maximumak777 (DayZ)

Best Sniper Gear?

yes, sniper in a group is very usefull if you are watching over a town where your buddies run around, but field medic?

having the guy sitting the furthest away have the medical equipment? bad idea imo

a dedicated medic is always best, and of course typically everyone packs basic med supplies. But it will typically be the guy furthest away thats still standing at the end of a fight , able to go down and patch everyone up .

In current dayz that basically means someone that can saline bag everyone . maybe craft some splints if their gear is ruined 

What range does 90% of DayZ combat take place in? 800m or 100m? Hint: where does 99% of actual combat take place in? 

Inside or around buildings, in cities or in the airfield. That is, after all, where the loot is. I would rather be able to reliably make a shot at 100 meters or less, than be able to make a shot at 500m +. I am just straight-up more useful to my clan when I can mix it up at close range. When my clan gets "into things", our "overwatch" makes a couple of shots, and then lies there for the rest of the play-session. Yeah, they spot out moving players, but that isn't something you need to make a shot for. Some bambi with a pair of binocs can do the exact same thing, and be just as effective.

IMO, "snipers" (/snort) in DayZ tend to have an overwhelmingly inflated opinion of themselves. 99% of my deaths in Day Z have been due to players within 100m. In fact, I don't think I've ever gotten "sniped" from more than 300 meters away. The "nests" are well known, as are the cover available with regards to them. Chances are, if you got snot by a "sniper", you were doing something extraordinarily stupid, like standing still, standing on top of a landmark, or some combination of the two.

While long-range combatants have -some- uses, they are far from necessary. Give me 5 mediocre players with shotguns (at least, before this patch) and assault rifles over 1 player with a scoped winchester, any day of the week. I will get much more use out of them.

If I had to take a "sniper" rifle/player, give me a Mosin with a PU scope. The scope allows you to make shots out to a decent distance, and the round is nice and fat.

You are completely correct.  The majority of combat does take place at under 100m.  I'm not suggesting it doesn't.  If you want to be up close and personal, thats completely your decision.  If you want to engage from 800m, that's your decision too.

To come onto forums and berate players for playing the game their way is pathetic though.  

• Like 1

Ugh.

I hate all this sniper talk.

"Oooh, look at me! I'm a

<3 SNIPER <3

What does sniping bring to this game? What positive aspect to the survival experience does sniping bring?

None. Zero. Sniping (and I hate that word...just typing it makes me cringe) is nothing more than a way for people to kill other players at long distance to fulfill some sort of sniper fantasy they have in their heads that other games, for some reason, just don't satisfy. 

There is no survival purpose in sniping other players at 500 meters. There is no reason to snipe other players at long distances other than to get personal jollies that you hit somebody who had no idea you were sitting there. THere doesn't need to be more of an emphasis on sniping or long range combat. There is no interaction in it, there is no survival quality in it, there is no positive aspect or purpose in the "sniper fantasy". 

Hitting targets at long distances in video games is ridiculously easy as it is. The last thing that this game needs it to cater to the mentality of the "sniper fantasy", which is a KOS playstyle with no positive aspects.

Actually being able to take out targets before they know you are there and before they can react is survival. As for interaction, maybe i'm interacting with my spoter and maybe I simply do not want to talk to you, or play with you, or interact in any other fashion with you. Maybe I just want to shoot you in the face for shits and giggles.

checked shirt no pants gumboots, bandanna (of any type) and splitting axe.  It's obvious so people don't ask.

• Like 1

Why does everyone get a hard on for snipers? 

Basically due to the fact that of all the play styles ,

*Sniper takes the most time to properly gear out , and has the highest learning curve .

*Where as a good CQB play style has the highest system requirement demands .

Also more to do with learned abilities such as  holdover , trajectories , and weapon/ammo statistics & performance. And less to do with natural abilities such as quick reflexes ,reactions and eye hand coordination.  

In other words, those of us with crappy systems, low fps or just a more relaxed playstyle are more suited to the sniper role, whereas those of you with high end pcs, better fps or more of a energetic hyper playstyle tend to be better suited for CQB .  

Real snipers learn to respect the amount of time and effort other snipers have put into their craft. Whereas those that prefer close quarter combat ... well there isn't much difference between a highly trained combatant , and some YOLO rushing noob with an assault rifle. 

Besides.. CQB gets all the attention when it comes to videos, and streaming. Because its more action packed.. Sniper playstyle may not be much fun to watch or record. So we discuss it instead . 

