r4z0r49

DayZ Mod Development Branch - 20a57cf

Please don't give players a Makarov and 2 mags upon start. It just feels wrong as so many lol servers do the same. This game should be about scavenging and surviving. 

I might be wrong here but I just don't see the point.

actually, someone on our TS came up with a very good point, vanilla used to grant us a makorov. It is a false sense of security if used unwisely with so little ammo, but you can instantly defend yourselves from somebody with gear you happen to bump into.

It should also increase player interaction if they desire it, hear a makorov shooting, and you can go investigate. Could be someone who needs help, could be a murder in progress.

• Like 3

No sign from my contacts to push an update to the dev branch :-( sorry guys.

^^ THIS! The terror of needing to find a melee weapon before being effective at defending yourself from zombies is great. I hate modded servers that spawn you with pistols. An alternative would possibly be upping the spawn rate of Makarovs in residential areas?

Also, while I completely disagree that sidearms are not useful (I frequently use the M9SD, love the flashlight on the G17, and sometimes kill zombies with unsilenced pistols when I don't have bandages and don't want to risk getting hit while melee killing them), I do think it would be a good thing to increase their damage. Not so drastically that they become an alternative to getting a shotgun or rifle, but enough that they're worth using against other players. Having some sort of ability to use a taser as a sidearm would be fantastic too.

By the way, I don't know if this is in any way possible on the coding level, but I think it would be great if the crossbow were classified as a melee weapon. People would probably use them more for zombie killing if they could be carried on their back in conjunction with a primary firearm. This plus more frequently spawning tranq darts will make survivor/hero/bandit interactions much more interesting!

Agreed, spawning players with a pistol will not increase the worth of the pistol. As soon as the player finds a Winchester it is worthless again. My idea is not to make them so much better but to make them a necessity with the new players. How about bump the spawn of those things inside of fire stations to the point where finding an m4 or ak is a commodity. Instead of running around with high tier assault rifles, give them a full auto PDW. Then boost the damage of some of them so that they are not completely overshadowed by the regular civilian weapons. In the spawn towns you would get a cool little dynamic where pistols would be used for close range due to their close range killing potential and say an Enfield for that long range accuracy. An assault rifle is the best of both worlds with the high damage of the civilian weps and the fast fire rates of the pistols.To get past this tiering of weapons you would either have to travel north to hit some barracks, or get lucky and find an m4 in the fire station. Maybe swap some spawn rate of some of the hunting rifles with some more civilian pistols like the 1911 so you would still be an incentive to get the military tier pistols from the fire stations like the PDW or the heavy hitting and accurate revolver.

I do not know, this makes sence to me in a gameplay aspect as well as a realistic aspect. Pistols are much more easy to afford and easier to carry around, which in turn, leads to more average Joes owning one. +1 for the tazer as well, you could make it a barracks, firestation and military tent spawn, just to add another high tier pistol.

Just now thinking about it, a cool idea crossed my mind. Why not make the SMGs equable in the pistol slot. These would be heavily sought after for their decent accuracy and full auto capabilities, especially for snipers who need a closerange alternative. This also make the Bizon not such a shit alternative primary weapon.

Edit: Also agreed on the crossbow idea, good thinking.

Edited by Lukethero

Started the remove attachment.

Should be very simple needs some text cleanup. The aim is to have it lightweight and simple to use in game hopefully i've managed to achieve this.

• Like 4

ditto on not adding the makarov back to fresh spawns. In the early days of the mod before melee was added, sure it made sense; but even then new spawns would just camp the spawn areas on the coast and DM other new spawns for their ammo... It was a mess.

I really like the idea of making the crossbow a melee hostered weapon. Right now it's not powerful enough to carry as a primary and mostly a pain to keep in your bag to pull out when needed.

Lastly can we get a tranq darts added to the craftable items? Maybe something like (1 epi + 1 confry leaf + wooden arrow = 1 tranq dart ) They are so rare that I have yet so see one used.

Same for explosive darts (1 nade + bolt = explosive dart) The logic behind this is that the player would remove the blasting cap from the nade and uses the black powder from the nade to craft an explosive dart.

Should be very simple needs some text cleanup. The aim is to have it lightweight and simple to use in game hopefully i've managed to achieve this.

Nice, attachment overhaul. Do not forget to remove the ammo belt killing the magnification on the scope. Edited by Lukethero
  • Like 1

I think its an issue with the model ill need to get one of the model guys to look it over at some point.

ditto on not adding the makarov back to fresh spawns. In the early days of the mod before melee was added, sure it made sense; but even then new spawns would just camp the spawn areas on the coast and DM other new spawns for their ammo... It was a mess.

I really like the idea of making the crossbow a melee hostered weapon. Right now it's not powerful enough to carry as a primary and mostly a pain to keep in your bag to pull out when needed.

Lastly can we get a tranq darts added to the craftable items? Maybe something like (1 epi + 1 confry leaf + wooden arrow = 1 tranq dart ) They are so rare that I have yet so see one used.

