Sign in to follow this  
Dagwood

Weapon degradation

My M4 mysteriously went from worn to damaged. Was unable to hit a player at 75 meters moments before and assumed I was just too drunk to aim.

Question: does anyone have any input or knowledge on how much damaged weaponry affects weapon accuracy?

Just tested a bit of 0.54 after a long pause and didn t have even noticed that now guns degrade, i guess now cleaning kits have a purpose.

Edited by KamiOfKOS

I don't, but all I'll say is that weapons damage way too easily in .54.. Not only that, but a repair on the weapon shouldn't just take it back to "worn" (maybe add a new category of 'like new'?), if "worn" to "damaged" is a mere 100 rounds.

Edited by treetop82

An M4 has "barrelArmor = 2400" and "spawnDamageMax = 0.6". The 5.56x45 has "barrelDamage = 3" and "damageBarrelDestroyed = 30".

So if we assume:

Pristine = 100%

Worn = 75%

Damaged = 50%

Badly damaged = 25%

Ruined = 0%

Then it would be 800 shots pristine to ruined and 200 shots per level when using pristine ammunition. But it appears the gun might spawn with anywhere from 40% to 100% health. Just speculation though.

• Like 1

A friend of mine fired an entire box of fifty .22 rounds out of a Trumpet and it stayed Pristine, so the rates of weapon damage are obviously in the early stages.

As for the M4,  it's not like a fully automatic military grade assault carbine is designed to withstand the immense punishment of...shooting bullets. 

There is a "BarrelArmor" value now but I am not sure whether or not it actually does something. As an alternative the handheld or magic slot could now apply damage and the weapon degraded when you were hit by a melee attack (as a ranged attack would have ruined it).

My guess is that they're eventually going to make it so you'll have to find new parts for every weapon (new barrel etc)

Yes indeed weapons degrade now so there's no point looking for a pristine M4 and such. I don't know if it affects accuracy or the weapon performance.

But I know I shot a CR75 (pistol) around 300~ bullets and it went down to Worn from pristine.

An M4 has "barrelArmor = 2400" and "spawnDamageMax = 0.6". The 5.56x45 has "barrelDamage = 3" and "damageBarrelDestroyed = 30".

So if we assume:

Pristine = 100%

Worn = 75%

Damaged = 50%

Badly damaged = 25%

Ruined = 0%

Then it would be 800 shots pristine to ruined and 200 shots per level when using pristine ammunition. But it appears the gun might spawn with anywhere from 40% to 100% health. Just speculation though.

Are you able to grab the plate carrier stats aswell? I was shot point blank in the belly with an M4 the distance was around 15-20m It was an intentional shot (so we were intentionally testing the vest) and I died instantly from one shot. Jacket and the vest were ruined, headgear and pants were fine.

Edited by Yazar8

Honestly, I don't usually fire my guns enough to notice... Maybe a few shot here and there when there's like 6 zombies or maybe another player or something.  Randomly I'll just spray a few magazines off into the distance for fun, cuz I usually conserve too much ammo to ever run out cuz I'm constantly searching for room.  But yeah, I've never even noticed that they degrade now.  I've only notice that the suppressors degrade over time, but I've never actually had one change more than one condition and I've fired a good many shots as I use suppressors usually on my zombie weapons, non-melee.   Also, things to make garden plots shouldn't ruin.  I've been using the same gardening tools for YEARS with little to no maintenance IRL and they still work just fine...  In game you make 4 plots and your shits ruined already. 

I don't, but all I'll say is that weapons damage way too easily in .54.. Not only that, but a repair on the weapon shouldn't just take it back to "worn" (maybe add a new category of 'like new'?), if "worn" to "damaged" is a mere 100 rounds.

Here dude i recently made a topic involving stuff like this. Put your input in if your interested. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/222343-possible-other-ways-to-fix-items-that-currently-cannot-be-repaired-yet/

Would also be nice if we could periodically clean a pristine weapon and it would remain pristine. I know IRL I clean my rifles and shotguns everytime I take them out to the range. That's why they stay nice. I don't wait until they start wearing out to do some maintenance. Thankfully we're in alpha and this will all change :)

Last night I had a worn M4, pristine BUIS sight, but a damaged MP buttstock.  Couldn't hit a guy hiding in the bushes in Lopatino that just shot at, and missed, my friend.  Aiming dead center mass at 100m and firing about 20 shots in 3 round bursts.  He got hit in the legs once and ran away.  I could tell he was hit in the legs because his pants were ruined after I fired.  Even with the damaged butt stock that should have been a kill.  It's not like I hit the barrel with a rock or anything. 

Sorry, less than 24 hours ago and I'm still a bit salty about it.

Are you able to grab the plate carrier stats aswell? I was shot point blank in the belly with an M4 the distance was around 15-20m It was an intentional shot (so we were intentionally testing the vest) and I died instantly from one shot. Jacket and the vest were ruined, headgear and pants were fine.

AFAIK, the plate carrier provides NO protection at all, despite the description.

Cleaning kits shouldn't restore weapon condition, they should only decrease the rate of degradation. Clean regularly and you can get 5k+ rounds out of a pristine barrel (10k+ if its Nitride/Melonite/QPQ treated). No cleaning and you're likely to have malfunctions and faster barrel wear.

AFAIK, the plate carrier provides NO protection at all, despite the description.

Are they assumed to have plates in them? Or are they not fully implemented and planned to have removable plates?

Really hope they go with a two pronged approach when it comes to weapon condition.

1. Weapon mechanical condition = determines the guns ultimate accurate cannot be improved

2. Weapon cleanness = More foul the weapon is the worse its accuracy can be cleaned and restored to the best possible accuracy out of the gun mechanically but it sitll falls within the weapons mechanical accuracy. 

Really hope they go with a two pronged approach when it comes to weapon condition.

1. Weapon mechanical condition = determines the guns ultimate accurate cannot be improved

2. Weapon cleanness = More foul the weapon is the worse its accuracy can be cleaned and restored to the best possible accuracy out of the gun mechanically but it sitll falls within the weapons mechanical accuracy.

Now that's interesting. Guns found in houses/military locations should have high mechanical, and guns that spawn on the ground in some places (when they do) should have med to low.

Now that's interesting. Guns found in houses/military locations should have high mechanical, and guns that spawn on the ground in some places (when they do) should have med to low.

Not necessarily. People who train with their guns regularly can wear them out in a few years. Proper maintenance doesn't prevent wear and deterioration from use, it just slows it down. If you happen across some collectors safe queen, then yeah.. it'd be pristine. But here in the US, you'd be just as likely to find a safe queen as you would find someones wore out primary 2 gun competition rifle.

Edited by Evil Koala

Being indoors would not guarantee a weapon being pristine.

Say someone had a brand new mosin and shot a dozen rounds of corrosive ammo then kept it in storage for 50 years after not cleaning it well enough.

The outside of the rifle would be new but the barrel would be pitted and pretty bad.