Sign in to follow this  
veshcula

Alcohol and drugs in Standalone

I'm just wondering, I've seen and heard about weed/alcohol being in the PBO files, when will stuff like cigarettes, weed, alcohol (alcohol/moonshine recipe?) be added in the game? plus the side effects of course because hey.. what fun would it be smoking a joint and not be stoned/slow reacting when you're walking in cherno?

I know this is something that'll probably be added in the final patches (if its added at all!) but it would make for so much more RP in general.. weed growers/dealers/moonshiners/bartenders?
since this game is about RP and this is the apocalypse.. what would you do for a tokes of a good cigarette you've been craving for 2.5 years now? or that cold can of beer that you will find in a truck somewhere or a car.. 

I'd love to see these things get added.. we don't need more 'guns'
all we need is air transportation..
a few low key (dirt bike/quad/scooter/bicycle)
to get us around and some more cars
(10 trucks/15 sedans/4 choppers/20 bikes/quads since the map will become bigger over time (tisy military base anyone?)

since this is an entire country.. you can't tell me there are 10 cars, 3 bikes and 3 working choppers when this game is finished... 
again people this country is the size of luxembourge

As much as im against the use of this kind of shit i think it should be a choice available to players in game. Including all the horrible side effects and stuff that go with it. Certain drugs should effect your motor skills and perception of things in a negative way. And if you take to much of say the more dangerous types of illegal drugs and medication there should be chances for high addictions and overdoes's. Also you don't want to be high when your going into a fucking huge infected area but it should be something you can do on lets say down time out in the woods or at your camp where you know your a tad bit safer and have time for the side effects to ware off.

Also i feel that this should be in the suggestions department its not a bad idea really.

Edited by Deathlove

1 hour ago, veshcula said:

to get us around and some more cars
(10 trucks/15 sedans/4 choppers/20 bikes/quads since the map will become bigger over time (tisy military base anyone?)

since this is an entire country.. you can't tell me there are 10 cars, 3 bikes and 3 working choppers when this game is finished... 

You would not need more cars, but a different spawn system. With the current system, within hours after server start, big groups will take all vehicles they can take for their base. Log in a day later and you will not find a vehicle unless you rob a base. All vehicles spawning at server start might not be the best solution.

1 hour ago, Deathlove said:

As much as im against the use of this kind of shit i think it should be a choice available to players in game. Including all the horrible side effects and stuff that go with it. Certain drugs should effect your motor skills and perception of things in a negative way. And if you take to much of say the more dangerous types of illegal drugs and medication there should be chances for high addictions and overdoes's. Also you don't want to be high when your going into a fucking huge infected area but it should be something you can do on lets say down time out in the woods or at your camp where you know your a tad bit safer and have time for the side effects to ware off.

Also i feel that this should be in the suggestions department its not a bad idea really.

'As much as im against the use of this kind of shit i think it should be a choice available to players in game. Including all the horrible side effects and stuff that go with it.' <- you are obviously bible or southpark smart when it comes to drugs..

I wasn't talking about heroin/meth amphetamine/cocaine or some other form of gutter cleaner.. you might perceive as a drug..

I was talking about weed/hasj/cannabis.. if you have any idea about not only the negative things.. but also the positive things.. I mean weed has been around longer than religion let me tell you.. 

and.. 'the horrible side effects and stuff that go with it.' <- you're talking about alcohol here.. and weed.. only things these 'drugs' do is get you drunk/tipsy OR chill you the hell out/relieve pain. (yes cannabis in certain degrees is a painkiller!) just like your pill popping pharma company you pay a shitload of money to each time you get sick..

so please darling.. educate yourself before going on a 'drugs are bad because mommy said so' rampage :D thank you
and like it said: I've seen and heard about weed/alcohol being in the PBO files 

^ in short.. its already in the program file.. but NOT in game/visualized yet

then again... this is the apocalypse.. WHAT do YOU think are the most sought after things in a world like dayz?

