Sign in to follow this  
Judged_Guitly

Watching you watching me?

Hey guys,

I watched this video the other day and it made me curious about something? The video is a DayZ contest where a bunch of players compete in a death match style game until there’s only one team left, but what has me intrigued was the commentator’s perspective. It seems they had the ability to move around the map and view the action from any position. Not only from top down but also from the players view. It’s like they had noclip, fly mode and a 1PP bot all in one.  My question here is can an admin do this on a server he is hosting? If I were to host a server can I scroll around in this fashion and watch whatever is taking place on my map? Do the hosts of the servers we join have this capability?  

FFW to 9:15 for beginning of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr5APcOclLE

Nope. Just special circumstances here. Lots of twitch streamers and youtubers.

Smak and Cal (guys voicing the games) likely were given special privileges.

Normal server host can't and shouldn't be able to do this

As I understand they had special tools allowed by the dev team for survivor games. It's not something a normal, legit admin can do

As I understand they had special tools allowed by the dev team for survivor games. It's not something a normal, legit admin can do

yet.

The next Survivor Gamez, I believe is this weekend.

Incidentally I remember watching one of my fav streams and he glitched into a birds eye view of the map, similar to the spectate view from SGZ. The streamer was a bird that could fly anywhere and listen in on players. We were all wondering if it would be a feature to be used later.

The feature is spectate mode used in other games, and it should be ok for admins to use it. Just I wouldn't put it on public servers.

Private admins controlling their own servers. You don't like it don't play there.

No admin should be able to use spectator mode IMO. It's too open for abuse and easily used by admins in a clan to directly point out to their friends where enemies are and what they are doing.

No way do I think this should ever be accessible for anyone outside of things like the Survivor Games or if a server is empty in which case using this could enable creation of cinematics for Youtube content creators.

The next Survivor Gamez, I believe is this weekend.

Qualyfiers will be on Sunday, 9PM GMT, the next finals will be in April.

http://www.twitch.tv/survivorgamez

And yes, a special build of the game was provided for SGZ. There are no plans to implement any special feature in the actual game. ( To understand this better: one of the inventors of the DayZ SurvivorGameZ is a guy called Brian Hicks :-) )

Edited by ChainReactor

They also had serversided code that was sending messages. It was probably an external server. A different build.

No admin should be able to use spectator mode IMO. It's too open for abuse and easily used by admins in a clan to directly point out to their friends where enemies are and what they are doing.

No way do I think this should ever be accessible for anyone outside of things like the Survivor Games or if a server is empty in which case using this could enable creation of cinematics for Youtube content creators.

Admins should be able to spectate whoever the hell they want.  That's why they are admins.  In other games, if you're suspected of cheating you get spectated.  If you're suspected of exploiting bugs, you get spectated.  If you're suspected of doing something you're not supposed to, you get spectated.  I would rather have an admin able to spectate, kick and ban A-holes than have a server full of A-holes, because the admins can't do shit about it.

yet.

until mods are released

then hax

in the original dayz mod admins could see where you were, what kit you had, move you, spawn you loot, teleport a car to you, teleport you to a car. 

they could see all the players locations on a map as well as their blood, too.

Edited by Wookieenoob

Dude, this is amazing... I need to watch this in entirety later. I didn't realize the Survivor GameZ had such great coverage that we could go back and watch.

Admins should be able to spectate whoever the hell they want.  That's why they are admins.  In other games, if you're suspected of cheating you get spectated.  If you're suspected of exploiting bugs, you get spectated.  If you're suspected of doing something you're not supposed to, you get spectated.  I would rather have an admin able to spectate, kick and ban A-holes than have a server full of A-holes, because the admins can't do shit about it.

And what if the admin is not a legit player? You have just opened the whole player list to the admin so they can see what is going on with everyone.

There are all ready enough clan servers and badmins where the server gets reset if they die or to farm loot. The last thing I want is for an admin to also be able to see exactly where I am on the map, what I can see on my screen and what I am doing at that moment so that he can tell his friends how best to kill me or simply do it himself.

There are other ways admins should be able to monitor what happens without the need for a spectator mode, it's far too open to exploitation IMO.

• Like 1

And what if the admin is not a legit player? You have just opened the whole player list to the admin so they can see what is going on with everyone.

There are all ready enough clan servers and badmins where the server gets reset if they die or to farm loot. The last thing I want is for an admin to also be able to see exactly where I am on the map, what I can see on my screen and what I am doing at that moment so that he can tell his friends how best to kill me or simply do it himself.

There are other ways admins should be able to monitor what happens without the need for a spectator mode, it's far too open to exploitation IMO.

Who cares if the admin isn't a legit player?  He pays for the server, not you.  It's more important that the overwhelming majority of non-douchebag admins aren't helpless against the thousands and thousands of cheaters out there.  Worrying over maybe 10 servers because their admins are jokes isn't really a valid reason to make such a decision. 

Out of curiosity, how are the admins to know if anyone is suspicious? Players identities are annonomised util you check their pulse, there are no name tags popping up over people's heads, there's no way to report suspicious behaviour to the admin immediately. It just seems like a massive call to say 'my spider sense is tingling, I think there's someone duping gear or scripting on my server. I know, let me take a look through the eyes of all 39 players just in case something is amiss!'

Or, is it more likely that as an admin is running around and gets shot at he'd think 'oh crap, where's that coming from? Let me just check out on my magic map of player positions... Aha, there in that woods it's someone in a ghillie suit. Fortunately the map also talks me the range to him...'

I think it's clear we highly disagree with the concept of this as a tool or ability the admins should have. I personally don't wish to see it ever implemented, I think there are alternative solutions (be it more accurate server logs/improved BE etc) that would be less exploitable by admins. I also disagree with the idea that because someone is paying for a public hive server that they should be able to do anything they want on it, if they want to impose rules and restrictions and have free reign over the way the server is run then go private, just my opinion.

This is interesting. I just assumed admins had this capability or a similar way of monitoring their maps. The other day I logged into a server and while I was getting my 60 second countdown a voice came over my headphones saying "player (called me out by my ingame name), log off this server immediately or you will be killed. I will give you 10 seconds to comply", and then started counting down. I canceled out and continued my adventure on a different server with no harm done. At first I was pissed because I didn't think it was right for someone to host a public server but threaten new arrivals but after thinking about it for a while I guess it was a decent gesture allowing me time to get out without loosing all my gear.  I assumed it was the server admin and he had to have a special monitoring ability to call me out before I even logged in. Any ideas on how this was done?

It just seems like a massive call to say 'my spider sense is tingling, I think there's someone duping gear or scripting on my server. I know, let me take a look through the eyes of all 39 players just in case something is amiss!'

This is exactly what's needed. and an ability to keep a permanent 'local' banlist. I wish more admins would actively police/spectate and Perma-ban people who are obviously exploiting glitches, Hacking, or even breaking server rules for that matter. If you don't like this play on an 'official' server and not a rented one. or man up and foot the bill yourself. they pay the server up-keep they have an absolute right to be god, judge, and jury imho.