Bsur

dark nights, when?

when will there finally be dark nights again? my best PvP memories from the mod happened during night times, in the standalone there is absolutely no use for lights yet. obviously night vision should also be included when dark nights make a return.

dark night times, unlike the current ones offer much more playground and space for creativity and should be a major part of dayz gameplay.

Edited by Bsur

nights are dark if you leave your gamma alone.

Are they?

Last time i played,night was a bright shade of grey,contrary to the mod's pitch black nights.

Lol I use my thermals.

What I mean by that is a quick adjustment on the brightness/gamma and boom. Thermals.

Any purist that says it's cheap/lame/cheating

Well, you play your way and I'll play mine. Handicapping yourself for no reason is stupid. Thad be like going out on mission and purposely leaving the batteries for your NODs.

If you have it. Use it.

Edited by ASTINvlogs

Just to be clear, to handicap ones self is to put in place an impediment.

Playing the game unadulterated is not a handicap...

By your reasoning you're handicapped just for being born, and your 'vanilla' version is inherently flawed.  Just applying logic ;)

Haven't played in a while, but DayZ nights are pitch black last time I was in, but AUS servers are mostly 24/7 daylight, unless you want to spend your time on a 3/40 server 1pp/HC... :'(

May be a server configuration.  Most of the servers I've been on that weren't 24/7 blazing Russian summer had a dusk/dawn start/restart but never ticked over to night.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 4

I also adjust gamma to full when it's night... Because you know the person scoping at you camping in a tree has done also. I would like to see this non existent and have proper dark nights where lights etc are essential but hey ho. Beggars can't be choosers!

Just to be clear, to handicap ones self is to put in place an impediment. ( Not being able to see at night is a handicap. )

Playing the game unadulterated is not a handicap... ( No night vision puts you at a disadvantage so yes it is )

By your reasoning you're handicapped just for being born, and your 'vanilla' version is inherently flawed.  Just applying logic ;) ( Yeah, you are right. Humans do not have integral nightvision but we're intellegent enough to develop them to fix the 'handicap' hence the development of them.  That is why I own a solid set of AN/PVS 7Bravos )----- ( Yes you can use google and yes they're expensive but having used them in the Army I know the difference between seeing in the night and not. I'll stick with NODs thanks )

Haven't played in a while, but DayZ nights are pitch black last time I was in, but AUS servers are mostly 24/7 daylight, unless you want to spend your time on a 3/40 server 1pp/HC... :'(

May be a server configuration.  Most of the servers I've been on that weren't 24/7 blazing Russian summer had a dusk/dawn start/restart but never ticked over to night.

Edited by ASTINvlogs

You can also set HDR to Low rather than messing with gamma. It helps a lot, in my opinion. Since I switched HDR to Low, I haven't touched my gamma setting whether it is day or night.

Inherently we run into one major issue on this subject: Consumers seem to be split down the middle.

One half says its too dark, the other - too light.

• Like 6

Inherently we run into one major issue on this subject: Consumers seem to be split down the middle.

I find it too in the middle

• Like 5

For what it's worth, I actually think it's perfect right where it is. As I said above, I turned on HDR and have my gamma and brightness set to default. I can see just fine at night and I don't have to keep messing with settings. I'm wondering if people are just not aware of the impact HDR has on visibility.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

I play on a time accelerated server and the night lasts about 50 minutes or so.  In the middle of it, really dark!  But the length of the night on these servers makes it playable.  If I was stuck in the dark for hours and hours always in the timezone I play in, it would be difficult to play at all.

Lol I use my thermals.

What I mean by that is a quick adjustment on the brightness/gamma and boom. Thermals.

Any purist that says it's cheap/lame/cheating

Well, you play your way and I'll play mine. Handicapping yourself for no reason is stupid. Thad be like going out on mission and purposely leaving the batteries for your NODs.

If you have it. Use it.

Well if my memory serves me correctly, the DEVs have said that they will sort out the gamma "exploit" as soon as they can. So technically it is cheating. Now the last time I checked the definition of cheating is to gain an unfair advantage by doing/changing something that wasn't intended or using something in a way that was not intended. So yeah it's cheating and not a "play style" nor leaving yourself handicapped if you don't. It's actually playing honestly.

@OP Day/night cycle will be more apparent when they fix the light clipping through walls/buildings and the exploit I just mentioned.

Edited by RagedDrew
  • Like 1

Well if my memory serves me correctly, the DEVs have said that they will sort out the gamma "exploit" as soon as they can. So technically it is cheating. Now the last time I checked the definition of cheating is to gain an unfair advantage by doing/changing something that wasn't intended or using something in a way that was not intended. So yeah it's cheating and not a "play style" nor leaving yourself handicapped if you don't. It's actually playing honestly.

Well, when they fix it I'll stop doing it. I'm pretty sure they have I dunno another two years of trying to get the Zs to stop clipping through walls to worry about before they fix this " exploit "

Lol you're probably one of those 24/7 Day players because they're to good to use this " exploit "

I bet you only use in game chat too.

