atempleton

CR527 + Hunting Scope - Worth It?

I never used the CR527 heavily in the past due to the rarity of the mags - but now that they are more common, is there any use in the gun with the hunting scope?

i dont like it - i prefer the winchester with the hunting scope. much better imo

agreed

the CR 527 is still a "meh" weapon :

- you need a magazine

- most of the time, you have a single magazine so you need to take back the magazine, put ammo back in and then reload after your 5 first shots. multiple mags make it a viable choice, not a great one

- sights are ok but inferior to blaze and winchester sights

- 7.62*39mm is not that powerfull for a slow bolt action rifle, can be stacked to 20 only. definitely inferior to the .308 in power (.308 can be stacked to 40)

- by the time you have a CR 527, a mag and spare ammo for it and a hunting scope, you'll probably find a winchester/blaze and multiple .308 ammo.

the CR 527 only make sense if weapon are hard to find, it's definitely a carabine to skip on 0.57

Edited by Zboub le météor
  • Like 1

Quoting myself from Reddit where almost this exact same question was asked:

The Winchester is just more lethal, period. That says nothing about other characteristics, but for that reason alone I prefer it. It's best with a hunting scope, but it also has arguably the best iron sights of any rifle in the game.

Add in the fact that it has an internal magazine, and that the ammunition is more common to begin with (at least in my recent experience), and it's a no-brainer.
Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

Hey, if you've got ammo for it... it's better than anything else you don't have or don't have ammo for. Unless you're going to shlep around on 0 pop servers looking for something better you're risking losing it, so might as well use it. Get em while they're hot!

agreed

the CR 527 is still a "meh" weapon :

- you need a magazine

- most of the time, you have a single magazine so you need to take back the magazine, put ammo back in and then reload after your 5 first shots. multiple mags make it a viable choice, not a great one

- sights are ok but inferior to blaze and winchester sights

- 7.62*39mm is not that powerfull for a slow bolt action rifle, can be stacked to 20 only. definitely inferior to the .308 in power (.308 can be stacked to 40)

- by the time you have a CR 527, a mag and spare ammo for it and a hunting scope, you'll probably find a winchester/blaze and multiple .308 ammo.

the CR 527 only make sense if weapon are hard to find, it's definitely a carabine to skip on 0.57

Wrong, CR 527 mags are much more common now.

Wrong, CR 527 mags are much more common now.

i know that cr527 mags are more common now. still, what is wrong with what i wrote ?

Edited by Zboub le météor

The other problem is the comparatively slower velocity of the 7.62x39mm round, making it a less suitable choice for hitting targets, particularly moving ones, at range. 

Hey so I was just using this.  There's a major problem in that every time you fire you're taken out of the scope, making it impossible to tell where your shot landed.  If you're in third person and scoped, it pops you to third.  If you're first person and scoped, it fucks up your camera something special and puts it under your body/contorts your player.

I tried relogging and also removing/replacing the scope and it didn't fix it.

So, between that and the crappy damage and velocity (for a "sniping" weapon) I don't think it's really worthwhile.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Cr527 just needs to be taken out of the game if it cant be improved upon somehow. By the time im finding one of those i usually have a better weapon anyways. Unless they increase the drop rate of the rifle and reduce the spawn rate of other types.

Theres really just no way to make this gun good at this point without giving it some really over the top advantage.

Cr527 just needs to be taken out of the game if it cant be improved upon somehow. By the time im finding one of those i usually have a better weapon anyways. Unless they increase the drop rate of the rifle and reduce the spawn rate of other types.

Theres really just no way to make this gun good at this point without giving it some really over the top advantage.

Remember, rarity of loot (especially primary weapons and military-grade loot) is not at all in it's final state. Chances are, once they refine the CLE in a few patches, you'll have trouble finding any gun, and if you come across the CR527 while bare handed, my guess is that you'll take it and use it.

Remember, rarity of loot (especially primary weapons and military-grade loot) is not at all in it's final state. Chances are, once they refine the CLE in a few patches, you'll have trouble finding any gun, and if you come across the CR527 while bare handed, my guess is that you'll take it and use it.

Well thats pretty much what i said for this i just didn't emphasize on it as much. And im not picky about what gun i get in the least im just bummed this weapon will be outclassed no matter what it does no matter the rarity of the weapon itself. Even if you do find it chances are your still going to be outclassed probably even by a pistol.

But them kills with CR527, total satisfaction.

Edit: without scope ofc.

Edited by BENEDICTUS

When they fix the scope issue it won't be thaaat bad.  I don't think all weapons need to be equal, there's gonna be ones that are clearly shit but that just makes using them and winning with them all the more fun.  DayZ pvp is as much about positioning and making use of what you got as the weapon itself, if not more so.  I think there's a point where weapons can be so bad they need to have their damage tweaked (see my sword thread/90% of melee weapons in general) but I don't think the cr527 is one of those.  If you get outclassed by a pistol with it, it means you got too close =P

I personally like trying the "crappy" weapons and trying to overcome the odds, it's that much more satisfying when you win.

Currently there is no reason to use te CR527 (or Izh 18) as it got on the shorter end of the current weapon balance and loot drops. The main point is 7.62x39mm rounds being classified as military ammunition. This means as an "early game weapon" you need the magazine not only to get the maximum amount of shots for your weapon but also to have any bullets at all. Now magazines seem to be notoriously rare compared to weapons or even ammo making it highly likely to find a superior gun with ammo before you are able to fire a single shot.

In terms of performance the CR527 offers little. It's a bolt action but only fires an intermediate round, only holds 5 shots even if you are lucky enough to find the magazine and despite being a carbine it's weight (thanks again magazine) and dexterity values are slightly worse than those of the Winchester 70. Now that it can mount the hunting scope it got a bump in viability but all the other options are still far better and it lacks a particular niche.

Can it be made viable. Of course it can. There are multiple options:

• Make guns much rarer so players are happy with finding a low tier choice instead of ditching it as they swiftly get a better gun anyways.
  • Allow 7.62x39mm rounds to spawn in civilian or hunting locations (also reduce the AKMs accuracy and fix server hopping).
  • Give it a higher dexterity rating because of it's shorter length.
  • Introduce a weapon length effect (similar to Insurgency) that gives shorter weapons an advantage in close quarters.
  • Make it more common than competing hunting rifles (Winchester 70, Mosin).
  • Change scope zeroing to a fixed elevation with the Hunting Scope being calibrated for the CR527 by default.
Edited by Evil Minion

I think the cr527 carbine is a good weapon.

Maybe it has a smaller range than the winchester, but if your a mid range sniper or as long as you hit your target you will get some kills.

Its very good that they want to have a lot off different weapons, some are better than others maybe, but still its more realistic with all kinds off weapons.

Anyway your skills are more important than the gun. you can have the best gear in the game and get killed by a 22 caliber pistol.

Hey so I was just using this.  There's a major problem in that every time you fire you're taken out of the scope, making it impossible to tell where your shot landed.  If you're in third person and scoped, it pops you to third.  If you're first person and scoped, it fucks up your camera something special and puts it under your body/contorts your player.

I tried relogging and also removing/replacing the scope and it didn't fix it.

So, between that and the crappy damage and velocity (for a "sniping" weapon) I don't think it's really worthwhile.

This is exactly what I was gonna say.  I've spent a lot fo time with hunting scopes on the Blaze, Winchester, CR, and Sporter.  All but the CR are good to go (the recoil on the Winchester always pops your view up and right a bit - but with practice, you'll be back on target in a split second), but that reload animation on the CR taking you out of scope view is painful.