- F
- W
- F
- A
- T
- A
- D
- F

1 hour ago, Noctoras said:

You would not need more cars, but a different spawn system. With the current system, within hours after server start, big groups will take all vehicles they can take for their base. Log in a day later and you will not find a vehicle unless you rob a base. All vehicles spawning at server start might not be the best solution.

the reason people steal all these cars.. is so they have storage space.. not so they can drive around in them.. I play on a RP server.. yes cars are a good choice for transport.. and i'm not talking about a V3S and a sedan in general.. i'm talking about a quad or motor cross bike.. (holds.. 2/4 slots?) so no use for hauling HUGE ass gear in.. just to get you from point A (the coast maybe?) to point B (tisy military base/elektro/zelonogorsk/svetlojarsk? you name it man.. ;)

Edited by veshcula

36 minutes ago, veshcula said:

<- you are obviously bible or southpark smart when it comes to drugs..
so please darling.. educate yourself before going on a 'drugs are bad because mommy said so' rampage :D thank you

Dont be a cunt.

While some of these things you listed might have some medical benefits iv seen what they do with other ppl. They make them lazy and fucking stupid for the most part. So don't be calling me bible or southpark smart please. I was for the idea of having this be in games but since your a fucking dick i could give a rats ass if it ever comes in.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deathlove said:

Dont be a cunt.

While some of these things you listed might have some medical benefits iv seen what they do with other ppl. They make them lazy and fucking stupid for the most part. So don't be calling me a bible or southpark smart please. I was for the idea of having this be in games but since your a fucking dick i could give a rats ass if it ever comes in.

I've seen and heard about weed/alcohol being in the PBO files  (takes another toke from his joint)
happy trails fellow camper :D

3 minutes ago, veshcula said:

I've seen and heard about weed/alcohol being in the PBO files  (takes another toke from his joint)
happy trails fellow camper :D

And just because you see it in PBO files doesn't mean it will ever come in ether. They said the same thing about scat about a year or so back.

1 minute ago, Deathlove said:

And just because you see it in PBO files doesn't mean it will ever come in ether. They said the same thing about scat about a year or so back.

then being there says a thing or 2... ;) just saying.. a post apoc game without drugs/alcohol!! really? you didn't solve my riddle did you?.. doubtful you actually did.. its very hard :D 

then again... this is the apocalypse.. WHAT do YOU think are the most sought after things in a world like dayz?

- Food
- Water
- Firearms
- Ammunition
- Tabacco
- Alcohol
- Drgus
- Female companionship! :O

I play on a RP server... so yes these things would improve the experience of 'your story' <- isn't this what dayz WANTS to be/become/look like?

all these things don't apply on a pvp/rambo will be here/COD server like most publics..

Sounds like a waste of time in my opinion. Drugs and alcohol are a luxury of a world before the Z-poc.

Only use for alcohol I see is for disinfectant, and the only drugs I can imagine being needed are painkillers. Anything else would be extra fluff that doesn't really fit in with the bigger picture.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CornProducts said:

Sounds like a waste of time in my opinion. Drugs and alcohol are a luxury of a world before the Z-poc.

Only use for alcohol I see is for disinfectant, and the only drugs I can imagine being needed are painkillers. Anything else would be extra fluff that doesn't really fit in with the bigger picture.

Fermented (aka beer, cider, wine) alcohols are often a source of easy-to-digest calories. Beer is often called "liquid bread" for a reason. Not to mention being easy to make and tasty. With the amount of apples you can find in South Zagoria, I am surprised that there wasn't a cider-making tradition in the area.

Hard cider is stupidly easy to make. Mash up some apples, strain out the chunky bits (and press these chunky bits for more juice), collect the juice in a sterilized glass (I use plastic, but it is harder to clean), cover the opening with a piece of cloth, and let it sit for a month or so. When it stops fizzing and bubbling, you can either drink it straight or distill it ( a crude distillation system is also pretty simple to make) to make the hard alcohol applejack.

