boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Anyone who is currently playing on their geared .54 guy try playing as new spawn? Can anyone confirm that you spawn much closer to starvation than before? Id like to know if anyone remembers how long it took prior to .55 to die of starvation compared to now. My experience was after 10 mins of crouch running, somw crawling, and trying to loot a few houses and sheds and by then i got "dying from starvation message"

Edited by cash81

Anyone who is currently playing on their geared .54 guy try playing as new spawn? Can anyone confirm that you spawn much closer to starvation than before? Id like to know if anyone remembers how long it took prior to .55 to die of starvation compared to now. My experience was after 10 mins of crouch running, somw crawling, and trying to loot a few houses and sheds and by then i got "dying from starvation message"

My last character was several months ago, and he became a fresh spawn when I joined a server for the first time in a while, yesterday. 

I started out a little thirsty. I soon became hungry, but neither my thirst or my hunger ever turned red or, even, brown. That was 3 fresh spawns, and they all went about the same way. More of a struggle than I remember, but, it wasn't that bad in my experience.

• Like 1

OK, I played some more and here are some thoughts on newest update:

- you actually care about your stuff even more (it's harder to get good gear so you don't start risky fight)

- you don't have many bullets so you spend them wisely

- players will loot every building in city, not just few with best spawns

- players will move around map, they can't stay in Elektro/Cherno/mili bases all the time, they need to go to other city and search for food

These things are great, but there are cons too:

- aggressive and non-friendly playstyle is even more rewarding. Before forced persistence you wanted to kill someone: because you were bored, you wanted some action or his gear. Now you see a guy and think: "oh! I see running food! I can eat him! and if I'm lucky maybe he have some food too!" Till now I played as friendly guy, but now I don't. I'm looking for food, I have few bullets and then I see a guy. This guy have some pretty good gear. I just wait for a good moment and boom! 1 mosin shot and guy is dead. Even if I won't find anything useful (food, ammo, meds, etc.) I can still eat him. Not because I want, but because I have to do this to survive.

- playing alone or in small group (up to 3 players?) is more rewarding. In one city I found mostly 1-4 cans of food. It's probably enough for 1 or 2 players. 

- spawn system is a nonsense: there is no stuff in military bases, there is no point in going there. You can find guns, ammo, camo clothes, etc. in normal building (higher chance to find them in city than in mili base) and in mili bases you can find mostly: pitchfork (wtf?), books, handcuffs, keys. Helicrash stays in same place after restart, but there is no gear there. Instead you can find that gear in normal building (yup! I bet it's normal thing to keep M4 in your house).

- zeds are... I don't have a word. They are not OP, they are not too weak, but they are not made good. They are just broken. It took me 4-5 hits to kill a zed from firefighter axe, during this time he hit me 10 times by just running around me. All previous problems with zeds are still here, sometimes they don't care about gunshots (btw gunshot sound bugged as hell again) and sometimes they still see you even when u are crouching, you are 20-30m behind then and you are moving slowly. Best way of fighting with zeds is... not fighting with them. Just aggro as many zed as you can and run away with them. In meantime your friend will loot place without worrying about zeds. If you are playing solo it's not a problem too. They will stop chasing you fast so you can just go back and loot in peace.

- in freshspawn areas there is even more "freshspawn banditos" and bandits in general. If you spawned, you know there is probably nothing good around and then you see a guy with a backpack. You know this is probably only backpack in city. Maybe he have even some food? So best thing to do is try to knock him out, steal his stuff and kill him. It's worth a try, because you will probably die from starvation soon (if you won't play aggressive).

This is new update from perspective of a good geared player (camo, guns, ammo and I had a few cans of food). Yet for freshspawn is probably very, very hard to start.

Edited by kubas246

Wow, look at all this crying. Now that feels like the DayZ I remember!

Pro Tip: Zombies are not a problem if you decide to pull out that gun instead of <insert melee weapon>

Pro Tip: You can also try and out smart those zeds. They're highly emotional and not too bright.

The game is still easy. Like many said, sure zeds are faster and attack faster. But on avarage they deal LESS damage and they're dumb as ****.

You just cant sprint pass them without aggroing one. You can easily crounch walk right behind their backs (almost)....

No super eye vision over 1000m that people used to cry about and they still drop in one headshot.

Either by a gun or your fist. You can still easily run into buildings and lock yourself into.

