Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Don't spawn magazines with ammo

I like the SKS. Not long ago I had 10 rounds loaded, an extra 10 in a stripper clip and then another 4 rounds loose. It's enough ammo, and would do me well in a pinch, but I couldn't go around shooting zombies and deer all willy nilly. It was important to conserve ammunition.

Then I looted a barracks. I found a couple of guns and an assault vest, the usual stuff, but I also found two 30rnd AK mags and a 75rnd drum. A rummage through a single building got me from 24 rounds to 159. Excuse me while I go kill everyone on the server 3 times and still have some spare.

Magazines having some ammo is absolutely fine, and I've no problem with small magazines (pistols, for example) being full or mostly full, but when there are 30rnd and 75rnd magazines, any ammo conservation becomes pointless. It takes a lot away from the game in my humble opinion.

The same goes for boxes of ammo. Finding 20 rounds of mosin or SKS ammo can set a player up for life if they're careful with it. That being the case I propose that either boxes of ammo become far, far less common or that they contain a random amount of ammo. You don't know if you've got cobwebs or a magazine's worth until you empty the box.

Ideally (and I've said this before in other threads) ammo boxes will be extremely rare, but loose ammo will become extremely common. It should be relatively easy to find, say 1- 5 rounds at a time, but you'll be unlikely to find anything in bulk. Players would have to work harder for their ammo and, ultimately, would probably have less making for a tenser experience.

Of course I realise that loot hasn't been balanced yet, but it's a thought I wanted to express.

• Like 4

I agree, I don't see why every magazine,clip,snaploader, and box of ammo is full kinda unrealistic. I agree w you on magazines they should always be empty or have some ammo inside why else would the russians leave them in the barracks as well as police stations and other spawn locations but some can still spawn full but just rarer than finding empty. Same with the ammo boxes. I don't think they should be empty most of the time but have some ammo gone. I have suggestions as well, have .45 acp, 9mm, and 7×39 rounds(aka SKS rounds) spawn in civilian locations they are definitely used for civilian guns especially the 9mm and 45 acp. if SKS rounds spawn in civilian locations make the ammo spawning there rare and have SKS spawn less than usuall(I've looted all of cherno and seen about 40 SKS in the entire city counting the 6 guys I killed with a akm).9mm and 45 acp is an average spawn rate .

I don't care if the magazines are empty, or not, so long as we can find one, once in a while. Tonight I got attacked by a zed and he ruined my vest and magnum. For some reason, I couldn't find another magnum, but I did find a dozen Makarovs, four 1911s, a CZ75 and a P1. At one point I was carrying a Makarov, 1911 and a CZ75 for a couple of hours, just waiting to see which magazine I would stumble across. Finally I got adgitated and went to the NWAF, where I found five Makarov magazines and a pile of loose .380.

Somewhere in the woods, near NWAF there is now a 1911 with a silencer, a CZ75 and several boxes each of .357, 9mm and .45ACP.

Not sure you'll feel this way when infected numbers rise.

Did you play the mod?

i feel the same OP with added zed numbers or not a 75rnd drum shouldn't always spawn full neither should mags in my opinion. i would also like to see quality actually count for ammo like if its damaged it might jam and you have to reload or something. and i did play the mod there were times when i could go around looting and not fire a shot i used stealth. since that really isn't an option here i can only say gonna have to play smarter and if you don't have the rounds or the people you might have to wait till your better equipped before you go into areas booming with zeds. i actually embrace the idea that i might not be able to go where i want due to the risk of death by zeds that's when i know we got a real zed game on our hands.

Edited by gannon46

Not sure you'll feel this way when infected numbers rise.

Did you play the mod?

I played the mod, and I feel there is far too much ammo.

From zombies I ran and hid, in a pinch I may have needed to shoot a couple of zombies. But honestly, ammo isn't something that should be common.

There also needs to be more types of ammo and you can chamber some incorrect rounds, damaging your weapon different amounts, jamming or just not firing, meaning a bit of gun knowledge gets you further in an emergency situation.

I don't want this game to be simple, it's meant to be the game where if you don't know something you can pay dearly for it.

I agree that there is too much ammo currently.

My only point there was that when we have more infected, you'll probably wish you had more bullets....

I agree that there is too much ammo currently.

My only point there was that when we have more infected, you'll probably wish you had more bullets....

Then you either run away from the infected, or avoid them entirely.

Not the game's fault if you decided to go derp through Elektro (and its 200 infected) without proper planning or equipment

^Who are you talking to Whyherro123?

Can you hack into my game in progress and watch me play?

:facepalm:

Fucking A, man.

Uh, you? Considering how I quoted you and all, figuring that out should not be rocket science.

You don't need more bullets to deal with a higher number of infected, you actually need to use that wet noodle between your ears. 

And, considering how you can watch friends games in-progress with the Steam streaming-feature (I forget what it is called), it is entirely possible that I could watch you play. If we were friends, of course.

Uh, you? Considering how I quoted you and all, figuring that out should not be rocket science.

You don't need more bullets to deal with a higher number of infected, you actually need to use that wet noodle between your ears. 

And, considering how you can watch friends games in-progress with the Steam streaming-feature (I forget what it is called), it is entirely possible that I could watch you play. If we were friends, of course.