Alcohol, both "soft" and "hard", have many purposes in a post-apocalyptic survival situation. You can drink it, use it as a medical disinfectant, run certain types of engine with it, purify water with it, use it as a solvent, barter with it (I hold the belief that alcohol would be the basis of most post-apocalyptic currencies/trading systems), etc. In the US Colonial period, often times the first thing the colonists would do when building a settlement would be 1) set up defenses, 2) build a "common house", 3) find/build a facility to produce alcohol

And, contrary to popular opinion, comfort and relaxation are actually very important in a survival situation, post-apocalypse especially. If you are stressed out all the time, your immune system will take a hit, as well as your ability to get restful sleep and your bodies' ability to heal. Which is why I would love for the game to include things like actual furniture for bases, "sleeping", and things to relax with. At the end of a long day farming crops, searching for loot, hiking rugged terrain and possibly fighting bandits and the infected, what sounds pretty good? Sitting in a comfortable chair, in a waterproof and warm shelter, with a warm fire and a tall glass of brew.

If/when smokeables are included, then they should definitely include downsides. Decreased stamina, for one. Alcohol could increase weapon sway.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

Fermented (aka beer, cider, wine) alcohols are often a source of easy-to-digest calories. Beer is often called "liquid bread" for a reason. Not to mention being easy to make and tasty. With the amount of apples you can find in South Zagoria, I am surprised that there wasn't a cider-making tradition in the area.

Hard cider is stupidly easy to make. Mash up some apples, strain out the chunky bits (and press these chunky bits for more juice), collect the juice in a sterilized glass (I use plastic, but it is harder to clean), cover the opening with a piece of cloth, and let it sit for a month or so. When it stops fizzing and bubbling, you can either drink it straight or distill it ( a crude distillation system is also pretty simple to make) to make the hard alcohol applejack.

Alcohol, both "soft" and "hard", have many purposes in a post-apocalyptic survival situation. You can drink it, use it as a medical disinfectant, run certain types of engine with it, purify water with it, use it as a solvent, barter with it (I hold the belief that alcohol would be the basis of most post-apocalyptic currencies/trading systems), etc. In the US Colonial period, often times the first thing the colonists would do when building a settlement would be 1) set up defenses, 2) build a "common house", 3) find/build a facility to produce alcohol

And, contrary to popular opinion, comfort and relaxation are actually very important in a survival situation, post-apocalypse especially. If you are stressed out all the time, your immune system will take a hit, as well as your ability to get restful sleep and your bodies' ability to heal. Which is why I would love for the game to include things like actual furniture for bases, "sleeping", and things to relax with. At the end of a long day farming crops, searching for loot, hiking rugged terrain and possibly fighting bandits and the infected, what sounds pretty good? Sitting in a comfortable chair, in a waterproof and warm shelter, with a warm fire and a tall glass of brew.

If/when smokeables are included, then they should definitely include downsides. Decreased stamina, for one. Alcohol could increase weapon sway.

Yup, we got my dad a little cider press a while back. Made really nice cider. I imagine making cider without a press wouldn't be too too difficult, but it'd be cool if it was an actual item.

Stuff like relaxation is sort of an abstract concept, though. Our character is only as stressed as we are, and I'm not sure how the idea of stress would be put across - maybe the same way as all other statuses, I suppose. I don't like the idea of sleeping, or at least I hate the way games like Rust do sleep. Drugs that provide a buff/debuff would be good. Maybe increased pain resistance for increased water consumption or increased risk of infection or something. It's gamey, but DayZ is a game after all. 

1 hour ago, BeefBacon said:

Yup, we got my dad a little cider press a while back. Made really nice cider. I imagine making cider without a press wouldn't be too too difficult, but it'd be cool if it was an actual item.

