Sign in to follow this  
gromlicious

Comparing DayZ to similar games.

Comparing DayZ to similar games (visual/complexity wise) like H1Z1 and Arma III, DayZ:SA runs like a lawnmower. I've had the game since Alpha release, and I do understand that bugs/glitches/crashes is to be expected, but having 30< FPS in high density areas just KILLS the joy! Let me give you a quick rundown of the specs, and why I feel this performance issue shouldn't even exist in it's current state.  :huh:

PC spec:

i7-5930K @4.4Ghz

EVGA X99 Classified

GTX980 SLI (H20)

Corsair AX1200i

2560x1440 @120Hz

... the list goes on, you get the idea ...

This system is able to maintain above 60fps at all time, but there are still some major hickups in high density areas, this should not be the case since; the exact same system delivers 120fps at all times in Arma III and H1Z1.

Is this gimping issue going to be adressed, and in that case; when?

Cheers..

congrats on your BAMFPC.... but optimization is one of the last things to be done with any game in the making.

I'm sure someone with way more knowledge can explain in detail

the exact same system delivers 120fps at all times in Arma III and H1Z1..

You do know that ARMA 3 is made by the same company, right?

Thus, it's safe to say that client optimisation will come, but not in the Alpha-State. Anyone that bought ARMA 3 in the Alpha will remember that its performance was terrible at the beginning as well.

• Like 6

... DayZ:SA runs like a lawnmower. I've had the game since Alpha release ...

It's still in alpha, the only version available is early access alpha. There's a lot still TBD and the engine itself is still being updated piece by piece (the whole Infusion thing). Word on the street is that the new renderer is coming soon which a lot of people are excited about.

DayZ:SA runs like a lawnmower.

I own a Dixie Chopper Lawn mower, this might be a bad comparison. 

congrats on your BAMFPC.... but optimization is one of the last things to be done with any game in the making.

I'm sure someone with way more knowledge can explain in detail

Not a valid argument what so ever. H1z1 has been out not even a month and the game runs flawlessly. SA is getting to the point where it is almost unplayable. Ive never played a game that drops frames like this one. Personally I doubt they even get it fixed considering they cant even get AI in the game to work properly after a year.

• Like 3

Not a valid argument what so ever. H1z1 has been out not even a month and the game runs flawlessly. SA is getting to the point where it is almost unplayable. Ive never played a game that drops frames like this one. Personally I doubt they even get it fixed considering they cant even get AI in the game to work properly after a year.

im so sorry but ... its ALPHA !  yes it is ....

and h1z1 looks like crap btw and not even close as good as dayz.

so ur not very valid either

p.s.  look what i do to ur kind ( my avatar ) 

• Like 1

I don't believe Danmyr's post, despite being his first one, deserved being moved to this thread. He stated his/her observation and a valid opinion, shared by many around, might I add. It was neither "whiny", nor in demanding tone.

Moving an uneasy opinion to a less frequented section of your forum is not exactly a PR master trick. Mods, please tone down your "entitlement" filter.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 2

I don't believe Danmyr's post, despite being his first one, deserved being moved to this thread. He stated his/her observation and a valid opinion, shared by many around, might I add. It was neither "whiny", nor in demanding tone.

Moving an uneasy opinion to a less frequented section of your forum is not exactly a PR master trick. Mods, please tone down your "entitlement" filter.

You are right and for what it's worth I apologise. I didn't realise I was merging Danmyr's post as well. That was indeed an error on my part and it's been already pointed out to me.

Edited by Boneboys
  • Like 6

You are right and for what it's worth I apologise. I didn't realise I was merging Danmyr's post as well. That was indeed an error on my part and it's been already pointed out to me.

BE CAREFUL WITH THAT AXE...

Fixed.

• Like 6

I've spent more hours messing around with graphics settings in dayz/arma than I have playing some other games.

• Like 1

All I can say is run on normal settings with the game on an SSD and lower your expectations. The game is in alpha development so this is to be expected. That being said why not throw us a bone and do something, anything to improve one of the many unoptimized features that is causing lag.

What about a team member dedicated to performance?

I'm not telling Bohemia how to run their company just asking if its possible.

Every update is slowing the system further and further and the biggest issue is buildings.

Is there a more efficient way to have the buildings function?

And what happened to the improved renderer that was said to be in .53?

For me dayz really only gets frame drops in citys like Novo. Also much of the glitchyness players have more to do with server ping then the game it self. If your say from the UK and play on US servers with high ping, your prob going to see issues. Zombies hitting from 10 feets away, dsync, droped frames, death bugs ect ect. Much of the time issues are server problems.

