuel economy.. so please bro.. don't bash people for having an idea that doesn't involve a AKM and a hunting scope...

generators are MORE efficient than most trucks/cars in dayz... and I'm not talking about the ENTiRE map being lit up like a X-mas tree.. I'm talking 'setting' 'environment' 1 flickering streetlight or a random working streetlight in the darkest place you can find in elektro.. 

again... all those gas guzzling WW2 trucks that you peeps drive and those lada's are even less fuel efficient NOT even mentioning choppers in later games... and regarding your 'infrastructure' I mostly ROLL my eyes when people talk about how little people know about shit.. then blindly forget that every gas station needs power for its fuelpumps to work... how many jerry cans are in this country? how much gas do you think you're going to find.. 

I'll give you a tip.. free 'o charge... NON! 

'realism'

1) WHich is why 99% of most post-apocalypse movies are complete and utter shit. The reality of real life is that, without highly specialized knowledge and training, 99% of modern infrastructure(power, lighting, vehicles, fucking everything) would be gone. You can't just "fix something" if you don't know how it works. Tell me, do you know how to refine fuel from raw oil, how refrigerant chemicals work and how to make them, how to weld, how to make new parts for machines, etc etc etc, all without access to the internet and reading material? Like most of the population not trained in such matters, the answer is almost overwhelmingly no. ....... which is why I am so averse to such things, like fucking aircraft, being included in the game in the first place.

2) I know that the devs are planning on letting us hook up lights to generators in our bases. However, there is a very substantial difference between plugging in a portable stand-light to a portable generator (that is likely designed for that very task, mind you), and getting a power plant up and running. With the stand-light, you literally plug in the plug to the matching outlet on the genny, and pull the start-cord. Power plants require multiple engineers and a high level of knowledge to start, keep working, etc. It isn't something you can just "do", much like almost everything else involving modern infrastructure. Even a hydroelectric dam requires maintenance and a team of trained engineers. Do you know how to replace the governor on a water-driven dynamo? Do you even know what that is?

3) Where the fuck did I mention AKM's and hunting scopes in my post?

4) Yes, I know how gasoline and fuel-pumps work..... which is why I don't rely on them for my gameplay. Hang around this forum for a while, and you will realize that I am the poster who prefers the "primitive" method of almost everything in the game, for a goddamn reason. "Modern" things require a high level of logistics to upkeep. Firearms require ammunition, which means I have to go to a military base. Canned food means I have to go to a town to search for it. Meanwhile, leather clothing, bows and arrows, and friction-fires can be build in the middle of nowhere, with what we literally pick up off the ground.

Peace. Come back when you hang around more and actually want to debate the topic.

-deep breath-

In my opinion, the terrain we have in-game is fine. We have realistic ranges of hills, forests and plains. I would love to see actually-realistic flowing streams and rivers, but the engine is shit for that, so I gave up hope on that long ago.

I would like to see "seasons" pass. Right now, Day Z takes place in Autumn/Fall, which, while chilly, is still eminently survivable, with plenty of plant and animal-based food available. In winter, when the animals leave for warmer climes and the plants get buried under snow? Yeah, no. Best hope you dried some meat and set asides some firewood!

• Like 2

Any player who has a non trivial amount of gameplay in Chernarus could randomly spawn anywhere on the map and have a pretty good idea of where they are, simply by observing the terrain.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:46 PM, jazzraill said:

" i am certainly in this area of map because there is no place like it"

The above statement easily becomes true even if there were no future changes.  Personally,  Chernarus is more appealing with minimal warzone objects.  I find it more authentic and immersive that way. 

41 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

Just relax. You came into this thread hyper-defensive before anybody even responded to you.

I'm not sure why newcomer veshcula feels that his assumptions are law.  He feels the need to tell posters on these forums, who have been here since forever, (BeefBacon, Whyherro123) how things are going to be.  Many of 'insights' are based on the fact that he doesn't really know how game development works.  Also, authentic and realistic seem to be completely interchangeable.  I'm sure that once he's seen all these debates dozens of times like y'all have, he'll come around.