Stuff like relaxation is sort of an abstract concept, though. Our character is only as stressed as we are, and I'm not sure how the idea of stress would be put across - maybe the same way as all other statuses, I suppose. I don't like the idea of sleeping, or at least I hate the way games like Rust do sleep. Drugs that provide a buff/debuff would be good. Maybe increased pain resistance for increased water consumption or increased risk of infection or something. It's gamey, but DayZ is a game after all. 

By "sleep", I am not referring to the mechanic in other games, where your avatar stays in the game world after you log out. That sucks ballsack (big, sweaty, hairy sack), and only promotes griefing. 

No, what I mean by "sleep" is the following: depending on where you log out, and the "equipment" in the location when you log out, you get a bonus to energy/stamina/hunger/hydration when you log back in. And you have to remain logged out for a certain amount of time.

Stolen from myself in another thread:

So, I have been playing quite a bit of Rimworld, which is a colony simulator, and by far one of my favorite things to do in that game is build a wooden (read: log) cabin and live off the land.

With that in mind, I still wholeheartedly believe that 1) we should be able to build our own small shelters in Day Z, and that 2) Log cabins should be the maximum of what we are capable of building.

Log cabins are easy to build, "fast" to build, and don't technically require any tools other than an axe. One person can carry a 16foot conifer log with a little effort, and an 8in thick log, when properly chinked, can keep out the worst cold northern Canada/Alaska can throw at you. A 12ft x 16ft cabin can fit 4 people in double bunks (or even more, in a loft), and have enough room for some shelves, some pegs (for clothing), a table and some benches, and a fireplace.  Gunslits, cut into the walls, would allow someone to fire on targets outside (that tinnitus, tho) from relative safety.

If log cabins didn't work, they wouldn't have been used for thousands of years across Europe. No need for cement, cinder blocks, nails. Just an axe, some straight conifers (which are everywhere) in Chernarus, and a ready back. A clan with a couple of members could throw up a reasonably-sized cabin with about a weeks worth of work, and have a weathertight, watertight, warm and comfortable shelter that beats the hell out of living out of a tent or some old busted-out building. Birch-bark sheets (birch trees are also very common in Chernarus) could be used for roofing, or even just a tarp.

This guy below built himself a cabin in a month. 

Coupled with the idea of cabins, and really, "basebuilding" as a whole, I really like the idea of implementing "sleeping quarters".

Now, hear me out. I would much rather not see our characters stay in-game when we log out. I have seen how it works in games that do have it, and they tend to be shit. No, instead, the "sleeping quarters" system would be a means of fostering community on a server, and give your character and base a sense of permanence and purpose, other than storing gear. Depending on the "facilities" you have in the location you log out in, next time you log back in after a decent amount of time, ( I like 6+ hours, so you log out at midnight and log back in at 8am in real time) you get a bonus to health and to stamina regen. For example, you "sleep" (read: log out) in the woods, on the ground, and you log in with your hunger/hydration/energy bar empty (not negative, but empty), and your stamina starts out low. "Sleep" in gradually better conditions ( spreading boughs/leaves beneath you in a shelter, use a sleeping bag, or sleep on a mattress), and when you spawn in, you spawn back in with gradually-increased hunger/hydration/energy bars, to represent you getting more of a restful sleep.

Being under cover (inside a tent/shelter, or inside a building) and increasing the temperature (building a fire) would also lead to greater levels of comfort. 

This wouldn't exactly punish players that don't want to build a base (asides from starting out neutral, energy/food/water-wise, but those are easy enough to fix), but it would give someone a reason to want to build a base, or even just a lean-to in the woods. 

Now, of course, "going to sleep" when starving or dying of dehydration won't fix anything, the character would have to be, at most, stat-neutral for all this to work. 

-ground: starts out stat-neutral

-"improvised bed" - piles of boughs/leaves: dark green food and water

-sleeping bag : light green food and water

-Mattress: light green food and water, dark green energized.

Just as a little nod to realism. 

5 hours ago, Deathlove said:

Dont be a cunt.