• Like 1

When I snipe (which I don't often do as I prefer to use assault rifles) I generally if I can find the gear will go with:

Primary: Mosin Camouflaged + Woodland Ghillie Wrap + PU + Compensator + 2x Stripper Clips + 40 rounds minimum ammunition (great for medium-long range combat whilst providing controllable recoil and an open sight to provide maximum visibility and ease of tracking a moving target. You do not need the top notch precision of a PSO or Hunting Scope unless you're at 500m+ all the time.)

Secondary: FNX-45 + Suppressor + Red Dot Sight + Battery + 2x Magazines (try to avoid SMG's to conserve your carrying space, and honestly your FNX should be adequate enough to dispatch someone who gets too close that isn't suitable to fight with your Mosin. Certainly also do not carry a secondary primary weapon slung over your back either, as it enhances your silhouette and makes you easier to spot)

Melee: Combat knife or stun baton (the combat knife is easy enough to store in military boots and the stun baton very quickly knocks someone out. Do not sling a melee weapon over your shoulder as they very easily enhance your silhouette making you easy to spot.)

Headgear: DPM Boonie Hat, Woodland Ghillie Hood, or Green Ballistic Helmet (depending on how likely I think it is I will be shot at, the DPM boonie provides maximum camouflage as well as the Ghillie Hood which also breaks your silhouette and the Ballistic Helmet provides good camouflage combined with good protection and not affecting your silhouette much.)

Face: Beige or Green Balaclava, or being an Asian character (the Asian character's skin colour blends in nicely with the terrain.)

Torso: Summer Hunting Jacket or TTSKO Jacket (these provide the most ideal camouflage short of Ghillies for woodland and open terrain respectively.)

Vest: Olive High Capacity Vest (high cap vests provide good storage space whilst not increasing your silhouette and providing decent enough protection, and the olive pattern blends in nicely with most camouflage clothing despite not being camouflaged as much itself.)

Hands: Brown or Black Working Gloves (do not go yellow or beige - they stand out too much.)

Legs: Summer Hunting Pants or TTSKO Pants (you need to keep the same pattern as your upper body with your lower body to avoid your shape being easily spotted.)

Feet: Beige or brown military boots (the colour provides good camouflage and a space for a combat knife.)

Backpack: None, improvised backpack or hunting backpack (no backpack is ideal as backpacks enhance your silhouette the most and are the most detactable feature of a player due to their sheer size and shape. You should be able to conserve your space enough with the rest of the outfit you have selected to avoid wearing one, but if it is an absolute must for whatever reason, only use the improvised backpack or hunting backpack as they provide lowish silhouettes and decent enough camouflage patterns and shapes that help prevent you from being spotted.)

*Sniper takes the most time to properly gear out , and has the highest learning curve .

Also more to do with learned abilities such as  holdover , trajectories , and weapon/ammo statistics & performance. And less to do with natural abilities such as quick reflexes ,reactions and eye hand coordination.  

In other words, those of us with crappy systems, low fps or just a more relaxed playstyle are more suited to the sniper role, whereas those of you with high end pcs, better fps or more of a energetic hyper playstyle tend to be better suited for CQB .  

Real snipers learn to respect the amount of time and effort other snipers have put into their craft. Whereas those that prefer close quarter combat ... well there isn't much difference between a highly trained combatant , and some YOLO rushing noob with an assault rifle. 

Besides.. CQB gets all the attention when it comes to videos, and streaming. Because its more action packed.. Sniper playstyle may not be much fun to watch or record. So we discuss it instead . 

I really think you are romanticizing the whole sniper thing a bit much. And I really don't see the in game head butting that your Sniper's versus CQC argument set up. Does sniping ask for specific gear? Sure, a gun that performs well at that range helps. But otherwise items that suit snipers also suit just about every other survivor's needs as well. 

I really think you are romanticizing the whole sniper thing a bit much. And I really don't see the in game head butting that your Sniper's versus CQC argument set up. Does sniping ask for specific gear? Sure, a gun that performs well at that range helps. But otherwise items that suit snipers also suit just about every other survivor's needs as well. 

It took me many hours to build out my sniper the way I wanted him. 

Netting alone for a full ghillie can take hours. 

If you go for smersh to compensate for lack of back pack , even longer time investment . 

