VVarhead

Dark nights? Where'd they go? Also: Thunder?

Sup guys.

Just wanted to adress something that I feel is rather important for the atmosphere of and in DayZ.

Where'd the dark nights go? I remember in the mod (vanilla) it was so dark you could only see a zombie when he was standing 0,5m in front of you.

Now the colours seem to be different, brightness is definitely higher, also it doesn't look as realistic as it used to.

What the fuck happened and why did they remove real nighttime? I don't wanna cry casual but it pretty much seems like it.

Also, now that we finally got weather back in the game: Where did the fucking roaring and frightening thunder sounds from DayZ-Mod and early Standalone go?

You had them in-game, they scared the shit out of me each and every time I heard em'.

Please, bring those back!

It was only that dark so long as you didn't abuse your gamma and brightness settings, which pretty much everyone did. Those who didn't had a huge disadvantage and were pretty likely to me killed without ever being able to see their assailant. Now since nights are brighter, it's not so much of a disadvantage to leave your gamma/brightness settings alone. Definitely miss nights being darker though (although the pitch black was a bit over the top imo). Hopefully they're able to find some sort of fix for gamma abuse down the road.

Not sure about thunder.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 4

thunder is in

greets

Really? Never noticed. 

It used to be so fucking loud you literally jumped out of your seat.

Is it location specific now? I can't imagine this works properly when gun sounds won't even be heard by everyone in the vicinity

(for example: the nearer to the lightning - louder thunder)

Edited by VVarhead

It was only that dark so long as you didn't abuse your gamma and brightness settings, which pretty much everyone did. Those who didn't had a huge disadvantage and were pretty likely to me killed without ever being able to see their assailant. Now since nights are brighter, it's not so much of a disadvantage to leave your gamma/brightness settings alone. Definitely miss nights being darker though (although the pitch black was a bit over the top imo). Hopefully they're able to find some sort of fix for gamma abuse down the road.

We actually have no night time on our server. We made a poll and most people prefer not to have any night time currently. We will think about making dawn time instead of real night time for the feels.

What the fuck happened and why did they remove real nighttime? I don't wanna cry casual but it pretty much seems like it.

Because it sucked. Once they get the new renderer in we'll hopefully see improvements for night time. I love night play, but the truth is its unattractive with the current engine. Stay tuned!

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 2

Thunder is still in, but, much quieter than it was, and there's no more lightning strikes. That's all gonna change with the updated renderer. It'll be one step at a time, don't expect huge changes all at once though.

Even though I love lightning and thunder, the lightning strikes used to look a little bit silly in my opinion, being too curved instead of being like a real lightning strike.

68rf3d.jpg

As for the nights, I hope eventually they get back to being pitch black, if there's no other source of light like the moon, etc. A cloudy night, without electricity, in the country side, believe me, is pitch black.

• Like 1

They should also consider re-adding that eerie music the mod had, that seemed to come from nowhere.. it was part of the reason (as a lone wolf) i got so immersed in the game, in my early days.

• Like 4

As someone mentioned new renderer should make it ideal again since the current lighting in DayZ is absolutely horrible. Hopefully we see some kind of global illumination as well so we get more consistency (like interiors being brighter than outside for some reason)... Some new fog wouldn't hurt either. But we won't know anything until the "uncertain" release of the constantly delayed renderer..

Edited by grimsonfart

Because it sucked. Once they get the new renderer in we'll hopefully see improvements for night time. I love night play, but the truth is its unattractive with the current engine. Stay tuned!

I don't think it sucked at all. If you didn't abuse gamma and brightness like everybody else it was immersive and atmospheric as hell.

Of course the current engine really isn't doing well with illumination, like the other guy said - even in the night inside buildings it's much brighter all of a sudden.

Also I think thunder should be as loud as it was, loud enough to disguise a shot, definitely.

• Like 1

agreed. I've done plenty of Hunting/Camping/etc in my time and the way nights were previously done in the SA was abysmal and unrealistically pitch-black. The fact that i couldn't see a waist-high wooden fence im runing against, and its so black i cant even tell that im not moving!? Completely un-realistic and simply annoying. I do hope that 24hr 'real time' cycles are forced on public hive at some point once the new rendering is in, because i Miss night-time play- but i certainly don't want the 'old' nights back as they were.

I don't think it sucked at all. If you didn't abuse gamma and brightness like everybody else it was immersive and atmospheric as hell.

Of course the current engine really isn't doing well with illumination, like the other guy said - even in the night inside buildings it's much brighter all of a sudden.

Also I think thunder should be as loud as it was, loud enough to disguise a shot, definitely.

I don't want super casual night any more then you, But if you have ever been outdoors at night away from city (such as camping) you have to admit not being able to see a fence your running into was just ridiculous. also tons of issues with illumination like lights going thru solid walls yeah.. i don't want night play back if it's going to be in that state.

We actually have no night time on our server. We made a poll and most people prefer not to have any night time currently. We will think about making dawn time instead of real night time for the feels.

One thing I keep saying for nights is to have a server setup that cycles days every 7 hours. 5 hours day, 2 half hours for twilight leaving about an hour of darkness.

What this does is firstly, the 7 hour cycle means if you play at the same real life time each day, you'll always see the full range of times over the course of a week.

The next thing it does is add in a tool that players can plan and use. You want to raid a base or town? Maybe you'll do it just before sunset or just after sunrise giving people the opportunity to use the dark as a cover (or maybe just to sit around a campfire and talk :))

With the dark time being only an hour, it's not a major issue and people will be able to plan around it anyway as they'll be able to work out when it's due.

As a player, I'm no fan of the night but I wouldn't mind an hour and then get to experience the beautiful sunrises and sunsets the game will offer and make the world more immersive.