While some of these things you listed might have some medical benefits iv seen what they do with other ppl. They make them lazy and fucking stupid for the most part. So don't be calling me bible or southpark smart please. I was for the idea of having this be in games but since your a fucking dick i could give a rats ass if it ever comes in.

I heard a story once about a pot and a kettle.  This is the second most oxymoronic statement I've heard all day.

Here's the first:

"Number one, I'm not stupid, okay? I can tell you that right now. Just the opposite. Number two, in terms of divisive, I don't think I'm a divisive person, I'm a unifier, unlike our president now, I'm a unifier."

3 hours ago, CornProducts said:

If human nature and long-term survival are part of the bigger picture, then alcohol and cannabis would likely be as present as they have at any time in the last 5000 years.

3 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

I think you about summed-up the advantages of, and subsequent natural predisposition that people have towards brewing.   Aside from the relatively modest benefits in terms of liquid calories, beer or cider could be an excellent component of a status indicator category that I feel should be added to the game: MORALE.

Morale would fit in right with the energized, hydrated, healthy, stomach, and temperature status goals that we have to maintain.  Each one has it's own value to the character, be it not starving or dehydrating, dropping dead from stroke or freezing, or simply tossing your lunch.  Where morale would fit into the player character would be in terms of things like stamina, and the development of soft skills, or even to help with existing status maintenance.  High morale would make the character more receptive to learning new skills, slightly buffer the depletion of stamina, and speed up digestion--effectively increasing the rate at which on can become healthy after an injury.  A good example of how morale would be granted to the player could be through cooking complete meals.  Lets say that you wanted to eat an entire bag of rice, two chicken breasts, a pepper(capsicum), a tomato, and a zucchini all in a row to try and get healthy; all of those things would add individually to your stomach contents, and take a certain amount of time to digest, while each adding/subtracting their own energy/water values.  If cooking were to be made more complex for the sake of morale, then those items could be combined into a single pot of soup, or pan of stir-fry/jambalaya, in a zero-sum manner, but you would have the added benefit of being able to process those nutrients faster, and subsequently be able to eat more food sooner, to further improve your health.  I know it got a little off- topic with the cooking, but this would be the basic purpose of morale.  Likewise, drinking a beer while eating all of those things separately could also ease digestion; much as it does in real life. (Try eating canned spaghetti, baked beans, and powdered milk, both with and without drinking a beer, and tell me which way you find it easier.)

Here's to hoping that they make us a use for that sickle in the future...

2 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

Yup, we got my dad a little cider press a while back. Made really nice cider. I imagine making cider without a press wouldn't be too too difficult, but it'd be cool if it was an actual item.  Perhaps a craftable item from wood, at one of the many lathe mills found around Chernarus.

Moderate beer drinking improves learning, decreases risk of infection, and improves morale; excessive beer drinking causes gun sway and control inaccuracies, increases risk of infection, and negates morale.  Moderate cannabis consumption increases morale, heightens senses, and steadies hands; excessive cannabis consumption reduces stamina, causes confusion, and slows reactions.

Even having only alcohol, cannabis, and morphine affect the players in this way, would add quite a bit of depth to the gameplay.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

You left out the part where i was ok with it being added in the first time. But since the dick decided to take personal pot shots at me when not needed because i some how threaten his view point for smoking weed i could give a rats ass if the concept gets put in.

Generally, recreational drugs aren't known for their harsh side-effects; as having harsh side-effects would diminish the recreational value of said drugs.  So yes; your limited knowledge of a subject, combined with your harsh words--indicating a strong personal opinion against such things, caused you to lose your composure on an internet forum.  Not the end of the world, but still a pot and kettle situation.  If you wish to further impugn the cannabis-imbibing segment of humanity, you had better fix your spelling, and learn to differentiate between your homophones;  I don't want to be reading your future posts on this thread, and blow a water-column up into my bowl, because of your less-than-impeccable spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills made me laugh powerfully and unexpectedly into a water-pipe.

