gannon46

so much for the struggle

Still not sure where this farmville reference comes from either way. I've been farming since I started a few months ago and if you do it right it's 10 minutes or so ever few days. I've recently started playing with my kids and we build a bag camp outside any good towns. Our last step before we move on is to plant a farm and organize our packs withe the gear we're going to take with us while it grows.

I agree all playstyles are valid and if loot scarcity makes a mature playerbase interested in their characters survival a farmer could could be one as well if one were so inclined.

• Like 2

Still not sure where this farmville reference comes from either way. I've been farming since I started a few months ago and if you do it right it's 10 minutes or so ever few days. I've recently started playing with my kids and we build a bag camp outside any good towns. Our last step before we move on is to plant a farm and organize our packs withe the gear we're going to take with us while it grows.

I agree all playstyles are valid and if loot scarcity makes a mature playerbase interested in their characters survival a farmer could could be one as well if one were so inclined.

Exactly, farmers, hunters, fishermen. Tent camps, some farm some go out to scavenge, trade for ressources/raids on camps for ressources etc. Nobody forces anyone to farm, you can still kill fresh spawns at the coast and cut em up for some meat. The feature buffet just gets richer, Ressources, not only weapons & ammo, become more important.

1) It really REALLY seems like this isn't the "right game" for you.

2) Survival mechanics should not be tertiary to the main game, they should be the main game. Everything else should be based around the survival mechanics

3) Well, good thing you don't have to grow potatoes, then? You can forage for food, hunt animals, fish, or try to scavenge canned food.

4) If they died of starvation on the shore, then they obviously weren't trying very hard. Pick apples until you aren't dying, then run inland. The phrase of advice for newspawns in Day Z since the early mod? GET OFF THE COAST

Besides, what is the definition of insanity? "Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result"? Yeah.....

5) That was intentional. The devs want players to move west, and "grow" as they do so. Remember what happened when all the spawns were put around the NEAF? People (mainly PvP-circlejerkers and related streamers) refused to leave the NE corner of the map. The only players you found west of Novo were the players who got sick of being killed on the beach and made a run for it.

6) Good, "early PvP" needs to die a messy death. PvP should be something you do after you get situated, not the entire focus of the game. "Players running around on the coast in pink dresses, fighting with broomsticks", as Hicks quote went.

You half a dozen guys on here that keep saying the game is not for "you", (those of us that don't want a farming/harvesting sim),  Sorry but I think the game is for us. I bought all the Arma stuff just so I could play the Mod so I have a right to my opinion. I bought the SA within the first day it came out and have put in around 550 hours.

I only keep a very occasional eye on dev tweets but to be fair I find social media tedious and would rather be outside watching my pumpkins grow and wrestling bears in my underwear than listen to the gobby Hicks and his defenisve unprofessional threats. I too prefered Hall.

Most of us Farming Sim haters want a tougher survival game, we want rare loot, we want it to be super hard to find a gun, we want stupidly tough zombies and we want extreme violence involving other players. We want to explore the map. We want to see "You are dead" and to start over again. What we really want is to keep the game as a Survival Horror game, not a Survival Farming sim.

Surely we can have both?

I love how ignorantly people are dismissing the fact that Brian Hicks himself said that this game is not for the casuals.

I'm not a casual when I joined a recent whitelist server, I was in the top precentage with the amount of time I'd put into the game. Yes I know there are players who have racked up far more, but just cuse I don't want to pick apples all day doesn't mean I'm a casual.

Also we know you love Hicks and that's cool - but change the record.

We are running in circles here...this isn't about farmville crap, this isn't a war on PvP. Again, Dayz IS or will be a feature rich hardcore survival PvP game. Thats what they are trying to achieve. They want to mix features together, not just click the left mb to shoot.  Loot is broken, canned food in every house isn't the answer. 

The ideal dayz for me: Clan/tribes/lone wolfs in a melting pot of ressource scarcity, not just running to the next military outpost.

Yes I'm in total agreement.

