The Aquatic Land Walrus

I feel like an asshole

So, I got my 1st kill.. ever... From 2011 to 2015. Both in the mod and in the standalone. I got it on an AFK guy who was in a fire station in elektro.

I feel like a douchebag for killing him. The guy was damn stacked. Longhorn, AK, Derringer, M1911 and tons of ammunition. My fire axe ruined most of his clothes as well as his tactical vest, too. I guess it proves my inexperience with murder. He was very clearly AFK. After I hit him once, he did nothing. I think I should've shot him instead to save his clothing. but, hey. I like my bomber jacket.

That's not the point, though. The point is that I feel like a genuine cunt for killing someone who had likely spent hours upon hours of game time scavenging for gear. He just made the mistake of going AFK in a fire station- one that I make very often. Moral: I'm an asshole. Secondary moral: Don't go AFK in a fire station in Elektro. I was tempted to ignore him and leave a note telling him not to go AFK in a fire station, but greed got the best of me.

>Inb4 I get fucking shot because of Karma

I guess I'm not a hero anymore ;_;

Edited by The Aquatic Land Walrus
  • Like 2

So what, the dumbass went AFK inside a fire station in Elektro. Serves him right.

• Like 3

You've been playing DayZ for 4 years now and you haven't killed anybody until today?  Not even defensively?  How is that possible?  I'm honestly curious.

Edited by IReadTheAgreement
  • Like 1

While i dont condone such actions - who goes afk in a firehouse much less Elektro fire house 8P

You've been playing DayZ for 4 years now and you haven't killed anybody until today?  Not even defensively?  How is that possible?  I'm honestly curious.

When I got the game, I'd never played anything remotely realistic. I always played on low-pop servers, or friendly servers.

I was a pussy, in your language. I'm finally learning the ropes on murder 101 with my friend, because it looks way more interesting.

I think the reason I never moved past pussy mode was because of my mindset in these kinds of games. I want to hoard, hoard, hoard all the good loot just for the sake of having it. I'd look at my inventory, mesmerized with pride at my new-found Mosin with a PU scope on it. It made me happy. Getting past the "Don't get attached to your gear" part of the game is one of the hardest things I've ever done, because it's literally a U-turn from the mindset I've had since I started gaming. (The "Will I need it later" mindset is a partial annoyance, too.)

While i dont condone such actions - who goes afk in a firehouse much less Elektro fire house 8P

He was probably checking a guide, or went off to piss. Considering he had extremely rare camo gear I've never even heard of, and looked to be trying to make a ghillie suit (He had netting on him), Iunno.

So, I got my 1st kill.. ever... From 2011 to 2015. Both in the mod and in the standalone. I got it on an AFK guy who was in a fire station in elektro.

I feel like a douchebag for killing him. The guy was damn stacked. Longhorn, AK, Derringer, M1911 and tons of ammunition. My fire axe ruined most of his clothes as well as his tactical vest, too. I guess it proves my inexperience with murder. He was very clearly AFK. After I hit him once, he did nothing. I think I should've shot him instead to save his clothing. but, hey. I like my bomber jacket.

That's not the point, though. The point is that I feel like a genuine cunt for killing someone who had likely spent hours upon hours of game time scavenging for gear. He just made the mistake of going AFK in a fire station- one that I make very often. Moral: I'm an asshole. Secondary moral: Don't go AFK in a fire station in Elektro. I was tempted to ignore him and leave a note telling him not to go AFK in a fire station, but greed got the best of me.

>Inb4 I get fucking shot because of Karma

I guess I'm not a hero anymore ;_;

Wow you played for a long time and never killed a player. That's pretty crazy. Interesting

Anyhow killing players in day z seems to be put way up on a pedestal by many players. For me I never really got a since of achievement like some do that play this game. I have to confess most players I have shot in game I saw them 1st. Much of the time it feels kind of like a relief that they fall over more then anything. There no longer a threat and I dint have to worry about them. Its never really honorable. I have shot players that were un armed, inside vehicles, in the back, point blank and far away. I don't really care, because its a game and I know good and well they would shoot me too. Its just a reflex, really. To me its something I do out of in game survival, which is my end game. But yeah its never some kind honor thing. I don't lie to my self and feel the need to put a label bandit, on someone to make my self feel better about doing it. I just do it. I don't need an excuse.