In short,  it appeared that veschula was talking about specifically alcohol and weed, and you used the term "horrible side-effects."  He referenced Mr. Mackey, and you started using foul language and referred to users as "fucking stupid."  Don't try to start a flame war.  I don't come on here attacking vegans and people who litter, because that's what the rest of the internet is for.  This was just a thread poking around at if, when and how these thing might be implemented.

These-here-forums are for DayZ discussion.  Try to keep yore personal biases to yourself, and avoid attacking OPs who don't think yore specific input is helpful.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

In short,  it appeared that veschula was talking about specifically alcohol and weed, and you used the term "horrible side-effects."  He referenced Mr. Mackey, and you started using foul language and referred to users as "fucking stupid."  Don't try to start a flame war.  I don't come on here attacking vegans and people who litter, because that's what the rest of the internet is for.  This was just a thread poking around at if, when and how these thing might be implemented.

These-here-forums are for DayZ discussion.  Try to keep yore personal biases to yourself, and avoid attacking OPs who don't think yore specific input is helpful.

Yes and i certainly did not mention weed the first time in the drug conversation topic which he ASSUMED i automatically did and decided to be quite rude. Which i had every right to tear him apart afterwards. If they add in weed than there is no reason they shouldn't add in the more dangerous and toxic substances ppl can get addicted to.

Again i was quite ok with it until he started his personal rant on me which he knows nothing about. And also this title says "Alcohol and Drugs" not solely on the topic about Weed which if he wanted to talk about just that he should change the title.

Edited by Deathlove

Well I guess we can chalk it up to not reading and understanding the subject matter of the post, and then making a comment about unrelated, harsher substances.  Also, this is what I was talking about with homophones and grammar:

17 minutes ago, Deathlove said:

Yes, and i certainly did not mention weed the first time in the drug conversation topic, which he ASSUMED i automatically did, and decided to be quite rude; after which, i had every right to tear him apart afterwards. If they add in weed than then there is no reason they shouldn't add in the more dangerous and toxic substances ppl can get addicted to.

Again, i was quite ok with it, until he started his personal rant on me; which whom he knows nothing about.  I notice you capitalize your name, why not your first-person pronoun?                                                                         ^^^Slippery-slope fallacy^^^  I'm sure most people don't want meth, crack and heroin in this game...

Sorry about all the red pen.  I ran out of beer, and then got so high that I don't feel like going to the store; which leaves me with caffeine, but that can cause me to get a bit too focused on details sometimes...

You may notice that I did not alter your usage of the abbreviation "ppl," nor did I comment on your structural choices to end clauses/sentences with prepositions.  <--Oh wait, I kinda just did that last thing, huh?

Edited by emuthreat
cheeks

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Well I guess we can chalk it up to not reading and understanding the subject matter of the post, and then making a comment about unrelated, harsher substances.  Also, this is what I was talking about with homophones and grammar:

Sorry about all the red pen.  I ran out of beer, and then got so high that I don't feel like going to the store; which leaves me with caffeine, but that can cause me to get a bit too focused on details sometimes...

Again the topic itself is about Drug and alcohol use. I see no reason not to put the more deadly and addictive stuff in game if we go this route. It would be up to the user in game to determine if its worth the risk or not to take. Not to mention weed has a very strong smell to it so this would definitely attract infected more easily.

Edited by Deathlove

There is alcohol factory in Vybor I think. Wouldnt it be cool if there was some leftover machinery that we can repair and proces alcohol there. And only there, so it is place where all drunks in Chernarus will go. If we speak cigarets and marihuana, I think there is use for them. Imagine a day that you spent being chased by infected, predator animals and asshole KOSers and when you finaly get back to your secret base you are under a lot of stress, shaking, every inch of your body hurts. There is nothing better than glass of mooonshine and smoke to make you somewhat relaxed. I think survivor/RP players would apriciate this.

