Insane Ruffles

How many times have you been killed by a server hopper?

usually, i don't get killed by hoppers as they don't move for a while (the famous please wait i think). most of the time i run into people logging in, immobile. so i shot then in the face and get their gear.

by the way, they are not always hopper i think, i've had server crash or restart when looting dangerous area, logging in back to find myself as a freshspawn, probably killed by someone who might said "eat that fucking hopper", who know...

a guy that can move just after logging in must be logging in for the very first time of the day (or had changed IP between two sessions), so it might not be a hopper and that can be deadly in a situation where you think you have cleared a building.

• Like 1

I am not supporting server hoppers who abuse the system to get gear...

But for example in your case... How many people would waste their time looting a persistent on server let's say on Sunday? Given that loot respawns are broken and a top respawn ing due to random lootsplosions around the server... Most the time your gurabteeded to find jack unless you go farm a loot splosion which is just as bad as server hopping a barrack 100 times

I play on two servers both ashes of nyc..They have a persist on and persist off.

I farm loot mainly on persist off but when I wanna do other things I choose the one with the higher pop at the time so I can meet more people...

I also will change servers to play on if both are empty...

How are these bad things? It gives me more options to play with people.

The single server only purists can enjoy their private servers if they like but public servers have their place.

There are A LOT of legit reasons to change servers.

I use one server for looting because it barely has anyone on.

...is not one of them.

That's exploiting low pop for ease of looting to then go PvP on a high pop server with that same loot.

Why not play another game that spawns you with gear and have your PvP sooner?

...is not one of them.

That's exploiting low pop for ease of looting to then go PvP on a high pop server with that same loot.

Why not go on a high pop and gear up and then PvP? Oh wait... You can't, because the gear is gone. If you payed any attention to my posts you would know that. If you looked at my post that said I use 1 server regardless of the population, you would know that. When I picked that server, I picked low pop. Now I dont care what the pop is, I always loot on there.

I use one server for looting because it barely has anyone on.

I read just fine.

:facepalm:

Again, I always use this server for loot, regardless of the population.

No, you did not.

Im just going to edit that part.

Edited by InsaneRuffles

That's actually exactly what it is... word for word.  Playing on a single server while looting is not.  

Logging into a low pop server to loot risk free only to then log into a higher pop server to get action is definitely server hopping, 100%, and the bad kind. I sorta rank server hopping scenarios as follows:

1. Server after server after server... sitting in a prime location (military base, airfield, etc) looting a building or two then immediately logging into another server to repeat over and over. This is the worst kind of server hopping.
  2. Low pop gear up to high pop action... basically deciding to loot risk free on a low/no pop server only to then log into a high pop server and get some action. This is the second worst kind of server hopping.
  3. Avoiding a pink flamingo, joining up with some friends, if you're a streamer moving out of a compromised server, etc ... basically changing servers for a defensible reason, this is server hopping but I think 99.9% would agree this is acceptable and in no way gimp.
  • Like 1

No, you did not.

Im just going to edit that part.

Step 1: Post something and get called out for it

Step 2: Edit post after the fact to change the original meaning

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

Edit: Added quote for context. ;)

Edited by tommy290
  • Like 1

Step 1: Post something and get called out for it

Step 2: Edit post after the fact to change the original meaning

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

Edit: Added quote for context. ;)

*Sigh* I stated that low pop was a factor when initially joining the server. I stayed on it for different reasons. If you would have read the thread instead of pulling things out of context, you would know that.

Its very immersion breaking if you can't ever check something and feel safe, because someone might magically appear in there and ambush you.

There are a lot of opinions being tossed around here and I see merit on both sides. It's hard to know exactly what the right thing to do here is to combat the issues that the public hive present. I wasn't going to post at all, just read and see what people are saying, but the statement I quoted here really caught my attention.

I know there a lot of different playstyles and approaches to the game. Many people play to experience different things. No matter what your reasons for playing, I thing one thing that draws all of us the immersive aspect of DayZ. It adheres to a type of authenticity that largely does not exist in mainstream gaming today. 

That said, I can't help but overwhelmingly agree with the this statement by the OP. Since the game is in alpha and the devs may have plans to rework a lot that will go towards fixing this kind of issue, I acknowledge that and don't want anyone to misconstrue this as a complaint. Rather, this is my feedback.

As the game is now, it amplifies the effect that abusive, exploitative behaviors that are rampant in any online game have on others. Like it or not, this game, at its' core, IS at least partially a shooter and, as a result, many terrible behaviors are going to come with that. Gamers have been learning how to stay alive in low TTK shooters for the last decade or more. The tactics they employ often have no regard for "the spirit of the game" and I wouldn't expect them to. It's up to the devs to combat these behaviors if they clash with the central design tenants of their game.

