Wookieenoob

what do you think of the current inventory block system?

a long range scope takes up 2x1 inventory slots.

that makes sense since it's an oblong object.

a 1 liter bottle takes up 1x2 inventory slots (essentially the same.)

regardless of game-mechanics that doesn't really make sense. a one liter bottle and a scope of the size of the long ranged scope aren't really the same.

i'd also say the same for some wellies vs a shotgun. the wellies take 2x3 inventory space, but the shotgun doesn't fit into the pack at all. again, this is for game balance, but does it really make sense? wellies wouldn't really ever fit into a backpack, but a shotgun always would, sticking out the top. 

i'm sure it's all very hard to do, getting a system together that would work across all items, but i feel like everything should be less linear, taking up random amounts of space rather than just a single block, or 2x1.

i also kind of feel like shirt and trouser pockets are going to have trouble fitting in 6 cans of beans, but a map, a compass, some magazines and an apple, perhaps less so. 

i also feel like collapsable objects like clothing (IE space expensive TSSKO or burlap sacks) should take up less space than solid objects like cans or guns, or full bottles of water.

Edited by Wookieenoob
  • Like 1

I agree that it is a bit of a clunky, weird system. For instance, it always strikes me as very strange that I can stuff a med kit or protector case inside a pair of jeans.

But to pose the question is to answer it. It is indeed a balance issue. You could probably stuff a fair few rifles inside a drybag or mountain backpack, but that would not do the game any good IMO.

I agree that it is a bit of a clunky, weird system. For instance, it always strikes me as very strange that I can stuff a med kit or protector case inside a pair of jeans.

But to pose the question is to answer it. It is indeed a balance issue. You could probably stuff a fair few rifles inside a drybag or mountain backpack, but that would not do the game any good IMO.

obviously not. while i feel like you should be able to take a weapon on your second shoulder, i think the current weapon storage options would need to stay, IE half a pack for AKS or not at all for most weapons, and 4 slots for even the smallest pistol. that would need to stay, big blocked out areas of pack for  weapons. but for other items it'd work. 

a can would take up quite a large amount of space, but you'd be able to pack things around it.

a shirt would take up less space and you'd be able to pack stuck right up to it. there should be an option carefully to fold clothing before you put it into your pack so that it takes less space.

honestly i think they should make the backpack spacing volumetric.

IE a system where you physically place the items in your pack and need to remove your pack to get them out, like a real pack. that way you're rewarded for carefully arranging your pack, so when you put it out all your items rez out inside it like a mini-tent

Edited by Wookieenoob

the shot gun fits in the back pack if you saw it its 1x4

not the shotgun i was thinking about. 

I just think they should use a volume system. Every item take a set volume, and a space can hold a finite volume. A mountian backpack for example could hold 60L of volume. and you can stuff everything you want in as long as you have space. It's realistic too, since in a bag you cna put small stuff to fill the gaps. It would also serve the container system. IE: a protector case holding max 2-3-4L of space. Same for medical kit. And that kit take that space in the backpack. Pockets could be separated too, you don't have one big pocket in that pant you have, but 2-4 small ones. Each could hold 0.5-1L... Ect.. You get the idea.

• Like 2

og the one with no butt stock?

I have the pistol grip pump one and it fits in my hunting backpack, It's 3X5 I think.

Agree...but the collective weight of several rifles would be a good trade off. Perhaps what you carry to the the sound (clanging / rattling) you make when you move should also be a factor.

Edited by Zeotrope

It is a bit cumbersome but like all things I am sure it is not final.

The inventory system also is lacking in realism at the moment with silly things like Vicinity and the goofy ability to sprint at full speed while having full access to your inventory.

It is a bit cumbersome but like all things I am sure it is not final.

The inventory system also is lacking in realism at the moment with silly things like Vicinity and the goofy ability to sprint at full speed while having full access to your inventory.

This.

We will see how this all Plays out when weight is actualy activated. A more realistic split in Slots whould be apprecheated.

I would like to see the inventory system go to some sort of "free item placement" mechanic, where the objects themselves take up the space, and the entire space is just one large box that the items go into.

I like the tetris system! People are visal creatures.

They just need to improve it,so the items take up space they actually would.

Not that hard.

Volume system does sound good, but I hope it doesn't become something that we have to be too worried about. I know in Fallout games, it can become meta. Slow walking the map to get all those scrap metals home haha

The current system doesn't really bother me, although I understand it doesn't really make sense.

I remember the first time I saw the gas canister in the backpack. I could not stop laughing.

I'd like to see the ability to rotate items so a 2x3 item could be rotated to take up 3x2 slots besides that I don't really dislike the current inventory system, It's certainly much better than the ARMA2 mod one.

I'd like to see the ability to rotate items so a 2x3 item could be rotated to take up 3x2 slots besides that I don't really dislike the current inventory system, It's certainly much better than the ARMA2 mod one.

yeah it's an improvement, but there are certainly changes that can be made.

always good to see what people think 

Wasn't the inventory system going to be reworked?

