Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[0.58] Persistence Breaks Servers

Everyone in our community as well as myself has been dying for persistence. Well, we got persistence and the lag that comes with it is breaking the servers. Players can't interact with inventory, doors, storage, items, etc. I'm at a loss as to why persistence would be released with these caveats.

The devs knew this which is why they're allowing us GSP renters to wipe the world. What makes it worse is loot farmers are speeding up the process of getting the server load into the red.

With the amount of time they've spent trying to get persistence working, I'm starting to question if its ever going to work.

:(

• Like 2

i honestly dont understand your post. ive played exp for the last 6 weeks and stable since it was released, both highpop pub & priv but not many different servers. for me performance was and is much better than .57 and i dont have any severe lag issues.

are you referring to the mentioned "big base"bug? if not, plz describe whats wrong. If it only affects your server think about contacting the devteam, a friend had problems with his and those were fixed after a short time.

greets

Edited by edwin3

Hmm. I haven't seen any issues like this on experimental, and some fellas had really extensive bases.

While I played on US-2 of the Colony with about 10-15 other players yesterday and the day before, I didn't have any issues at all. I haven't joined US-1 yet, or US-3 for that matter.

Are those "lag" problems only on a specific server, or all 3??

I've playing a bit on other private hives too, and been preparing something with Tatanko on the public servers too, and for me so far the latency and inventory interactions have been great!! Can't complain at all right now!

I'll try and log in all 3 Colony branches later on and check it out.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but Hicks did acknowledge during a PAX stream yesterday that there were some unforeseen issues afflicting private hives that never came up in their testing (and didn't come up in Experimental either). That doesn't fix the problem for you, but it should be encouraging to know they are aware of the issue and can get to work on it.

• Like 5

for me on all servers i play, it works fine

Either your on low pop servers or the admins are wiping the world on a consistent basis.

i honestly dont understand your post. ive played exp for the last 6 weeks and stable since it was released, both highpop pub & priv but not many different servers. for me performance was and is much better than .57 and i dont have any severe lag issues.

are you referring to the mentioned "big base"bug? if not, plz describe whats wrong. If it only affects your server think about contacting the devteam, a friend had problems with his and those were fixed after a short time.

greets

Stand in front of a door for several minutes, no door icon. Get a door icon, open it as much as you like (I've done it 50x) and it doesn't open. Move an item out of your inventory takes 30-60 seconds.  Can't drink from a well. Gets bad enough: lost session. Login/logout over and over and you might get to interact.

Playing exp doesn't mean much because the population is low and people aren't stock-piling goods server wide. Also, they wiped the world several x during exp with the 14 different updates.

Its not a big base bug, its persistence. I've personally tested one barrel with a few items in it. We've got the item interaction issues on all 3 of our servers and we have players testing this on public servers with the same exact issue. There are also posts in the forum about it. Its not an isolated incident.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Hmm. I haven't seen any issues like this on experimental, and some fellas had really extensive bases.

While I played on US-2 of the Colony with about 10-15 other players yesterday and the day before, I didn't have any issues at all. I haven't joined US-1 yet, or US-3 for that matter.

Are those "lag" problems only on a specific server, or all 3??

I've playing a bit on other private hives too, and been preparing something with Tatanko on the public servers too, and for me so far the latency and inventory interactions have been great!! Can't complain at all right now!

I'll try and log in all 3 Colony branches later on and check it out.

All three. US-3 just got world wiped so we're testing the areas in question for data. We've had players on pub servers getting the same issues. I played on US-2 a few days ago and it was fine, at that time camps weren't built yet. People have had the time to get camps going and we're now experiencing issues. US-1 population has dropped massively and guessing why isn't difficult.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but Hicks did acknowledge during a PAX stream yesterday that there were some unforeseen issues afflicting private hives that never came up in their testing (and didn't come up in Experimental either). That doesn't fix the problem for you, but it should be encouraging to know they are aware of the issue and can get to work on it.

I'm sure they're working on it. But, I'm pretty sure they knew about this use because they've given renters the power to wipe the server for performance related issues. Up until then it was by request only, now the power is in the renters hands and imo its for a reason.

• Restore/Reset Persistence files

Unlimited

Can be done manually by customer via GSP (game server provider) control panel

Source: https://dayz.com/files/pdf/Server_Hosting_Rules_Private.pdf

Edited by Weyland Yutani

The lag has to do with camps and we've determined that the lag can and will happen within 500 metres of a camp. Depending on the size of the camp it could go out even further.

We've also determined that anything over 150 items; which includes player inventory items; the camp starts to lag within it's vicinity. We've tested this extensively on our hive and all the results have been the same. The more items you have at that camp, whether it be in barrels, v3s's or tents the vicinity around that camp will lag.

We have been telling people to spread the camps out and this has helped but it's only a bandaid and not a real fix.

This is an issue that needs a hotfix and shouldn't wait until .59. It's only going to get worse the longer it goes on.

The lag has to do with camps and we've determined that the lag can and will happen within 500 metres of a camp. Depending on the size of the camp it could go out even further.

We've also determined that anything over 150 items; which includes player inventory items; the camp starts to lag within it's vicinity. We've tested this extensively on our hive and all the results have been the same. The more items you have at that camp, whether it be in barrels, v3s's or tents the vicinity around that camp will lag.