I really think that the way server hopping works now needs to be addressed. Even if you make all the right decisions about how to approach a situation and clear rooms properly, the random variable of another player spawning into high loot zones make those areas 1000x more of a danger than any other location where a player may spawn in. While you could make the argument that the player knows the danger when going into these areas, he cannot fairly combat the danger and so is forced to go into a situation where he may be killed through no particular lack of skill on his part. I suggest that one small thing be added to the game to help combat the issue. If a player is attempting to join a server, players in the immediate vicinity, and only within "X" distance of the joining player, should get some kind of audio and/or visual warning. What that warning could be is completely open for debate. I do not think the position should be specifically given away. That could create a whole new issue. Regardless, the person spawning in on a mil loot area should realize that they not only took a huge a risk by not finding a safer place to log out, but every player nearby will get warning of their arrival. 

In my opinion, this is the only way to combat the abuse, save some aspect of the immersion (depending on how the warning is chosen to be implemented), and aim for an experience that is at least slightly more fair for everyone involved. The spawner knows the risks, and the person playing is aware that someone just dropped in and that could be in a location that they have already assumed to be safe. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

There are a lot of opinions being tossed around here and I see merit on both sides. It's hard to know exactly what the right thing to do here is to combat the issues that the public hive present. I wasn't going to post at all, just read and see what people are saying, but the statement I quoted here really caught my attention.

I know there a lot of different playstyles and approaches to the game. Many people play to experience different things. No matter what your reasons for playing, I thing one thing that draws all of us the immersive aspect of DayZ. It adheres to a type of authenticity that largely does not exist in mainstream gaming today.

That said, I can't help but overwhelmingly agree with the this statement by the OP. Since the game is in alpha and the devs may have plans to rework a lot that will go towards fixing this kind of issue, I acknowledge that and don't want anyone to misconstrue this as a complaint. Rather, this is my feedback.

As the game is now, it amplifies the effect that abusive, exploitative behaviors that are rampant in any online game have on others. Like it or not, this game, at its' core, IS at least partially a shooter and, as a result, many terrible behaviors are going to come with that. Gamers have been learning how to stay alive in low TTK shooters for the last decade or more. The tactics they employ often have no regard for "the spirit of the game" and I wouldn't expect them to. It's up to the devs to combat these behaviors if they clash with the central design tenants of their game.

I really think that the way server hopping works now needs to be addressed. Even if you make all the right decisions about how to approach a situation and clear rooms properly, the random variable of another player spawning into high loot zones make those areas 1000x more of a danger than any other location where a player may spawn in. While you could make the argument that the player knows the danger when going into these areas, he cannot fairly combat the danger and so is forced to go into a situation where he may be killed through no particular lack of skill on his part. I suggest that one small thing be added to the game to help combat the issue. If a player is attempting to join a server, players in the immediate vicinity, and only within "X" distance of the joining player, should get some kind of audio and/or visual warning. What that warning could be is completely open for debate. I do not think the position should be specifically given away. That could create a whole new issue. Regardless, the person spawning in on a mil loot area should realize that they not only took a huge a risk by not finding a safer place to log out, but every player nearby will get warning of their arrival.

In my opinion, this is the only way to combat the abuse, save some aspect of the immersion (depending on how the warning is chosen to be implemented), and aim for an experience that is at least slightly more fair for everyone involved. The spawner knows the risks, and the person playing is aware that someone just dropped in and that could be in a location that they have already assumed to be safe.

Finally. Someone addresses the question posed. May the Sun Gods bless your soul.

Deleted - Some kind of weird double post resulting from an edit. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Read the damn post people, god, is it that hard?

Considering you keep editing "the damn post" every time someone points out yet another flaw in your logic, then yes - it is that hard.

The only things saltier than you right now are your tears of feeble internet rage.

• Like 1

Yet another post completely and absolutely missing the point. I can't make the post any more simple to make up for your narrowmindedness. People appearing out of nowhere and killing you in a room you checked is immersion breaking. It isnt about using a loot server. You obviously have no clue what the differences are. If any use of the Public hive is going to be frowned apon by ignorant people, then why use it.

I understand perfectly what your issue is.  You don't want people logging in next to you in a 'room you already cleared.'  But yet you server hop.  You don't want immersion to be broken.  This is mindbogglingly ridiculous.  The solution to your 'problem' is to play only on private servers.  It's so obvious to everyone but you.

Guess what.  The game is in alpha.  Because the game is in alpha, any argument based on immersion is automatically worthless.  They haven't even implemented everything yet.  It's not hard to understand. Don't be so narrowminded.

It's a terrible argument to begin with.  And you keep changing your original post.  And the community at large disagrees with you.  And it's a totally avoidable problem you're whining about.   Just play on private shards.  

And in my opinion, it's not immersion breaking.  It's how video games work.  You'll never be so immersed that you'll forget that you're playing a game.

