Sign in to follow this  
Shiva_O

Would you support global chat being a sever option?

that's why global text > global voice

Yeah,i agree with you!

Let's just hope the devs implement radios with separate text and voice functions.

Definitely not.  We shouldn't have our positions announced to the entire server when some kid dies and gets mad about it.

so you want to ban teamspeak, or do you only kill solo players ?

If we had text radio - you turn your radio off you don't see any text and nobody sees yours. We use no voice radio, just text. Don't carry a radio, you won't ever see any text.

So if you turn your radio on, you have a realistic advantage, you can see the text of other people using the radio - because those pocket radios can pick up text conversations from friend and enemy.

If the dude you killed is on TS - and there's a good chance he is because 3 of 4 players are on a TS3 channel - he will tell his mates exactly how to move in and where to trap you,

and you have NO WAY of knowing he's done that. He can even call them in from other servers, damn!

So in DayZ immersion, in the DayZ story, TS is like a hard scrambled undetectable universal military radio link....  now where do you find those things lying around in Chernarus ?

OK let those people on TS do their (unrealistic) military tech thing, I don't care.

But let us quiet folk - who sometimes want to communicate with someone else in the game, using game equipment - let us do it just in text, when we have a radio to send and see the text with.

It's a bit more realistic than TS isn't it ?

If you have a radio and you're dead, you cant even talk.

And you know TS players won't bother with radios anyway... they're not that interested in immersion, right ?

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

I would.

With no mic, and no friends, running across fields get's very lonely for me :(

Admins could have the ability to mute racist people, trolls etc.

I know it wont happen, but meh, i'd have it happily.

I posted a similar topic to this and it became beaten to a pulp,skinned,cooked in sum1s fireplace then raided and eaten...

I kinda see not having world chat being fine but I'd still like to see a whisper chat implemented in..maybe  /playername  then the message..i hate tabing over to steam everytime to chat with a friend even if it only take s a second but its annoying.....

&&&&& Que the What About TeamSpeak Bandits---Go

and I have teamspeak just don't use it all the time

I wouldn't mind a Global Text Chat, with the option to turn it off and/or mute/block people, because we all know it will be filled with trolls, ect.

• Like 1

Definitely support text global chat, i think the players or admins should have the option of disabling it, but i like the idea of being alone but knowing that there is stuff going on all over the map. but i don't give a rat's hat about immersion. plez don't hate

• Like 1

Just an example: I heard this today

A relative of my girlfriend had an operation for throat cancer - doing OK but may never get his voice back - perhaps later, perhaps never. For next few months he forbidden even to try.

He's recovering, he's playing online games mainly

so for him, no teamspeak no headset no voice chat

I know there must be MANY players for many reasons do not like to voice-talk online - or just can not -  maybe don't want you to hear the age of their voice, or their 'unusual' voice, or hear their  "strange accent", or they have a speech problem, or they stammer, or they don't want you to know they are male or female.. you can think of plenty of reasons. even some players are just mike-shy they get tongue tied, and plenty have real solid reasons.

I think this is fair to remember about chat - So if there is going to be chat in DayZ this is another good reason it should be text only.

xx

Myself - I'm not keen on voice-talking direct online, and I'm a person who has no problem talking in the street at all.. I just don't like it, but typing is fine. I'm mainly solo - One reason I dont do TS3 (apart from gameplay) is because I don't want voices in my ears when I'm concentrating - not ever - if I have to join a TS channel to play a server, I leave.  I want global text chat I can turn on or off. (so use the damn radio for global text-chat, that's a real in-game advantage)

So are we deciding a guy at home who has to stay quiet at night can't join in DayZ ? A dude in hospital cant join in ? A girl or a guy with a "funny" voice cant join in ? Someone with a strong "foreign" or "racial" accent who doesn't want to be hassled or insulted for an outsider cant join in DayZ? So are we saying some good kid who wears a brace can't join in DayZ?

That get's to be a lot of people we're pushing out of the game..

I guess I'm not the only one  who likes text better, or have problems or "disabilities" with voice, we must be thousands.

Edited by pilgrim

Global Text chat was fucking irritating and I don't get it. What the fuck is wrong with these people skype calling each other or use mumble or Team Speak??? If I ever meet anyone in DayZ and we start talking and it's obvious we're going to be together for a while, I insist they download TS lol and get on that. We had an Austrian guy with us for a while and I kept asking him to say "Get to the chopper!"

edit: The above post of course is the extreme and I am generalizing.

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 1

Global Text chat was fucking irritating and I don't get it. What the fuck is wrong with these people skype calling each other or use mumble or Team Speak??? If I ever meet anyone in DayZ and we start talking and it's obvious we're going to be together for a while, I insist they download TS lol and get on that. We had an Austrian guy with us for a while and I kept asking him to say "Get to the chopper!"

edit: The above post of course is the extreme and I am generalizing.

I don't mind players using TS if they want - even though it's completely totally unrealistic, and also there's no way to stop them. So let them play that if they want to, not my problem.

Jexter, is right about "irritating"

Global text chat is only any good IF

- you can turn it off

- you can block any players you don't want to hear, then they can't hear you either.

then for me it's cool.

To make global text more "realistic" I suggested using the radio as the only way to get access to text chat... then

- a lot less players will be able to use chat,

- having a radio will be a real advantage,

- loosing your radio will be a pisser,

- and the "casual fun" people and the TS players just wont bother with it anyway ..

So finding and owning a radio is like - it puts you up a grade in the experience and survival game stakes .. it's a "long term" thing for players, and its inside the "realistic" gameplay possibilities of DayZ - way more than TS (lol  way-way-way more).

