r4z0r49

DayZ Mod Development Branch - 20a57cf

any eta on next update? my base just got raided using the upgrade exploit.  Rather infuriating

Not atm im back on dayz this week with the Easter weekend coming up so hopefully its soon. 

If it hasn't been considered we should also 'insta' kill players using the animation from getting out of a vehicle to enter a base.  Epoch solved this by killing players who attempted this.

Edit: We've had one instance of this so far.

At the moment only two ways around this is to have an inner and outer wall or have every single vehicle in your base.   :)

that's pretty extreme but you guys should be able to do something about this.

_this addEventHandler ["GetOut", { _this call vehicle_getOut }]; in server_monitor line 173

vehicle_getOut = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_server\compile\vehicle_getOut.sqf"; in server_functions.

Then create a new file in dayz_server\compile called vehicle_getOut.sqf and add

//[vehicle, position, unit]//Quick fix for now.private ["_vehicle","_position","_unit","_buildables"];_vehicle = _this select 0;_position = _this select 1;_unit = _this select 2;_buildables = count ((getposATL _vehicle) nearObjects ["DZ_buildables", 2]);if (_buildables > 0) then {switch _position do {case ("driver"): { _unit action ["getInDriver", _vehicle]; };case ("cargo"): { _unit action ["getInCargo", _vehicle]; };case ("commander"): { _unit action ["getInCommmander", _vehicle]; };case ("gunner"): { _unit action ["getInGunner", _vehicle]; };case ("pilot"): { _unit action ["getInPilot", _vehicle]; };case ("turret"): { _unit action ["getInTurret", _vehicle]; };};};diag_log format["%1 - %2 - %3",_vehicle,_position,_unit];

Something along these lines.

Ps i have no idea without looking if that event-handler is global you guys will have to test it out or if the action is global. 

Hey looking forward to 1.8.5 I do however have a request..

Since the addition to the new affect system (weapon sway, shaking etc back in 1.8.2?) I noticed that when you are low blood there is no longer the heartbeat sound that would kick in at around 2500 blood. Not sure if it was removed by accident or was intentional but it really was a great feature and I hope makes it back soon. I was going through old videos and the sense of urgency and stress from hearing your heartbeat when on deaths doorsteop really adds something special to the player experiance that I've been missing.

Edited by m0tzilla
  • Like 2

Since the addition to the new affect system (weapon sway, shaking etc back in 1.8.2?) I noticed that when you are low blood there is no longer the heartbeat sound that would kick in at around 2500 blood. Not sure if it was removed by accident or was intentional but it really was a great feature and I hope makes it back soon. I was going through old videos and the sense of urgency and stress from hearing your heartbeat when on deaths doorsteop really adds something special to the player experiance that I've been missing.

+1!  I believe I mentioned this already in the github but currently there's very little sense of fear or urgency when on super low blood with the exception of passing out and sounding panicky when next to a zombie.  I like the drunk looking effects from pain and the strange color effects when low on blood, but I really, really miss the extremely shaky desaturated panic mode that you used to enter at super low blood.  Nothing beats the experience this used to offer!

• Like 1

quick question about walls:

If I build 2-3 walls on top of each other (same space so it looks like just 1 wall), will they all blow up if someone satchels it?

I know if you build a wall on a pre-existing game wall/fence; the satchel takes down the player wall, but ignores the cement/wood wall that is part of the terrain.

+1!  I believe I mentioned this already in the github but currently there's very little sense of fear or urgency when on super low blood with the exception of passing out and sounding panicky when next to a zombie.  I like the drunk looking effects from pain and the strange color effects when low on blood, but I really, really miss the extremely shaky desaturated panic mode that you used to enter at super low blood.  Nothing beats the experience this used to offer!

ill take a look at re-adding those effects.

quick question about walls:

If I build 2-3 walls on top of each other (same space so it looks like just 1 wall), will they all blow up if someone satchels it?

I know if you build a wall on a pre-existing game wall/fence; the satchel takes down the player wall, but ignores the cement/wood wall that is part of the terrain.

No idea probably be best to stop using the fence system untill its worked on a bit more if your worried however even when the damage system is removed they can still breakin. Nothing will ever be 100% safe.

