Sign in to follow this  
Santa fox

CPU Load/Temps during DayZ

As I have recently cleaned out my computer, and paid attention especially to my GPU/CPU, I have now noticed that my CPU temps love to jump very high during DayZ; Even if I simply start it. Going from 30 - 40c idle, to close to 80c just by launching DayZ, This does not happen in any other games, as far as I can tell, the highest it goes is around 60c, even in graphically demanding games. I do understand DayZ is a very CPU heavy game, but I think 80c is starting to kinda push it, though.

Has anyone else experienced a severe increase in CPU temps? Or is it just me? Have a feeling I might have to re-apply the thermal paste and re-adjust the heatsink all together.

Edited by Santa fox
  • Like 1

Has anyone else experienced a severe increase in CPU temps? Or is it just me? Have a feeling I might have to re-apply the thermal paste and re-adjust the heatsink all together.

Not as far as im aware with mine. You don't have other programs opened when your playing the game though do you?

Although i am looking forward to trying Windows 10 with Dayz when im able to download it. Iv heard performance increases with it.

I had it with my old PC and DayZ

It "fixed" itself when I reinserted the CPU and re-applied thermal paste.

Had to do it every 2-3 weeks and after like 6 months my old PC died.

• Like 1

I had it with my old PC and DayZ

It "fixed" itself when I reinserted the CPU and re-applied thermal paste.

Had to do it every 2-3 weeks and after like 6 months my old PC died.

Hmm.. well, it appears only DayZ does it, and no, I have no other programs running, only Steam and MSi Afterburner, as well as various misc programs that are natural for Windows and other neccesary programs to have running.

Just sitting at the main page of DayZ increases my CPU temps from 30 - 40 to 50, if I try to play it, it shoots up about 20 or 30c more.

Edited by Santa fox
  • Like 1

Well, considering you recently cleaned out your computer it's very possible that you have changed something about the compound of cooling unit and CPU.

Make sure you also check your CPU-Load. Your temperature alone tells us absolutely nothing, I'm afraid. If your CPU goes to 100% constant while loading up DayZ (which it does for me when I load GTA V, for example) this is something that is very normal.

It would also be important to know which brand your CPU is. AMD usually shuts down if over 65°C whilst Intel is perfectly fine sitting at 80 to 90°C for a prolonged time.

Well, considering you recently cleaned out your computer it's very possible that you have changed something about the compound of cooling unit and CPU.

Make sure you also check your CPU-Load. Your temperature alone tells us absolutely nothing, I'm afraid. If your CPU goes to 100% constant while loading up DayZ (which it does for me when I load GTA V, for example) this is something that is very normal.

It would also be important to know which brand your CPU is. AMD usually shuts down if over 65°C whilst Intel is perfectly fine sitting at 80 to 90°C for a prolonged time.

It is a I5-2500, though, as it does not really get stressed out as heavily by other, graphically demanding games such as BF4 and so forth, nor do I believe it gets quite as hot even when doing compiling for various programs, I am starting to doubt I have applied too much paste/seated it incorrectly.

Unfortunately I do not have the CPU load figures at the moment as I am playing another game, but I will be sure to grab them next time I hop on DayZ, which should be as soon as the Exp servers are up.

It is a I5-2500, though, as it does not really get stressed out as heavily by other, graphically demanding games such as BF4 and so forth, nor do I believe it gets quite as hot even when doing compiling for various programs, I am starting to doubt I have applied too much paste/seated it incorrectly.

For as long as you have a dedicated GPU and don't run your graphics off the integrated graphics unit on the CPU your CPU doesn't really care too much how demanding a game is, theoretically that is.

DayZ does tend to be more heavy on the CPU at times, which is why it's important to check what's going on.

Unfortunately I do not have the CPU load figures at the moment as I am playing another game, but I will be sure to grab them next time I hop on DayZ, which should be as soon as the Exp servers are up.

Temperature readings are almost entirely useless if you don't know how much stress is being put on the part at hand.

DayZ isn't increasing the temp of your CPU, it's putting your CPU under heavy load.  The increasing temp is merely a symptom or result of increased load.  As the game isn't fully optimized yet, and you're running on a 2nd Gen i5, this isn't totally surprising.  BF4 is a final build which is optimized for a broad range of hardware, which is most likely why you don't see the same results there.

CPU load is between 50 - 95%, it seems my GPU is also jumping quite heavily in load and temps, but only in DayZ.

CPU load is between 50 - 95%, it seems my GPU is also jumping quite heavily in load and temps, but only in DayZ.

If your GPU is not stressed in other games, you're doing something wrong.

If your GPU is not stressed in other games, you're doing something wrong.

I always max out any game I play, and I have yet to encounter one which, in my opinion, puts my real life equipment in any real danger, except DayZ. Which is why I asked, whether it is a common phenomenon, or if I have done something wrong; And as it appears, it is only DayZ doing this.

I always max out any game I play, and I have yet to encounter one which, in my opinion, puts my real life equipment in any real danger, except DayZ. Which is why I asked, whether it is a common phenomenon, or if I have done something wrong; And as it appears, it is only DayZ doing this.

What GPU are you rocking?

What GPU are you rocking?

Geforce GTX 580

Unfortunately it's a bit of an old rig, though, it still serves me beyond well.

Edited by Santa fox

80•C isn't even that hot for a 2500 under load. The 580 will be safe to 103•C, too.

Your components aren't in danger, bro. Take it from a guy who ran a 2600K at 5.2GHz from 3.4GHz stock for THREE YEARS. :)

Currently have my 5960X at 4.6GHz from 3.0GHz stock. Have fun.

• Like 2

80•C isn't even that hot for a 2500 under load. The 580 will be safe to 103•C, too.

