cornholio308

I CAN SEE YOU!

Here is a huge game changer that enfusion can bring us, concealment! The current method in the real virtuality engine "arma uses" is beyond garbage. Instead of going into the details I'll give credit to "Ecloo" and direct you to his very well formed opinion on the matter. https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140105-rendering-grass-at-long-distances-my-thoughts-about-it/

What "Ecloo" was suggesting is a really effective simulation of what we would naturally see in real life, but it's not perfect. The human eye notices movement, and the scenes currently in arma and dayz are almost completely static, thus any movement is instantly noticed. In reality there is lots of things moving, grass, trees, dust, the list goes on. But clearly todays software/compute power is fairly weak at replicating anything like this. But the concept "Ecloo" was mentioning can work. 

• Like 3

Hey, pretty interesting info in the link.. I'm now very intrigued..

Other info from the user's posting on that particular topic in the forum states the character models appear to sink slightly into the ground as compensation for grass not rendering for the current solution to hide distant players. Now come to think of it I have noticed that before and always though it was a bug I'm pretty sure?. If the OP's idea hasnt been used yet than why not I wonder.. I mean its basic enough to understand if you know anything about alpha channels etc so i sure theres a bit to think about there.. soo yeah 

nice post Cornholio !

• Like 1

It would be graphics intensive I imagine to have swaying trees, grass etc. If it can be done though, it would be amazing. It would instantly further add to the atmosphere AND the camouflage and concealment element.

This was discussed in fair depth here when the topic first came up regarding Arma 3.

I'm not sure how feasible the devs consider it to be, but I do believe that they're aware of the idea.

• Like 2

Sounds like it'd be a relatively simple shader effect. Grass could retain the same view distance properties, but those properties could be overridden to spawn invisible grass around players at a distance. This grass maintains its alpha obscuration properties, but isn't actually visible.

Sounds like a wonderful idea. Certainly it sounds more feasible than something like the wall peeking obscuration thing that is occasionally discussed. Would be cool to get a dev's input on this sort of thing.

This was discussed in fair depth here when the topic first came up regarding Arma 3.

I'm not sure how feasible the devs consider it to be, but I do believe that they're aware of the idea.

<3 

Boy does this look like a good idea to me.

Yup, check out some of my other posts. Even if some of the suggestions I have made make it into the game even months or a year post release it would be okay, fingers crossed dayz wont be one of those games that gets released and gets MAYBE a couple of bug patches here and there and is left to die. That seems to be the trend with most games, a set period where creation and development and then the dreaded full release comes and the creation and further development seizes to exist, you would think by not having to create so much content that actually makes the full game their hands would be free to look into more complex and in depth features but instead just resort to patching bugs. It's mind boggling. 

Interesting. I always thought that people sinking in the ground was a glitch... apparently that's how they "imply" the grass level.

Yup, check out some of my other posts. Even if some of the suggestions I have made make it into the game even months or a year post release it would be okay, fingers crossed dayz wont be one of those games that gets released and gets MAYBE a couple of bug patches here and there and is left to die. -snip-

How could you possibly think this?

You are so invested in DayZ but somehow missed all the times the devs said DayZ was a decade long project?

How about modding?   :facepalm:

I love the suggestion RE: a fix for terrain bullshit but maybe also follow the development news before making baseless conclusions.

I swear it's like 25 people on this forum actually follow the progress of this game sometimes.... :wacko:

You are so invested in DayZ but somehow missed all the times the devs said DayZ was a decade long project?

I love the suggestion RE: a fix for terrain bullshit but maybe also follow the development news before making baseless conclusions.

I swear it's like 25 people on this forum actually follow the progress of this game sometimes.... :wacko:

Decade long project? When you make statements like that you should show some actual proof considering it's been apparently said so many times, and the only justifiable facepalm here is the one I am doing at this moment at the fact you have an issue that someone has not seen something you have. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Also another facepalm at the fact you mentioned modding as the solution, if modding was the answer wouldn't you think these mods would have existed in dayz mod, or any of the arma series?? 

Come to think of it, even if it was stated that dayz will be getting features added a decade from now "I cant find any proof of this", please show me some statements from the dev team mentioning any of the suggestions I have made were in the works.  :rolleyes:

-snip- :rolleyes:

You're so far off the mark it's like you're firing from another planet.

First of all, you should calm yourself and reread what I wrote.

I was only talking about support for DayZ into the future.

Modding adds to the longevity of the game, I did not say it was the way to add your graphical fix.

It has been said that DayZ will be supported for as long as 10 years.

Whether you choose to believe me or not.

I am in no way required to offer a link. Especially if you're not required to follow the status reports but feel you have so much to offer.

If I remember correctly it's been said a few times by the devs and in at least 1 status report some months ago possibly in a conversation regarding console support.

Oh yeah!

Console support, that adds longevity to the title in a way too, doesn't it?

You're so far off the mark it's like you're firing from another planet.

First of all, you should calm yourself and reread what I wrote.

I was only talking about support for DayZ into the future.

Modding adds to the longevity of the game, I did not say it was the way to add your graphical fix.

It has been said that DayZ will be supported for as long as 10 years.

Whether you choose to believe me or not.

I am in no way required to offer a link. Especially if you're not required to follow the status reports but feel you have so much to offer.

If I remember correctly it's been said a few times by the devs and in at least 1 status report some months ago possibly in a conversation regarding console support.

Oh yeah!

Console support, that adds longevity to the title in a way too, doesn't it?

Stop making such statements that are irrelevant to the topic. Support for the game is exactly as I stated, Bug fixing and maybe official server support. So who is on another planet here? The fact you wrote "how about modding" sarcastically clearly represents you were directly referring to what I was talking about in my OP, I clearly stated if these features couldn't make the cut before full release then they could easily be added on post release, and my fear is that dayz will indeed of course have support, but not the support in the way of adding meaningful features like nearly every game released today. The only content they release is DLC that you have to be ridiculous money for.

Explain to me how console support insures the features I was suggesting are added? When did I say longevity was my concern? Also, in some ways you are not required to back up what you are saying, for example there is no legal contract to do so, but in another light, such as actually making a valid point. It IS required. 

I do indeed follow the development of the game, I may miss snippets of information due to having a life but what can you do? I don't feel I have much to offer in terms of good suggestions, I know my suggestions would compliment DayZ.

Edited by Cornholio308

Anyway, lets try keep this about the suggestion aye?

Edited by Cornholio308

Anyway, lets try keep this about the suggestion aye?

This.

I can't believe how both of you can get off on a tangient when in theory you agreed that it is a good idea:

I love the suggestion

You both need to calm your horses before entering the race.

• Like 2