Only time the zombie managed to get in was when i walked into his glitched-thru-the-door arm, because it did that "flanking" attack thingy.

I only wish they would get a smooth attack animation. Whatever animation should happen when zombie is about to hit me & hits me just isnt there or it performs way too fast.

It's almost teleport-like. Add desync and you get allot of unsatisfied ruined gear owners posting to the forums

On the other news, animal AI was dumbed down, im 100% sure. I also saw a chicken walking pass two zombies and none of them aggroed.

Maybe 'cause they're super blind but the chicken was super close aswell..

Anyone who is currently playing on their geared .54 guy try playing as new spawn? Can anyone confirm that you spawn much closer to starvation than before? Id like to know if anyone remembers how long it took prior to .55 to die of starvation compared to now

Got Pik kozlova spawn on 50/50. Ran Dubky, got firefighters axe and some gear, no food. I was starving in novoselky but kept looting untill i ate in chapaevsk.

I dont know if the starvation hit any faster, only difference i noticed is I didnt end up completely geared out after leaving chapaevsk. Which is a good thing.

Edited by halp

Had to cook a bambi to survive. Whoever you were, don't feel bad, it was for a good cause.  :blush:

Time to head inland, the coast is pretty much picked clean — nothing but bandits or freshspawns who have nothing to lose and go all-in on seeing a geared player.

0.55 is turning out rather brutal.  ^_^

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 1

Had to cook a bambi to survive. Whoever you were, don't feel bad, it was for a good cause.  :blush:

Time to head inland, the coast is pretty much picked clean — nothing but bandits or freshspawns who have nothing to lose and go all-in on seeing a geared player.

0.55 is turning out rather brutal.  ^_^

seems like bambi steaks will be a very popular dish this month.

I really enjoy the challenge with the new zombie AI beause it finally starts to influence gameplay and tactics. Right now they really are not friendly and a huge pain during a gunfight.

Edited by robophant

A shutter is NOT a TAILGATE.  The V3S cargo has a tailgate, a shutter ROLLS up and down.  A shutter does not flip up and down like a tailgate. 

Did anyone swim over to Skalisty yet and see if there's any loot there?

Get out of breezino... Time to play the real game no more welfare gear pvp death match

I don`t quite get the correlation there, but sure mate.

I just saw a tac vest, and a hunting backpack in an outhouse :) 

Poor hunter... shitting, and got eaten by zombies...

And, then a zombie attacked me from nowhere... I panicked. Put 20 rounds in him...

The search for a container continues... trying to start a small farm... need to transport water... had a water bottle, but it got ruined :(

I've been enjoying it these last couple of days since the patch (after a few month hiatus).

Just trying to stay away from you savages...

• Like 1

And they did.

It's just that what these competent people do isn't always dictated by the majority's opinion, but rather by other factors, like their own Vision, Game Design considerations and good practices. Be patient and re-read the Terms & Conditions. In essence, you've paid to be an unpaid QA Tech and maybe have your opinion listened to. Sometimes. ;)

That is a valid argument but my point is that I put alot of hours in the game to gear up and to lose it because of a patch is frustrating. Also I havent heard that everyone has lost drum mags so its a specific problem

Ok my feelings on this after a few hours of play....

1) Zeds are going in the right direction but they are still pretty weak. I fist killed one with no damage to me or my stuff. They hit weaker than before but are more agile. They are not attracted by gun shots.. I stood in cherno and shot a few with a mosin and no more came along. I like them but they need to be stronger but I realise this probably wont be done till they a less glitchy?

2) loot... Well, good and bad. I agree with not being able to find canned goods everywhere but every house bar maybe one or 2 I went in had only hats in them, loads of thermometers I'm barns though? I understand loot is broken somewhat and I only played s few hours around berezino and novo, but I went in many many buildings of all sorts and found only 3 cans of food and 1 drink. I ate apples and berries to survive and it was a struggle but also fun.

3) hunger. This is my biggest gripe. I don't get why it's so easy to starve to death? You can live for weeks with no food... water on the other hand is much more important so why is the game balanced so heavily towards food? In reality you would be able to stuff a load of apples and berries down and be ok to walk inland without dieing of hunger? If there will be a continued scarcity of food (which I believe there should be) it needs tweaking IMO. Also in this situation it would be good to be able to forage for more stuff eg mushrooms, other fruit to at least keep you alive until you can find a way to make fire..

4) little bits.. I love the fact that the stupid dot has gone!! Thank you. And the new icons for opening door/go down ladder etc.. Love it.