Why not go on a high pop and gear up and then PvP? Oh wait... You can't, because the gear is gone. If you payed any attention to my posts you would know that. If you looked at my post that said I use 1 server regardless of the population, you would know that. When I picked that server, I picked low pop. Now I dont care what the pop is, I always loot on there.

Nonsense.  You don't need gear to pvp.  I jump on a high pop private server all the time with the intention of getting into newspawn fist fights.  That's pvp at its most balanced and finest.  I'll die many times, even to people who just spawn in carrying M4s, but that wouldn't justify running to the forums and crying about it.

A new spawn with a chambered CR75 can take down a fully kitted M4 dude.  Gear is irrelevant.

I understand perfectly what your issue is. You don't want people logging in next to you in a 'room you already cleared.' But yet you server hop. You don't want immersion to be broken. This is mindbogglingly ridiculous. The solution to your 'problem' is to play only on private servers. It's so obvious to everyone but you.

Guess what. The game is in alpha. Because the game is in alpha, any argument based on immersion is automatically worthless. They haven't even implemented everything yet. It's not hard to understand. Don't be so narrowminded.

It's a terrible argument to begin with. And you keep changing your original post. And the community at large disagrees with you. And it's a totally avoidable problem you're whining about. Just play on private shards.

And in my opinion, it's not immersion breaking. It's how video games work. You'll never be so immersed that you'll forget that you're playing a game.

Actually, the majority of posts on this thread have been insults and stupidly calling me a server hopper when their minds have no sense of the word. Using 1 server to start a character is not server hopping, get that through your brains. It may be exploitation to some, but if you call it server hopping, then respectfully, you have no clue what you are talking about. Because by that definition, ANY use of the public hive is server hopping.

PS, only 1 edit changed the words, and that was the low pop server because apparently everyone jumps to conclusions when you mention low-pop servers. The only thing this thread proves is how horrible and just plain mean some of the members on these forums are. I was immediately attacked on posting this, and still am being attacked. These people (should I say kiddies?) apparently have low enough self esteem to insult rather than provide conjecture. It only shows complete immaturity on their part, and now I understand why everyone says the DayZ community is so bad.

Edited by InsaneRuffles

I posted because magically appearing people are a problem as they can pop up anywhere.

Every time you join your server, do you not magically appear into it?

You're getting flamed because you're complaining about something that is simply just the nature of the game.

Regardless, the devs already plan to combat what you describe. You're beating a dead horse.

Every time you join your server, do you not magically appear into it?

You're getting flamed because you're complaining about something that is simply just the nature of the game.

Regardless, the devs already plan to combat what you describe. You're beating a dead horse.

I created the topic expecting people to act civilized and talk about if it breaks immersion or not, and ideas of how it can be combatted. Of course its gonna be taken care of, but how?

This does not warrant the hate that these people are giving. God forbid someone has an opinion they want to share on a forums for sharing opinions...

So basically, you think server hopping kills immersion. You admitted to hopping your self. I just don't get the point your trying to make OP.

For now there are no deterrents in place to prevent or discourage this way of playing (server hopping).

Hopefully in the future we will see something implemented.

Successively longer log out timers the more servers you switch in a short period of time could do it.

Switch once in 30 minutes a 60 second timer appears, again in the next 30 minutes a 5 minute timer appears, a 3rd time in the next 30 minutes brings a 10 minute timer, and after a 15 minute time out is accumulated you are locked out for an hour with a visible warning and your activity log is brought to the attention of an admin.

Something like this that is fair may be difficult to implement but I do believe there must be a way to reduce or do away with server hopping all together.

This would not  be fair unless we could really put the hammer down on loot-farming admins who kick all players on reset.  I have been kicked from four different non-persistent servers in a matter of minutes in this last week.  If I could stick to one persistent server and have even the faintest hope of surviving the first hour, I would; but the loot economy is badly broken now.

I generally use one Pers:ON server as a supply dump and motor pool, and  then run with friends on Pers:OFF servers.  If I die, I log back in on a non-pesristent server to have a hope of finding enough to survive.  When I make it back to a stash/truck, I will change over to my 'home server'.  I frequent multiple "OFF" servers in any given week, but use just one persistent server for storage and certain transportation.  If the game wasn't designed to be played by server-hopping for loot, the devs wouldn't be planning on making the rarity of ceratin public hive items less than 1:1, per server.

As I understand it, server-hopping for rare helicopter parts, and raiding other clan's servers was part of the vision laid down by Dean Himself, from the start of this project.  I would much rather have a game where each server was completely self-contained and self-sufficient, but apparrently Bohemia's vision of realism and authenticity involves interdimensional heists.

If you refuse to public server-hop on moral grounds, that is your perogative, but please don't go complaining about losing when you have brough a knife to a gunfight; at a gunfight arena of all places.