I dont mind it too much...What i do hate is having to "close" my equipment, so i can drag stuff out of my bag to my hand/shirt

They just need to repair some of the item spaces. I hope that comes around beta, while they keep pushing forward with alpha. We need to be at the Compounds introduction at the end of q4. Too many hold ups and we will be back to q1 in no time.

The blocks are two big they should be smaller brake the blocks into 1/4 and make them fit the shape of the item so a box of matches is not as big as  a can of beans a axe can be 3x2 for the head of the axe and 2x20 down for the handle that will make inventory management more important to your survival 

Edited by Boxer23

well i would think its all about the cut:

http%253A%252F%252Fassets.nydailynews.co

I just think they should use a volume system. Every item take a set volume, and a space can hold a finite volume. A mountian backpack for example could hold 60L of volume. and you can stuff everything you want in as long as you have space. It's realistic too, since in a bag you cna put small stuff to fill the gaps. It would also serve the container system. IE: a protector case holding max 2-3-4L of space. Same for medical kit. And that kit take that space in the backpack. Pockets could be separated too, you don't have one big pocket in that pant you have, but 2-4 small ones. Each could hold 0.5-1L... Ect.. You get the idea.

^This get rid of the slot system entirely.

In general I like the concept as it makes you think about how many - and more importantly which type of - items you want to carry with you. I also think 2D is the best way to go as 1D is too simple (does not differentiate between shapes) while 3D would be pretty hard to pull off in a satisfying way. Now the current system has the following issues:

1. you gain free slots for some items (mostly big tools or weapons)
  2. items cannot be rotated
  3. the grid is pretty big allowing for low variety in items (especially notable with small ones)
  4. each container only got one big square instead of discrete pockets
  5. you can access all of your inventory freely all the time
  6. damaging or destroying a container does not affect inventory slots
  7. too much forced inventory management (e.g. hand-environment interaction only possible with full inventory)
  8. item size is inconsistent (compare matchbox, firefighter axe, handgun and PET bottle)

Possible solutions:

1. remove free slots, add gun slings and specialized slots to some backpacks
  2. make it possible to rotate items (4 directions should suffice)
  3. a finer grid and more stackable items OR "free" item placement (basically an ultra fine grid) OR a 1D slot for very small items (basically stacking small items of different types)
  4. divide inventory space into pockets
  5. restrict access to various slots in various situations (e.g. "search backpack" action)
  6. make ruined containers drop all items AND make damaged containers drop smaller items (randomly or all the time) OR disable pockets for damaged containers (damaged > some pockets ruined)
  7. divide the "store/interact/take" action into "store/drop" and "take/interact" OR "store/interact" and "take/drop" OR change it to "take/interact/drop" with "store" requiring the inventory screen
  8. adjust item size to more closely reflect real life (ignore smallest dimension) OR make items stackable according to smallest dimension

IMO the game needs to be improved, In terms of stability and performance before any of this "realism" is considered. It's definitely a bit odd that u can stuff a pair of wellies in a backpack and fit an mp5 in it aswell as multiple tins of food etc. for now, they need to work on improving the core game, not just add in random stuff.

Hi All,

I’ve worked out a concept for a “new” intuitive and updated inventory & hud system.

Please take a good look at this concept artwork and give feedback.

UiI75C5.jpg

i5mJJ0m.jpg

4XhtIpe.jpg

LCpzrUz.jpg

5LWGhgn.jpg

Some big changes have been made, that would change the way of item storage and gameplay.

• Where the current system uses slots to fill a backpack or other container, this system uses percentage.

Why use percentage instead of slots. With the slot system you can only have a specific amount of items, depending on the slots. Percentage could drastically upgrade the amount of items.

- For example: A pen would take one slot in a backpack which is just as much as a can of Tactical Bacon, in real life you can probably fit 40 pens inside a can. Almost nobody is carrying a pen because its a waste of space. if a pen would be 0.5% space in a backpack. much more people wil carry a pen and have the ability to leave notes. this is one out of 10.000 examples why it should not be slots.

• An open design which maintains focus on the environment, bandits & Zeds.

When in real-life you stick your hand in your pocket, you don't stick your face in it. Also when you take something out of a backpack you can stil look around.

• Don't show the player as a miniature it just takes up space.

If you want to see yourself you can use alt to view yourself. in first person only you should find a mirror. In real life you cant see yourself either.

• A scroll action menu which is much more clear.

Obvious reasons.

• The hud is minimalistic and does not distract.

You should see this as the voice in your head. If your hungry you’ll know it, the state of which your in is given a color, Red means its bad, etc. Stamina is also something you feel in real-life therefor it should be mentioned, so you don’t run yourself to death.

I would appreciate feedback on how you think this should or should not work.

Greats Stiello.

• Like 1

Yes we need presentages or numbers, not boxes. It works like that in Arma 3. It doesn't even matter currently what part of the inventory the thing in your hotbar is so I don't see any reason why the inventory even uses boxes...

Actually can any of the devs even say is there any reason why the inventory is tetris boxed and not like above where everything is free? Or at least it should be way more free. i can undertand that you don't want to see a guy with 1000 pens in them :D

Edited by St. Jimmy