zolomus

New UI?

So Ive been reading over a few posts and i keep seeing this new UI being brought up. Since the .59 stable update i have looked in the in-game options and i dont see how to change from the old ui to the new one. So my question is, how do ya change between the two?

Also which UI is better and for what reasons? I have seen some posts stating that this UI boosted my fps but this UI lets me be able to do such and such easier like repairing a car.

Also which UI is better and for what reasons? I have seen some posts stating that this UI boosted my fps but this UI lets me be able to do such and such easier like repairing a car.

The newui provides some additional FPS for some. Some have said that the newui is needed for interacting with vehicles, though I don't know how true this is. Reload animations are bugged with the newui. Precision is needed in the newui, meaning you can't just drag items around and expect them to go where they should. You need to actually drag the items to the block you are intending to put it. No statuses other then messages.

Try it out and see for yourself.

• Like 2

I've been switching back and forth for a while but I'm staying in -newui about 90% of the time now.

You can remove wheels with a lug wrench in oldui, but to detach anything else from a vehicle I think you'll need to be in newui

if you wanted to take a spark plug out of a sedan, for example,  it might be newui only.

I believe there's no problem attaching things to vehicles under oldui, just removing them.

Be forewarned newui is still rough and glitchy.

There were nonworking icons in experimental newui but those have vanished for now, I guess until they get them working.

In newui you might have trouble loading mags into various guns which is no fun for anybody,

Your gun choices may be limited to what works and what doesn't.

I've had trouble with the sporter, mosin, sks and others, but the blaze, winchester and smg's seem to work fine for me.

And as blacktwin said above no statuses other than messages.

Depending on your playstyle you might simply hate it or you might find it more immersive because it feels more spontaneous (at least to me it does).

You'll suddenly find yourself in a red overheating state with little warning and then need to suddenly change your plans and find water to cool of quickly.

or a barely noticeable "I am thirsty" under the oldui is now a critical notice under newui as it could turn into dehydration quickly

since there is no way to check your thirst/hunger/temperature/stuffed/sickness/condition, you must now wait for the next message to appear.

The fps boost I'm getting is just barely noticeable, if you switched over to newui solely for fps purposes you'd probably switch right back as it's a bit of a game-changer.

I will say that even though it's glitchy it does grow on you after a while.

Edited by GaryWalnuts
  • Like 2

OK thanks, i tried it and its not my cup of tea, I stay with the old UI for now but might switch if i come up on a car

The new ui is ugly and clunky af but it gave me a solid fps boost. I never got 45-50fps in Novo, which is really nice.

Furthermore the hotkeys are working quite well.

I rate it 5/7. ;)

if you wanted to take a spark plug out of a sedan, for example,  it might be newui only.

No need, the spark plug can be detached directly from the hood, as long as you locate it, view it and press F.

OT:

Newui is nice, although yet not fully functional. It has its bugs, it has its cons and it has its advantages. You should check it out yourself and see the results. You can access more slots in tents / cars with the newui. So I don't know really, I mean both are OK imo.

Edited by Yazar8

Is there something I need to do to get the server list to work correctly? With the newui, it doesn't show player count / ping / locked servers. It's also not highlighting the selected server.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

The new ui helps my fps by about 10+ so im getting around 25-30 instead of 15-18 in really heavy areas. But the hotkeys for swapping items with your hotbar work like a charm, one of the most noticeable differences apart from the old ui.

I'm not going to waste my time with it- fps benefit or not. The guys I trust are saying its garbage so I'm just holding onto the old as long as I can. I'm not going to waste my time with junk.

Using the new UI and like it a lot. Reloading quickly is much easier.

add -newui to the launch commands in steam apparently. I have never got it to work though DayZ crashes when I try to run it :/