ColdAtrophy

DayZ is the greatest game ever made

Can you make leather outfits out of animal hide in 7 days to die , or project zomboid ?Can you even hunt in those games ?

Yes you can. Go play the game before you start saying no you can't lol.

As an aside, does anybody else play TLD?

Allot of the times when im not playing Dayz or H1Z1

Nah.. GoatZ is out... I mean.. its dayz.. with goats!

• Like 1

As an aside, does anybody else play TLD?

I really like it, but somethings I just don't get. Time moves along at minute a second, and everything skips time to do, that's fine, but why not have time move much slower? Feels like too much of a race when daylight is burning. Plus there is no multi tasking, so I cant melt snow while cooking meat or sew, or do anything? With that said, it's great, but I'm not playing too much so the in story mode I don't know the map too much.

I really like it, but somethings I just don't get. Time moves along at minute a second, and everything skips time to do, that's fine, but why not have time move much slower? Feels like too much of a race when daylight is burning. Plus there is no multi tasking, so I cant melt snow while cooking meat or sew, or do anything? With that said, it's great, but I'm not playing too much so the in story mode I don't know the map too much.

Its still an early access game so there is plenty of time for ppl to voice there concerns to the developers over those issues and for them to get it fixed.

DayZ is a fun game! I invested over 600 hours into it (most of that time spent auto-running around the map). But I also have 1000 hours in SFIV, 1200 hours in BF 3/4, 400 hours in BF:BC2, hundreds of hours in MW2/CS 1.6/CS:GO, etc.

How is it even possible to make an objective argument for DayZ to be greatest ever? I'm pretty sure games have to be finished to be considered for that title... Methinks OP be trollin'...

DayZ is a fun game! I invested over 600 hours into it (most of that time spent auto-running around the map). But I also have 1000 hours in SFIV, 1200 hours in BF 3/4, 400 hours in BF:BC2, hundreds of hours in MW2/CS 1.6/CS:GO, etc.

How is it even possible to make an objective argument for DayZ to be greatest ever? I'm pretty sure games have to be finished to be considered for that title... Methinks OP be trollin'...

I wasn't trolling. I was drunk. However, if you read the qualifier in the OP, then you will see that I am actually referring to the potential that the game has.

• Like 1

Lol then go play h1z1.

I can't stand H1Z1... I haven't purchased and don't ever plan too

Players leave "in droves" after many different patches , not just this one.. besides that they will return because all of their reasons for leaving are bugs being addressed , it will only take a matter of time .

That's not what the stats say. You are right though the will retrun... when the modding tools are released.

That's not what the stats say. You are right though the will retrun... when the modding tools are released.

I plan on sticking with that game like i stick with this one.

Modding is pretty much just icing on the cake though. Unless were talking about modding an entirely new game within the game.

Great potential? Yeah.

Great game? Hell nah.

It might get there, eventually, maybe.

• Like 1

Great potential? Yeah.

Great game? Hell nah.

It might get there, eventually, maybe.

I have to admit, despite the general negativity, that I do find this game, even in its current state, to be phenomenal. I absolutely love it. I see the flaws, to be sure, but I have been waiting about 10 years for games to finally begin to do what this game aims to do. To me, immersion is EVERYTHING and this game provides that at a level that I can't say I've ever seen before. I've also never genuinely had even the barest whisper of fear with regard to dying in a video game until this one. Say what you will about the current alpha state, but I don't think anyone can honestly deny that this game is in many ways a groundbreaking endeavor. 

• Like 3

-snip-

Tha'st a lot of point, shoot, die, rinse, repeat.

I'll never understand how people can play FPS's so much.

Last time I played a popular FPS I played Crysis and lost interest before clearing it.

I came to DayZ because it transcended genres and was everything those games weren't.

Since Doom the FPS games have proven themselves to be the least creative or challenging games to play and almost nothing truly new or innovative has come out of the genre in a very long time (unless you count that the genre pushes graphical quality, which is technical not creative).

Edited by BioHaze

I will say this about the game though. I'm getting bored with this 0.54/0.55 loot distribution hybrid, no CLE stuff. I know the initial implementation of the new distribution wasn't finished in that item tagging wasn't done on anything but the weapons, but I found myself really exploring the map again the way that I did as a new spawn and noob to the game in my first 100 hours or so. I still like to explore, but it does kind of suck knowing that, after a certain point, the only way to progress your character is to hit the same 15 or so locations each day. I have made a route that hits many of the police stations, more than half of the cop cars, and most of the military spawns.

