Sign in to follow this  
Keck

Atmosphere and environment

So just a few ideas how, in my opinion, the atmosphere of the game can be enhanced, since currently it's not really a post-apocalyptic one.

Fog

Pretty obvious, let there be fog, maybe during sunrise/ -set. I guess I don't have to add lots of explanation about how fog adds atmosphere, just watch any horror movie, about every 2nd of them has at least one scene in the woods/swamps during a foggy night. Just imagine for  a second walking through the woods in DayZ (ofc 1st person, screw casuals ;) ) and you can't see any further than 5m and the screams of a player tear through the night, followed by the screams of a pack of zombies. This also leads to my next idea, namely

New player sounds

So, I guess being bitten to death by zombies/infected is pretty painful. Wouldn't it be logic then if the player being eaten would scream in pain? And no I don't mean this little "oua" thingy. Frankly I couldn't find a good example for better sounds on YouTube, but I guess I can leave it up for your imagination. ;)

Grass

I'm sure you guys have already noticed that high grass doesn't render anymore once you're further away than, say 50m. This isn't only atmospheric disturbing, but also gameplay-wise, since basically the only way to hide out in the wilderness are bushes. Wouldn'T it just be cool to put on your ghillie suit and lay down in the open waiting for other players to pass by?

• Like 3

So just a few ideas how, in my opinion, the atmosphere of the game can be enhanced, since currently it's not really a post-apocalyptic one.

Fog

Pretty obvious, let there be fog, maybe during sunrise/ -set. I guess I don't have to add lots of explanation about how fog adds atmosphere, just watch any horror movie, about every 2nd of them has at least one scene in the woods/swamps during a foggy night. Just imagine for  a second walking through the woods in DayZ (ofc 1st person, screw casuals ;) ) and you can't see any further than 5m and the screams of a player tear through the night, followed by the screams of a pack of zombies. This also leads to my next idea, namely

New player sounds

So, I guess being bitten to death by zombies/infected is pretty painful. Wouldn't it be logic then if the player being eaten would scream in pain? And no I don't mean this little "oua" thingy. Frankly I couldn't find a good example for better sounds on YouTube, but I guess I can leave it up for your imagination. ;)

Grass

I'm sure you guys have already noticed that high grass doesn't render anymore once you're further away than, say 50m. This isn't only atmospheric disturbing, but also gameplay-wise, since basically the only way to hide out in the wilderness are bushes. Wouldn'T it just be cool to put on your ghillie suit and lay down in the open waiting for other players to pass by?

1) Day Z takes place in a rather hilly locale, the only place where there would be fog is in the valleys and along the coast

2) the "zombies" in-game aren't actually zombies, but people infected with a disease. Plus, AFAIK, they don't actually bite you, nor eat you, in the standalone. They just beat you to death.

3) That is a renderer issue, not an actual decided-on mechanic.

One thing I can add to this is that there should be a LOT more standing water in the cities, especially the coastal ones. Without electric pumps to keep the sewers working, both the water/sewer mains under the streets will overflow and collapse, and the marshes and streams will rapidly overflow their banks and flood nearby valleys. Of course, Day Z has severe issues with rendering water to begin with, so I am not expecting this anytime soon.

Edited by Whyherro123

Fog is planned, hopefully it will work similarly to how it does in Arma 3

One thing I can add to this is that there should be a LOT more standing water in the cities, especially the coastal ones. Without electric pumps to keep the sewers working, both the water/sewer mains under the streets will overflow and collapse, and the marshes and streams will rapidly overflow their banks and flood nearby valleys. Of course, Day Z has severe issues with rendering water to begin with, so I am not expecting this anytime soon.

This is a really interesting idea, it would be great to see if it's feasible.  

Fog is planned, hopefully it will work similarly to how it does in

I'm hoping its not exactly like Arma3 since it is more of island fog. It goes bottom up, that would look increadible by the coast, but you rarely see the contrast, except from the top of a mountain. Inland mountain fog should be more chunky varying at heights.

Fog has been added in special servers during .58 exp testing. I think it's parts of the new render tech starting to shine through. Weather seemed more abusive in appearance, but had same affect as we see now.

Edited by hrdrok
  • Like 1

Fog

New player sounds

Grass

Fog is actually in game. Grass is problem with all games. You just can't put grass to be seen from Svetlojarsk to Komarovo. They'd rather sacrifice grass than performance. It you had grass from now 50m, to 200m, you'll get atleast 5-15 FPD srops.

Whenever they work on optimizing the game (beta....sigh.....its a long way off), then I could see taller grass. 

Imagine playing hide and go seek in a cornfield with infected and other hostile survivors in it? That would get my heart pumping and scare the shit out of me. 

Cant wait for the new audio to be introduced....sound is critical in a game like this. In the mod the player screamed while being eaten and ripped apart.

Like with most things we just have to wait.

• Like 1

2) the "zombies" in-game aren't actually zombies, but people infected with a disease. Plus, AFAIK, they don't actually bite you, nor eat you, in the standalone. They just beat you to death.

And the thought of "getting mauled by an infected person" as opposed to getting eaten by a zombie will let you endure the procedure with quiet dignity is that your point? Otherwise I don't know how that elaborate explanation even remotely translates to the topic suggested by the op, who, actually, hereby get's my beans for he has good ideas.

• Like 1

And the thought of "getting mauled by an infected person" as opposed to getting eaten by a zombie will let you endure the procedure with quiet dignity is that your point? Otherwise I don't know how that elaborate explanation even remotely translates to the topic suggested by the op, who, actually, hereby get's my beans for he has good ideas.

