Sike (DayZ)

Does DayZ need aeiral transport?

Do you want to see aerial transport in DayZ  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see aerial transport in DayZ

• No - I want to keep DayZ on terra firma/assorted bodies of water
    • Yes - I want to see all kinds of aerial vehicles
    • Yes - But I want to only see transports (no gunships)
    • Yes - But I want to only see limited transports (no heli-hunting door gunners)
    • I just want a parachute to stop me from breaking my legs!
  2. 2. If you clicked No, why?

• Aerial vehicles feel unnatural and don't fit the overall theme
    • Aerial vehicles are overpowering and too unfair for those not lucky enough to find one
    • Dev time could be better spent elsewhere
    • Other - Say in comments
    • I didn't vote no
  3. 3. If you clicked Yes, why?

• Chernarus is too big just to have land vehicles
    • Teamplay possibilities make it too good not to have
    • The mod had it so the stand alone should have it too
    • Other - Say in comments
    • I didn't vote yes

Um, not to burst your bubble. There is a "reload" hotkey in DayZ and if you have a gun that uses mags, speedloaders, or clips for those that use them(Mosin/SKS) you tap the button and  you reload. You can then top off your mag or reload your empty clip/speedloader. 

-snip-

Correct, and it was purposefully left that you had to "hand load" guns that do not have mags/clips and when you reload a mag/clip it's done by drag and drop.

It's no where near like every other game where you just bash a key and magically have a fresh full mag from your enormous ammo pile with click-click sound.

I flew planes in the mod and you are incorrect. There are hundreds of places you can actually land small planes and things like gyrocopters around Chernarus. Pick a stretch of highway that doesn't have electrical poles alongside it and there you go. There are also many fields that work as well.

I'm not doubting that you did but I was talking about a single engine Cessna and how it would go down in a realistic scenario. Since there is no actual difference between roads and someone's field that they plowed other than texture you can essentially make anything your runway no matter how ridiculous. Hell you could land an airplane in 5 feet of water and notice no discernible difference going off ARMA2.

My argument in a nutshell is this game could handle helicopters since their interaction with terrain is very limited but can't handle airplanes in any way that will satisfy even people with the most limited knowledge of physics.

I am surprised at how many people said no. Does no one remember the Hueys from the mod and how much fun they were

• Like 1

I would love to see aerial vehicles in Chernarus but to a certain extent. Make aerial vehicle spawns at the airports only, not random places all around the map like the mod. Make the vehicles simple rotor planes and helicopters, maybe an old soviet jet at NWAF. I would hate to see huge helictopers with miniguns or grenade launchers roaming around the airspace of Chernarus.

we need this in the game

and if we dont get this i want this
Edited by DAYZPLAYER80
  • Like 1

Voted for no. One the one hand it would be a nice end game part, but the map is too small and the advantage would be too huge.
If they add aerial vehicles, it should be really small. Autogyros, ultra light one seater,... like others have suggested.

Hot air balloons are my favorits :)

I'd like to see basic helicopters - eg 2 seaters? and small planes. I feel these would fit the setting well.

Eastern-bloc aircraft only (simply because you're more likely to reasonably find spare parts) and I'm open to seeing aerial vehicles in the game. This will just add a new dimension to play. I don't want to see them everywhere but I think having a couple per server would make things interesting. I think I'd like to see some sort of boat first but not too bothered one way or the other.

Getting around isn't that hard. It's a small map. In a V3S you can get from one side to the other in like 10 minutes. I'm assuming they'll be adding more vehicles like cars, suv's. I'd like to see a couple usable boats spawn at the docks so you can get to the islands. They don't even have to be powered, like a canoes or sea kayaks so long as you could also stop rowing to shoot. 

I'd much rather see them add some large cargo/troop transport planes which have crashed. Imagine running through the woods and stumbling into hoard of 50 zombies wondering around a crash site littered with AK's, armour, ammunition. etc.

Also why are there no broken down aircraft on the airfields? There should be dozens of aircraft parked/crashed on the runways. If it was the apocalypse, those sites would have been in chaos as people tried to leave.

Just for the sake of realism, how many people would even know how to start up a helicopter/plane let alone fly one?

In my opinion: No, Day Z does not need aerial transport, mainly for three reasons.