• Like 1

I would like to see more underground areas such as huge bunkers and tunnels throughout the map and also I think the police stations for the larger cities should be bigger so it would add some diversity to the sense of location

Edited by AceWonder
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Parazight said:

Any player who has a non trivial amount of gameplay in Chernarus could randomly spawn anywhere on the map and have a pretty good idea of where they are, simply by observing the terrain.

The above statement easily becomes true even if there were no future changes.  Personally,  Chernarus is more appealing with minimal warzone objects.  I find it more authentic and immersive that way. 

I'm not sure why newcomer veshcula feels that his assumptions are law.  He feels the need to tell posters on these forums, who have been here since forever, (BeefBacon, Whyherro123) how things are going to be.  Many of 'insights' are based on the fact that he doesn't really know how game development works.  Also, authentic and realistic seem to be completely interchangeable.  I'm sure that once he's seen all these debates dozens of times like y'all have, he'll come around.

I'll just requote this incase you missed it bud: 'thinking outside the box here.. but hey.. this is dayz forums.. every general idea from people with less than 20.000.000 posts and 5K rep. is garbage'

meaning.. that people with not enough + signs behind their name aren't credible on this forum because 'they don't know shit about anything' in most people's opinion..
check Whyherro123 for example... clear cut.. classic case of 'I have X amount of cred. you have non.. stfu I'm right because thats how forum shit works..
NOPE... thats how people THINK the internet works...

to you parazight.. I'd suggest getting your head screwed on right.. because:

'I'm not sure why newcomer veshcula feels that his assumptions are law.  He feels the need to tell posters on these forums, who have been here since forever,' <- is in fact ASSUMING I don't know shit.. because other people have 'been here for ages' LOL talk about assuming something because of 'time passed on forum X, being friendless enough and a big enough fanboy to have over 2k posts because (as you've clearly demonstrated by naming all the folks with high rep and post count) you're not worth shit according to people like you.. because 'your forum cred. says so' newsflash pal.. forums don't say jack.. and internet rep. I'm sorry for not giving a flying pigtail.. but internet rep. is about as true as the idea of this game ever being finished... vague/very small/almost a lie.

best regards.

Edited by veshcula

2 hours ago, veshcula said:

I'll just requote this incase you missed it bud: 'thinking outside the box here.. but hey.. this is dayz forums.. every general idea from people with less than 20.000.000 posts and 5K rep. is garbage'

meaning.. that people with not enough + signs behind their name aren't credible on this forum because 'they don't know shit about anything' in most people's opinion..
check Whyherro123 for example... clear cut.. classic case of 'I have X amount of cred. you have non.. stfu I'm right because thats how forum shit works..
NOPE... thats how people THINK the internet works...

to you parazight.. I'd suggest getting your head screwed on right.. because:

'I'm not sure why newcomer veshcula feels that his assumptions are law.  He feels the need to tell posters on these forums, who have been here since forever,' <- is in fact ASSUMING I don't know shit.. because other people have 'been here for ages' LOL talk about assuming something because of 'time passed on forum X, being friendless enough and a big enough fanboy to have over 2k posts because (as you've clearly demonstrated by naming all the folks with high rep and post count) you're not worth shit according to people like you.. because 'your forum cred. says so' newsflash pal.. forums don't say jack.. and internet rep. I'm sorry for not giving a flying pigtail.. but internet rep. is about as true as the idea of this game ever being finished... vague/very small/almost a lie.

best regards.

No. Regardless of how many posts somebody has made, or the rep that they have, if an idea is good then it will be supported. If an idea is flawed then it will be criticised - that's just the way of it. People with more posts and more rep are more likely to be better received because they, typically, understand the game and the community better than the people who are new and so are more likely to post things that the community will agree with. I don't think people make a pre-judgement. People don't automatically like something that a forum regular has posted, and they don't automatically discredit something a new person has posted. The issue that people are having with you is that you've stormed into a thread talking about something that isn't even related to the topic, and then declared that nobody likes your ideas before anybody has even responded to you. Then, when people do respond, you declare that your idea only got criticised because you've not been around very long, even though nobody outright disagreed with you at any point - they, we, just pointed out a few flaws with your idea. People are trying to facilitate a discussion - even though this isn't the thread for it - but you act as though everyone is waving burning torches and pitchforks. Chill.