No team speak or steam chat for you. I'm sure of it.

Good thing my name isn't connected to my steam Id you'd have me banned for " cheating "

Hypocritical isn't it?

Edited by ASTINvlogs

Well, when they fix it I'll stop doing it. I'm pretty sure they have I dunno another two years of trying to get the Zs to stop clipping through walls to worry about before they fix this " exploit "

Lol you're probably one of those 24/7 Day players because they're to good to use this " exploit "

Good thing my name isn't connected to my steam Id you'd have me banned for " cheating "

Hypocritical isn't it?

Regardless of how long it takes for them to fix what ever, the facts still remain.

Um... As for your questions, or assumptions.

Nope - If I play on a night server I keep my gamma at the default settings and use my flashlights

Nope - I use TS

Why would I have you banned?

I'm not sure what you are saying is hypocritical, nor do I understand the reasons why you feel the need to try to start something here.

If you can't play a game the way it was intended then I feel sorry for you. As I do with anyone who needs to cheat at something, I mean it's a game, it's not really that hard.

Regardless of how long it takes for them to fix what ever, the facts still remain.

Um... As for your questions, or assumptions.

Nope - If I play on a night server I keep my gamma at the default settings and use my flashlights

Nope - I use TS

Why would I have you banned?

I'm not sure what you are saying is hypocritical, nor do I understand the reasons why you feel the need to try to start something here.

If you can't play a game the way it was intended then I feel sorry for you. As I do with anyone who needs to cheat at something, I mean it's a game, it's not really that hard.

" Nope - I use TS "

" If you can't play a game the way it was intended I feel sorry for you. As I do with anyone who needs to cheat at something, I mean it's a game, it's not really that hard. "

The game has an ingame chat does it not?

Why don't you use it instead of TS?

Man, if you can't use the game features like it is intended I feel sorry for you. Sarcasm

Nice contradiction on yourself there bud.

Hypocritical is the only way to explain this.

Your voice chat system of choice is skirting the game same as me. No way around it.

Edited by ASTINvlogs
  • Like 2

" Nope - I use TS "

" If you can't play a game the way it was intended I feel sorry for you. As I do with anyone who needs to cheat at something, I mean it's a game, it's not really that hard. "

The game has an ingame chat does it not?

Why don't you use it instead of TS?

Man, if you can't use the game features like it is intended I feel sorry for you. Sarcasm

Nice contradiction on yourself there bud.

Hypocritical is the only way to explain this.

Your voice chat system of choice is skirting the game same as me. No way around it.

Where exactly does it say "Not using in game chat" is an exploit? If you want to try to turn this around then so be it but do it properly.

Where exactly does it say "Not using in game chat" is an exploit? If you want to try to turn this around then so be it but do it properly.

Are you really that thick?

So, because the devs didn't say it was an " exploit " you think it's any different?

Look I'll break it down for you.

The game has a chat system.

You use teamspeak, not the in game chat system.

you work your way around a system that doesn't fit your build.

I adjust settings that mind you are within the game not something downloaded and not in game. ( teamspeak if I lost you by now )

I work around a system that doesn't fit my build.

It's the same shit, you communicate with your friends in a seperate system. That's exploiting a games fault even if you don't want to admit it.

Who cares if the devs don't mention the fact that you can or can't do it. It's not the point you still work around a system that you don't like while casting judgment on someone who basically does the same exact thing with a seperate set of settings. It's hypocritical.

Edited by ASTINvlogs

I also look forward to the day when the option for 24/7 day is gone. I do also change my gamma setting, only slightly, to offset the light glare I have on my monitor. I'm not cranking it up all the way though. I really like the accelerated time servers but outside of private servers it's tough to find any with decent pop.

Surprisingly I am one of the 'purists' that Astinvlogs mentioned. By that I mean I only use in game chat. I feel 3rd party comms is more of a cheat/exploit than gamma setting.

Gamma Settings are an option given to you by the devs. Most likely because they haven't quite figured out how to best represent night time (+new renderer soon)

DayZ gives you options for communication including long range(walkie talkie). Any communication in Day Z should come at the price of being heard by those around you. 3rd party comms eliminate this and allow you to speak with allies even after death.

• Like 1

Alright guys, knock off the fighting. You can express your opinions without insulting each other.

• Like 3

With 1.0, will there be some way to set the date, which will set lunar cycle and night light level?

I'm split down the middle, I like both. I would love it if servers could set a 7 day cycle, each day you might play in a slightly different environment. The last day be prepared for total darkness, with chem lights and lamps

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

Hypocritical isn't it?

they can't ban your account for duping gear either, because you're exploiting the game, not using external cheats.

i don't like playing in the dark because its annoying more than anything... so i don't. nor do i fault users for using the gamma to see. I'd be willing to bet that 80% of players use the gamma exploit if they play in night servers.

OK but you have already stated that you're going to make the game how you want so why do you care about those who complain about how dark it gets.  To me it seems you're backing down on your original statement.

• Like 1