I haven't really played enough to full appreciate the new patch but i feel like last time I played I was playing a CODayz and today I'm playing Dayz.

• Like 2

That is a valid argument but my point is that I put alot of hours in the game to gear up and to lose it because of a patch is frustrating. Also I havent heard that everyone has lost drum mags so its a specific problem

Don't get attached to your gear just yet. Right now we're all testing the game, not playing it. I'm expecting to lose all my gear at least a couple dozen more times between now and the Beta. ;)

Disappearing drum mags are a common problem with 0.55. I have seen at least 4 separate reports in this thread alone and it's already been acknowledged by the devs.

• Like 1

Is there any loot gathering somwhere?. Been around the whole map and in all the outskirts and it's all crap. Except policestations (mp5s) in the north and lootsplotions in the guardtowers(loads of loads of crap). V3's are persistent in the bay around prison island i guess. And where are the players? Clocked in 5-6 hours today on my usual 50/50 server and i saw nobody. Vyborg-Kamenka-Cherno-Myshkin-Vyborg Milbase- NWAF-Northern new cities-Staryo cities.. And without finding much else then books, i find it...really boring.

And the infected are... ok, ish.. They aren't dangerous, they are just annoying in a glitchy, gear ruining kind of way.

Edited by aasand

There doesn't seem to be any new loot spawning anywhere. I played y-day and it was pretty scarce but today was completely hopeless. I had a well-geared character freeze to death because there weren't any matches or dry clothes to find and two newspawns die of starvation, even after downing twenty apples. I understand the idea about foraging and hunting and the like but its kind of impossible when the items needed to do so isn't available. I would even have dug for worms, but there were no shovels. The hunger issue I've adressed before, its clearly broken. A person shouldn't starve to death in half an hour even after eating a lot of food.

I don't know what the deal is here but its not very fun. Except the infected, they are more fun now. If we only could eat them?

Maybe its better to sit this patch out?

Few issues.

The zombies are in the right direction. Unfortunately they teleport around a bit and are a bit frustrating to deal with. The aggro is in the right direction and I ran into a swarm in Stary Sobor for the first time which was cool.

On the topic of hoards, there is my main issue. Ammunition. I ran across the entire map from Solnichiny south through Cherno, then north through Guglovo, Novy, Stary, into Vybor, NWAF, Myshkino, plus many other towns. I didn't find a single shot of 7.62x39. I used about 120 shots on zombies. All my 75 round drum mags got deleted, which is another issue but I get it. They were too common. But running across the entire map and finding not a single shot of 7.62x39? That's not alright.

I found like 6 V3S's in my journey but not a single shot of ammunition.

Loot distribution is a major issue. It simply encourages server hopping, which I'm trying to avoid.

Just my 2 cents.

I found a High Capacity Vest on the roof of a car in some random tiny village. I also have found truckloads of tents and ammo for every gun but the one I'm using. 

The new zombies are fantastic. They need to fix the fact that the animations don't seem to be closely linked with the "taking damage" screen, but still, welcome change.

Tents appear to be stable. I'm building a tent city.

Just to confirm: My private hive character had a 75 rnd drum mag. I logged on that server for the first time about two hours ago. The drum mag is gone.

Is anyone else not taking damage from zombies? I'm not bleeding, my clothes aren't degrading, none of my items are getting damaged. Every altercation, I get hit 1-3 times and still nothing on public or private servers.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

The hunger issue I've adressed before, its clearly broken. A person shouldn't starve to death in half an hour even after eating a lot of food. I don't know what the deal is here but its not very fun.

I think that has been explained.

You start with 1000 energy (Hungry), 1800 Hydration (almost Thirsty) and 1000 Stomach volume. Given that maximum Energy is 20000 (let's assume it's the energy that you can store throughout your body, such as the ATP and glucose in your muscle, your subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue, glucose in the blood, etc) and max Stomach volume is 4000, it's reasonable to assume that the starting stats (the way they are now) simulate having been malnourished for days, if not weeks, prior to spawning, and having only drank a couple bottles of water recently — again, prior to spawning. Yes, it's a tremendous disadvantage to start with, but it's the way it is now.

In essence, you don't 'starve in half an hour', you haven't seen any food for a long time before you even spawned.

