TehMJB

How to navigate the maps?

Been playing Dayz for about 2 weeks now and i still always seem to get lost, anyone have any tips for navigating the map? How do you guys find your way around? Thanks

If you want to try hardcore navigation you can use a pristine compass, the sun (which seems to always be in the South, at least for me) the clouds (they drift East to West) or even the stars.

Or you could just ALT+Tab to a browser showing a map of Chernarus, get your bearings, then roll out, which is what most people do. Use prominent land marks to establish your position and direction, as well as roads, tracks, power lines etc...look at what you can see on the screen, then work out how that fits in with what you can see on your map.

Roads are dangerous to follow but it's fine to follow them from a distance, e.g. from within a nearby tree line - just be careful not to lose them or miss turnings. Also, all but the smallest town have street signs on their way in and out which will help to pin point your position.

When running cross country, aim for your destination and do not deviate - if you need to look around you (which is advisable) use an object on your horizon to "fix' your direction. Once you stop looking around yourself make sure that your "fix" is still dead ahead of you. If you need to move laterally to avoid an obstacle, don't turn, just side strafe left or right around it. This preserves your overall point of direction.

No!

Don't use the 3rd party maps. Use the in-game ones.

When you find a piece of map, open it straight away (drag to hotbar; press corresponding number key), and it will be centred on your current position. Zoom right in and look at the layout of buildings marked nearby, and the lie of the land. Then go outside and try to match what you see around you with the map. Then you'll know where you are and what direction you might want to take. Kepp referencing your surroundings against the map as you move, and you shouldn't get lost. If you have a compass, even better.

The maps you find on websites force you to alt+tab out of the game, which is crap. Plus it's more fun to use only the in-game tools.

• Like 2

No!

Third party?

Dude, this is from the Day Z data base.

I have been playing this map since one month before the mod came out and now I know this map like the back of my hand without a map or a compass and can just point in any direction and can tell you what is that way. Now im not hear to brag on how much time I have wasted on this map but hopefully help a bit.

The reason why I was able to learn the map so well is because in the mod you could use the way point system and never get lost. With the ability to never get lost i didnt have to worry about anything and i could just devote my time to learning the map and know exactly where i was on the map with a way point. If i where you I would try to find a compass and use the map on DayZdb.com with the shift-tab in-game menu web browser. Use the compass and map to help you learn each direction you are looking in a city so will know in the future. The goal is to be able to learn each direction so in the future know where you are going without using a map or compass. So don't get dependent on them.

In order to know this map you have to be willing to devote a lot of time to the map. You will not be able to learn the map by just going through a city, farmland, or an open area once or twice. You will need to do it many of times to finally learn it. Come into a city and any area that you want to learn from many different directions so you will be able to see just two or three buildings and know where you are. But for now with what i said, stick to the roads and learn them because if you can learn the roads, you will be able to map it out in your head and know where your headed. Once you think you have learned the roads then try to venture into woods. With the knowledge of the roads you will be able to determine what road is on the other side of the woods when your on a road.

I know this is a lot and you will not probably try any of these things but if you really want to know this map it is just going to take time and determination. For me i kinda wish that i could get lost and have an adventure. So it just makes the game a bit better with your learning new places.

The maps you find on websites force you to alt+tab out of the game, which is crap.

Shift + Tab brings up the Steam menu, which has a web browser on it. There's extremely little wait to swap back and forth from the Steam menu to the game.There is no need to use the Alt + Tab function at all for using maps in the game. 

Just explore. Getting lost is part of the experience, in my book. At first you'll feel like you're going in circles, but after a while, you'll recognize landmarks, you'll learn where towns are in relation to each other and you'll figure out the shortcuts to lessen your travel time. Use the road signs, they're quite helpful even if they're in Cyrillic. But don't just follow the roads... you're quite exposed if you do ;)

There are still vast swathes of Chernarus where I get lost, but there's a few areas I know like the back of my hand by now. The Berezino-Svetlojarsk-Novodmitrovsk triangle holds little secrets to me now. But don't ask me to find my way from Chernogorsk to Zelenogorsk.

• Like 2

Yeah treasure this moment. It becomes a little sad once you know the map like the back of your hand 

• Like 1

Shift + Tab brings up the Steam menu, which has a web browser on it. There's extremely little wait to swap back and forth from the Steam menu to the game.There is no need to use the Alt + Tab function at all for using maps in the game.

Speaking personally, my Steam browser runs slightly slower than fuck, and is therefore slightly more useless than fuck, as well.

I'd still prefer the in game maps even if it weren't mind you.

Map + Compass works very well.