What about that creepy yelling when your being eaten by a zombie, is that still in game?  Please don't make me find out on my own!  lol

Thinking about scraping the bloodbag system i really dont like it at all.

whats your thoughts about this?

Thinking about scraping the bloodbag system i really dont like it at all.

whats your thoughts about this?

Finally started to get used to it but a friend of mine said it pretty well: "it feels a bit unbalanced from a survival perspective. It would be more realistic if you could find a warm sweater"

How would you like it to work? Just one blood type for all and keep the self blood bag system with empty blood bag and 2x transfusion kit?

I think the blood bag system seems pretty well thought through with testing kit and such.

Blood types i think should stay so the 3 blood types should remain but the time for the drip should be extended so getting given a bloodbag should be something you have wait for. Bloodbags should not be found only the bags and tube should be found the rest should be drawn from players maybe by force or by a willing donor.

Self bloodbag is a pretty shit system and i think should be changed to maybe a single saline sort of drip players can create but regenerates the blood much slower rather then an instant impact that bloodbags will have.

Bloodbags/saline should not be something you use during a combat routine they should be something that takes time to do during a rest period.

Example.

Bloodbags = Instant impact on blood but requires the patient to be resting/not moving. (gives 300 blood every 15 seconds) (15 X 4 = 60 Seconds to regenerate 1200 blood) (Donated/Forced)

Saline = Regenerates blood at much faster rate then normal regen. (Generates an extra 10 blood every 3 seconds upto a maximum of 10% of the users current blood level) (Created)

Player Health = 777.

SaLineRegen Amount = ((777 / 100) * 10) = 77.7 Blood given back to the player over 21 secs. (does not stack) Must be resting

Normal Regen happens ll the time long as your healthy. (not sick and aboue 50% stats)

Reseting regen happens while resting at tents.

just thinking.

• Like 1

I haven't played the dev branch, but generally speaking, I wish the game offered more and easier ways to do other players good. So I really don't know if scapping the blood transfusion system is a good thing. What I know for sure is that I wouldn't want more ways for people to live out psychological weirdness, like force feeding, stealing blood from others and such. The standalone is going in the very wrong direction in this sense, in my opinion.

Transfusion would not be changed at all the idea behind it will still work in the same way. More more concerned about the 12 different blood-bags and they way they work around self bloodbaging.  

I haven't played the dev branch, but generally speaking, I wish the game offered more and easier ways to do other players good. So I really don't know if scapping the blood transfusion system is a good thing. What I know for sure is that I wouldn't want more ways for people to live out psychological weirdness, like force feeding, stealing blood from others and such. The standalone is going in the very wrong direction in this sense, in my opinion.

Would you rather have that or be one shoted from a hill 100m away and instantly be back on the coast? I have always thought that player driven interaction has always been what makes DayZ fun, wether it be holding someone up just to give them some beans and send them on their way, or to eat their friend in front of them and take their blood. Sadly mod does not facilitate this gameplay compared to SA's relitively low gun spawn and tie up feature. Would be cool to get a tie system, but I realize the restrictions of a mod, but I am not familiar with the Arma engine, maybe it is possible. A very easily implemented feature would be making knockout darts easily accessible *HINT* *HINT*.

Separately, I was thinking, there is no reason to use the secondary weapons. I have talked to many experienced players, and we have all greed that we do not carry ammo for secondarys. There is no point in carrying one arround if melee a are such a strong zombie control weapon, especially with the sniper range on those things, and obviously, not a good player killing weapon compared to a primary. Most of us just opt out of using pistols just because those ammo spots could be better used for bandages, or wipes. An interesting way to compensate for this would be an alternative secondary weapon choice, like a small mini crossbow that could take knockout darts or a cool little tazer gun. This would offer a friendly play-style without darastically hindering your potential in combat like carrying around a crossbow would.

Just some thoughts here that I felt like getting out. In my opinion, for this next update I think an emphasis on player interaction should be made as far as content goes. Maybe I am alone in this, what do you guys think?