Your components aren't in danger, bro. Take it from a guy who ran a 2600K at 5.2GHz from 3.4GHz stock for THREE YEARS. :)

Currently have my 5960X at 4.6GHz from 3.0GHz stock. Have fun.

Hmm.. alright, I know I used to have my CPU running at +90c when doing, more or less anything before I cleaned it out properly, nearly shat myself the instant I saw the temps in CPUiD, though, that's a few years ago.

Tinkered around with it a bit, and it seems to be around 70 - 80c now, which is a bit more acceptable. Just hope the temps go down once DayZ is pushed further along, I am really paranoid about running my hardware this hot, esp as I usually play DayZ for +5 hours at a time.

I didn't really read the whole thread; did you mention what CPU cooler you're using?

Kind of paradox :). For most ppl with average to high end CPUs, DayZ takes around 60% CPU usage.

At least thats what it is usually for me.

p.s.: in Crysis 3 or GTA 5 my cpu was always at 100% usage because its an old ivy bridge i5 @3,1 GHz

Edited by chrochtadlo

I didn't really read the whole thread; did you mention what CPU cooler you're using?

Stock cooler, after market paste.

jackpot, bingo...

getting some better cooler wont hurt imho :)

Edited by chrochtadlo
  • Like 1

Well, first of all, the stock cooler is literally a paper weight for the 25/6/7/00(K) processors. What aftermarket paste are you using? Most people recommend AS5, but I've never been a fan of it. It takes a week to fully cure, and is no better than most other pastes. I'd recommend using MX-4 as it cures within hours and performs better than AS5.

If you end up looking for a new CPU cooler, I'd recommend the Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme or Noctua NH-D14. I ran the Silver Arrow for three years cooling a 2600K running at 5.2GHz. That's pretty impressive for air cooling. Also, it didn't hurt that I lucked into a great chip. :D

Any of the new Corsair H series liquid cooling units are great, too. They also look better and take up less space (so you get better air flow through your case) than those massive air coolers. I'm currently using the Corsair H100i Extreme on my 5960X and all is well.

• Like 1

Well, first of all, the stock cooler is literally a paper weight for the 25/6/7/00(K) processors. What aftermarket paste are you using? Most people recommend AS5, but I've never been a fan of it. It takes a week to fully cure, and is no better than most other pastes. I'd recommend using MX-4 as it cures within hours and performs better than AS5.

If you end up looking for a new CPU cooler, I'd recommend the Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme or Noctua NH-D14. I ran the Silver Arrow for three years cooling a 2600K running at 5.2GHz. That's pretty impressive for air cooling. Also, it didn't hurt that I lucked into a great chip. :D

Any of the new Corsair H series liquid cooling units are great, too. They also look better and take up less space (so you get better air flow through your case) than those massive air coolers. I'm currently using the Corsair H100i Extreme on my 5960X and all is well.

MX-4 paste is used. I have been thinking about fetching an AM Cooler, but I figure at this point, it's better to upgrade the whole rig, than to put patches onto a dead horse and hope it makes it another mile. Though, I unfortunately don't have the cash for it this very day, and I just need my rig to make it another few months before I can start on a new one.

It just struck me as odd that DayZ, and DayZ alone, would push it so hard that it would reach 80 - 90c after just joining a server, but I will keep a AM Cooler in mind next time.

Afraid LC isn't quite in my thoughts at the moment, bit too complicated. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Edited by Santa fox

MX-4 paste is used. I have been thinking about fetching an AM Cooler, but I figure at this point, it's better to upgrade the whole rig, than to put patches onto a dead horse and hope it makes it another mile. Though, I unfortunately don't have the cash for it this very day, and I just need my rig to make it another few months before I can start on a new one.

It just struck me as odd that DayZ, and DayZ alone, would push it so hard that it would reach 80 - 90c after just joining a server, but I will keep a AM Cooler in mind next time.

Afraid LC isn't quite in my thoughts at the moment, bit too complicated. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Right on, good stuff! ♥

A couple of points:

1. Congratulations on using MX-4! If Jesus ever built a computer, it's what he'd use.
  2. Your i7-2500, if an unlocked "K" variant, has plenty of life left in it. Very few games benefit from hyper-threading, and the 2500 has been known to hit ridiculous speeds while maintaining stability. Hardware is so far ahead of software at this point that it's borderline hilarious. An aftermarket cooler and mild overclock would do wonders for your gaming experience. My old system (with the 2600K) didn't need to be upgraded at all; I just get an itch to build a new one every few years. The 2600K didn't bottleneck two GTX 980 Ti video cards running in SLI at all. If you even pushed the 2500 to 4.2GHz, you'd be good for at least another year.
  3. From a performance standpoint, DayZ is a very strange game. I wouldn't worry too much about hitting 80ºC while it's running. Your processor is perfectly fine at that temperature.
  4. Have you tried upping the settings? The GTX 580 (is it the 1.5GB or 3GB version?), while not a top-tier card, is certainly no slouch. It can handle DayZ quite well. If you bump your video settings up a bit and offload some stress from your processor onto your video card, that very well may help keep it running cooler.

I'd say get a cooler the stock ones aren't very good or reliable.

Also installing a closed loop liquid cooling cpu block was pretty easy for me, any difficulties with it was down to the smallness of my case rather than the system itself.

Edited by DoctorBadSign

Last time I took the time to note...

i5 2500 k, oc'd to 4.2 from 3.01 stock.
Idle 21°C - 28°C.
When running DayZ 60°C + or - (may vary depending on weather/room temperature).

Using an Arctic Freezer 13 CO (recommended).

When I ran my i7 2600K @ 4,4Ghz with stock cooler it ran between 80-100C. I was on those temps for like 1,5-2 years so those temps aren't really too bad. I'd still expect you to run bit lower temps unless you don't have much case cooling.