Sign in to follow this  
FlimFlamm

Dolly

2-wheel-dolley.jpg

What's so great about a dolly?

Well............................ Basically it would be a kind of vehicle, with only one actual "seat", which would be the driver's.

The dolly would be able to interact with certain existing and future items for the purpose of moving them around.

A barrel loaded with liquid or rocks for instance could be moved with a dolly, or the new chest that is incoming, creating a mobile multi purpose container

Heavy vehicle parts could also possibly be moved with a dolly, and also base-building parts like lumber or metal.

Finally, it would be an obvious function of the dolly to restrain people and tie them up to it, and then you would have the ability to wheel around your new human pet.

In order to escape from the dolly, any cuffs first need to be wiggled out of, and then once hands are free, the dolly restraints can be wiggled out of, but only when the dolly is motionless.

The dolly could also be used as a way of transporting unconscious friendlies...

In short, we absolutely need this kind of shit. Large vehicles are great for long distances but we need things for micromanaging large objects too.

I see the dolly as being a possible first in a line of such interactable objects. Wagons, wheelbarrows, and gurnys would be very similar but the classic dolly is the most versatile of the bunch.

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 4

Im all for it, minus the part where you can't get off (out?) of it if it's moving. That would just trap people unfairly.

• Like 2

Personally a shopping trolley/cart would be better,there are lots of supermarkets scattered around, but no one able to RP a homeless man with a "slight" mental issue. I want to be able to collect empty bean cans in my grass wrapped pants with no shirt while pushing my trophy can collection through Cherno while arguing with my imaginary friend.

Personally a shopping trolley/cart would be better,there are lots of supermarkets scattered around, but no one able to RP a homeless man with a "slight" mental issue. I want to be able to collect empty bean cans in my grass wrapped pants with no shirt while pushing my trophy can collection through Cherno while arguing with my imaginary friend.

A grocery cart is another great example of the kind of wheeled device that we really need when scavenging for resources. When basebuilding becomes relevant we're going to be very thankful if we get so much as a wheelbarrow.

The limits of the grocery cart though is that it is not as strong as a wheelbarrow or dolly, not as big, and the wheels tend to do very very poorly on anything but ashphalt or cement. I can see shooping carts being common in big cities, and they would be great for using in cities when looting or if you wanted to be that mysterious hobo, but beyond that it offers nothing unique over a simply dolly.

A dolly can carry around a barrel, which can hold just as much as a shopping cart, and the dolly can go more places. I'm not saying that I dislike shopping carts, in fact I have suggested them myself in the past, but for the first of it's class (interactable movable "vehicles", I would much rather have a dolly which could fulfill more purposes, although a wheelbarrow might suffice.

Im all for it, minus the part where you can't get off (out?) of it if it's moving. That would just trap people unfairly.

You're not supposed to be able to get out of it if it's moving for a very good reason.

In real life, you wouldn't be able to get out of it at all. The fact that you can get out of it is a comprimise on reality so that people cannot simply end your experience by catching and stashing you. On public hive, simple switch to another server and continue playing, on a private hive, deal with it and see where they take you. If they leave you alone (not moving) then escape, or don't play private servers.

If someone has control over you, and they are actually wheeling you around, you should be forced to endure it. For the sake of, shall we say, interesting gameplay, players need to have as many options in interacting with other players as possible. If players can be incapacitated (with incoming tranquilizer) and can be transported securely (with dollys/ropes/vehicles) then a great deal of crazy interactions become possible which otherwise simply would and could never occur. Instead of just robbing or killing people, actual kidnapping can take place (and enslavement? Is it wrong to desire to enslave other people in a video game? Maybe, but I don't care. Whether I'm holding the whip or feeling it's sting, the experience would be exhilirating).

When beards and soft skills become implented, very old players are going to come to value their lives in a very real way which most players currently cannot. They are going to want to keep highly experienced characters alive for as long as they can, and will be feeling a new level of loss when they die. If captured, a player with a highly experienced and well bearded player will probably out of an actual desire to stay alive submit to the whims of their masters for a release deal or if only to bide their time until they get a chance to escape. Kidnapping for random could also take place, and without something like a dolly, the entire affair would be quite unsafe and unprofessional.

When basebuilding is implemented, I can envision players building an enclose on some land that they intend to be farmed, and order to make that happen, they go out and capture some players and set them loose and unarmed in the enclosure. Maybe they make an agreement to farm a specific quota and then to be released, or maybe there is no agreement of a future release, only the threat of death, and the lure of biding one's time until escape, revenge, or revolt becomes possible.

I'm getting quite sidetracked here, but the point is that none of this sort of thing can ever happen without something that allows safe and controlled transport of restrained players, like a dolly could. Without an ability to move people around safely, there is no point in ever taking someone prisoner, it's a big hassle and far too risky, instead they just kill everyone or rob them and send them away.

This may all seem a bit dark, but you're the one who wants to play a zombie apocalypse survival game. Everyone is fine and dandy with murder and armed robbery, really there is no difference with capturing people morally speaking, instead the interaction becomes more lasting and incredibly more dynamic.

The impression DayZ left on us in the early days of the mod was that it was a moral frontier of video games; you could rob people (and kill them) with no potential reprocussions but your own personal guilt for having affected someone else's gaming experience. Some players embraced cold hearted gameplay, others emerged as heroes; stories were told. In order for new kinds of stories to emerge, better stories, we need more ability to interact with other players and with the world. The entire concept of the dolly as valuable for me is that it can perform so many functions, enabling players to do more things other than just rob someone at gun point, torture them at gunpoint, or kill them... At gunpoint...

