Bsur

dark nights, when?

OK but you have already stated that you're going to make the game how you want so why do you care about those who complain about how dark it gets.  To me it seems you're backing down on your original statement.

I can't stop you from reading things between the lines that don't exist. You said it, not I.

I can't stop you from reading things between the lines that don't exist. You said it, not I.

"As long as we  make the game we set out to make, and are true to *that*, it does not matter if only 10 people end up playing DayZ"

Those are your words, not mine.  To me removing the difficulty aspect of night time is appeasing to a crowd and not you creating what you want.

• Like 3

Inherently we run into one major issue on this subject: Consumers seem to be split down the middle.

One half says its too dark, the other - too light.

Ok fair enough Hicks so....

Regardless of the nights getting darker or staying the way it is or even brighter, can you guys at least put everybody on the same level playing field regarding fairness??? I'm specifically talking about the gamma/brightness "issue".

thanks

I sometimes adjust the gamma, not to adjust for an advantage (I'm not a PVPer) but because my PC desk is next to the patio and sun shines in, even through the curtains and you can't see naff all apart from black and the dust on my monitor. I used to have a nice dark computer room, but then we had kid #2 lol

• Like 1

I agree the the night in SA are a tad to bright, but I don't want the darkness of the mod back. When moving in the dark we don't have a sense of touch as IRL. Once, in the mod, I thought I was crawling out of a zombie-infested town, but in reality i was crawling into a fence for 5 min :)

• Like 2

Where exactly does it say "Not using in game chat" is an exploit? If you want to try to turn this around then so be it but do it properly.

Notice how it didn't come back? Funny how that works.

I personally think the brightness as it sits is to dark.

Now under the assumption that this is world wide. The brightness from the moon that is up in game along with the amount of stars in game should make it barely visible. In the normal default settings it's pitch black for me. It's to much for the amount of light in the sky IMO

I sometimes adjust the gamma, not to adjust for an advantage (I'm not a PVPer) but because my PC desk is next to the patio and sun shines in, even through the curtains and you can't see naff all apart from black and the dust on my monitor. I used to have a nice dark computer room, but then we had kid #2 lol

I feel your pain about losing space to a baby.

I'm pretty happy with night as it is now. I also don't touch the gamma, you're just ruining the game for yourself that way and as such the only change I'd make to the night is to make it so that gamma cheating isn't effective. Sometimes as it is, I still want a light or a light is simply useful but it's not absolutely necessary. Now, if it could happen that interiors become darker at night, that would be awesome.

I would like to see it be very dark at the beginning of the night but have the gamma slowly rise as your eyes adjust to the darkness. Not to the extent you can now ofcourse.

This would give opportunities for varying degrees of visibility throughout a session. When being exposed to flashlights/streetlights (electricity in the future?) you would lose this gained visibility due to your eyes adjusting.

**The addition of red light flashlights could be added to lessen that effect and allow you to better maintain your *night vision'

Edited by 8bit_Survivor
  • Like 4

I would like to see it be very dark at the beginning of the night but have the gamma slowly rise as your eyes adjust to the darkness. Not to the extent you can now ofcourse.

This would give opportunities for varying degrees of visibility throughout a session. When being exposed to flashlights/streetlights (electricity in the future?) you would lose this gained visibility due to your eyes adjusting.

**The addition of red light flashlights could be added to lessen that effect and allow you to better maintain your *night vision'

This is badass ^^^ if this were the case I would rock it.

The whole discussion concerning the correct amount of darkness at night seems kinda pointless as long as the gamma exploit is still an option.

• Like 4

Inherently we run into one major issue on this subject: Consumers seem to be split down the middle.

I say ignore it and worry yourself with more important things 

I am sure its easy enough to say consumers are split and that is good forum PR 

what does the actual data suggest about daylight servers being played as opposed to night servers ?

I am sure the amount of night time servers being played will be almost none existent unless night is forced 

Let the guys setting the servers choose i am sure the night time diehards will find there niche 

• Like 1

I wonder how they will ever manage to balance the gamma-buffing exploits with people's different equipment and ambient lighting situations.  I undestand the need for a bit of adjustment, but is it even possible to reduce the amount of adjustment enough to not be exploitable, while leaving enough adjustment to not leave people unable to play at night?

If it matters, I am a forced night advocate.  I believe in playing the whole game, not just the easy parts.  Of course it is a sandbox, but it is to be filled with a ceratin amount of a certain kind of sand; the gritty kind, and lots of it.  FFS, even mario games use darkness to add difficulty.  Turning off night cycles makes about as much sense as turning off trees and bushes--which some people might actually want for (EZ PvP) whatever reason.