It's beginning to get a bit boring knowing that 85% of the locations on the map have nothing I need. I'm worried that the full implementation of the CLE in .56 (or .57, who knows when it will show back up) will bring us back to exactly this kind of distribution with the only major change being that the devs will have better/easier control. If anyone can chime in with any more information on the what the central loot economy might look like the next time we see it, that would be cool.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Tha'st a lot of point, shoot, die, rinse, repeat.

I'll never understand how people can play FPS's so much.

DayZ is only point, shoot, die, rinse, repeat, right? It's just stretched over a longer period of time but, currently, it is a slow deathmatch game. Even after all features on the roadmap are added there is still no innovation that Minecraft hasn't already provided (besides multiplayer torture.)

I played a lot of chess, checkers and Risk/Stratego when I was a kid. For me, the ability to invest an extreme amount of time in a game, develop strategies and perhaps see my manual skill/dexterity increase determines how fun I find a game. Street Fighter is like chess on crack once you get a basic understanding of the game mechanics and improve your move execution. Being able to, repeatedly, implement plans may sound boring to you but there is a whole industry (MOBA E-sports) built off of 5v5 PvP on a single map.

I love balanced and fair games that require skill. I love for a total noob at a game to still have a chance to survive and defeat me. DayZ is not that game.

• Like 3

DayZ is only point, shoot, die, rinse, repeat, right? It's just stretched over a longer period of time but, currently, it is a slow deathmatch game. Even after all features on the roadmap are added there is still no innovation that Minecraft hasn't already provided (besides multiplayer torture.)

-snip-

For starters, I would argue that the advanced health, and medical systems planned are quite innovative.

Weight + stamina + NPC stamina is some pretty innovative mechanics as well.

As far as balance is concerned, we can discuss DayZ balance better during Beta, of course.

I am an old school SF fan but prefer the flexibility of Smash Bros; a game that, when played with items on, gives a noob a chance against a master.

I very rarely become fanatical for any media but when I do it's usually because that band, author, MMA fighter, director, or video game shows me something special, something I haven't seen before in all the time I've followed the medium.

DayZ is admittedly far from complete and seems to have bugs from every conceivable angle while trying to accomplish things never attempted in game dev.

"You dawg, I heard you like to write hotfix code so I put BugZ in your BugZ so you can code while you code."

I might have a touch of ignorant faith in this dev team and maybe it's the New Yorker in me that really loves the multinational aspect of the team; I like to imagine these people were chosen carefully and have diverse talents.

I mean, even in it's sometimes less than charmingly broken state, "we" love DayZ or the "promise of DayZ" to come.

TL;DR

I liek gamez.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

For starters, I would argue that the advanced health, and medical systems planned are quite innovative.

If planning a medical system was all it took for a game to be innovative then Star Citizen would have won that race. I don't judge games on what they promise to deliver, I do it based on what they actually provide. As of right now DayZ has fallen short on all fronts. I fully expect this to change but (if we take Arma 3 as an example) not before Q3/Q4 2016, at the earliest.

But, then again, I used to play a lot of pen-and-paper RPGs as a kid. The damage/health systems in GURPS or Rifts > anything in modern video games.

Weight + stamina + NPC stamina is some pretty innovative mechanics as well.

Stamina and weight has been done before in many, many genres. From sports games to MMOs, the concept is not that new.

I am an old school SF fan but prefer the flexibility of Smash Bros; a game, when played with items on, gives a noob a chance against a master.

Well, it is no secret that SF fans think Smash is for carebears. :D

DayZ is admittedly far from complete and seems to have bugs from every conceivable angle while trying to accomplish things never attempted in game dev.

Again, I don't agree with this statement. Everything in this game is derivative or some other game that I have already played. The thing that drew me to mod was the possibility to eventually partake in a Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic world. Mod was (and still is) a fun deathmatch but DayZ SA seemed to want to offer more. I remember watching videos of Dean Hall back in the day and him actually saying that he was looking for way to reduce KoS.  I don't know if it was too hard or whatever but all of those plans seem to have been abandoned.

I mean, even in it's sometimes less than charmingly broken state, "we" love DayZ or the "promise of DayZ" to come.

TL;DR

I liek gamez.

I am in total agreement with you here. I love the game for what it is but I will never accept it as even having the potential to be the "greatest game ever". I might be old and jaded but I don't find the continual bugs and broken state of this game to be charming.

But games are great and you are too for discussing them with me. Thank you, sir. :)

• Like 1

No wonder people claim that SA is a great game (even in its current state) if they never experienced any great games before.

Weight and stamina innovative? Oh wow. Just to name some DayZ - related games that had it before: ACE for ArmA 2, DayZed for ArmA 2, some Epoch variants, recently - Origins, ArmA 3.