Would you rather have that or be one shoted from a hill 100m away and instantly be back on the coast? I have always thought that player driven interaction has always been what makes DayZ fun, wether it be holding someone up just to give them some beans and send them on their way, or to eat their friend in front of them and take their blood. Sadly mod does not facilitate this gameplay compared to SA's relitively low gun spawn and tie up feature. Would be cool to get a tie system, but I realize the restrictions of a mod, but I am not familiar with the Arma engine, maybe it is possible. A very easily implemented feature would be making knockout darts easily accessible *HINT* *HINT*.

Separately, I was thinking, there is no reason to use the secondary weapons. I have talked to many experienced players, and we have all greed that we do not carry ammo for secondarys. There is no point in carrying one arround if melee a are such a strong zombie control weapon, especially with the sniper range on those things, and obviously, not a good player killing weapon compared to a primary. Most of us just opt out of using pistols just because those ammo spots could be better used for bandages, or wipes. An interesting way to compensate for this would be an alternative secondary weapon choice, like a small mini crossbow that could take knockout darts or a cool little tazer gun. This would offer a friendly play-style without darastically hindering your potential in combat like carrying around a crossbow would.

Just some thoughts here that I felt like getting out. In my opinion, for this next update I think an emphasis on player interaction should be made as far as content goes. Maybe I am alone in this, what do you guys think?

I do agree with pistols i haven't had much use in them for along time. I'll look into it as well as cleaning up alot of the junk we dont use yet

Blood types i think should stay so the 3 blood types should remain but the time for the drip should be extended so getting given a bloodbag should be something you have wait for. Bloodbags should not be found only the bags and tube should be found the rest should be drawn from players maybe by force or by a willing donor.

Self bloodbag is a pretty shit system and i think should be changed to maybe a single saline sort of drip players can create but regenerates the blood much slower rather then an instant impact that bloodbags will have.

Bloodbags/saline should not be something you use during a combat routine they should be something that takes time to do during a rest period.

Example.

Bloodbags = Instant impact on blood but requires the patient to be resting/not moving. (gives 300 blood every 15 seconds) (15 X 4 = 60 Seconds to regenerate 1200 blood) (Donated/Forced)

Saline = Regenerates blood at much faster rate then normal regen. (Generates an extra 10 blood every 3 seconds upto a maximum of 10% of the users current blood level) (Created)

Player Health = 777.

SaLineRegen Amount = ((777 / 100) * 10) = 77.7 Blood given back to the player over 21 secs. (does not stack) Must be resting

Normal Regen happens ll the time long as your healthy. (not sick and aboue 50% stats)

Reseting regen happens while resting at tents.

just thinking.

I have had a few friends who have said the exact same thing. The way I see there are 3 ways you could make bloodbags a little more useful.

1. Your way. Very simplistic and makes it slot easier for players to preform. Good ideas!

2. Decrease the usefulness of the food. Right now if you want the regen blood you just scoff down a couple steaks and you are good. Make players seek out other players if they want to gain back blood. Increase humanity gain back to 500 would also help.

3. Boost usefulness of hero skin. There is very little incentive to go out bloodbagging people because the hero skin has basically no purpose. All it does is give you a slight speed boost for about 10 seconds till your player gets tired. I have thought of a few interesting way to encourage going after the skin.

- Make a permenate speed boost that does not completely go away after the player is exhausted.

- Make that cool little ballistics vest actually do something. I have tested and it does not even block 9mm bullets.

- 80% of players have no idea what a hero is and 10% are bandits who do not give a shit. Give the players an overlay on the loading screen that describes each skin and it's purpose. The hero, for example, " Masters of the bloodbag and savior to survivors. Avoid shooting these guys unless you want the fast track to banditry. These people got to the place they are today by providing medical aid to those in need and by refraining from shooting survivors unless fired apon first." These descriptions would come handy with a picture of the described skin.

I just think these are some cool ways to boost the usefulness of bloodbags, and it would be cool to get a mix of all these to cement the idea of, if you want any blood, you need to bloodbag. Also snuck some cheeky skin balance in there :P

Edited by Lukethero
  • Like 1

Would you rather have that or be one shoted from a hill 100m away and instantly be back on the coast?