An Apple gives you 69kcal Energy and 172ml Hydration, so eating 20 of them gives you 1380kcal Energy and 3.44L Hydration, which is enough to give you the Energized and Hydrated (Stuffed too, borderline vomiting) statuses and, given you don't sprint (or, when the new stamina system is in, move as little as possible), should last you quite a while.

Are you sure you weren't sprinting everywhere? Sounds to me like you were:

30 min * 60 sec * –1.6 Energy&Hydration/sec = –2880 Energy&Hydration, which will land you in the Starving zone (1000+1380–2880 = –500).

If you were only jogging or walking, it would have been 30 * 60 * –0.5 = –900 Energy&Hydration, which is, assuming those 20 apples are the only thing you consumed, a no-indicator Energized status (1000+1380–900 = 1480).

EDIT: Can't do math at night. Corrected and re-verified.

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 6

Its a bit of a problem not moving when there is zero loot in the vicinity of the spawnpoint. Naturally I sprinted. I needed to get somewhere where I could find something to eat. If I had walked I wouldn't have spent as much energy but i wouldn't have gotten anywhere either so whats the point of that?

But still, in half an hour you go from hungry to starving to death. if you eat three apples or so you can only get a few hundred metres before you are starving to death again.

I can accept that food is scarce, I can accept that you have to find ways to gather food in the wild or kill animals to eat, but when everything you do in a playsession is trying to make it to the next town while not starving to death it takes out a lot of the fun of the game.

I even tried helping another newspawn as I figured we could cover more houses together but in the end I had to tell him to eat my corpse when I died and move on. Then i died. And most likely he died shortly after.

Still, I am confident that the game will become playable again and that methods will emerge to cope with this famine. Its just annoying to see something working well and then see it ruined.

And theres already a saying down by the coast: A Bambi a day keeps the starving away.

• Like 1

Naturally I sprinted. I needed to get somewhere where I could find something to eat. If I had walked I wouldn't have spent as much energy but i wouldn't have gotten anywhere either so whats the point of that?

The point is that Sprinting is only 1.57 times faster than Jogging while consuming 3.2 times more energy, in essence being half as efficient.

You would have still gotten there and spent a lot less energy and sweat doing it. It would have just taken you a tad longer. Maybe you would've even survived to find your next food item, instead of starving.  <_<

And theres already a saying down by the coast: A Bambi a day keeps the starving away.

Oh boy… :D That was quite expected… even anticipated.  ^_^

Even I had to partake. For the first time in my DayZ career.

Not planning to repeat the experience, though, because it made me feel like a sociopathic piece of s..t afterwards.  :(

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 2

My impressions over the last two days, playing on a priv server and a public, traveling all over the map.

1: Infected - Once the invisible z's were gone, I've actually enjoyed the zombies a lot. They hit more often than I would expect but their damage is not bad, most of the time. There are some hits that still flat out take gear from pristine to ruined in one hit.  I do believe that getting hit repeatedly should damage gear, but one hit ruin is to much. Still there are lot of nice new mechanics, such as sneaking or losing them by breaking line of sight which works the majority of the time. One issue though I should not be able to stand and run right by one, nor sneak in front of one. I also like if you shoot other zeds are likely gonna agro you. Overall a real good start but some tweaks are needed.

2: Loot - Ah, loot is a mess. I do like the chance of having gear spawn in any location. But perhaps some areas should still have a heavier weighted chance to spawn in specific area's. For instance, I believe it's possible to find a military weapon in a normal home. But finding them only in homes and none in mil areas is odd. The other issue is persistence. I get that we want players to migrate and move around not just stay on the coast, but having no loot at all once someone takes stuff in that area? Ugh. No. The items should spawn all over, depending on when something is taken or used.

Also consider weighting basic items heavier to starting areas, especially for respawning items. Making improvised weapons and backpacks and other gear is great. Especially for starting off. But as it stands you are likely to find better items, before you find the components to make them like rope, burlap sack, knives and axes.

3: Gathering/ Animals. Okay I'm going to say it, I hate gathering apples. Make the chance 50/50 or something. I spent 20 minutes gathering apples to get 7... While this maybe 'realistic' to some it's a boring time sink the way it works now.

On animals, I WANT to hunt to survive. I want roast a steak on the fire but in two days I saw one goat. No other animals. Again, tweak the spawns so animals can be found and harvested with some 'work'.

4: PvP - Meh I really haven't seen much of a change mostly because the majority were so heavily geared to start with. I know people hate it but a character wipe probably would have been good to do.