Don't feel bad, you shot someone in game, and it happens all the time. Think about it this way, most players average life is about 1 hour. If there were karma I would have never would survive nearly as long as I normally do, this is a game. Luck and karma have nothing to do with it. Don't psyche your self out so much, your over thinking it my friend. Its a game! So if it wasn't you it would have been something else. They will go back to the coast and start fresh. I think that player was really stupid for being afk were he was.

Edited by CJFlint

When I got the game, I'd never played anything remotely realistic. I always played on low-pop servers, or friendly servers.

I was a pussy, in your language. I'm finally learning the ropes on murder 101 with my friend, because it looks way more interesting.

I think the reason I never moved past pussy mode was because of my mindset in these kinds of games. I want to hoard, hoard, hoard all the good loot just for the sake of having it. I'd look at my inventory, mesmerized with pride at my new-found Mosin with a PU scope on it. It made me happy. Getting past the "Don't get attached to your gear" part of the game is one of the hardest things I've ever done, because it's literally a U-turn from the mindset I've had since I started gaming. (The "Will I need it later" mindset is a partial annoyance, too.)

I wouldn't call you a pussy in my language.  It just struck me as something I thought was unavoidable in DayZ.

Wow you played for a long time and never killed a player. That's pretty crazy. Interesting

Anyhow killing players in day z seems to be put way up on a pedestal by many players. For me I never really got a since of achievement like some do that play this game. I have to confess most players I have shot in game I saw them 1st. Much of the time it feels kind of like a relief that they fall over more then anything. There no longer a threat and I dint have to worry about them. Its never really honorable. I have shot players that were un armed, inside vehicles, in the back, point blank and far away. I don't really care, because its a game and I know good and well they would shoot me too. Its just a reflex, really. To me its something I do out of in game survival, which is my end game. But yeah its never some kind honor thing. I don't lie to my self and feel the need to put a label bandit, on someone to make my self feel better about doing it. I just do it. I don't need an excuse.

Don't feel bad, you shot someone in game, and it happens all the time. Think about it this way, most players average life is about 1 hour. If there were karma I would have never would survive nearly as long as I normally do, this is a game. Luck and karma have nothing to do with it. Don't psyche your self out so much, your over thinking it my friend. Its a game! So if it wasn't you it would have been something else. They will go back to the coast and start fresh. I think that player was really stupid for being afk were he was.

I'm a superstitious person. One time, back when I was less tolerant towards others, I called someone a (slang term for homosexual) (bundle of sticks). My computer got a virus the next day.

This is true, but I just can't shake the feeling that I caused someone to at least sigh in annoyance. I know what it's like to die where you had no control over it (except not going afk in the most popular city in the most popular building, but I digress), and it's a painful experience.

thx tho matey. I think I might look into joining a clan soon.

I wouldn't call you a pussy in my language.  It just struck me as something I thought was unavoidable in DayZ.

It's plenty avoidable if you were as attached to your gear as I was. I thought my Winchester and revolver were sacred. I literally never left the coast until 2013.

It was a great experience.

So what, the dumbass went AFK inside a fire station in Elektro. Serves him right.

This. There are places you don't idle. This is one of them.

I consider myself an inherently good player- I don't mean I'm good at the game... not by a long shot- but I mean I genuinely want to invest my time in helping others survive... protect the freshies and preserve what is civilized in an uncivilized scenario. 

But I have to admit- even I'm sitting back thinking "sure, maybe I'd have just given the guy a miss ANYWHERE else... but ANYONE who is going to be that fucking stupid is pretty much just committing suicide anyway." 