Jonah Jonah Jonah... you don't have to pick apples all day or even farm all day. a short time doing those(short time) and your set, set for days in some cases. growing food (if you choose) is a small slice of the survival pie. quit making such a big fuss and being all dramatic over it

That's exactly what they're doing exaggerating to "prove" their point. Been playing with my son all week and aside from fifteen minutes after spawning of apples overdoing it so we can go farther without stopping early on. We grow two pumpkin plants at the beginning or end of our evening session we completely ignore canned goods to make room for the absurd amount of ammo at mil spawns right now. If you're dying of starvation you just plain suck, l2p or move on.

Umm, there is no problem with the food right now but there was before the hotfix, which is what this post is all about. You didn't "suck" because you starved back then, it was broken and no food or items that could be used to make food was spawning.

I don't know about yall, but I'm having a hell of a time finding food. These invisible fruits don't help either. 

So if something catastrophic happens and your're "too good" to pick apples for a few minutes or plant a garden and wait ten you're going to complain to the makers of the Apocalypse?

This is touted as an end of days sim not a gear and peeveepee shooter, move on and find a game that suits your playstyle/time constraints.

• Like 1

I never liked horticulture, I only planted gardens to see how they work. The fact that potato or pumpkin plants grow in 15 minutes really turns me away from game. There should be more ways in actually finding food. Like searching garden plots, greenhouses or those pumpkins that are on ground for leftovers or self grown plants. I had few characters when CLE was on, and spending a minute on picking apples every ten minutes was not fun killer.

I never liked horticulture, I only planted gardens to see how they work. The fact that potato or pumpkin plants grow in 15 minutes really turns me away from game. There should be more ways in actually finding food. Like searching garden plots, greenhouses or those pumpkins that are on ground for leftovers or self grown plants. I had few characters when CLE was on, and spending a minute on picking apples every ten minutes was not fun killer.

food growing in 15 minutes turns you away from the game? and all the other things that are just a little outside of reality are ok with you?

food growing in 15 minutes turns you away from the game? and all the other things that are just a little outside of reality are ok with you?

Other things are less accelerated (cooking, hunger, thirst) but this is just too much.

Other things are less accelerated (cooking, hunger, thirst) but this is just too much.

how about the healing speed? I've never been shot but I feel pretty certain it would take more than a couple can of peaches and a shot of morphine to get back up to 100% in moments. that seems a bit accelerated too.

Edited by SkyPig

how about the healing speed? I've never been shot but I feel pretty certain it would take more than a couple can of peaches and a shot of morphine to get back up to 100% in moments. that seems a bit accelerated too.

Probably. Lieing in bed for two weeks after every tme you are wounded would chase away few players from dayz.

I don't know about yall, but I'm having a hell of a time finding food. These invisible fruits don't help either. 

same on my ultra populated server, invisible fruits is my main source of food since they are the only one missed by other players.

for those who miss that rare loot experience, stop playing on empty server and join full private ones (those which are full every night and 30/50 at 10am). the feeling is still there. i left myshkino yesterday and found : 1 canned peach left behind a wrecked truck, a makarov magazine i found with tab only (never seen it on the ground) and a makarov and it felt like chrismass. found 3 pumpkin seed an hour later, again, it's chrismass since it will keep me from starving for hours !!! on this server, my character had the dark red starving icon twice and i spend most of my time with the orange one. i carry an SKS for 7-8 hours but still have no ammo for it.

so when i see those people telling the loot is everywhere and the game is too easy with their brand new akm with PSO and drum mags, i just laugh my ass off but i undersertand their boredom (which they are responsible of). you just can't join an almost empty server to farm loot and then say there is too mutch loot. you are using underexploited servers, which is almost like using a glitch for me and i don't even speak of hopping.

Edited by Zboub le météor
  • Like 1

Probably. Lieing in bed for two weeks after every tme you are wounded would chase away few players from dayz.

kinda like waiting weeks for a plant to grow?

Look at it this way: When you get injured in Day Z, you aren't actually healing at a superhuman speed, you are merely dealing with the symptoms of shock.

Shock is a physiological reaction that your body goes through whenever you get injured, whether it is a cut on the finger or a bullet to the chest. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(circulatory)Can explain it better

Essentially, whenever you get injured, your body reacts in certain ways. Some people get nauseous, some get disoriented, some faint, some blurry vision, etc etc etc.

Treating for shock is a major part of 1st Aid, and it essentially is made up of 1) stop the cause of shock (stopping bleeding, treating dehydration, dealing with/ stopping pain, etc) and 2) eating, drinking, and resting.