Maybe also mention the significant compass bug that flips it over 180 degrees whether pristine or damaged at completely random times. It's actually not a great way to navigate at all unless you start from a known location, confirm that the compass is working by getting a bearing on a couple of known landmarks on a map, then use the compass to confirm the direction of the sun and use that as your landmark keeping in mind that it might change slightly when the server resets. 

Then once you head on your way, don't EVER deviate from that path since when you enter the woods if you get turned around there's no way to guaranty your compass hasn't flipped over unless you have the sun as a reference. 

Edit: I'm told below that this was fixed in a background patch that was applied and works. I was so frustrated with using it from when it didn't work I hadn't really depended on one over the past couple days. So I apologize for my inaccurate remark.

Edit again: Ooops. Looks like still broken.

Edited by ENO75

I had a pristine compass that somehow got E and W reversed after it worked correctly for a while, since then I can never trust compasses and I don't even pick them up anymore. As for navigating, there are many things you can use like power lines, you can follow the large power lines from berezino to get to dubrovko and finally stary sober pretty easily. Also, if you loot the small towns as opposed to just bypassing them it will only take you one time to remember it the next time you come across it, that way you will immediately know where you are when you see one. When you spawn and walk towards inland, if you come to the railroad tracks first you are somewhere west of elektro, if you come to the road first you are east of elektro or on the eastern coast somewhere, if you see the large industrial silos you are somewhere south of berezino. Once you get inland, green mountain is of course a good marker to determine where you are at/headed.

GreenMountain_4a.jpg

Edited by Chzy
  • Like 1

Maybe also mention the significant compass bug that flips it over 180 degrees whether pristine or damaged at completely random times. It's actually not a great way to navigate at all unless you start from a known location, confirm that the compass is working by getting a bearing on a couple of known landmarks on a map, then use the compass to confirm the direction of the sun and use that as your landmark keeping in mind that it might change slightly when the server resets. 

Then once you head on your way, don't EVER deviate from that path since when you enter the woods if you get turned around there's no way to guaranty your compass hasn't flipped over unless you have the sun as a reference.

The compass bug has been fixed. Pristine compasses show true north.

The compass bug has been fixed. Pristine compasses show true north.

I assume you're talking about in .53 experimental? 

I assume you're talking about in .53 experimental?

No i believe it was stated that they fixed it with maintenance or that small mb patch we had. Not sure which. But it works.

• Like 1

Well thats just silly.

Compasses can still be bugged!! Use at own risk.

(Last night 4 compasses 4 different norths..)

Yeah that sounds more like my experience so far. 

• Like 1

Third party?

Just because it's called DayZ doesn't make it official. It has nothing to do with the developers or producers of the game

From Hicks in the developer thread- for some reason the quote isn't coming over properly:

You should be able to find a map on sites like DayZ Insider, DayZ TV, etc. I'm fairly certain any time we publish an update they trawl the data.

Looks like these resources are pretty darned close. 

I don't think in the time I've researched this game that I've seen a single person on the entire internet not recommend the DayZDB map- official or not. 

Edited by ENO75

Just because it's called DayZ doesn't make it official. It has nothing to do with the developers or producers of the game

I was referring to the map, which is from the game, so there is no third party, if he used it for spawn locations, yes. Also I never said anything about it being official, do not try to put words in my mouth.

It is dangerous to go alone, take this: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

No!

When you find a piece of map, open it straight away (drag to hotbar; press corresponding number key), and it will be centred on your current position. Zoom right in and look at the layout of buildings marked nearby, and the lie of the land. Then go outside and try to match what you see around you with the map. Then you'll know where you are and what direction you might want to take. Kepp referencing your surroundings against the map as you move, and you shouldn't get lost. If you have a compass, even better.

The maps you find on websites force you to alt+tab out of the game, which is crap. Plus it's more fun to use only the in-game tools.

Third party?

Guess i can't follow a conversation... anyway it's not the point of the topic.

Never knew you could open the Internet browser use Shift+Tab. Thanks alot guys It really changes the experience of the game

Shift tab opens up that Steam interface... Alt-Tab takes you out of the game to your open windows... one of which can be the DayzDB map. 

The dayzdb map is more clear to read, the in-game map could sometimes give me a pause. Also, I don't believe it is as precise as the online one, sometimes they differ as to the tree line and I'm quite sure it's the online one which is correct. Remember also that combining two halves of the ingame map decreases its resolution a lot - as long as you have halves and quarters, even invididual stand-alone trees are present, useful even though not really realistic (I don't bother anymore and just use a complete map).

I recommend the online map for your first steps and of course for finding heli sites and cars. After some time make sure to use the ingame map and compass to navigate without roads. The woods are absolutely the safest areas in Chernarus. Also, the ingame map can save your life by avoiding alt+tabbing in zombie areas (my first death was to a zed like that).