I guess your sarcasm detector is on the Fritz then.

If you think I was "not using my wet noodle" when I somehow survived 30+ days/1,000+ zombies (+50% headshot ratio) in the mod, please let me know.

Amazing how you can project a fictional way that I play a video game and then say something like, "And, considering how you can watch friends games in-progress with the Steam streaming-feature (I forget what it is called), it is entirely possible that I could watch you play. If we were friends, of course.", to somehow back it up?

:facepalm:

I do not agree with this idea. Not because it is stupid, it is more realistic yes and could be more intresting to find ammo. But this game is already very very hard with guns using a specific caliber that you can chamber in a specifc magasine... Finding some magasine full of ammo is very rewarding in my opinion.

My name is Steve Brule and today I'm joined by Brump Brumpus to talk to us about bumping posts.

In time.

The current state of ammunitions and magazines are just placeholders.

True, but it still bears discussion.

As long as its possible to melee or run from zombies and actually have the ability to lose them (and not morph through walls to get you when youre hiding) Then im fine with less ammo.

But increase zombies, make them harder to kill to the point that you NEED a gun, and make it so that you cant legitimately escape from them, the yes more ammo plz.

Edited by cash81

As long as its possible to melee or run from zombies and actually have the ability to lose them (and not morph through walls to get you when youre hiding) Then im fine with less ammo.

But increase zombies, make them harder to kill to the point that you NEED a gun, and make it so that you cant legitimately escape from them, the yes more ammo plz.

I disagree that zombies should be difficult to kill. They should be extremely easy to kill. Their strength, however, should be in numbers. You average survivor should be able to engage small groups in melee, but should be easily overwhelmed once they're facing more than, say, 5 at once.

Individually they should be very easy to kill, just so freshspawns aren't screwed if they happen to pick up a straggler.

Also, I'm hoping the melee combat system will be improved immensely. No doubt it will be.

I disagree that zombies should be difficult to kill. They should be extremely easy to kill. Their strength, however, should be in numbers. You average survivor should be able to engage small groups in melee, but should be easily overwhelmed once they're facing more than, say, 5 at once.

Individually they should be very easy to kill, just so freshspawns aren't screwed if they happen to pick up a straggler.

Also, I'm hoping the melee combat system will be improved immensely. No doubt it will be.

I dont think they want them to be easy tho. They keep saying they are infected humans not the undead so they dont want them to be slow easy targets like zombie movies. they also dont want it to be just another zombie slaughter fest. So im thinking they are getting buffed. Which is fine as long as the means to survive against them are realistic. I dont mind having to flee from 10 zombies, as long as i dont break my leg jumping off the 2nd to last step, or have all of them know exactly what room im in from the 5th floor of an apartment building as well as knowing the exact route to get there.

I dont think they want them to be easy tho. They keep saying they are infected humans not the undead so they dont want them to be slow easy targets like zombie movies. they also dont want it to be just another zombie slaughter fest. So im thinking they are getting buffed. Which is fine as long as the means to survive against them are realistic. I dont mind having to flee from 10 zombies, as long as i dont break my leg jumping off the 2nd to last step, or have all of them know exactly what room im in from the 5th floor of an apartment building as well as knowing the exact route to get there.

Yeah that's fair. I suppose faster zombies are usually weaker while slow ones are usually tougher. Fast, tough zombies sounds like a nightmare ;D a fun nightmare, mind, provided it's not too difficult to get away from them or - better - hide.

In either case (back on topic) it'd be better if we couldn't find ammunition in such large quantities. I'm fine with a large amount of ammo being dispersed over a wide area, but I'm not such a fan of instantly finding 75 rounds for the same gun. 

In either case (back on topic) it'd be better if we couldn't find ammunition in such large quantities. I'm fine with a large amount of ammo being dispersed over a wide area, but I'm not such a fan of instantly finding 75 rounds for the same gun. 

Agreed. But in keeping with realism. SKS/AKM rounds are very often sold by the crate. Usually containing 1200 or so rounds in two 600 round tins. (give or take). As well as .22 ammo that often comes in bricks or buckets of 500-555.

i would find it hard to imagine to come across a SINGLE box of 20 7.62x39 rounds. or a single box of 50 .22s. when those types of ammo are very often sold in bulk.

Agreed. But in keeping with realism. SKS/AKM rounds are very often sold by the crate. Usually containing 1200 or so rounds in two 600 round tins. (give or take). As well as .22 ammo that often comes in bricks or buckets of 500-555.

i would find it hard to imagine to come across a SINGLE box of 20 7.62x39 rounds. or a single box of 50 .22s. when those types of ammo are very often sold in bulk.

Gameplay has to trump realism, though. In reality armories are filled with rack upon rack of guns, but to include that in the game would be detrimental. I'm not against finding the occasional box of ammo, but it seems that boxes are at least as common as loose ammo which shouldn't really be the case.

Bulk .22 and even shotgun shells is something I have less of a problem with (especially .22) as it would encourage players to use those weapons over more powerful ones for which ammunition is less available. As it stands I'm able to ditch my sporter (if I even bother picking one up) because I know that I can very easily find a mosin and several boxes of ammo by looking in the right buildings - which sort of links in to another thread.