I understand, I thought my first car was the best ever, untill I've tried other ones.

• Like 1

Doom was is the greatest game ever.

http://i.imgur.com/SmvGcrW.gifv

• Like 1

Can you make leather outfits out of animal hide in 7 days to die

Yes. And Scrap iron armor out of scrap metal gained from car wrecks and iron armor made from iron mined in mines. As far as crafting goes 7 Days is clearly more sophisticated and more detailed at the moment.

Is there any temperature features, Can you even hunt in those games ?

Weather system coming next update to 7 days. Temperature - Character interaction planned feature.

And yes you can hunt. Heck you even need to hunt and grow crops in order to get quality food that keeps your wellness up. Which is true for Don't Starve as well.

Is there any sense of exciting pvp , or can you restrain people (so as to avoid KOS) , or can you Even talk to people you see over proximity chat ?

7 Days to die has a lot of PvP going on on the public online servers. It's just less of an occurance on some servers, because the game can't yet support as many players as some DayZ servers. On the flipside as I said before 7 Days to Die has actual working Zombies that are a threat that needs to be considered and depending on the setting is more dangerous than a player could be.

And when it comes to your list: Next thing you'd mentioned would be vehicles? Coming to 7 Days next update. Illness? Infection from Zombies, Food poisoning in 7 Days, compared to what? Food poisoning and catching a cold in DayZ? You tell me if one of the games is more in depth there. I think they're both still lacking in that department. What else could be on your list? Hmm weapon modding. Granted 7 Days doesn't have that. Then again it features a varying quality of guns since the last update and will introduce skills in the update after the next, making guns only craftable if you invested time "learning" how to do it. Again differences there, one system being more detailed than the other? I wouldn't say that.

See I am a huge fan of DayZ exactly for the points you mentioned about graphics and detail and realism. But I had my doubts from the beginning that the Arma Engine was the right basis for this kind of game with the feature plans outlined by Dean. And the problems the game keeps having since it's days as a mod simply has me worried that the decision for trying to repurpose an aged engine for things it was never intended to do might bite BI in the ass.

And as I said there are some games out there that aren't just plain copies, doing some things better and adding things they are missing in comparison to DayZ. And in the past year I have seen them progress a lot faster than DayZ did.

Plus judging games by their potential is a dangerous thing. You're out for dissapointment that way because it builds expectations that often are not met by the finished game. Some smart guy whose name I forgot said a while ago: Tell me about a games potential and all I see is a severe lack of features it should have to be complete. So as far as the Thread's question goes: Greatest game ever? Right here right now: NO! Potential to be? Sure. Then again that is true for a shitload of games I've played and a lot of them never lived up to it.

• Like 1

Doom was is the greatest game ever.

I never really got to experience the first two Doom games in their original context. I find that sometimes games are harder to appreciate once they are long past the time period in which they were relevant, mostly for technical reasons and the fact that success encourages emulation. That in turn means that I've experienced a lot of what an older game has to offer and then some, generally with improvements of some kind. 

For example, when I used to play Halo, I played 3 for years. Once Reach came out and then I got into BF too, I found it difficult to go back and enjoy the lack of customization options that I had began to get accustomed to in the newer titles. Still fun, but not quite as robust as it seemed in the time period when it was new. And that is a more tame example. Sometimes the disparity is much greater.

Most gamers would probably cry foul over my opinion here, but I'm probably not explaining it quite well enough. 

At any rate, Doom 3 is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time. I fully understand why Doom 1 & 2 were so popular and beloved. They were major breakthroughs in gaming, giving birth to an entire genre, and wholly unique in their time. Doom 3 scared the crap out of me and was absolutely fantastic for immersion and visuals. The BFG edition was a lot of fun to play through again too.

-snip-

But games are great and you are too for discussing them with me. Thank you, sir. :)

Well, thank you. I appreciate a good discussion/debate with informed individuals myself.

You seemed to over simplify a lot of what I said to make half a point, without considering mine a bit further.

When I spoke of health, medical, and weight and stamina, I wasn't referring to the base mechanics as innovative but the depth at which they will be pursued.

Of course weight has been done in games.... but not at the depth that DayZ will attempt.

The way I understand it, there will be a wide range of movement speeds dependent on gear not just, "you're too heavy to run".

Take that range of player mobility and balance it against a different in-depth stamina system which will be in place for the infected and you have a very dynamic and innovative level of authenticity.

Right?

Health and medical?

Authentic disease transference from the environment, objects, other players, and the infected, is a level depth/authenticity that I am unaware having been attempted prior.

Right? (Please don't try to tell me about Cholera blankets in Oregon Trail.... I'm probably older than you.)