I try to play on servers with less then 70 ping, I find it helps a great deal. I hear people on the Forums complaining time and time again about things that are server related not game related all the time on here. They blame the game, when its not really what the issue is. Much of it is just the fact that there playing on a bad server. Once you see the dsync, weird droped frames, strange zombie behavor get off that server and play on another one. Consider beefing up your internet connection not just your CPU.

When persistants started in this game, I had a 2 week period were I was having major issues with dayz out of no were. Sometimes the game worked fine, sometimes it was really glitchy. I figured out by reading and talking to people it had allot to do with ping, and connection issues. It can cause really bad problems while playing. Not shit n ya! Simply by checking the ping before logging in helps great deal, the lower the better.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

I work at a private golf course with $50,000+ "lawnmowers". I wish it ran like those.

And if those are really OP's specs and he's dropping below 30 FPS it isn't a problem with the game's optimization.

• Like 3

I work at a private golf course with $50,000+ "lawnmowers". I wish it ran like those.

And if those are really OP's specs and he's dropping below 30 FPS it isn't a problem with the game's optimization.

It is the game's problem. High end GPUs make little to no difference in this game when compared to entry-level cards. 980 SLI performs pretty much the same as a 960 would.

It is the game's problem. High end GPUs make little to no difference in this game when compared to entry-level cards. 980 SLI performs pretty much the same as a 960 would.

and a gtx 670 for that matter too.

its CPU intensive, modern gpu not need apply.

but modern cpu do!

4.0ghz+ is a must for "decent" play and beast cpus like x99 do benefit.

Ok can someone exlpain to me why I have a 2 1/2 year old CPU with SLI GTX 570s (Old) and my game runs fine? Anyone?

Its becuase I check server ping and I only play on 70 ping and below servers. Pref 40, to 50. You can have the most beefed up pc in the world, but if you got bad connection the game will run like shit. It has more to do with what server your playing on then your graghics cards.

Also there is a crap ton of mis consteptions on the this thread. We are all aware that sandard TV and movies are in 24, 25, and 30 fps. In fact most movies that are at 59 fps are dup framed. Right? So if your getting over say 30 fps your not doing  that bad. 60 your doing awsome. 120, lol your brain isn't going to be able to notice is so fast. My god people.....spoiled kids lol. I would say anything past 60 fps your brain prob can not process other then it appears smoother. We only have human eyes which cannot pick things up so quickly anyways lol Maybe if you were an owl you would notice 120 fps. I keep hearing this 120 fps lol I am a video guy, that is number a really over done retarded fast number, a bench mark you will never notice. In fact the highest I work on is 59 fps. I have seen the new 4k TVs, there great. Thats probably pushing the vary limits of your eyes. Your just not going to be able to process anymore.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 2

Its becuase I check server ping and I only play on 70 pind and below servers. Pref 40, to 50. You can have the most beefed up pc in the world, but if you got bad connection the game will run like shit. It has more to do with what server your playing on then your graghics cards.

Also there is a crap ton of mis consteptions on the this thread. We are all aware that sandard TV and movies are in 24, 25, and 30 fps. In fact most movies that are at 59 fps are dup framed. Right? So if your getting over say 30 fps your not doing  that bad. 60 your doing awsome. 120, lol your brain isn't going to be able to notice is so fast. My god people.....spoiled kids lol. I would say anything past 60 fps your brain prob can not process other then it appears smoother.

Sadly you're the one with the misconceptions here.

First and foremost: your ping does not affect your framerate. It's literally just the time it takes for your commands (jumping, taking items in your inventory, using items) to reach the server. That's all. Your frames aren't being computed by the server, thus ping doesn't affect your framerate.

Second of all: 30 FPS looks like shit in games and makes a noticeable difference because in movies you're not moving as quickly as you do in a game. That's why it is causing nausea and a general feeling of it "not being right". 60 FPS solves this.

This video will cover everything you need to know:

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 2

High end GPUs make little to no difference in this game when compared to entry-level cards. 980 SLI performs pretty much the same as a 960 would.

Well ...

