Wookieenoob

the problem with dayz: not dank enough

-snip-

Due to the "zombies" actually being alive, we can safely assume that they are, in fact, eating, drinking, and sleeping. Just "off screen", as it were. We don't see them (though it is eminently possible with future builds) due to game limitations.

Remember, they don't have "higher brain functions", but this doesn't mean they are stupid. Think of them like humanoid animals. Animals drink, eat and sleep, many times without you seeing them. Does this mean they don't do these things?

No. They just don't so them where they "live", just like many real-life animals. Many animals have different spots for eating, drinking, sleeping, and pooping. They might actually be smarter than many humans in this respect. At least deer don't shit in the same water they drink.

they should improve jumping and stick it on spacebar, as well as just sticking action key on F rather than on the mousewheel by default.

then dayz would feel like a wider variety of games that aren't ARMA

F is action by default, you do know that you don't need to scrollwheel every time you open a door, right? Just press F.

I do like the idea of moving jumping to the spacebar. I would think I could bind the spacebar to the jumping mechanic. If it's not available in the controls now I hope it's added. I also think the mouse wheel is an awkward action button. I can't tell you how many times I've had difficulty using the mouse wheel to scroll and select and another action occurs instead because of a slight movement of my thumb. Again, here I'd like the player be given the choice of what key to bind action to.

that is allready present? check the controls?

i changed my use button to F, my sprint on spacebar, walking to shift, 3pp/1pp to T, toggle raise weapon is on a mous button and weirdly enough i can't get an unknown binding away from my H key (puts item out of hands)

my biggest gripe about zombies- even beyond  what you mention, WATER! Human bodies whether zombie or infected or whatever do not work without water. You've got maybe 1 week without fluids. After that cells just don't work. There's no way a body is going to run after not having a drink of something after a week. dessicated cells ain't gonna do their thing. No virus is gonna get around basic cellular biology.

So unless these infected are popping cans of kvas on the DL, the whole discussion is just silly.

any discussion about zombie realism is pretty stupid, agreed, no matter how "undead" something is, without breathing, there won't be oxygen travelling to your muscles, no reaction would happen and they would not move at all and be very weak if they do... this is why i always laugh when i see some chopped off head in walking dead trying to bite people xD

• Like 1

any discussion about zombie realism is pretty stupid, agreed, no matter how "undead" something is, without breathing, there won't be oxygen travelling to your muscles, no reaction would happen and they would not move at all and be very weak if they do... this is why i always laugh when i see some chopped off head in walking dead trying to bite people xD

The "zombies" in DayZ are not undead, just very sick people. AKA the "infected".

So my guess is that they drink water. Or maybe human and animal blood is enough to quench their thirst. What they eat is pretty clear.

The "zombies" in DayZ are not undead, just very sick people. AKA the "infected".

So my guess is that they drink water. Or maybe human and animal blood is enough to quench their thirst. What they eat is pretty clear.

my post didn't mention anything about DayZs infected

..//..

I can't tell you how many times I've had difficulty using the mouse wheel to scroll and select and another action occurs instead because of a slight movement of my thumb.

..//..

you use your thumb on the  mouse wheel ?

roflmao

wow - can you face the screen at the same time ?

xx

Yo do realise the game atmostphere is set up just a few days/weeks after the zombie outbreak right? Things take a while to rust.

Than there should be dead bodies everywhere, fresh gun bullets in more than a couple of key places. Ruined buildings , etc. If its not years like flora and fauna reclaiming areas than i would expect it to look almost EXACTLY like some of Detroit's worst areas. Minus the dead bodies everywhere in Detroit..... XD

Edited by Deathlove

Due to the "zombies" actually being alive, we can safely assume that they are, in fact, eating, drinking, and sleeping. Just "off screen", as it were. We don't see them (though it is eminently possible with future builds) due to game limitations.

Remember, they don't have "higher brain functions", but this doesn't mean they are stupid. Think of them like humanoid animals. Animals drink, eat and sleep, many times without you seeing them. Does this mean they don't do these things?

No. They just don't so them where they "live", just like many real-life animals. Many animals have different spots for eating, drinking, sleeping, and pooping. They might actually be smarter than many humans in this respect. At least deer don't shit in the same water they drink.

Would be nice if the developers actually managed to nail down animations for these types of behaviors for the infected and incorporated it to the AI. So you would see infected making there way to ponds and streams when they are thirsty. After chasing down an animal and killing it they start to feast on it, etc. I know the engine is not 100% functional yet but im hoping the infected get a radical overhaul in habits to function more like animals with wants and needs at least.

In fact i would HOPE they make some infected hunt in much larger numbers together like you would see with wolf packs and what not. Its just to easy hunting and avoiding them individually at the moment.

they should improve jumping and stick it on spacebar,

..//..

hey that's traditional

isn't that like.. Tomb Raider ?

You can set up your keyboard pretty much how you like - but you also have to think what you would move off a key in order to put something else on there

Then set your layout to suit your playstyle

xx

I am on the same boat , vaulting is perfectly fine for the games use.

Besides only an idiot would jump over and around stuff when they are as heavily burdened down with gear in a survival situation.

Jumping with everything you own and need to survive on you is asking for a broken ankle.

I'm fine with jumping how it is, but with that logic there should be no reason why fresh spawns or lightly geared players shouldn't be able to jump.

These are virus created "rage zombies" that are living, not undead "risen from the grave" zombies that require headshots to kill.

They are "the infected", we are the immune.

Are we?  Because the way most players act, I feel like we are the ones infected with the "Trixie" virus from The Crazies that makes people act like raving (but still functional) psychopaths. 

ive been wondering this as well, but more along the lines of what is the timeline. i think what you are thinking of is how long after the apocalypse are you playing in. such as one week? one month? a year? 10 years? i get the feeling its somewhere between one and several months, possibly one year after an outbreak. 

they removed a jail from NWAF and reduced it to rubble. plus there are plenty of piles of refuse in the tent citys of the military bases. i believe they are working on the devastation situation. 

-snip-

gasoline, in the best of circumstances (stored away from light and air, with a "fuel stabilizer" added) will last for, at most, two years or so (at least, that is when it is recommended you get rid of it around where I live. It probably degrades before then). So, the fact that we can still drive around on the gasoline we find left in gas-stations around the map suggests that two years is the MAXIMUM it has been since society shat the bed.

The Epi-pens also have an expiration date of "2015" (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213782-any-of-you-guys-wonder-what-time-period-dayz-is-in/page-2). Epi-pens, depending on the manufacturer, can last anywhere between 8 months to 24 months.

Medications also lose effectiveness over time. The fact that medications still work suggest it hasn't been decades, or even too many years, so long as the medications were kept cool and away from light.

The destroyed buildings and cars could be from the ARMA II civil war, or, more likely, the giant shitshow that happened during and after the actual outbreak. It probably wasn't "BAM ZOMBIES LOL". More like "weeks of social breakdown and destruction and guerrilla warfare."

• Like 1