Sign in to follow this  
Draco122

Pistol Crossbow

With the advent of 0.55 and the more spawns of animals, I think that having a smaller, more compact Pistol Crossbow would be a welcome addition to DayZ. It would be equal in size to most SMG's in the inventory and would most likely be only slightly less powerful at range compared to the standard crossbow.

viper-pistol-crossbow-1013-p.jpg

• Like 5

Small. Silent and uses existing ammunition. I like it.

• Like 1

Add inpro. bolts & ill join the train.

In reality, probably not worth the weight.

To be as "effective" as possible energy-wise with hunting, you really only want to hunt large game: deer, boar, cow, etc. You trap small game. Such a crossbow would only really be capable of taking small game (in the sense that both the bolt would be too small to do any real damage, the "poundage" of the bow wouldn't be nearly enough to kill large game in a humane manner, and without a stock, you would have to get "unrealistically" [read: not gonna happen] close to an animal to get a killing shot), and while it would be eminently capable of killing small game, you are probably better off making a spear/rabbit stick and using that.

I've actually shot at (and hit) small game animals with my hand crossbow, and without really good shot placement (which again, is difficult due to a lack of stock), even small game are going to run/fly away. I shot a seagull, and the bird had time to fly over 1/2 a mile away, and the bolt (which was impaled through the main body) didn't kill it. I had to mercy kill the poor animal with a stick.

NOTE: "hand crossbows" tend to not use the same sized ammunition as regular crossbows, so that is right out

• Like 1

In reality, probably not worth the weight.

To be as "effective" as possible energy-wise with hunting, you really only want to hunt large game: deer, boar, cow, etc. You trap small game. Such a crossbow would only really be capable of taking small game (in the sense that both the bolt would be too small to do any real damage, the "poundage" of the bow wouldn't be nearly enough to kill large game in a humane manner, and without a stock, you would have to get "unrealistically" [read: not gonna happen] close to an animal to get a killing shot), and while it would be eminently capable of killing small game, you are probably better off making a spear/rabbit stick and using that.

I've actually shot at (and hit) small game animals with my hand crossbow, and without really good shot placement (which again, is difficult due to a lack of stock), even small game are going to run/fly away. I shot a seagull, and the bird had time to fly over 1/2 a mile away, and the bolt (which was impaled through the main body) didn't kill it. I had to mercy kill the poor animal with a stick.

NOTE: "hand crossbows" tend to not use the same sized ammunition as regular crossbows, so that is right out

Every thing you say is right, I shot a pistol crossbows myself.

But my application for one would be sneaking around a town and headshoting zombies only 10m away before they agro on you. Currently I use a sporter for this.

the andvantage of a pistol crossbow over a sporter or amphibia would be that you could craft the bolts yourslef and retrieve them.

Every thing you say is right, I shot a pistol crossbows myself.

But my application for one would be sneaking around a town and headshoting zombies only 10m away before they agro on you. Currently I use a sporter for this.

the andvantage of a pistol crossbow over a sporter or amphibia would be that you could craft the bolts yourslef and retrieve them.

A pistol crossbow probably lacks the power and tip geometry to punch through a human skull. (NOTE: it would still hurt like a motherfucker) And, even if it punch through, unless the bolt has a broadhead, all it will do it put a little hole into the brain, which will not kill the target right away. Arrows and related projectiles kill by blood loss primarily, while bullets (due to the forces involved" often liquefy the flesh it passes through, as well as leaving a significant wound channel.

If I had my way, headshots wouldn't be an "instant kill", all they would do is instantly knock you out while you bleed to death. Unless you annihilate the head (which a shot from a .22LR is not going to do), even a headshot in real life is not immediately lethal.

And, how are you going to be crafting these bolts? Sticks? Do you know how to straighten sticks? If you don't you are going to have zero accuracy. Use wooden dowels? DO you know how to balance a projectile with such a light shaft?  ETC ETC ETC. There is a reason arrows and bolts were made by professionals for as long as bows and crossbows have been used as weapons

Crafting accurate projectiles is harder than the game makes it seem.

A pistol crossbow probably lacks the power and tip geometry to punch through a human skull. (NOTE: it would still hurt like a motherfucker) And, even if it punch through, unless the bolt has a broadhead, all it will do it put a little hole into the brain, which will not kill the target right away. Arrows and related projectiles kill by blood loss primarily, while bullets (due to the forces involved" often liquefy the flesh it passes through, as well as leaving a significant wound channel.

If I had my way, headshots wouldn't be an "instant kill", all they would do is instantly knock you out while you bleed to death. Unless you annihilate the head (which a shot from a .22LR is not going to do), even a headshot in real life is not immediately lethal.

And, how are you going to be crafting these bolts? Sticks? Do you know how to straighten sticks? If you don't you are going to have zero accuracy. Use wooden dowels? DO you know how to balance a projectile with such a light shaft?  ETC ETC ETC. There is a reason arrows and bolts were made by professionals for as long as bows and crossbows have been used as weapons

Crafting accurate projectiles is harder than the game makes it seem.

Ok forget about crafting bolts.

I would agree that crafted bolts would lack the penetration capability and can't be reused because they would break.

But I think a 80lb pilstol crossbow would have enough power to punch through a rotten zombie skull.

https://youtu.be/ilnxprvehlU?t=7m20s

And remember, its use would be to headshot zombies at very short ranges (under 10m) so accuracy isn't a big deal.

The goal is to kill them silently to avoid them agro on you and attracting more zombies.

Ok forget about crafting bolts.

I would agree that crafted bolts would lack the penetration capability and can't be reused because they would break.

But I think a 80lb pilstol crossbow would have enough power to punch through a rotten zombie skull.

https://youtu.be/ilnxprvehlU?t=7m20s

And remember, its use would be to headshot zombies at very short ranges (under 10m) so accuracy isn't a big deal.

The goal is to kill them silently to avoid them agro on you and attracting more zombies.

1) The "zombies" in Day Z are not "zombies" in the classical sense: they are not reanimated rotting corpses, but living people infected with some unknown Prion disease. As such, their skulls are not rotting

Human bone is actually rather tough, capable of turning aside and chipping metal blades.

2) 10 meters is a little over 30 feet, mate. Accuracy is very important when you are trying to hit something that, at that distance, will be very small and difficult to hit, not to mention round, and therefore, capable of deflecting glancing blows.. Think about this: at 100 (~330 feet) an average sized human being will appear to be about the size of an American "dime" coin.

Also note, the "poundage" of a crossbow is in actuality less than that of a "regular" bow, due to the shorter power stroke (the distance the string travels before the arrow is released). The "weights" aren't directly comparable, but I've read that an 100lb full-sized crossbow is equivalent in force to a 40-45lb bow, which is the absolute minimum weight suggested for hunting large game (which humans could technically count as).

In Massachusetts (where I am from), the minimum required draw (although higher draws are officially recommended, to ensure a quick, merciful death for the animal), is 45lbs for a recurve/compound bow, and 125lbs for a crossbow, and you can only use a crossbow if you are disabled and cannot use a regular bow.

With the advent of 0.55 and the more spawns of animals, I think that having a smaller, more compact Pistol Crossbow would be a welcome addition to DayZ. It would be equal in size to most SMG's in the inventory and would most likely be only slightly less powerful at range compared to the standard crossbow.

viper-pistol-crossbow-1013-p.jpg

If this was to be included, it should be crafted from a normal size crossbow, if the one in the picture is what youre planning.

I`ve been to gun shows and I`ve seen tons of pistol crossbows and they go for about 15$ and behave like a Nerf gun.

Though, I do believe they make high quality ones, so that would be great

beans

7/10