And if you think Smash is for "carebears" then you have 0 idea about innovative gameplay.

SF is positively robotic in nature by comparison.

Memorizing unbreakable combos doesn't take much skill IMO.

No wonder people claim that SA is a great game (even in its current state) if they never experienced any great games before.

Weight and stamina innovative? Oh wow. Just to name some DayZ - related games that had it before: ACE for ArmA 2, DayZed for ArmA 2, some Epoch variants, recently - Origins, ArmA 3.

I understand, I thought my first car was the best ever, untill I've tried other ones.

I've probably lost more save data historically than you'll be able to create in the next decade.

I made it clear that I don't care for FPS games prior and unless you have also been playing games for 30+ years there is no chance that you have played as many "great games" as I have.

If you think military sim or FPS's constitute an innovative game experience at all then we'll never agree on games.

My above statement clarified what I meant regarding weight and stamina.

Neither you nor scriptfactory have offered an example where all of those factors I mentioned are being implemented on this scale, you just wanted an opportunity to shoot me down.... the difference is that scriptfactory was constructive where you were mostly being a prick.

• Like 1

Of course weight has been done in games.... but not at the depth that DayZ will attempt.

The way I understand it, there will be a wide range of movement speeds dependent on gear not just, "you're too heavy to run".

Take that range of player mobility and balance it against a different in-depth stamina system which will be in place for the infected and you have a very dynamic and innovative level of authenticity.

Right?

Well, ranges of movement speeds based on equipment has been done before, especially in combination with a stamina system. But no game, as far as I can recall, lets your create your loadout by running around and gathering gear.

I haven't never seen any game design plans for DayZ's advanced weight + stamina system but I sincerely doubt it will be as advanced as you seem to think it will be. None of the systems implemented to date seem that sophisticated from a design standpoint and they shouldn't be. Everything should be simple enough for people to understand without a UI.

Health and medical?

Authentic disease transference from the environment, objects, other players, and the infected, is a level depth/authenticity that I am unaware having been attempted prior.

Right? (Please don't try to tell me about Cholera blankets in Oregon Trail.... I'm probably older than you.)

Oregon Trail was amazing. XD

Project Zomboid has a fairly complex health system. There are also several text-based roguelikes I have played that offer similar functionality but not in a multiplayer environment.

https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Health

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the plans for the eventual health and medical system are quite in-depth. I am just not sure if the final implementation will be even close to what is planned.

And if you think Smash is for "carebears" then you have 0 idea about innovative gameplay.

SF is positively robotic in nature by comparison.

Memorizing unbreakable combos doesn't take much skill IMO.

There is a reason USFIV is the de facto fighting game in e-sports and Smash is primarily played at children's parties and teen sleepovers. Footsies. Option selects. 1-frame combo links. The skill ceiling for the game is incredibly high. Street Fighter is not Mortal Kombat so it has no need for combo breakers. An understanding of frame data is needed to play SF which, I feel, adds greatly to its complexity.

Dayz is best at it's genre (online survial). But not best of all time.

A lot of years and gamer generations have to pass through the game in order to call it a candidate for best of all time.

Heroes of Might&Magic

Settlers

C&C

Warcraft/Starcraft

Quake

One day this list will also have Dayz

-snip-

There is a reason USFIV is the de facto fighting game in e-sports and Smash is primarily played at children's parties and teen sleepovers. Footsies. Option selects. 1-frame combo links. The skill ceiling for the game is incredibly high. Street Fighter is not Mortal Kombat so it has no need for combo breakers. An understanding of frame data is needed to play SF which, I feel, adds greatly to its complexity.

Popularity does not a great game make.

WoW, Starcraft? Gouge my eyes out.

If that were true, Katy Perry and Kid Rock would be great music.

No need to belittle Smash players of all ages and skill levels to make your point.

If you don't appreciate the unique hit detection, environmental interaction, and minute defensive play that takes place in 1v1 no items Smash, you're missing out.

Edit: I am not a wrestling fan but a friend turned me on to the old AKI and Spike JPN Wrestling games which I know are WAY more fun and dynamic than SF.

Unfortunately the genre was still born in the states with the Def Jam games that followed WWF vs Raw's success.

Certain types of popularity ruin great things. Like Monkeyball.

That's why DayZ will never be left to the tender mercies of the FPS crowd no matter what.

Edited by BioHaze

Although my vote for PC would be dayz, I think one of the greatest games for xbox had to be halo 2 multiplayer , online was just too much fun especialy big team battles .... I think for playstation the greatest would be the resident evil series , as I played the shit out of all those games lol ..