Lots of non-TS players think TS is a rock-solid cheat, just a hack. Plenty of solo players hate those TS dudes, who (- totally in private, outside the game, just between them - ) know exactly where everyone is, set meet-up points, call up their friends even across servers, or call them in when there friends aren't even playing, or even from different damned games, to come and help nail you, or because they found a bunch of tents, or a good loot drop - all that kind of stuff.  But let TS players do what they like, that's their game.

One other point - if we want to be realistic and not be hassled by "knowing about other players" in-game - Then how come you can call up a LIST on your screen of the players logged on the server ? So you see exactly who they are and how many there are:

When people complain "empty server" they usually mean "the list only had 3 players on it" - To be realistic you should have no idea how many players are on your server.

Some servers don't even broadcast the number of players before you log in, but once you're in you know by looking.

100% unrealistic, right ?

but - YEah

- you can turn it off

- you can block any players you don't want to see their text, so they can't see yours either.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

I don't mind players using TS if they want - even though it's completely totally unrealistic, and also there's no way to stop them. So let them play that if they want to, not my problem.

Jexter, is right about "irritating"

- you can turn it off

- you can block any players you don't want to hear, then they can't hear you either.

then for me it's cool.

To make global text more "realistic" I suggested using the radio as the only way to get access to text chat... then

- a lot less players will be able to use chat,

- having a radio will be a real advantage,

- loosing your radio will be a pisser,

- and the "casual fun" people and the TS players just wont bother with it anyway ..

So finding and owning a radio is like - it puts you up a grade in the experience and survival game stakes .. it's a "long term" thing for players, and its inside the "realistic" gameplay possibilities of DayZ - way more than TS (lol  way-way-way more).

Lots of non-TS players think TS is a rock-solid cheat, just a hack. Plenty of solo players hate those TS dudes, who (- totally in private, outside the game, just between them - ) know exactly where everyone is, set meet-up points, call up their friends even across servers, or call them in when there friends aren't even playing, or even from different damned games, to come and help nail you, or because they found a bunch of tents, or a good loot drop - all that kind of stuff.  But let TS players do what they like, that's their game.

One other point - if we want to be realistic and not be hassled by "knowing about other players" in-game - Then how come you can call up a LIST on your screen of the players logged on the server ? So you see exactly who they are and how many there are:

When people complain "empty server" they usually mean "the list only had 3 players on it" - To be realistic you should have no idea how many players are on your server.

Some servers don't even broadcast the number of players before you log in, but once you're in you know by looking.

100% unrealistic, right ?

but - YEah

- you can turn it off

- you can block any players you don't want to see their text, so they can't see yours either.

xx

The radio makes sense too. Why bother putting it in the game if it's not going to serve a purpose and being able to send text messages would be cool if incorporated right - the messages could be displayed on the radio itself with a "beep" when u get one (which could be turned off).

I think we need to get away from the text chat in the corner which is entirely naff.

• Like 1

The radio makes sense too. Why bother putting it in the game if it's not going to serve a purpose and being able to send text messages would be cool if incorporated right - the messages could be displayed on the radio itself with a "beep" when u get one (which could be turned off).

I think we need to get away from the text chat in the corner which is entirely naff.

OK -  if you hold the radio up to look at it - that makes getting it inserted into the game more complicated for the programmers .. the corner text chat is already "in place" its just turned off (far as I understand)

but I hear what you're saying Jexter

• Like 1

YES - thought more about your idea overnight Jexter - a radio that you held up to your face (like a compass) and then you could see and write text chat "on the radio itself (like an LCD display 5 or 6 lines high) - that could be a damn good neat idea. It WOULD add a new thing to gameplay - and you would never use it unless you were somewhere pretty safe = more gameplay goodness - and maybe then you wouldn't have to block players, etc.. everyone could talk as long as they didn't flood (that's standard) - so anyone watching their radio could overhear - so you'd see 'crosschannel talk' you could overhear info breaking in, and risk giving info away - like real radio comms in an action situation.

Ya know I LIKE this idea.

My only worry was how long that would take to program into the game ?

But maybe not so long ?

It's still the player typing chat as it was, just much better placed and better integrated in the game - you must use the object, like any other game gear, instead of having stuff scrolling in the corner all the time and typing when you like - and you'd have to be careful how you used it, even when you had one. Like map reading in the Mod, or reading a book - ya cant do it in the street, it's dangerous, you get shot or eaten.

So - Hey, Good Idea

Edited by pilgrim

YES - thought more about your idea overnight Jexter - a radio that you held up to your face (like a compass) and then you could see and write text chat "on the radio itself (like an LCD display 5 or 6 lines high) - that could be a damn good neat idea. It WOULD add a new thing to gameplay - and you would never use it unless you were somewhere pretty safe = more gameplay goodness - and maybe then you wouldn't have to block players, etc.. everyone could talk as long as they didn't flood (that's standard) - so anyone watching their radio could overhear - so you'd see 'crosschannel talk' you could overhear info breaking in, and risk giving info away - like real radio comms in an action situation.

Ya know I LIKE this idea.

My only worry was how long that would take to program into the game ?

But maybe not so long ?

It's still the player typing chat as it was, just much better placed and better integrated in the game - you must use the object, like any other game gear, instead of having stuff scrolling in the corner all the time and typing when you like - and you'd have to be careful how you used it, even when you had one. Like map reading in the Mod, or reading a book - ya cant do it in the street, it's dangerous, you get shot or eaten.

So - Hey, Good Idea

Doesn't really matter how long it takes, does it? It could be a feature added at a later date perhaps though it would be cool and I'm pretty sure it's been done before. It's all about putting in the little touches that make a great game....legendary.

• Like 1