Jonah_Hobbes

Steam Price?

Just seen the game on Steam and they say the price has been reduced by 15% or something but isn't it now at it's original price?

The game developers/marketing have touted that to buy early is to 'save' as they expect the price to rise as the game approaches a 'gold'/release state.

The discount appears off the listed price prior to sale, so it looks like it's down 15% from 34.99 to 29.74.

Be aware that certain 'greenlight' developers will raise the price incrementally for sales and then state they're selling at discount when it is above the previous listed price.

I'm not saying that BI are doing anything shifty, because i don't know what the price history is and forget what i paid for it, but be aware.

ultimately it's whether the customer feels the price is right, but the 15% discount from pre-sale listed price works out mathematically.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Price history.

2015-11-28_21-10-20.png

sorry got a terrible case of hiccups  so not thinking straight but didn't we buy the game on release for $30?

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

sorry got a terrible case of hiccups  so not thinking straight but didn't we buy the game on release for $30?

Yes, you're right, but price was increased in process. Dayz price increase coming next week.

Edited by Battle eye Joe

No, technically it hasn't been released yet. This is early access.

Developers usually use a lower price point for early access to encourage people to invest early, while the game is clearly in an unfinished state. They were always pretty clear in expressing their intentions to raise the price as development continued.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

Technically we could have saved 26 cents if we were to wait because we DID buy the game for $30 not $29.74 as listed now in this price, but the joy ive gotten by purchasing the game a year and a half ago is far better than a silver quarters discount ...

Similar price patterns occur for investment in commodities and speculative endeavours like exploration/mining companies...

All that being said, there's really nothing stopping BI from flogging it off at 00.20US if they thought they'd make a profit off the action.  This won't happen because the market's saturated.

So good observation, but ultimately there's nothing more you can really say without invoking the wrath of old snakeyes.  The seller is free to market their product at whatever price they want.

Caveat emptor.

edit:

You're more than welcome to purchase it at the new reduced price though ;)

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Perfect time to buy it as a gift for a friend! :)

Not really anything strange here though, happens to me all the time on Amazon and is perfectly normal practice; when I buy something I immediately go back to the product page and often enough find that the price shifts, and most of the time it is downwards. Every product has a base price but depending on supply, demand, season, and special or geographic promotions it can fluctuate.

In other words, anyone who bought the game at launch probably got it at the best price it will be for quite a while yet. Unless there is some crazy Steam -80% price day but we can't begrudge people those..

It's a November sale. Everything is on sale right now...

The prices on the BI website for the entire arma 2 collection right now are incredible. 10$ for the entire Arma 2 collection I think.

In any case, the price did go up to 35 from 30, but with the 15 percent discount it drops back down to the same price it was when early access was first sold. Once the promotion vanishes the price will go up again.

• Like 1

The date on the article you linked says it was from last fall.  LOL

I knew it. OP asks, why price have discount of 15% and price stay the same as original, I give him a link where is says that price was increased.

Edited by Battle eye Joe
  • Like 2

I have to admit, I'm more than a little surprised to glance at this list and see how few of its goals Bohemia met this year. I hope they're still not planning to move to beta and increase price at the end of this year or the beginning of next, since the game is definitely not feature-complete.

I have to admit, I'm more than a little surprised to glance at this list and see how few of its goals Bohemia met this year. I hope they're still not planning to move to beta and increase price at the end of this year or the beginning of next, since the game is definitely not feature-complete.

I'm pretty sure the devs will not move to beta without the game being feature complete.  Now, completed features is a different story.

Oh, I've found this lovely little reassuring map here on the second post: https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215848-dayz-moving-into-2015-roadmap/?p=2317653

See, this is why I like Bohemia: they communicate. Sometimes I just need to look harder, though finding the time can be difficult. =p

And, as suspected, moving into beta for DayZ won't mean quite the same thing it traditionally means, since they're pretty much still expecting 15% of their resources to be dedicated to new content, if I haven't misinterpreted the post.

• Like 1

As per Funkmaster Rick link ^

November update for 2015, showing Q1-Q3 (no q4) and talking about Beta for 2015?...

Am i reading that correct, or?..

Interesting to see that they have now set Beta to end of Q1 2016 (assuming those dates are actually meant to be 2015, for a nov2015 post...) and that BI expects to support the game for 5+years after 1.0 release.

NB that linked post has not been edited as far as i can see, so again, confusing why he included Q1-Q3 (and omitted Q4) for 2015 given a 2015Nov date of post. frustratingly confounding.

The structure, and indeed 'closed' status of the thread does suggest that it is intended as an edit of the above post dated 26Nov'14, and may be justficiation as to the work/implementations done to the previous roadmap, but still so very puzzling.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Back on 7 Jan 2014 I bought it for 23 euros. Don't care if it gets cheaper at some point. Had my fun.