1) It makes an already-small map even smaller. In the V3S, you can go from corner-to-corner on the map in about 10 minutes. A helicopter or plane would cut this down even smaller

2) Realism. Anyone who knew how to fly a plane/helicoper is either dead or out of Chernarus by now. Both planes and helicopters, even small ones, care complex things that require some pretty hefty licensing to learn how to operate. Something that, unless your group is so organized you have a nation-state level surplus of food, fuel, time, and most importantly, people, you probably won't be able to "afford"

3) More realism. Who here knows how to repair a helicopter? Or a small plane? Cars and trucks make sense to include because mostly everyone understands how they run and if need be, can "guestimate" how to fix them if need be. Not even counting actual mechanics. Helicopters and planes? Not so much. Like above, anyone who knew is probably either dead or out of Chernarus by now.

In my opinion: No, Day Z does not need aerial transport, mainly for three reasons.

1) It makes an already-small map even smaller. In the V3S, you can go from corner-to-corner on the map in about 10 minutes. A helicopter or plane would cut this down even smaller

2) Realism. Anyone who knew how to fly a plane/helicoper is either dead or out of Chernarus by now. Both planes and helicopters, even small ones, care complex things that require some pretty hefty licensing to learn how to operate. Something that, unless your group is so organized you have a nation-state level surplus of food, fuel, time, and most importantly, people, you probably won't be able to "afford"

3) More realism. Who here knows how to repair a helicopter? Or a small plane? Cars and trucks make sense to include because mostly everyone understands how they run and if need be, can "guestimate" how to fix them if need be. Not even counting actual mechanics. Helicopters and planes? Not so much. Like above, anyone who knew is probably either dead or out of Chernarus by now.

Pretty much.

Having choppers would be such a drastic change compared to the current low tech more survival gameplay direction they seem to be heavily invested in.

So it will be such a huge and drastic parallel from the deep survival aspects in the game to players somehow magically knowing how to repair and fly choppers.

This is not even touching the negative gameplay implications helos would have either. Such as being able to easily and effortlessly traverse the map and being able to spot every single resource with almost no risk.

Edited by gibonez

I voted "Give me a parachute" jokingly thinking it would be cool to have hang gliders like in Cube World (did anybody here play that game?)

I am all for aerial transportation, but as stated above countless times; the time/player investment into fixing up a helicopter should be massive. Just imagine, rumour on your server spreads that there is finally a functioning chopper flying around. Countless fun and adventures could be had from that.

My main concern is the size of the current Chernarus map. Considering a player on foot can travel from Kamenka to NWAF within 25 minutes; I question the need for aerial transportation. Unless of course the KMof Chernarus is expanded. (Maybe more islands S and E, with more land W and N?)

Cheers,

Act III

put one helo in the game, that wierd ass one from the dayz mod. have them spawn at the nw and ne airfields. put more trucks on the coast but make it so they have to be repaired to be used. make guns jam, and explode if not properly maintained.

Just for the sake of realism, how many people would even know how to start up a helicopter/plane let alone fly one?

Several.

Several.

You must be special then.

Helicopter flying lessons are amongst one of the most expensive things to learn and it is so costly that it is having the DOD rethink its GI bill.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-helicopters-20150327-story.html#page=1

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-me-adv-gibill-20150315-story.html#page=2

Helicopter flying is costing the Federal Government over 300k a year for some veterans.

This is for the worlds wealthiest nation combine and even then knowing someone taking flight lessons or knowing how to fly is extremely rare.

Now in eastern europe good luck with that.

Back when I started playing the mod I was a complete noob (obviously). I was very impressed with my experience of the game and was constantly finding new and cool things to do. It took me about 1 month of playing to even realize that you could go find and fix up helicopters due to not even seeing one at all during that month of playing. I remember hearing a few random reports of helicopters and thinking it was just made up by some smug bandit that was leading fresh spawns astray. Once I began to mission it to the Helicopter locations with a buddy I found on my travels and later with friends on team speak the game started to open up beyond my expectations. I think that standalone should have the same scope as far as end game content, however, It should be a very mighty task to take control of your very own Helicopter. As far as guns on the thing go, for some reason I can't see that happening but I would be all for it. The game borrows a lot from ARMA 2 so why not leave the guns on the heli's as a tribute to the ARMA 2 play-style and the mod.

I can't believe that this is even a discussion.

Of course there should be helicopters, just like in the mod. Sometimes I think people are too quick to throw away the mod, where this great game began.

If you want something different you don't want DayZ, so go elsewhere.

1 Huey, 1 Mi17 and 1 AH6 per server.

I

Sometimes I think people are too quick to throw away the mod, where this great game began.

Or people simply do not want Arma 2 with zombies like the mod was as a result of using assets from a Military simulator.

Maybe they want Dayz Standalone to be its own unique product and one surefire way to do that is to not make it Arma 2 with zombies.

• Like 2