SMoss

Status Report - 15 Mar 2016

5 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

Uuugh I can't wait though, I can't wait for when the survival aspect of DayZ will be genuinely challenging. I want to be starving so bad that I'll consider killing my fellow freshie that I just met just to eat his meat! Oh God!

We cant have chalenging game and hard survival without really good and numerous infected. I said that million times by now. I took a bread from dayz in january and Im trying out Arma 3 mods. Rare servers have really good spawning of zombies, and there were situations where I didnt have time to stop and pick up a weapon because 3-4 zombies were right behind me. Devs can leave amount of ammo in game at same level, but imagine if you see AKM with mags in tent city, but you dont dare to go and get, even if you have rifle 20-30 rounds it because there are 15-20 zeds. I think devs should focus hard on infected in next updates, maybe even more than on CLE or something else. We will always have ways to find or grow food, but we shouldnt have much time to enjoy it in peace.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

It'll also mean that sharing a meal with others is more than a friendly gesture; you might be saving somebody's life by it! Yet, I don't really see why we have to eat and drink so often. Okay - I get it, it's so nobody can kriss-kross around in the north, looking for camps. But the devs could use weather zones and temperature (in the future) to get the same effect. I'd want some more realistic eating + drinking and then we also wouldn't need all that food.

We should be able to stay alive on water alone, let's say for the game's sake - for just three days  ingame (sunsets/sunrise). Our character should perhaps gradually become slower and start shutting his eyes/blinking, needing more rest over time. And when we eat, our energy is up high, less rest required and we can run full speed. Right now eating and drinking doesn't at all affect our physical and tired state, the only thing it affects is the amount of blood you have. I would add more states than "energized" and "hydrated", but balance and mix them differently alltogether.    

I currently like the pace of the food status changes, to me it's one of the only reminders that I have to "keep my character alive". Although it is kind of funny that I have to eat 3 cans of peaches every 15 minutes of running just to keep my stats up. I think more hardcore survival mechanisms like freezing, injuries, sickness etc will affect the food part of the game very much, making it less of a chore and more of a goal. I'm sure eating's gonna be changed a lot and I really like that they said non-perishable food items would be very scarce and that finding a wild animal would be a relief. Farms will probably be much more popular too.

4 hours ago, S3V3N said:

-snip-

We should be able to stay alive on water alone, let's say for the game's sake - for just three days  ingame (sunsets/sunrise). Our character should perhaps gradually become slower and start shutting his eyes/blinking, needing more rest over time. And when we eat, our energy is up high, less rest required and we can run full speed. Right now eating and drinking doesn't at all affect our physical and tired state, the only thing it affects is the amount of blood you have. I would add more states than "energized" and "hydrated", but balance and mix them differently alltogether.    

I agree that we need something like this.

People become very weak after only a day without food, and many actions become prohibitively difficult when hungry.

I'm not sure if we'll see this level of attention to sustenance and energy levels but I certainly hope we do.

I really hope they get the audio worked out soon...3d sound is imperative for a truly immersive game imho. The way it is now, you hear a zombie growl and start to turn to locate the source, only to find the noise doesn't move with your character. If it starts in your right ear, it stays in your right ear no matter what direction your facing. Also gunshot audio needs help. In my experience gunshots don't get louder or quieter with distance. You either hear it full volume or not at all. Also the ambient noises and weather sounds need work (I know they are working on it but I hope it makes it in .60)

Besides audio upgrades, I would personally like to see more destruction around chenarus. I was showing a friend the game who has never heard of dayz, and the first thing he commented on was how clean everything looks. There are a few places where it looks apocalyptic, but in general it's too clean. Maybe some overgrown grass and moss growing in/around buildings, and just generally more debris and destruction. 

And my final thought is about the sparse woods. I know it's been talked about many times before, so consider this my two cents. I have seen videos of arma 3 and even some arma 2 dayz mod where the jungles actually look like jungles, and you cannot run a straight line through forests because it's too thick. We need this!

I am looking forward to this .60 patch very much, and will continue to follow the games development. Like others though, I am a bit worried that the dev team is just too far behind and the list grows longer every day. When you account for the fact that they have already made most of their money, it worries me that the game will never be truly finished. This is not a criticism of the devs, just my personal opinion and doubt. Prove me wrong devs! :)

• Like 1

you obviously have never heard a gun shot from a distance. a gun shot definitely gets quieter the further away it is. 

"In my experience gunshots don't get louder or quieter with distance."

.......huh? My man.... I hope this was a typo.

Ask me how I know.

A battle tank firing it's main gun 10 feet away from you could collapse your eardrums and suck out the air from your lungs. That same gun sounds like distant thunder from a few kilometers away.

Any gunshot, whether subsonic pistol ammo or high powered rifle ammo will have varying degrees of reverberation, echo, and acoustic pressure which changes with direction and distance.

This is severely under developed in DayZ SA so far but as far as I know the Audio Module is still very far from being a finished product.

On 19/03/2016 at 5:04 AM, VVarhead said:

Thanks for the great work!!!

Please include proper (loud) thunder and weather sounds in 0.60

Thanks for your support :) While I don't know if the weather "cycles" will be fixed for 0.60, I can tell you though that the team also has eyes on this part of DayZ.

In my opinion this game is still Action Game, ammo, weapons everywhere only shot and shot nothing change in last two years. DayZ team please change description about game on Steam is the Action Game with stupid rare zombies when main things is get the gun and shot other head! This is real DayZ now.