Sign in to follow this  
Connect3d

Let all cars* be random.

I personally think the more random things are the better. But as of right now, the only random things are police cars and heli crashes.

I suggest we make all cars, military trucks, jeeps, Humvees and similar random, just like police cars and heli crashes are right now.

Too much trouble for little>no perceived gains.

The reason the police cars and helis are random is because they have more valuable loot and should require more time and effort to encounter.

Civilian wrecks are so common I imagine the time to program this in and fine tune it would far outweigh the benefits.

Edit: if every time the server restarted, ALL of those cars moved randomly, I would find that immersion breaking.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

I would find that immersion breaking.

Same. The wrecked/abandoned cars make good landmarks.

Too much trouble for little>no perceived gains.

Was literally about to write that. 

I'd like there to be more dynamic events. Maybe a burnt out military or civilian convoy with random semi-valuable loot strewn about.

If things like humvees and UAZs spawn good loot, I'd have no problem with them being randomised. If they spawn fairly mundane loot, however, they should be static.

I think more unique ideas along the same lines as choppers/cop cars. Things like random ambulances spawning the obvious and maybe some kinda of crashed grocery store truck that spawns vegetables n soda's etc would be nice

• Like 1

I really don't think we should be associating 'dynamic events' with vehicles. It is just weird to see vehicles spawn or move to different places when they've been abandoned for months and there's no one around to move them. I would consider so many other things as dynamic events before attempting to bring cars into it;

Type 1 Barricades: Locked rooms/buildings/world containers

- Looks and works identically to player made barricades. - This measure provides an opportunity to disguise bases/stashes.

- Common enough that they are encountered in every town, but not so common that it impedes normal player behaviour. - This measure will desensitize players to barricades.

- Requires a lot of effort to break into. (Carrying around heavy tools such as bolt-cutters) - This measure will dis-incentivize players from choosing to break barricades.

- NOT associated with any change in loot. - This measure removes the constant positive re-enforcement gained from breaking into barricades.

Type 2 Barricades: Lockers/crates/boxes/shipping containers

- IS associated with high end loot. (Encourages players to seek them out) 

- Requires effort to break into (Effort = reward)

- High traffic areas (Encourages PvP & attracts zombies)

As for vehicles, I have a different approach in mind.

Using the CLE and (much more localised) regional control, the game could easily control the amount of (functional) vehicle numbers at any one time, stop the Random Number God from getting in the way of players fixing up vehicles, and reduce the amount of PvP interference.

- Smaller regions for vehicle based CLE - Give players a chance to concentrate their efforts in a region around the vehicle they choose to fix. No larger than 1km2.

- Replace most of the static models with dynamic models (in various states of decay) -  This relates to reducing the PvP problem as with the "Type 1 barricades" above.

- Make all the vehicle parts spawn in their exact location within vehicles - This is critical. It rewards players for dedicated scavenging, rather than random looting. 

- Remove all non-vehicle related loot from vehicles - If there's no incentive to check cars for loot, then randoms won't be likely to stumble upon someone's project.

- Spawn 80% of vehicle parts ruined - This isn't exactly a fixed number, but having a majority of ruined parts will enforce the feeling of 'scavenging' for that elusive working part.

- Spawn 80% of vehicles ruined - Again, this is all about getting that 'scavenging' atmosphere right

- Spawn only enough worn or pristine parts to restore one or two full vehicles (of each type) in any region. This will do two things.

1) It will make the task of repairing a car that much harder

2) It will cause conflict over vehicle parts.

Garages

- Tools and 'spare' parts still spawn in garages - Hey, it makes sense (I expect at least a few tools will still spawn with vehicles)

- More garages (especially around houses) - Give players options to actually hide and lock up their toys in different ways.

- Vehicles spawning inside garages - Again, as long as the game creates 'noise' and reduces the probability of something being player related, then it will lower the PvP.  

Edited by MrAerospace