Maybe the dolly could emerge as a symbol of justice. Along with a straight jacket and a hannibal mask, what remains of the Chernarus police force might actually make use of that wonderful prison island they have. If so, dollys would be a mainstay in their aresenal.

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1

2-wheel-dolley.jpg

What's so great about a dolly?

Well............................ Basically it would be a kind of vehicle, with only one actual "seat", which would be the driver's.

The dolly would be able to interact with certain existing and future items for the purpose of moving them around.

A barrel loaded with liquid or rocks for instance could be moved with a dolly, or the new chest that is incoming, creating a mobile multi purpose container

Heavy vehicle parts could also possibly be moved with a dolly, and also base-building parts like lumber or metal.

Finally, it would be an obvious function of the dolly to restrain people and tie them up to it, and then you would have the ability to wheel around your new human pet.

In order to escape from the dolly, any cuffs first need to be wiggled out of, and then once hands are free, the dolly restraints can be wiggled out of, but only when the dolly is motionless.

The dolly could also be used as a way of transporting unconscious friendlies...

In short, we absolutely need this kind of shit. Large vehicles are great for long distances but we need things for micromanaging large objects too.

I see the dolly as being a possible first in a line of such interactable objects. Wagons, wheelbarrows, and gurnys would be very similar but the classic dolly is the most versatile of the bunch.

I like the idea of moving objects fast than you other wise could, in addition to moving multiple heavy objects at one time. Not so much liking the tying players to it or carrying players. 

Regardless, have some beans

Give me a wagon or a wheelbarrow over a handcart. Can carry more, can be tied to the back of a bicycle, car, or even your belt, and is more "handy" than a handcart.

RidKb7pnT.jpeg

• Like 1

Give me a wagon or a wheelbarrow over a handcart. Can carry more, can be tied to the back of a bicycle, car, or even your belt, and is more "handy" than a handcart.

RidKb7pnT.jpeg

The wagon is good and all, but it is more difficult to manuvre, and it cannot hold a barrel. A dolly can become a mobile fire barrel or regular storage barrel, as such when paired with the dolly would be mobile storage for liquids and solids alike. It might be more convienient to pull a wagon behind you when running on long trips, but the dolly is really meant for shorter range utility rather than anything long distance. (mainly base management)

I see the wagon as having a balance between slightly better speed than the dolly, but much less capacity.

To be honest If i was a developper, having dollys AND wagons AND wheelbarrows AND shopping carts would be an absolute must. The functionality of them would fit perfectly into the DayZ vanilla world. As a strategy for programming though, you start with one, and then add more variants later once it's working right. In this case the dolly ought to be chosen for it's versatility.

Edited by FlimFlamm

-snip-.

Can't hold a barrel? What?

Take barrel, set on side. Set the barrel on its side "on top" of the wagon. The sides of the wagon will hold the barrel in place.

How is a wagon more difficult to maneuver? The wheels on a "standard" wagon are basically the same as the ones on a handcart, plus they can swivel. If anything, a wagon is more maneuverable than a handcart, if for that reason alone.

I've pulled a wagon with 30 lbs of plumbing supplies, 10 lbs of tools, assorted full-length pieces of lumber, and a big box of nails, probably 60-70lbs all told, at 30 mph behind an overclocked golfcart over sand-dunes and gravel before. If anything, the wagon with its load did "better" than the golfcart.

Can't hold a barrel? What?

Take barrel, set on side. Set the barrel on its side "on top" of the wagon. The sides of the wagon will hold the barrel in place.

How is a wagon more difficult to maneuver? The wheels on a "standard" wagon are basically the same as the ones on a handcart, plus they can swivel. If anything, a wagon is more maneuverable than a handcart, if for that reason alone.

I've pulled a wagon with 30 lbs of plumbing supplies, 10 lbs of tools, assorted full-length pieces of lumber, and a big box of nails, probably 60-70lbs all told, at 30 mph behind an overclocked golfcart over sand-dunes and gravel before. If anything, the wagon with its load did "better" than the golfcart.

Barrels are a bit too big for the average red wagon. A large cart type dealy with taller sides would be practical, otherwise the barrel would likely tip over. The weight of a liquid or metal filled barrel could potentially be too much for the little swivel wheels of the wagon. you might not even be able to lift it and get it on, whereas a dolly is designed to be able to lift them and fully designed to carry extreme amounts of weight.

The wagon requires a larger turning radius where the two wheeled dolly can spin on it's own center without swinging the back end or the handle out on a larer radius (more manuverable).

For long distance trips, i too would take a large sturdy wagon hitched to a buggy over a dolly, but when push comes to shove, you might not even be able to load a heavy barrel into the wagon without a dolly to do so in the first place. If you're talking about man-wagons then most of my above rebuttals do not apply, but surely you still see why in terms of base management (as opposed to strictly travelling cargo) a dolly would be more desirable.

Edited by FlimFlamm

I forgot one super cool use for a Dolly that I don't think can be denied; the moving of Fridges.

Generators.... Bases... Fridges... Bases... Generators... Fridges... The link is clear...

Unless we come up with a two person mechanic where two people slowly move a fridge in unison (cooperation at it's finest), a dolly is the only sane way of moving a fridge around that I know of.

Dollys can seriously be an MVP of Chernarus...

nXUhdhL.jpg