I think the current night dark is far far far more realistic then the old dark which was honestly stupid.

Had a morning on underground early in the week were it was night time and raining and you really could barely see.  On a server that would normally have at least 30 people at that time there were about 10 on.

The last few "nights" in game have been clear skys and full moons and you can see as well as you should be able too.

I honestly cannot fathom someone wanting the crazy ink black night that they used to have when stand alone started and in the mod. I was just silly.

I think the current night dark is far far far more realistic then the old dark which was honestly stupid.

Had a morning on underground early in the week were it was night time and raining and you really could barely see.  On a server that would normally have at least 30 people at that time there were about 10 on.

The last few "nights" in game have been clear skys and full moons and you can see as well as you should be able too.

I honestly cannot fathom someone wanting the crazy ink black night that they used to have when stand alone started and in the mod. I was just silly.

Yes, but as the nights with a clear sky can indeed be brighter, they do not lose color. The gray nights are very ugly and take me (personally) right out of the immersion. Arma 3 did a good job on this, The sun and the moon use the same directional (as far as I know off, correct me if I'm wrong), light it just changes intensity and color. Which in turn create a very accurate color schema throughout the day evening and night sky.

You clearly haven't been out in the countryside, where there are no street lights or light sources near you and it's cloudy, foggy or even crescent moon it's just fucking pitch black. 

The nights right now are silly.

I spent 7 years in the infantry, 5 years as a recce scout, much of that time in west coast rain forests. I spent a week in the last month in a natural park with no lights within 70 km of me. You have not idea what your talking about. I have spent exponentially more time in the wilderness then you have almost certainly.

Yes, but as the nights with a clear sky can indeed be brighter, they do not lose color. The gray nights are very ugly and take me (personally) right out of the immersion. Arma 3 did a good job on this, The sun and the moon use the same directional (as far as I know off, correct me if I'm wrong), light it just changes intensity and color. Which in turn create a very accurate color schema throughout the day evening and night sky.

The parts of your eye that can see in low light cannot differentiate colour at all. The game is perfectly accurate that way.

• Like 2

Dark nights as they currently stand are quite accurate. Someone who functions for longer than 10 minutes in the dark has their eye sight begin to adjust to the lighting and see as well as you currently do at night. They cannot differentiate colour though.

That being said, I miss the old lightning. Would be awesome to have lightning strikes and the old sounds return. Perhaps lightning strikes could even start fires around the areas they strike?

Dark nights as they currently stand are quite accurate. Someone who functions for longer than 10 minutes in the dark has their eye sight begin to adjust to the lighting and see as well as you currently do at night. They cannot differentiate colour though.

That being said, I miss the old lightning. Would be awesome to have lightning strikes and the old sounds return. Perhaps lightning strikes could even start fires around the areas they strike?

Seriously? You wanna tell me I can see about 1 to 1,5 kilometers when it's night? And there's a clear sky?

Just go on a night server, go up some mountain and tell me how far you're able to look.

It's exactly as far as in daytime, so stop talking shit.

Yes, the field of view is okay when it's raining, or very cloudy.

But when there's a clear sky the field of view is ridiculous!

I'm not kidding, you can see up to 2 kilometers far.

You clearly haven't been out in the countryside, where there are no street lights or light sources near you and it's cloudy, foggy or even crescent moon it's just fucking pitch black. 

As a matter of fact I have been to the country side, I live in a fielded and forested area. And yes pitch black happens when you have just turned of your light source. After a while your eyes adjust and it gets lighter. Fields are very managable, however you are right about the forest part, if it is dense, not much light gets through.

I would really like to see weather like strong rain with storm and bushes, gras are blowing in the wind...maybe heavy thunder and stuff.

The atmosphere is too low for a zombie-apokalyptic game in my opinion.
I know that they are doing the environment thing and it`s still early alpha... (after ~2years), missing zombies and all the important things.
But yeah...it`s allowed to dream :)

Edited by Nebuuuu
  • Like 1

Forget the countryside.  Ever been in a city during a blackout?  It's pitch black with no lights.  Maybe you see the buildings silhouetted against the sky.   

The whole point of making it pitch black is so you need flashlights, chemlights  and road flares.

That is not realistic. what ever you think.

Forget the countryside.  Ever been in a city during a blackout?  It's pitch black with no lights.  Maybe you see the buildings silhouetted against the sky.   

The whole point of making it pitch black is so you need flashlights, chemlights  and road flares.

That's exactly what I'm saying. But people on these forums seem to think it's realistic to be able to see 1,5-2 kilometres into the distance, in the dark...

Like, what the fuck? I can't even look further than 300 metres when it's real dark outside and see anything, you just see the silhouettes of some trees and shit, some slight alterations in color (dark/light) maybe with whom you can try to decipher what you're looking at.

Right now in DayZ I can see a tree from 1km distance and I still see every branch of it!

That's better realism for you, PongoZ?

Also, I agree that the world loses it's colour in the night, but it doesn't end up being gray but rather blueish-black, like it used to be. ArmA 3 did it well, too.

If you light a gas lamp on a night-time server - everything stays grey.

If there's the gamma and brightness settings, which other survival games dont have and are doing great then why not take out weapons flashlights and hand held ones, if brightness is an issue then hit the button on the monitor>< if this is a hardcore PvP game and not a survival game they should just drop the bomb, people have a lot of high hopes for this game and doesn't seem like it's going in the survival direction..having to eat drink and bandage dosen't make it survival--_--l  if that's the case then all shooters are survival because we never want to die

- on the days that rain all day, storms on, I hear the thunder but not on the reg rainy sometimes dayz

Edited by KandyCid