No offense, but if you think that kill on sight and hold-up banditry are the only two possible kinds of player interaction, you haven't seen the good sides of the DayZ mod. I can only speak for myself, but I believe that a significant part of the reason why most players kill and rob instead of giving and helping is that the former are just a hell lot easier than the latter. The more ways pleople have to excruciate others, the more they'll do it. I'm sure the same holds conversely with good deeds. That's all I wanted to say.

Edit: typos

Edited by RomanZ

Adding any kind of bonus to humanity is against the terms of what we can do. I'll check with the contacts and see if we are still bound by the original limits

• Like 1

Some new changes not yet in the development branch on steam but live on github

Added New crafting Recipe Nails,(equip_metal_sheet X 1 = equip_nails X 10, Toolbox Needed, MetalSheet spawns Construction,Industrial).
Added Players now respawn with a Makarov and 2 mags.

Updated Loot weights for loot groups.
Updated WoodenSplint Recipe (PartWoodPile X 2,equip_string X 1).
Updated Lowered Melee range. by 0.01 from 0.05 to 0.04.
Updated loot chance of carepackages to 0.6 from 0.2
Updated You can now turn rope into String.
Updated Zed Animations have been moved back to a smooth animation transition from an instant move.

Removed From loot Tables(ItemMetalSheet(Not the one used in recipes),ItemConcreteBlock,ItemRSJ,ItemScrews).

Thoughts?
  • Like 1

Few comments:

I do like the concept of blood bagging taking longer.  It just feels wrong getting shot with a nato 7.62 running away and hiding.  Blood bagging, take a pain killer and then coming back into the fight.  

As for secondaries their damage should be more deadly.  Part of the reason why less people use them is because of it's poor blood damage.  Outside of a head shot you need to lay so many rounds in.  I think increasing their blood damage would help in people using them more.  Their effectiveness is still limited to their poor distance range but at least within close quarters (i.e. inside buildings or 50 feet or so) they become viable defense weapons.  This also goes for the MP-5 which uses pistol ammo.

Once you get past surviving zombies, not starving or dying of exposure it's going to be hard to prevent KOS type playing.  It's an easy game play choice and with very little consequence.  I'm not sure any game mechanic within the game can direct certain play over another.  New players to the server tend to be noobs who are still learning the game or veterans of the mod and Epoch who log in so that they can MLG merc any player that comes in their path.  

However the players that make a commitment to a particular server generally group or create loose bands.  They communicate and cooperate.  These groups also end up building rivalries.  This is where the mod shines.  The player interactions become much more complex simply because you know the tendencies, the good and bad of between players.  This is where one person's friends could be considered heros to him/her while another group considers them bandits.  It also puts a grey shade in between good and evil.  Killing can be considered justified or murder depending on the side you are on.  

• Like 3

Please don't give players a Makarov and 2 mags upon start. It just feels wrong as so many lol servers do the same. This game should be about scavenging and surviving. 

I might be wrong here but I just don't see the point.

What will the recipe create?

Cheers.

Edited by vinyljunkie
  • Like 1

No offense, but if you think that kill on sight and hold-up banditry are the only two possible kinds of player interaction, you haven't seen the good sides of the DayZ mod. I can only speak for myself, but I believe that a significant part of the reason why most players kill and rob instead of giving and helping is that the former are just a hell lot easier than the latter. The more ways pleople have to excruciate others, the more they'll do it. I'm sure the same holds conversely with good deeds. That's all I wanted to say.

Edit: typos

I did say send you off on your way with some beans. I realize there are good players out there. I also do agree that killing players is the easier option. I do like how SA has gone about it where if you shoot a player you ruin their stuff, this just does not seem like all players care enough. Maybe it is because the gun is not ruined or something along those lines, I am no psychologist. If I could have my way, I would have the same system in mod, but I do realize that people do enjoy the thrill of the fight and I respect their play styles.

Adding any kind of bonus to humanity is against the terms of what we can do. I'll check with the contacts and see if we are still bound by the original limits

Fair enough, but I do think the 3rd part of my third suggestion for bloodbags, would be an informative little addition to the game. Seems simple enough to implement and would help the new players get to grips with the overarching theme in Dayz.