My first (and only) kill happened around the 200 hour mark or so when a guy asked me very, very nicely to kill him so he could spawn elsewhere- so I have a taste of how you approach the game in general having gone as long as you have without killing anyone. Not that my opinion means anything- but I avoid Cherno and Elektro because I KNOW I'm going to kill central. If I ever go there, you can imagine that I'll be taking my safety off. 

No shame, OP. Eno approves! 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

nighttime servers with 0 players ;_;

How do you have any fun playing alone on a server and looting all day? Like seriously, what is there to do other than player interactions?

Dont feel bad walrus, the dude was afk in a firehouse in Elektro. I didn't kill that many people in the mod but when I bought standalone, things changed in a hurry. I won't go on a rampage and kill anything that moves but my kills are either defensive or in your situation someone afk in a weapon spawn location. The feeling of douchebaggery will pass, who knows perhaps you will be presented with another situation where you can give another survivor a chance to live.

Don't dwell on it too long as most people in the game would do what you did. Its just the nature of the beast. Its Dayz after all, he had gear you wanted/needed and he got caught slippin

• Like 1

I'm a superstitious person. One time, back when I was less tolerant towards others, I called someone a (slang term for homosexual) (bundle of sticks). My computer got a virus the next day.

This is true, but I just can't shake the feeling that I caused someone to at least sigh in annoyance. I know what it's like to die where you had no control over it (except not going afk in the most popular city in the most popular building, but I digress), and it's a painful experience.

thx tho matey. I think I might look into joining a clan soon.

You know, I think in day z your pretty much fair game to any thing the moment you log in. I just don't expect random players to have my best interests in mind while playing. Man I know better. My 1st 2 weeks playing I got kosed more times then I can count. Good deeds bad deeds, karma, didn't didn't seem to mater. I adapted my game play and learned the ways. I learned the does and don'ts. BUT regardless I try to treat everyone with a certain level of respect and video game sportsmanship. Days simulates complete apocalyptic chaos so there are no rules, so really the only thing I frown apon in game is hacking, insults or general ass hat behavior in game.

You play how you like and believe what you want to believe. Maybe you are effected by karma in a game, didn't know that was possible. But really I think you may want to dumb down the spiritual superstition because I suspect It might be more of a liability in your case to think about stuff like that then anything in a game. But do and play how you like, its your day z experience not mine.

Anyhow happy gaming

I think that that if a person is truly a pacifist, they are either ignorant, naive, or just flat out inhumane. 

How do you have any fun playing alone on a server and looting all day? Like seriously, what is there to do other than player interactions?

I felt like having the best loot was the point of DayZ. I loved to head into a town, loot it up and check my bounty. It was just extremely satisfying to know that I had garnered a supply of great items and weapons.

Still having trouble not being attached to my gear ;_;

I felt like having the best loot was the point of DayZ. I loved to head into a town, loot it up and check my bounty. It was just extremely satisfying to know that I had garnered a supply of great items and weapons.

Still having trouble not being attached to my gear ;_;

Having the loot is nice, I thought this way at one point in my Dayz gaming past. I feel now though that its just stuff, I can always get more. I don't focus on getting uber rare guns and loot, mainly roll around with a shotgun, mp5 or SKS. If I happen to die oh well, I can find 2 of the 3 guns fairly easy. I mainly play as a medic/trader and tend to look as unthreatning as possible, hell most of the time I just roll around with a magnum or 1911.

Just try playing on a private hive and go looking for trouble, preferably on a server you have no connection to and live carefree. You'll break the habit of being attached to you loot real quick

• Like 1

I don't often kill people in dayz, but it happens from time to time. Usually for a good reason, but sometimes not. However I'm often struck by a feeling of guilt after I've done it and I'm glad it's that way. And it's one of many things that sets dayz apart from other games and makes it so interesting. It can go days after certain incidents when I still feel bad about something, especially if I shot some1 that posed no immediate threat to me. 

Edited by Bunkers
  • Like 1