Coupled with an SVD if that's your preferred weapon... insane amount of time....Hell a hunting scope alone can take ages 

Top of the line CQB build only requires

Rider jacket 

Ballistic helm 

Press vest or Plate vest with or without pouches 

and Any AR you choose . Except for the M4 , all this can be gathered easily on route to any military base . 

Headshotted a guy in Zeleno last night at approx 750m with my trusty Blaze. New record for me in night sniping :)

It took me many hours to build out my sniper the way I wanted him. 
Netting alone for a full ghillie can take hours. 

If you go for smersh to compensate for lack of back pack , even longer time investment . 

Coupled with an SVD if that's your preferred weapon... insane amount of time....Hell a hunting scope alone can take ages 

Top of the line CQB build only requires

Rider jacket 

Ballistic helm 

Press vest or Plate vest with or without pouches 

and Any AR you choose . Except for the M4 , all this can be gathered easily on route to any military base . 

No I feel you bruh.

But why should only a sniper want a smersh vest or ghillie? I don't want to be seen any more than your typical sniper, and I am just a berry plucking mountain hermit. And my favorite weapon/attachment combo is a repeater with a hunting scope. The repeater is a piece of cake, but like you said dat scope can take time.

Its not just a sniper thing to want nice things and not be seen.

But why should only a sniper want a smersh vest or ghillie? I don't want to be seen any more than your typical sniper, and I am just a berry plucking mountain hermit. And my favorite weapon/attachment combo is a repeater with a hunting scope. The repeater is a piece of cake, but like you said dat scope can take time.

Its not just a sniper thing to want nice things and not be seen.

I never said it was "only " a sniper thing ? 

My survivalist wears a ghillie hood at all times And full leather outfit. But uses the Blaze 95 with scope. I find the option for double firing both rounds at once can be useful for dropping those cows quick. 

I never said it was "only " a sniper thing ? 
My survivalist wears a ghillie hood at all times And full leather outfit. But uses the Blaze 95 with scope. I find the option for double firing both rounds at once can be useful for dropping those cows quick. 

Which brings me back to my original statement of,

Why does everyone get a hard on for snipers? 

When there is no real clear distinction of "sniper stuff" and "survivor stuff."

Which brings me back to my original statement of,

When there is no real clear distinction of "sniper stuff" and "survivor stuff."

You are basically missing the entire point of the subject and trying to go off topic of the OP . 

No one was talking about Survivor gear, or PvP vs PvE loadouts. 

The OP was specifically asking about Sniper gear, which would be strictly PvP focused . A survivor loadout would be more PvE ( Player vs Environment ) and likely more focused on gear for that. Such as but not limited to farming or fishing gear, zombie weapons and so forth , 

Long range rifles would not be ideal for zombies, nor would noisy ARs, most snipers or combat players wouldnt bother packing gardening tools or water purification tabs like a survivalist would, 

Yes everyone can mix and match the limited gear in the game. But when you choose a specific playstyle or load out , you limit yourself to just the items you need or want for that particular job. 

My survivalist doesnt concern himself with high end combat gear. His inventory is filled with camping, cooking, hunting, fishing and farming gear. Not ammo, guns and armor. 

I have always loved the ghillie suit, however since they made it so hot i tend to just black out, green out and wear the wig.

See the problem before, you would ghillie out, deck out for hours. Come against a heavy armed pack of players, take out a few but then all of a sudden you had the big

"You have been axed" message, so people like myself changed. We said screw all the time it took to deck out and just snipe.

Not all snipers went after fresh spawns. Fresh spawns did tend to give away snipers out of town. Still you would get the odd

"You have been axed" message so many of us stayed away from electro, and that.

Nature of the game.

i personally would love a good series of DayZ sniping, even if i am only doing it myself if i am in the mood for a relaxed evening,

just laying on the forrest hills and taking shots into a milbase or town, it's almost like fishing, only with people

the most important thing is to be very well hidden, don't sit in the first tree line, don't si in the second, watch out for ONE hotspot and wait until anyone goes there,

especially when you are sniping on a town with a police station, you can run extremely far into the woods most of the time,

pick a tree where you can see the police station completely, and snipe to your hearts content, normally no one ever finds you when you are deep enough behind the tree line

it gets stupidly easy when you place a bear trap on the rooftops door, even if the guy sees the beartrap and tries to disarm it, he is toast, if he runs into it, hes toast,

the only thing he can basically do is run away as fast as possible if he wants to survive, it's mind-numbingly easy to set up such a trap

i like sniping, but the desync and lag makes it extremely hard to pull of if someone is doing a "panic loot run", which is also a reason why we need zombies back

basically i can be happy if i hit a target standing still, sometimes bullets just go through the target doing no damage, no idea why

in the mod i loved to shoot people panic looting in the legs, and just let the zombies do the rest, fucking hillarious

but in DayZ standalone having an AK with PSO is far more reliable than a mosin up to 600 meters,

if you fire a volley of five to ten bullets on targets that are unsuspicious, you usually get the kill