We have been telling people to spread the camps out and this has helped but it's only a bandaid and not a real fix.

This is an issue that needs a hotfix and shouldn't wait until .59. It's only going to get worse the longer it goes on.

Thanks for the details R.Neville.

So does this mean that when my framerate drops down to the single digits, I should be going and shaking nearby trees to look for treasures?

• Like 1

So does this mean that when my framerate drops down to the single digits, I should be going and shaking nearby trees to look for treasures?

exactly this, run with open inventory and move your items...if it lags horrible, here we go, "jackpot"  :D

It's a bit of a drama queen OP. You cant expect it to be perfect, they have to keep rolling. They seem to have been going deeper into making stable more playable, and planning on doing the same with .59 and de-sync. After that it seems they're planning longer times between stable builds, which sounds good to me.

Though I'm not experiencing your problems :) and having no game breaking issues on high pop. Maybe you've had bad luck.

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

Update to this, we have had reports that containers inside containers as in, a hunters pack inside a barrel, tent or v3s's may also be the cause of this lag.

Testing this theory further.

have just been in a big camp on a high pop private hive. six tents, 10 barrels and some backpacks - all filled up with veggies, small arms and nicnac. While about six players being in that area absolutely no severe lagging in more than an hour.

didnt see any containers in containers.

greets

Well to be fair, they were wiping persistence like every week on EXP and I do remember a couple of post mentioning really bad interaction lag when around very large camps.  

• Like 1

You guys are insane, seriously. Mindlessly denying a bug that is REAL and having a REAL EFFECT on game play. 

Everyone go *Moo, Moo*, the Day-Z cattle being herded. 

This is getting worse. There are areas on certain servers (eg around Bashnya, where there are a lot of stashes because of the NWAF officer huts) where the game is essentially unplayable now.

It's not as if it's the kind of thing that makes you think: "Ah, I must be near a camp of some sort. I'll go on a hunt for it."

It's so bad that you just want to get out.

A dev talked about implementing better occlusion culling a few months ago. Can anyone back me up on this? 

Would this help with the problem that some people are describing, or are the items not rendered anyway because they are stored "invisible" inside of it's container?

Either way, occlusion culling seems like it would be more of an "optimization" task, and be saved for beta in 2016.

^ This

In between wipes, we built several camps with 8-10 tents and numerous barrels and we never experienced any lag issues in 0.58 Exp. This issue only reared its ugly head once it hit stable, so the devs definitely did not push the build forward, knowing that this issue was present.

Persistence was working surprisingly well to, with the exception of a few isolated instances of long guns unexpectedly disappearing.

A dev talked about implementing better occlusion culling a few months ago. Can anyone back me up on this? 

Would this help with the problem that some people are describing, or are the items not rendered anyway because they are stored "invisible" inside of it's container?

Either way, occlusion culling seems like it would be more of an "optimization" task, and be saved for beta in 2016.

Occlusion culling has been implemented in the new renderer. Based on an off-hand comment that Hicks made at PAX, it sounds like we'll see the renderer as well as some additional new tech relatively soon ... assuming that their inclusion doesn't break anything important.

You guys are insane, seriously. Mindlessly denying a bug that is REAL and having a REAL EFFECT on game play. 

Everyone go *Moo, Moo*, the Day-Z cattle being herded. 

Insane? Mindless? Cattle? Really?

Just because some are reporting that they haven't personally experienced this particular problem, neither in Exp, nor in stable, this somehow means that they are denying that the bug exists?

Why can't you accept that this issue either does not affect all servers, or that some servers may be disproportionally affected?

Take a tablet and stop being a drama queen.

• Like 1

The problem is persistence? The devs have stated DO NOT CREATE LARGE LOOT STASHES in one area. The PROBLEM is large camps and large loot stashes more than 2 containers in a small area (I'd say a minimum of 600 meters. I wouldn't even take a chance at "spacing them out" even in a small area. I'd put 2 down, and find another spot to create another loot camp.

Will the devs fix it? Maybe. Hopefully.

Sitting there calling persistence the problem? Hell no. Persistence is awesome. The only thing that I would say that would affect my feelings is if Weekly maintenance persistence wipes the servers. That would make creating loot stashes practically useless. Anyway.

We're finding this camp lag being very random at the moment. Camps will lag, then sometimes not.

It's seeming to be manageable so far, as long as you warn your community to manage their camps. If they don't want a persistence wipe, they'll hopefully do what they need to do to to prevent the lag from happening in the first place.

If a persistence wipe comes, well, it has to happen. I'm just hoping there's a fix in the pipe relatively soon, I'm not a big fan of having to wipe persistence.

Edited by R.Neville

iam speculating a bit with the following, but regarding exp hicks posted, that containers would be counted by the cle and i had the impression that loot got rarer the longer the servers werent reset.

i thought i saw a tweet at devtracker regarding stable, posting that containers wouldnt be counted by cle, as this would help the devs gathering better data. cant find that now...

but if it were true, it would theoretically lead to a unlimited growth of the servers amount of loot (loot table + in size and number growing camps). not much tech knowledge on my side, but if a servers total amount of items would affect its performance, it might explain the situation described, where servers are differently affected by performance problems, even if big camps are nearby.

highly frequented servers with a strongly hoarding community vs less frequented ones, eg whitelisted servers with a small but stable community.

greets

• Like 1