Same for explosive darts (1 nade + bolt = explosive dart) The logic behind this is that the player would remove the blasting cap from the nade and uses the black powder from the nade to craft an explosive dart.

Realistically you would not need all that comfrey leaves for one arrow, I do not know. Obviosly balance is more of an issue here, but 1 comfrey for 1 dart seems a little steep, but to hell if I know anything about balance.

I second that. It's not hard to find a melee weapon or a sidearm in the first settlement you come upon. In the meantime you just have to stay out of sight and not get cornered by zeds. Simple really.

• Like 1

I also strongly disagree about the Makarov on starting loadout. That's definitely something we are going to remove from inventory if it's implemented.

I just love the simplicity of this! Nice one R4Z0R.

We might have some new weapons inbound to replace some of the old arma ones. They should hold a better upgrade path

• Like 7

We might have some new weapons inbound to replace some of the old arma ones. They should hold a better upgrade path

Sounds great! Will they be coming with some new reloads and firing sounds?

I believe with new weapons added, reloading animations would remain the same. It seems to be categorized by the types of weapons (handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc)

Edit: Would it be possible to craft snares and other traps for small animals like rabbits?

Edited by TIC321

Something I'd like to be adjusted for next patch is medium stash hit points.  Right now with an axe a small stash is destroyed in 1-2 hits, a camping tent 2-3, a dome tent is unhittable and a medium stash is.... 60+ hits.  That's a bit ridiculous.   Dome tents being hittable would be nice too.  I know you can drive over and destroy them, but I can't axe or burn them atm.

Also with the attachment system improving, can we start adding a cco to the fal?  I love the fal but having only iron sights or night vision scope only makes it a bit unusable

Edited by lnfighter

I don't think any of they should be destroyed in that way.

Tents (tents should have interaction to destroy them)
Setting fire to them = ok 

Pulling them down = ok

Running over them = ok

Melee = not ok. (no sort of weapon fire should be able to destroy a tent)

Stash (are burred underground, should only be destroyed once empty)

Setting fire to them = not ok

Pulling them down = not ok

Running over them = not ok

Melee = not ok.

Soon as i get time ill update to the following the above.

• Like 1

Something I'd like to be adjusted for next patch is medium stash hit points. Right now with an axe a small stash is destroyed in 1-2 hits, a camping tent 2-3, a dome tent is unhittable and a medium stash is.... 60+ hits. That's a bit ridiculous. Dome tents being hittable would be nice too. I know you can drive over and destroy them, but I can't axe or burn them atm.

Also with the attachment system improving, can we start adding a cco to the fal? I love the fal but having only iron sights or night vision scope only makes it a bit unusable

Would be cool to put the aim on iron sight weapons like the FAL, but removable attachments should be first priority though.

I love the idea of finding all FALs, M14s, LMGs, and M4s with iron sights and having the ability to attach AIM, holo, and ACOG sights/scopes as well as silencers to M4s and pistols.  I know some of that requires the proper models and necessary coding, but in the mean time seeing the WIP Mosin attachment system is exciting.

We are also working on getting the female model updated not sure on the results yet but fingers crossed.

http://i.imgur.com/CoYG1zC.png

with weapons i have a good list of weapons ill need to go over before i can push them to github but we might have a good number of weapons for the new attachments system to replace the old legacy weapons. The hard bit is still to convert everyone from the old weapons to the new ones :-(

With releases for the next few weeks im on 16 hour shifts at work so im not getting much time to do anything else.

• Like 4

We are also working on getting the female model updated not sure on the results yet but fingers crossed.

http://i.imgur.com/CoYG1zC.png

with weapons i have a good list of weapons ill need to go over before i can push them to github but we might have a good number of weapons for the new attachments system to replace the old legacy weapons. The hard bit is still to convert everyone from the old weapons to the new ones :-(

With releases for the next few weeks im on 16 hour shifts at work so im not getting much time to do anything else.

This looks really good.  

So the new fence system what problems are ppl experiencing with it?

Here's what I know from the player base.  Razor you know and have resolution for most of these but thought I put it here for completeness.  None of these are game breaking but I feel they should be addressed over the product road map.

• Allowing multiple ownership of walls before being fully upgraded.  This allows walls to be hijacked and thus allow entry from undesirables
  • Ability to build in loot areas and thus block entrance to them.
  • No maintenance or degradation which over the long term could put too many objects to render on the server and thus bringing down performance.  When running epoch server performance degradation appeared around 5000+ buildable objects.
  • Objects when destroyed are re-rendered on restart which removes a significant consequence of building in a high value or traffic areas
  • Ability to glitch enter walls using the exit animation from vehicles
  • Disconnecting above a base puts you at zero elevation on login.  Something to consider if you ever plan to put in floors or ceilings.  For now US 434 only replenishes vehicles once every 24 hours to alleviate the use of bi-planes to gain entry.  
Edited by Geryon
  • Like 1