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

You are basically missing the entire point of the subject and trying to go off topic of the OP . 
No one was talking about Survivor gear, or PvP vs PvE loadouts. 

The OP was specifically asking about Sniper gear, which would be strictly PvP focused . A survivor loadout would be more PvE ( Player vs Environment ) and likely more focused on gear for that. Such as but not limited to farming or fishing gear, zombie weapons and so forth , 
Long range rifles would not be ideal for zombies, nor would noisy ARs, most snipers or combat players wouldnt bother packing gardening tools or water purification tabs like a survivalist would, 

Yes everyone can mix and match the limited gear in the game. But when you choose a specific playstyle or load out , you limit yourself to just the items you need or want for that particular job. 
My survivalist doesnt concern himself with high end combat gear. His inventory is filled with camping, cooking, hunting, fishing and farming gear. Not ammo, guns and armor. 

I actually wasn't talking about gear specifically when I made my first comment. I was just noting that there are often many threads specifically about snipers. My confusion arises about the fixation on snipers over other playstyles such as "hatchet murderer."  Just like you mentioned, every role has its own demands, I was just curious about why the focus on snipers in this, and many other threads.

However, on the topic of gear:

Looking at many of the responses in this thread, it appears to me that the gear set ups, especially the clothing choices, are almost identical to what I see on myself and other survivors who are not snipers, barring the choice of a sniper rifle.

• Like 1

-snip-

Pretty much.

My go-to gear for every playthrough is the improvised backpack, either tan, brown or green clothing, and a head-covering of the same. In the Northwest fields, I stick with tan. In the mountains and forests, green and brown. Past 200 meters or so, what you are wearing for camouflage is meaningless, anyways. The Gillie ..... "works" up-close, but I would rather have a (nice flat + camouflaged) backpack and be able to move and sprint, rather than a shitty gillie. 

I actually wasn't talking about gear specifically when I made my first comment. I was just noting that there are often many threads specifically about snipers. My confusion arises about the fixation on snipers over other playstyles such as "hatchet murderer."  Just like you mentioned, every role has its own demands, I was just curious about why the focus on snipers in this, and many other threads.

However, on the topic of gear:

Looking at many of the responses in this thread, it appears to me that the gear set ups, especially the clothing choices, are almost identical to what I see on myself and other survivors who are not snipers, barring the choice of a sniper rifle.

It's because a sniper has to be more skilled in more areas than the average CQB or Melee soldier does. Snipers have to know more about camouflage, trajectories, bullet velocities and geography than they would have to know to pick up an M4 and successfully fight in Cherno downtown. The actual good snipers out there are extremely skilled players, don't be fooled by the majority of wannabes who want to snipe for cool factor. It's about patience and maths and you tend to have to get it right first time, hence why so many people want to be a sniping hero :P

It's because a sniper has to be more skilled in more areas than the average CQB or Melee soldier does. Snipers have to know more about camouflage, trajectories, bullet velocities and geography than they would have to know to pick up an M4 and successfully fight in Cherno downtown. The actual good snipers out there are extremely skilled players, don't be fooled by the majority of wannabes who want to snipe for cool factor. It's about patience and maths and you tend to have to get it right first time, hence why so many people want to be a sniping hero :P

A good survivor (and I use this term generally referring to any possible player of Dayz) should eventually learn these things. I believe you are setting up an imaginary rivalry between two unrelated playstyles, CQC soldiers on one side and snipers on the other. Most players are not either.

Try playing on the tog server, and see how well you do as a sniper against their squad. It isnt easy doing up close battles and expecting to get out of it. Landing long ranged shots only gets you in trouble, and your swarmed in a matter of minutes.

It is good to be skilled at survival, as a sniper you improve on staying low key, hide and maneuver  to stay not just alive but hidden by others. Giving yourself away isnt the best choice. Being a lone wolf, can be tons of fun and hard as heck to survive. It all depends on gear too.