19 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I heard a story once about a pot and a kettle.  This is the second most oxymoronic statement I've heard all day.

Here's the first:

"Number one, I'm not stupid, okay? I can tell you that right now. Just the opposite. Number two, in terms of divisive, I don't think I'm a divisive person, I'm a unifier, unlike our president now, I'm a unifier."

If human nature and long-term survival are part of the bigger picture, then alcohol and cannabis would likely be as present as they have at any time in the last 5000 years.

I think you about summed-up the advantages of, and subsequent natural predisposition that people have towards brewing.   Aside from the relatively modest benefits in terms of liquid calories, beer or cider could be an excellent component of a status indicator category that I feel should be added to the game: MORALE.

Morale would fit in right with the energized, hydrated, healthy, stomach, and temperature status goals that we have to maintain.  Each one has it's own value to the character, be it not starving or dehydrating, dropping dead from stroke or freezing, or simply tossing your lunch.  Where morale would fit into the player character would be in terms of things like stamina, and the development of soft skills, or even to help with existing status maintenance.  High morale would make the character more receptive to learning new skills, slightly buffer the depletion of stamina, and speed up digestion--effectively increasing the rate at which on can become healthy after an injury.  A good example of how morale would be granted to the player could be through cooking complete meals.  Lets say that you wanted to eat an entire bag of rice, two chicken breasts, a pepper(capsicum), a tomato, and a zucchini all in a row to try and get healthy; all of those things would add individually to your stomach contents, and take a certain amount of time to digest, while each adding/subtracting their own energy/water values.  If cooking were to be made more complex for the sake of morale, then those items could be combined into a single pot of soup, or pan of stir-fry/jambalaya, in a zero-sum manner, but you would have the added benefit of being able to process those nutrients faster, and subsequently be able to eat more food sooner, to further improve your health.  I know it got a little off- topic with the cooking, but this would be the basic purpose of morale.  Likewise, drinking a beer while eating all of those things separately could also ease digestion; much as it does in real life. (Try eating canned spaghetti, baked beans, and powdered milk, both with and without drinking a beer, and tell me which way you find it easier.)

Here's to hoping that they make us a use for that sickle in the future...

Moderate beer drinking improves learning, decreases risk of infection, and improves morale; excessive beer drinking causes gun sway and control inaccuracies, increases risk of infection, and negates morale.  Moderate cannabis consumption increases morale, heightens senses, and steadies hands; excessive cannabis consumption reduces stamina, causes confusion, and slows reactions.

Even having only alcohol, cannabis, and morphine affect the players in this way, would add quite a bit of depth to the gameplay.

thank you very very very very much.. for standing by me with these facts.. I'm originally from the netherlands.. (amsterdam anyone?) half our economy derives from cannabis and export of Tulips and seeds.. 
thank you for explaining the logic behind things like alcohol and cannabis in game.. things that people like @Deathlove don't understand in the slightest way or manner.. because 'drugs are bad M'kay' 

why have morphine (a highly addictive lab perfected drug/painkiller) that only heals broken legs (last time I checked morphine doesn't do that at all) 

but not cannabis (natural sedative/painkiller that has been around since the stone-age)
mushrooms? Psilocybin: is a naturally occurring psychedelic compound produced by more than 200 species of mushrooms, collectively known as psilocybin mushrooms. The most potent are members of the genus Psilocybe, such as P. azurescens, P. semilanceata, and P. cyanescens, but psilocybin has also been isolated from about a dozen other genera. As a prodrug, psilocybin is quickly converted by the body topsilocin, which has mind-altering effects similar, in some aspects, to those of LSD, mescaline, and DMT. 

^ DayZ has a load of mushrooms in its woods already.. so why not use them for mushroom soup, with the 1/200 chance of finding a 'magic' shroom and tripping balls for 20 min in game.. (blurry screen/staggering/different colors in 1st person)

and no alcohol (because that has been a part of human culture and history mead anyone?) since the dawn of time.. 
mead/honey wine (has been around for 8000 years at LEAST
mead, comes from India and was used/consumed by Germanic cultures all throughout the world (Ethiopië - detej - to Scandinavia.