Well, when you get punched in the arm do you scream like "hrrreyyyeeeeeaaararrrghhhg"? Nah you're gonna do some grunt like "murrgh" or something. If you get bit and your flesh is fucking torn apart Then you do go all "hrryyyyeeeaaargh". Atleast that's my opinion

Well, when you get punched in the arm do you scream like "hrrreyyyeeeeeaaararrrghhhg"?

Well... I usually don't die from getting punched in the arm. And I'm pretty sure in the case that I would be attacked by one, maybe multiple "infected people" a little scream out of fear alone would not be out of place but "fitting/beneficial" to the atmosphere. Moreso than a "grunt". That's all the op suggested. I don't think he wants every "ouch" to be replaced by "hrrreyyyeeeeeaaararrrghhhg" - at least that's not what I am getting from the suggestion.

So I just found it weird to be in such a defensive stance from the get-go, dismissing the mere suggestion of someone screaming while being bitten (or beaten) to death by the fact that "no,no, they are not zombies. Here, let me punch you in the arm and see what you say". Just this discussion right here is just weird - that is all I'm saying. And now I'm done, because I won't be fed until I'm actually being the troll here.

Well... I usually don't die from getting punched in the arm. And I'm pretty sure in the case that I would be attacked by one, maybe multiple "infected people" a little scream out of fear alone would not be out of place but "fitting/beneficial" to the atmosphere. Moreso than a "grunt". That's all the op suggested. I don't think he wants every "ouch" to be replaced by "hrrreyyyeeeeeaaararrrghhhg" - at least that's not what I am getting from the suggestion.

So I just found it weird to be in such a defensive stance from the get-go, dismissing the mere suggestion of someone screaming while being bitten (or beaten) to death by the fact that "no,no, they are not zombies. Here, let me punch you in the arm and see what you say". Just this discussion right here is just weird - that is all I'm saying. And now I'm done, because I won't be fed until I'm actually being the troll here.

I suppose you are right.

The in-game characters used to make much more noise when injured, moaning, groaning, complaining and such. The devs took all that out, to the detriment of the game in my opinion.

However, I wouldn't be screaming in fear to every little thing, either, nor pain that isn't immediately disabling. Human beings have this chemical called "adrenaline", and it lets us do a hell of a lot, including effectively ignoring pain, broken bones, fear etc. It kicks in whenever you get afraid, get in a fight, or get injured. I wouldn't be making all that much noise until after a fight, when the adrenaline wears off, and I realize that I just broke all the fingers in my hand punching zombies in the head.

As an aside, we really should get damaged when we punch things.

• Like 1

I like breaking through locked doors by punching them.

This is more of what I want with fog. Arma3 can't do this AFAIK

This is more of a mountain fog, A3 is more of a island fog. I find the A3 for really cool looking, but for gameplay its not that great, your either in it or out of it, solely dependent on elevation.

2014-01-14-08-42-41.jpg

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

This is more of what I want with fog. Arma3 can't do this AFAIK

This is more of a mountain fog, A3 is more of a island fog. I find the A3 for really cool looking, but for gameplay its not that great, your either in it or out of it, solely dependent on elevation.

I get your point but that pic looks like a tropical region, and therefore that type of fog most likely wouldn't suit Chernarus either. I'm not quite sure what kind of fog would suit the map, seeing as the terrain is from the landlocked Czech Republic but it's situated on the Black sea.

I imagine the devs will base the fog formations on what they have observed locally in the Czech Republic, although that wont be quite right because the sea has a big effect on the weather.

I get your point but that pic looks like a tropical region, and therefore that type of fog most likely wouldn't suit Chernarus either. I'm not quite sure what kind of fog would suit the map, seeing as the terrain is from the landlocked Czech Republic but it's situated on the Black sea.

I imagine the devs will base the fog formations on what they have observed locally in the Czech Republic, although that wont be quite right because the sea has a big effect on the weather.

Realistically, I guess both would suit it. This one is from the area to make you feel better. :P im Looking for more patchy fog, that you would see in a forest after a cold wet night. That's really different than A3 fog.

I guess I would be more disappointed if it was the sea type fog only.

535652765-turkey-black-sea-region-zilkal

Edited by Coheed_IV

Screams of pain/fear are a must in my opinion, imagine receiving a surprise axe in your shoulder, you would scream like fuck and probably start crying thinking you are for sure going to die. We need Silent Hill levels of disturbing sound, those kind of sounds that would make even the guy with the axe uncomfortable you know.

Edited by Avant-Garde

I jus wanna hear mofo's being eaten alive from a kilometer away in the middle of the night.. I would really like that 

The in-game characters used to make much more noise when injured, moaning, groaning, complaining and such. The devs took all that out, to the detriment of the game in my opinion.

However, I wouldn't be screaming in fear to every little thing, either, nor pain that isn't immediately disabling. Human beings have this chemical called "adrenaline", and it lets us do a hell of a lot, including effectively ignoring pain, broken bones, fear etc. It kicks in whenever you get afraid, get in a fight, or get injured. I wouldn't be making all that much noise until after a fight, when the adrenaline wears off, and I realize that I just broke all the fingers in my hand punching zombies in the head.

First off, sorry for not replying earlier, was busy with some RL stuff. Anyways, of course, there adrenaline, that's why the characters shouldn't be screaming in pain if somebody, dunno, punches them really hard or something. What I am talking about is when a zombie for example is , quite succesfully, trying to rip your arm off. You can't be as pumped as you wish, but in such a situation/or similar, I'm exaggerating, you will scream.