You do get hit back just as easy.

I would use certain gear to hide myself. Black is my favorite, in dark spots. Using camo, is great. I like to also use gillie head piece to give myself some cover.

I also loved to shoot at 700m to 1000m I have never hit anyone that far but a buddy of mine did. We measured it, as reported last year in a thread. It was an amazing shot. Lucky and we all died laughing.

I think the closest i have done was 800ish m out but i cant remember its been so long.

Gear is very important as a sniper. You also have to have what i call a backup gun. Its not just about a pistol, although that pistol is something you have to be 150% better at then your sniper rifle.

For those that understand Head shot target practice.

You need a fast paced weapon close by that can spray and pray, if someone sneaks up behind you. I used the MP5, also liked the AK74u

Some gear pieces allowed me to carry exactly the perfect kit. This is something i find so important to keep using, because in your kit you want to be the fast user to swap out items on the fly.

I am sure other snipers have their stories.

Edit

I am not sure gear is the exact thing a sniper concerns himself with, its the whole kit that is important. Staying alive with your kit is more important then hiding in the bush. You want to camo into your area, also you want your kit to swap out asap.

Does this sound right about what your looking for?

Edited by TheSneakyDude
  • Like 1

As mentioned earlier I do tend to lean towards damaged / badly damaged gear (paut rev gorka) since it does tend to blend in more while still providing protection from the elements. I prefer tan colours since they do seem to fit in with the general overlay on terrain you can see from a distance (ie: where grass / shrubs don't render anymore). Also love my ruined skull mask and green radar cap / toque. I'm trying a grey beanie out now to see if it blends in better. 

I run a stock colour gun wrap... tan gloves... lighter coloured combat boots if I can find them. I keep a modified backpack (lower profile) with a sawed off in it for close in stuff plus a worn plate carrier with gun slot for a FNX if I need something silenced. Loads of room for food and supplies while also some space for the essentials needed to support the group I was running with- saline IV kit / bandages / lock pick kit etc. 

I understand where the animosity towards snipers comes from and have probably subscribed to those stereotypes in the past at some point in time or another even if it wasn't really intentional. I think I was more valuable to the guys when I didn't fire a shot since shooting in busy areas is certain to get SOMEONES attention and there really aren't that many places to hide that aren't well known. Being able to call out folks for the running backs to go and deal with as necessary was much more fun anyway. Shooting is a lot of work and being a lazy guy I'd rather just stay whisper quiet and let them do the talking. 

The whole thing takes a boatload of patience... and I respect the guys who have it and apply it for (what I think are) the right reasons even though even the best may gravitate to the dark side every now and then. 

A good survivor (and I use this term generally referring to any possible player of Dayz) should eventually learn these things. I believe you are setting up an imaginary rivalry between two unrelated playstyles, CQC soldiers on one side and snipers on the other. Most players are not either.

I'm not setting up anything, that just sounds stupid. You said "every role has its own demands, I was just curious about why the focus on snipers in this, and many other threads." and i gave my opinion on your curiosity. I used two distinct play styles for comparison and never once suggested that "most people" are any kind of play style.

My apologies if you've been raped by snipers to the point you can't bring yourself to admit it's hard :rolleyes:

Indeed, I do think the animosity of snipers carries over quite well into the real world, although snipers were originally more of a officer killer / area denial role. Their whole purpose and MO is to harass, frustrate and impede the progress of troops or movement through an area.

People don't like being told what to do, less so if it's some faceless chap in a rubber suit watching you from half a mile out.

I've had guys with M4's back in .4x miss me on the coast road, every shot bar one, from <100m.  It was hillarious but exhilirating (told to stop they just wanted to give me something, knowing that gift was probably an early grave i told them to stick it and went into flash gordon mode and spammed A + D while running full pelt).

Coming under 'marksman' fire is a lot more exhilirating as every shot could be your last, and it's the gaps between fire that really make me jump.  If they're terrible as with the m4 heroes it can also be quite fun to storm the sniper.

Just be aware that poor shots are twice as bad when cornered.

This is my general move as well.  Rotate positions when sniping, but if i  get spooked or know i'm being stalked after/without taking a shot i'll seek to domicile myself in some corner and wait like a coiled up snake with a shotgun or something fast.  If it's not the bad guy that comes through the door then my condolences.

The thing about sniping is that in close quarters you're fucked. And alot of people like to go yoloswaghomofag on you once they are getting sniped.