Sign in to follow this  
TheSullyLuv

Police Station Stairs

Hey, just wanted to make this problem aware to devs.

Today while playing solo, i was checking the Vybor police station. As I was leaving, I was running down the stairs and the screen went black, i was dead. This isn't the first time it has happened, but it is the most heart breaking seeing as how i found my first ever AUG at a heli crash and never even got to shoot it other than at zombies. The UMP i lost wasnt as heartbreaking but still annoying. I love DayZ, but experiences like this really make me want to put the game up, and don't really convince my friends who have already left to come back. 

I hope noone has to lose a child to stairs the way i have D':

• Like 1

little known fact, 

"accidental death" is hidden deep in the code , and tied to things like Ladders, Stairs and rocks 

Every Time you walk across one , You have like a 0.002% chance of falling down and breaking your leg or neck 

The numbers change occasionally , but its always been there . 

it sucks, but that's life, accidents happen . 

If you seem to be a bit clumsy , try slowing down a bit and walking more . 

Yeah, it's one of those tough ones. It is of course a known issue that the team will focus on fixing during development.

• Like 1

The key lies in how fast you are running over those rocks or stairs. Walk slowly, and what every you do, do not walk fast AND look down while full sprint ;)

Something that can help is to vault before going up/down stairs.  It resets your player position with the server, which is one of the issues with dying on stairs.

• Like 2

i think the problem was that the server was thinking you are on the top of the stairs at one moment ~ lag ~ server sees you downstairs

server: "oh boy he went down there that fast? must've been falling down, let's see... oh yep, you are dead buddy"

like someone allready sugeested, vault when being on top of the stairs and vault again when downstairs, afaik the server actually thinks that you fell from the roof

or warped through the wall and fell outside of the outer wall instead of taking the lower door

at least thats what me and my buddys saw when one of us was dieing from stairs again, most of the time it looked like they warped through the wall and the body was outside

• Like 2

little known fact, 

"accidental death" is hidden deep in the code , and tied to things like Ladders, Stairs and rocks 

Every Time you walk across one , You have like a 0.002% chance of falling down and breaking your leg or neck 

The numbers change occasionally , but its always been there . 

it sucks, but that's life, accidents happen . 

If you seem to be a bit clumsy , try slowing down a bit and walking more . 

Not sure if this is true but if it is, it's bollocks.

Accidents happen when I fall off a roof. I don't need the game dictating additional accidents thanks. This accident thing would be fine if it happened when you were running around and being careless but I'm going to assume that's not the case?

1. Always make sure you have nothing at this time in your hands.

2. Don't run up or down the stairs as its a common problem with stairs.

Eventually all stairs will be fixed, with something in your hands.

I've fallen through floors when completely stationary... Not much lately though, as I'll only go upstairs in any building when absolutely necessary.

Oddly, I've never fallen through in a police station.

The diagnosis of the problem seems to move around quite a bit - from Jonathan's 'accidents written into the code' idea (which could be true - hey, it's a feature!), to server lag, to netcode, etc. Bit depressing that it's still a thing...

• Like 1

Server stopped once when I was at the top of the Green Mountain tower

When I logged back in I fell through the floor inside the tower, down all that ladder, Took about 2 seconds - was hard to tell but I seemed to bounce a bit on the way down

Ended up alive in a closed hidden room at the base of the tower. Took me an hour to get out through the wall corner (almost gave up, only the adrenaline caused by fear and horror kept me alive)

So there is ONE thing that happens on Green Mountain. That concrete room is probably knee deep in ghosts of dead players who starved or killed themselves in there.

After a couple of similar, less drastic experiences - upstairs in the school  building for instance - I don't log out upstairs anywhere, ever, or even inside buildings. Why risk it?

Also the stairs inside the castle towers used to be hairy - don't know if they have got better or if I have got used to dealing with them?

xx

• Like 1