Few comments:

I do like the concept of blood bagging taking longer. It just feels wrong getting shot with a nato 7.62 running away and hiding. Blood bagging, take a pain killer and then coming back into the fight.

As for secondaries their damage should be more deadly. Part of the reason why less people use them is because of it's poor blood damage. Outside of a head shot you need to lay so many rounds in. I think increasing their blood damage would help in people using them more. Their effectiveness is still limited to their poor distance range but at least within close quarters (i.e. inside buildings or 50 feet or so) they become viable defense weapons. This also goes for the MP-5 which uses pistol ammo.

Once you get past surviving zombies, not starving or dying of exposure it's going to be hard to prevent KOS type playing. It's an easy game play choice and with very little consequence. I'm not sure any game mechanic within the game can direct certain play over another. New players to the server tend to be noobs who are still learning the game or veterans of the mod and Epoch who log in so that they can MLG merc any player that comes in their path.

However the players that make a commitment to a particular server generally group or create loose bands. They communicate and cooperate. These groups also end up building rivalries. This is where the mod shines. The player interactions become much more complex simply because you know the tendencies, the good and bad of between players. This is where one person's friends could be considered heros to him/her while another group considers them bandits. It also puts a grey shade in between good and evil. Killing can be considered justified or murder depending on the side you are on.

Could not have said it better myself. Sure sometimes those idiots running around electro spraying down anything that moves gets on all of our nerves sometimes, but when you get over that and start forming those alliances, you realize mod has captured something no other Dayz knockoff hasn't been able to accomplish. It is quite sad that not everyone ha sthe time to experience this mechanic due to their complicated life schedules.

As far as the KOS point goes, I completely agree. Anything short of downright Insta-death will ever stop people from KOSing. My problem is with the lack of love to the one side of the play-style. As previously stated I respect all forms of play and never think a player should be penalized too much for how they play. For example, in SA, if you shoot up a helpless Bambi, there are no real downsides, sure you may not get as much loot as you would have gotten by holding him up, but you are not worse off than before besides a couple missing bullets. Now heroism is not detured by any means, but it is not as nearly facilitated as banditry is. We see mosins and weapon attachments and player killing devices, but where are the mechanics for the other side of the player base? There is no real reason to give up you bandit ways to go to the other side besides maybe beeing spared from beeing shot 1or 2 times. Why not reward the player for risking their life to get the player to drop their weapons. Hear what I am saying here. Reward and help the player along with how they want to play, regardless of the play-style. I think we can all agree that banditry is well enough established in Dayz, let the hero players play how they want to play now.

I hope that I have adequately gotten across my point and that it is not misunderstood and that it does not sound too biased *cough* LukeThero *cough*. Maybe I am not alone in this, who knows. I am probably missing some other wacky way people play the game, but these are the big ones.

Edited by Lukethero
  • Like 1

Please don't give players a Makarov and 2 mags upon start. It just feels wrong as so many lol servers do the same. This game should be about scavenging and surviving. 

^^ THIS!  The terror of needing to find a melee weapon before being effective at defending yourself from zombies is great.  I hate modded servers that spawn you with pistols.  An alternative would possibly be upping the spawn rate of Makarovs in residential areas?

Also, while I completely disagree that sidearms are not useful (I frequently use the M9SD, love the flashlight on the G17, and sometimes kill zombies with unsilenced pistols when I don't have bandages and don't want to risk getting hit while melee killing them), I do think it would be a good thing to increase their damage.  Not so drastically that they become an alternative to getting a shotgun or rifle, but enough that they're worth using against other players.  Having some sort of ability to use a taser as a sidearm would be fantastic too.

By the way, I don't know if this is in any way possible on the coding level, but I think it would be great if the crossbow were classified as a melee weapon.  People would probably use them more for zombie killing if they could be carried on their back in conjunction with a primary firearm.  This plus more frequently spawning tranq darts will make survivor/hero/bandit interactions much more interesting!

• Like 2

What will the recipe create?

Cheers.

Nails.

As for humanity i really dont know what we can do with it. We have tons of ideas but they follow a meta style game not something regarding state of mind which humanity is.