Sound familiar?

It makes FAR FAR more sense for us to treat for shock than to assume we are healing at a superhuman speed.

Part of the problem is that the in-game term for damage is "blood", and thusly we assume we are recovering "blood", AKA healing, when we get colored-non-blurry screens, which isn't actually the case. Blurry, grey-scale vision is a common symptom of pain-related shock. When we get the "healing/healthy buff", you aren't actually healing, just recovering from shock-related symptoms

Relatedly, there is also a term in-game for how likely a hit is to knock you unconcious. While severe shock can knock you out, it isn't generally related to the actual force of a blow. Just to add to the confusion.

• Like 1

Meh. The loot in the build was just silly, running around for 3 hours to find nothing is not fun in my opinion.

• Like 1

Look at it this way: When you get injured in Day Z, you aren't actually healing at a superhuman speed, you are merely dealing with the symptoms of shock.

Shock is a physiological reaction that your body goes through whenever you get injured, whether it is a cut on the finger or a bullet to the chest. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(circulatory)Can explain it better

Essentially, whenever you get injured, your body reacts in certain ways. Some people get nauseous, some get disoriented, some faint, some blurry vision, etc etc etc.

Treating for shock is a major part of 1st Aid, and it essentially is made up of 1) stop the cause of shock (stopping bleeding, treating dehydration, dealing with/ stopping pain, etc) and 2) eating, drinking, and resting.

Sound familiar?

It makes FAR FAR more sense for us to treat for shock than to assume we are healing at a superhuman speed.

Part of the problem is that the in-game term for damage is "blood", and thusly we assume we are recovering "blood", AKA healing, when we get colored-non-blurry screens, which isn't actually the case. Blurry, grey-scale vision is a common symptom of pain-related shock. When we get the "healing/healthy buff", you aren't actually healing, just recovering from shock-related symptoms

Relatedly, there is also a term in-game for how likely a hit is to knock you unconcious. While severe shock can knock you out, it isn't generally related to the actual force of a blow. Just to add to the confusion.

can you provide a link to this statement as I'd be interested to read about it, the Blurry, grey-scale vision is a common symptom of pain-related shock.bit.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

Meh. The loot in the build was just silly, running around for 3 hours to find nothing is not fun in my opinion.

Better get used to it because it's only going to get worse, in a good way.

can you provide a link to this statement as I'd be interested to read about it, the Blurry, grey-scale vision is a common symptom of pain-related shock.bit.

It isn't "directly" caused by shock, but the things that can cause blurry vision and loss of color (pupil dilation, anxiety and hyperventilation, although "loss of color vision" is a tad bit more serious) are, in turn, symptoms of shock.

I know a kid in my Scout Troop that accidentally stabbed himself in the thigh with a knife. On the way to the hospital, he told us he could barely see anything, which freaked him out even more.

I honestly was a hard advocate of them randomizing the loot spawns because it most certainly will and DID make server hopping a nogo. i like random loot in random locations, however they also need to have locations that bottle neck player interactions.. something like a automated market, specific spawn locations for high value loot items, or something.

before .55 i never even entertained the idea of having a farm, picking up seeds, or even sniffing at a hoe/pickaxe.

honestly It's good that they forced me to use these items. i want the game to be challenging where you should need to use aspects of it to survive...

however, running around for 4 days finding nothing, choppers not working, and tents not working, is no bueno.

once they fix the choppers, make sure the tents stay, and make certain locations spawn specific loot, and the other locations random with a chance of spawning a high value loot item as well.. that will be the day.

Guys - the mechanics and intended flow of 0.55 is not present, not once we switched the new spawning system off on the server side.

We're currently using the legacy spawning and cleanup functionality, which is very commonly known to have its fair share of serious issues. I for one cannot wait for 0.56 to roll out.

• Like 4

Guys - the mechanics and intended flow of 0.55 is not present, not once we switched the new spawning system off on the server side.

We're currently using the legacy spawning and cleanup functionality, which is very commonly known to have its fair share of serious issues. I for one cannot wait for 0.56 to roll out.

I don't expect a response here, but any idea when we might see 0.56 hit experimental? I understand if you can't say.