DayZ is all about 'your story' right folks? what is a story without some in-depth gameplay.. and yes that also involves drugs/alcohol because people have ALWAYS been known (just check any random world war or conflict) 

what do you barter with when everything is shot to hell? or gone to shit?

precious metals
precious stones
alcohol
tabacco
drugs (cannabis)
medicine
food

On 5/16/2016 at 11:10 AM, veshcula said:

Day Z doesn't actually take place in an entire country, actually. That is a very persistant myth. Day Z takes place in the South Zagoria region, a province of Chernarus that is notably poor, underdeveloped, rural and has .... problems between different ethnicities.  Hence the Civil War in ARMA II.

ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg

That is the whole country of Chernarus. We play in the upper right-most section.

And, there were more than 10 cars, 3 bikes and XXX working choppers.. before the apocalypse. You can see them in-game, the rusted/bombed-out hulks. They were destroyed in the Civil War, or during the riots and breakdowns of society that happened as a result of the Z-apocalypse.

IMO, We don't need that many vehicles. Having a small amount of vehicles gives the playerbase something to strive for, fight over. If every po'dunk clan could have multiple vehicles, or even just one, that severely lessens the "value" of owning one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

Day Z doesn't actually take place in an entire country, actually. That is a very persistant myth. Day Z takes place in the South Zagoria region, a province of Chernarus that is notably poor, underdeveloped, rural and has .... problems between different ethnicities.  Hence the Civil War in ARMA II.

That is the whole country of Chernarus. We play in the upper right-most section.

And, there were more than 10 cars, 3 bikes and XXX working choppers.. before the apocalypse. You can see them in-game, the rusted/bombed-out hulks. They were destroyed in the Civil War, or during the riots and breakdowns of society that happened as a result of the Z-apocalypse.

IMO, We don't need that many vehicles. Having a small amount of vehicles gives the playerbase something to strive for, fight over. If every po'dunk clan could have multiple vehicles, or even just one, that severely lessens the "value" of owning one.

Not to mention all the trolling ppl could do with X amount of vehicles. Id rather have very little than a whole lot anyways. Were playing a survival game after all not a GTA simulator.

9 minutes ago, veshcula said:

^ DayZ has a load of mushrooms in its woods already.. so why not use them for mushroom soup, with the 1/200 chance of finding a 'magic' shroom and tripping balls for 20 min in game.. (blurry screen/staggering/different colors in 1st person)

Because eating mushrooms in a survival situation is, to be quite frank, stupid and Darwin-Award-worthy.

5 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

a few low key vehicles (dirt bike/quad/scooter/bicycle)

^ vehicles that hold 3-4 slots (MAX) of inventory space.. so it doesn't become a pack mule but rather a basic transport utility.
getting from point A to B.. as quickly as you can.. a quad or dirt bike aren't that valuable at all (not to the people that use transportation to stock up their bases with enough guns to start 4 world wars in the next 3 months)

plus the fact like you've said dayZ is rural country.. so what do you need in a country like this?
a lexus IS300? with 700 BHP to drag race? NOPE..

you need something sturdy that'll go off road, through the woods
to take you places you'd never go on foot (or would go but it takes ages)

2 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

Because eating mushrooms in a survival situation is, to be quite frank, stupid and Darwin-Award-worthy.

depends... do you think eating berries is a logic thing to do? what if the devs never told us blue berries are the bad one's or they add roots in the game.. poison ivy anyone?
living off the land is what that's called.. look it up.. there are tribes in the world.. that don't own a supermarket or an IKEA and they know exactly what they can eat... if you have 2-3 types of mushrooms.. in game... you'd have 3 choices.. 1 gets you killed, one makes you sick.. the other is just fine :) because mushroom soup is a thing ya know :)