I really don't like this experimental day night stuff hope this isn't final. Though I also didn't like the 24/7 day I felt it should just be natrual based on were the server is based.

well how about making it random? sometimes nights could be pitch black, other times lighter, like they currently are. maybe have 5 different stages of darkness and randomize them.

regarding the gamma comments: turning gamma up is not an option for anyone willing to play legit. you dont dupe because it "gives you and advantage" either, do you?

even tho i prefer them over the days, the current nights are not dark enough for my tastes. forcing people to use lights would make for amazing gameplay, also making nightvision spawn in northern locations would drive alot of people away from the coast.

"As long as we  make the game we set out to make, and are true to *that*, it does not matter if only 10 people end up playing DayZ"

Those are your words, not mine.  To me removing the difficulty aspect of night time is appeasing to a crowd and not you creating what you want.

Again - the key words being here - "To me" (you)

As well, no one said anything about "removing the difficulty aspect" of night time play. I said we have folks on both sides of the fence when it comes to darkness.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but is not the night and therefore the weather dependant on server/mission time set ?
So if a server sets to real time (4/5/15 for example) should we not expect full moon and reasonable weather conditions, while on the 18th we should expect a near moonless and dark night ?

Same for autumn / winter, long cold nights and perhaps poor weather, moonless or not depending on date.

At a later stage in development I'm hoping this will this be how it works, keeping in mind that server admins need to adjust time to suite player needs.

I'm not sure what date/time is being used at this time, btw.

• Like 4

regarding the gamma comments: turning gamma up is not an option for anyone willing to play legit. you dont dupe because it "gives you and advantage" either, do you?

No, but 99% of all players playing at night will have turned gamma up. This means I will be in a position where all other players I encounter have an advantage over me. This fact has long since stopped me from playing night servers (except when it occasionally is night time on exp), even though I would very much like to play nighttime.

No, but 99% of all players playing at night will have turned gamma up. This means I will be in a position where all other players I encounter have an advantage over me. This fact has long since stopped me from playing night servers (except when it occasionally is night time on exp), even though I would very much like to play nighttime.

personally i don't give a fcuk about others.......because the night is dark and full of terrors ;)

People who higher the gamma should play on 24/7 daytime servers. I really don't get why they play on night servers.

• Like 2

personally i don't give a fcuk about others.......because the night is dark and full of terrors ;)

People who higher the gamma should play on 24/7 daytime servers. I really don't get why they play on night servers.

I would bet they play on them for loot. Not least the loot of players who don't use gamma exploit.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is not the night and therefore the weather dependant on server/mission time set ?

So if a server sets to real time (4/5/15 for example) should we not expect full moon and reasonable weather conditions, while on the 18th we should expect a near moonless and dark night ?

Same for autumn / winter, long cold nights and perhaps poor weather, moonless or not depending on date.

At a later stage in development I'm hoping this will this be how it works, keeping in mind that server admins need to adjust time to suite player needs.

This is how I thought it would work too. I have no idea if servers have this option now or ever will, but makes the most sense.

Is persistent "time" planned? By this I mean, when sever restarts time continues where it left off.

No, but 99% of all players playing at night will have turned gamma up.

Where do you get these numbers?

Where do you get these numbers?

78% of all statistics are made up. Shit, 85% of people know that.

• Like 4

If server admin have control of this I think they will just keep it at Summer months for long days less rain. I don't think they should have control over whether or time. These aspects are very important to the core of what DayZ is, right?

Or do I not fully grasp the goal of DayZ...-harsh- survival?

Yeah, I think the 1.0 should have some kind of calendar cycle. During that cycle you play through all the environmental changes. Lunar cycle, temp., 18 hour day (so every 3 days a server has night at different time).

The Z stands for zero, the game should have calendar tie in.

This could all be successfully marketed on steam, btw. Plus, with the CLE it can be slowly tweaked to have less loot as the cycle moves along. All fruit gone by end of cycle, follow me?

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

Dark or not so dark night - whatever it will be if/when they decide to focus on this problem it should be SAME FOR ALL with no room to alter it from the player side. No one wants to be in a situation where another has the advantage due to "thermal cheats".

Currently there's no use for flashlights or flares. Feels like if the night isn't working that means half the "day" in game isn't working.

But well, in a sense this aspect is ruined by the wicked human nature. Even if devs make it work somehow none would dare to use lights in public servers. Dark night --> need to use lights --> lights attracts pvp campers like moths. See a light, shoot it, see a light, shoot it... so it comes down to eliminating the possibility to alter setting in order to gain an advantage rather than making it a working gameplay element. In the wasteland no one hears your death cry, not even the sniper that shot you.