...is not one of them.

Edit: Not picking on you here, BioHaze, it just seems that you make the only decent arguments that aren't drowning in unnecessary insults.

What if someone does not want to PVP per se?  I like to have a mission, be it an escort/taxi pickup, race to strip gear off a friend who died from startling a truck too close to a tree, searching for a specific item, finding a pair of working radios to scare newspawns with, helicopter hunting...

Sometimes we will run up and down the western corridor ISO AK 101 mags. Checked every place they are likely to spawn, not interested in ruining someone elses day ten different times-- just to see if they have the one thing you are looking for, and that it hasn't been ruined by your procurement methods.  Is it wrong to choose a new server and run all the way back from balota to NW?  The game was designed to be exploited in this way.

But there is still the problem of mitigating someone popping into existence behind you, in a place that you physically cleared, less that one minute prior to getting the death screen.

Edited by emuthreat

I'm glad you appreciate my ability to debate without too much flaming.

I do not come to DayZ for PvP, ever.

The only times I find myself in a firefight are when I am fired upon first.

Sometimes I die because I believe a guy is friendly, sometimes I don't.

I don't really care if I die.... we're going to get wiped very often at this stage anyway.

I'm interested in the random experience and killing zombies (yay zombies are coming back!).

I personally don't need all the military gear but I'm very satisfied when I "organically" find it.

-snip- be it an escort/taxi pickup, race to strip gear off a friend who died from startling a truck too close to a tree, searching for a specific item, finding a pair of working radios to scare newspawns with, helicopter hunting... -snip-

I've pretty much done all of this without exploiting the global hive (in the mod).

I did change servers a couple of times in the mod to find vehicle parts but only after a very thorough search of nearly all the possible locations for said part.

COUNTLESS times I have scoured prime loot locations just to find them picked clean and COUNTLESS times I've moved on to another town to continue my search.

I created the topic expecting people to act civilized

This does not warrant the hate that these people are giving. 

Really dude?  You can't expect people to act civilized when you are not.  Let's review some quotes by you in this very thread.

Read the damn post people, god, is it that hard? Are you illiterate?

Oh look, another illiterate who cant read. Please move along.

This only proves how terrible some of the people on these forums are. Get off your high-horses and enough with the BS elitist attitude.

I can't make the post any more simple to make up for your narrowmindedness.

If you payed any attention to my posts you would know that.

Finally. Someone addresses the question posed. May the Sun Gods bless your soul.

You can't talk this way and expect your thread to remain civilized.  It's pretty hard to sway someone into your line of thinking by insulting them in the above ways.

Your idea of server hopping has been carefully sculpted to exclude yourself, somehow.  What you're doing is server hopping.  Even if you think you are doing it in an honorable way.  Still server hopping.

• Like 1

Really dude? You can't expect people to act civilized when you are not. Let's review some quotes by you in this very thread.

You can't talk this way and expect your thread to remain civilized. It's pretty hard to sway someone into your line of thinking by insulting them in the above ways.

Your idea of server hopping has been carefully sculpted to exclude yourself, somehow. What you're doing is server hopping. Even if you think you are doing it in an honorable way. Still server hopping.

Im not even going to argue about server hopping because its obvious you dont understand what it means. Read the thread again. Who started throwing insults first? Feel like a hypocrite yet?

Edited by InsaneRuffles

Im not even going to argue about server hopping because its obvious you dont understand what it means. Read the thread again. Who started throwing insults first? Feel like a hypocrite yet?

Wait, you want me to re-read -this- thread to understand what server hopping means?  Laughable.

Server hopping is logging off of one server and jumping onto another.  That's it!  Your definition of server hopping has been tailor made to make it seem what you do is okay.

No,  I don't feel like a hypocrite.  If I have said anything to insult you then I'm sorry.  In fact, I challenge you to point to any post where I've said anything to attack you and not your posts.

This is the thread YOU started.  It's your responsibility to keep it civil if you want it to stay that way.  People understand exactly what you've said and reply appropriately.  Yet you seem to attack people for not agreeing with you.

Wait, you want me to re-read -this- thread to understand what server hopping means? Laughable.

Server hopping is logging off of one server and jumping onto another. That's it! Your definition of server hopping has been tailor made to make it seem what you do is okay.

No, I don't feel like a hypocrite. If I have said anything to insult you then I'm sorry. In fact, I challenge you to point to any post where I've said anything to attack you and not your posts.

This is the thread YOU started. It's your responsibility to keep it civil if you want it to stay that way. People understand exactly what you've said and reply appropriately. Yet you seem to attack people for not agreeing with you.

No, reread the thread and see who started throwing insults. I stayed civilized until it became too much. Server hopping, defined, by the majority of players, is jumping multiple servers in a short amount of time to loot.