A. you're wrong if you have your settings correct. If you have a good card cranking your settings up to max actually increases your FPS in Arma's engine most of the time

B. I was more referring to the $600 CPU he's claiming to have which is also supposedly overclocked to 4.4Ghz as ARMA has always been all about the CPU

C. a 960 isn't an entry level card they are actually quite decent (especially in a game with min req of only an 8800GT)

And as OP's claiming to have basically the most expensive computer you can make at the moment (without going overly retarded) I'd assume he also has a SSD. He shouldn't be dropping anywhere close to 30 FPS unless he built his computer poorly, has a malfunctioning part somewhere, or has his settings wrong.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 2

Sadly you're the one with the misconceptions here.

First and foremost: your ping does not affect your framerate. It's literally just the time it takes for your commands (jumping, taking items in your inventory, using items) to reach the server. That's all. Your frames aren't being computed by the server, thus ping doesn't affect your framerate.

Second of all: 30 FPS looks like shit in games and makes a noticeable difference because in movies you're not moving as quickly as you do in a game. That's why it is causing nausea and a general feeling of it "not being right". 60 FPS solves this.

This video will cover everything you need to know:

I did not say ping did effect frame rates, for me it dosn't. But its does for me cause, droped frames or glitches that seem like droped frames, dsync and other issues like not being able to use hot keys. Im pretty sure anyways, sure seems that way. Becuase most issues I have seen were on high ping servers...Its seems like since I have. Or is it something else, like bandwidth? Most issues I have seen in Dayz seem to happen server to server. Some servers are good some are not.

For me 60 fps is plenty. I will watch the video. I sure games prob do need a higher FPS then standard video.

Edited by CJFlint

I did not say ping did effect frame rates, for me it dosn't. But its does for me cause, droped frames or glitches that seem like droped frames, dsync and other issues like not being able to use hot keys. Im pretty sure anyways, sure seems that way.

Even though you're contradicting yourself with that sentence I still think you have a wrong approach to frames and such, as even desync or not being able to use hotkeys is in no way connected to the frames, nor does it even feel like it.

The thing you're describing here is an issue that is not even connected in any way with famerate-issues.

• Like 4

Even though you're contradicting yourself with that sentence I still think you have a wrong approach to frames and such, as even desync or not being able to use hotkeys is in no way connected to the frames, nor does it even feel like it.

The thing you're describing here is an issue that is not even connected in any way with famerate-issues.

I think we are mis understanding each other. " as even desync or not being able to use hotkeys is in no way connected to the frames", I said were caused by server realated issues. To me anyways. I could be completly wrong. That is what causes it, what is the real cause of that?

As far as what I said about FPS, I should have included refresh rates when talking about video games its major and thank you for sharing that video.  

Edited by CJFlint

All I can say is run on normal settings with the game on an SSD and lower your expectations. The game is in alpha development so this is to be expected. That being said why not throw us a bone and do something, anything to improve one of the many unoptimized features that is causing lag.

What about a team member dedicated to performance?

I'm not telling Bohemia how to run their company just asking if its possible.

Every update is slowing the system further and further and the biggest issue is buildings.

Is there a more efficient way to have the buildings function?

And what happened to the improved renderer that was said to be in .53?

So, you want the devs to waste time optimizing the current engine, only to throw all of that work away, when the new engine and renderer is finally implemented? Honestly, that does not sound like a wise use of resources to me.

As I understand it they do have team members working on the new engine. As Rocket famously said, "An airplane has two pilots, adding more pilots does not make the plane go faster ..." or words to that effect. A game engine is a huge project. If I recall, I read that it took five years to develop the engine for the new Metal Gear Solid game.

You are correct, as additional  items are added to the game, the performance goes down. I believe that is the primary, driving factor, as to why the devs are spending so much time and resources to update the engine.

Who said that the renderer would be in 0.53? My recollection is that they were optimistic that they may be able to introduce it at the end of Q1. I don't recall any mention of a specific build.

I think the bottom line is that we are all getting impatient for the improvements and understandably so. We don't see the improvements in the game yet, because the engine is not moduar, facilitating the introduction of every little improvement as they become available. Brian Hicks specifically mentions that AI and the renderer are being developed in a different branch of the code. Please reread the February 06 Status Report, where he characterizes the project of making the engine more modular as a massive task, requiring a significant amount of man hours. They are doing this, so that down the road, components like a new renderer can be more easily "plugged in" once they become available. Don't forget that just making the engine modular does not bring any performance benefits, it merely facilitates the devs ability to effectively address different components of the game, individually. Many of these components, such as the renderer, will themselves be huge projects.

If I had one criticism, it would probably be that the enormity of this task has not been explained in plain language. If it had been, we wouldn't have so many folks with unrealistically high expectations, in terms of the time that this sort of project takes.