Whyherro at no point implied that his opinion was worth more than yours. What he said is that he is very well known for being strongly in favour of the more survival-focused aspect of DayZ. Tanning leather, hunting animals, making fires, stuff like that. Others might be more interested in finding the most kitted M4 that they can, getting into an Apache gunship and levelling Cherno with rockets. Both are perfectly valid. I, as most players do, sit somewhere in the middle. So when he brings up the fact that he is very well known for sitting on one end of the spectrum rather than the other, and then you accuse him of only being interested in suggestions revolving around military-grade weapons, he corrected you... and you interpret that as "I'm right because I have more posts than you." Hell, he agreed with you when you mentioned that fuel pumps don't work without power.

So yeah. Relax. Maybe post something related to the actual topic. You could even post your own thread regarding power plants and such - as I said before I'd be in favour of hydroelectric dams. I suspect Whyherro would be against hydroelectric dams for reasons he's outlined - realism and authenticity is something Parazight touched on, which is a recurring theme in DayZ discussions. People won't just discredit me because Whyherro has more rep, they'll judge me based on whatever arguments I make. Make a good argument, respecting authenticity and realism and gameplay implications, and people will at the very least respect your opinion, even if they don't agree with it. Being generally rude (by posting something completely unrelated on somebody else's thread, for one example) isn't the way to go.

-

Rocket, years ago, mentioned flowing rivers. I don't expect it's something that's incredibly hard to implement - in its most basic form it'd be little more than a scrolling water texture. Plenty of games have done it in various ways. I don't expect there'd need to be water physics or anything over-complicated like that. I'm hoping they add at least one wide river that only has a couple of bridges over it, but lots of little streams would be wonderful too.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BeefBacon said:

-sip-

Damn straight.

One thing you "new posters" don't understand, and this isn't to knock you, but us posters that have been here a while have seen posts like these, sometimes with the exact same suggestion, literally tens of times. I have seen this very suggestion at least 5 times since January 2015.

It gets..... draining(?) to see the same thing over and over, mostly because people apparently don't know what a search bar is, but also because, well, we have seen it all before, seen all the arguments, rebutted all the points, etc. 

If we come across as rude or condescending towards your opinion, don't take it personally, and ask yourself: does this seem like something that might get suggested a lot? If you have to think about it, chances are almost overwhelmingly "yes", and "we" have read the same thing over and over again for the last 3 or so years.

Oh, and the rude, off-topic responses never help matters.

-extra post, if a mod could delete pretty-pwease

Edited by Whyherro123

14 hours ago, veshcula said:

best regards.

Thanks!

In my opinion, one of the greatest things DayZ could accomplish is to actually separate itself from Chernarus.  I know, it sounds wacky, just hang on.  BI, with DayZ, has built a box, filled it with sand, and is now building all the tools so that players can design their own castles.  Akin to what DemonGroover said above, there will be more maps.  From modders!  You make a really cool looking sandbox and kids from all over the neighborhood will come to play in it.  DayZ stays fresh, everybody wins.

• Like 1

How about a major increased zombie count, especially for the major cites( It would be great to see streets filled with hordes of zombies, while trying to make it to a police station for loot and also having to worry about other players too. THAT WOULD DEFINITELY ADD TO THE SUSPENSE!!!!!!)

The only thing I could see with having to do with power would be a personal generator that you fix up and it could, in total, power a house/small building. That is it. - It would be neat, still, and give distinct groups plans to 'fix' a town. . But it would be hard as hell and very time consuming. - Also, you'd have to get those things powered by gasoline, which. . is likely not going to be a continuous resource. (Maybe it will be?)

Zombies will get their day and have better actions, dynamic spawning, better noises, and scarier movement, I am sure. - I would personally like one of those things to be leaping through windows and breaking down doors - Let alone hunting for prey. That would be fantastic.

More areas to attach to DayZ would be interesting. DLC/Mods that would add more islands, or another southern area passed the edge of our map at the moment, would be interesting. Who knows what will come.

• Like 1

I really hope that the vault door under the Tisy Camo building is the start of an epic underground installation,
I saw the air vents on the surface :D
I live in Bath UK we had during WWI & WWII the largest underground ammo storage in Europe, I've been exploring it's epic!

DayZ devs I can provide a floor plan XD

• Like 1