OoohShiny

I dont get the reason

I tend to be a survivor, however sometimes when I get bored (if my friends aren't on the server I play on) I become a "Bandit".

I do however, create a backstory. I'll only hunt people in a group of two of more and I'll make sure I write a note first (hopefully people have picked these up - I sign them from myself so drop me a pm if you do!)

Last time, I saw these two guys kill a female character in Cherno, so I wrote a note saying that I'd come home to see two bandits kill my wife and child and have been hunting them across the country. I explained my actions in the letter and why I felt I had to kill them.

I managed to kill both players however, after about two hours of hunting them, which meant they couldn't see my story, but I did put a note on one of their corpses hoping they'd find it.

He meant a different kind of crappy I'm pretty sure and being good at killing people doesn't mean you aren't a crappy person

If you really believe what you say OP then keep up that perspective otherwise you'll become that same person you cursed one day 8P

Lol I got what he meant... it was tongue firmly in cheek 

I can only agree, dude. I would play Mod if I could stand the horrible graphics and crappy A2 engine. SA is beautiful in comparison. I check out H1Z1 tonight but I don't think it will give me the same feeling as Mod.

...you made me depressed with your post...

There were TONS of zombies...

More zombies and more dangerous zombies are coming, thankfully. I just hope server-side performance doesn't suffer even more.

It was often necessary to give bloodbags..

The medical system from SA is so focused on being realistic they forgot that the whole point of gameplay mechanics are to drive gameplay. Realism for the sake of realism doesn't make a game more fun. I am pretty sure the devs are aware of this and will make changes soon. I read a post from Peter saying something to this effect.

Something like improved functionality for defibrillators would help this immensely, in my opinion.

Also, ONLY NWAF had barracks and the best weapons/items in the game ONLY spawned at NWAF.. The best backpacks could only be found at NWAF, Heli crashes, Stary Sobor, Balota, or NEAF..

Yeah... the focus for SA is on survival. But Mod was amazing. So many weapons... so many glorious weapons. Oh, man... I might play Mod again tonight.

Nobody trusted bandits to give them blood or antibiotics..

The bandit vs. heroes system was something created by the community. It worked. There is a different vision for SA but we are not quite sure what it is right now. The one thing that is for certain is, players need to be able to tell good guys from bad guys to a certain extent. Player recognition is something that I sorely miss... This bullshit with guessing who the fuck you are talking to needs to go away.

Vehicles were fairly rare, and difficult to maintain.. Same with Heli's..

This will be added to SA. No doubt.

These things made DayZ fun: Community, player interaction, challenge, rivalries.

This is it, right? This is what we have all been missing. I miss it... I kinda' get this feeling on private shards but, somehow, it isn't the same. After a year of development I am pretty disappointed that placeholder functionality wasn't worked on first. Fucking global chat was annoying as hell and unrealistic but it made you feel like community. It helped fuel rivalries.

Blah... Mod support can't come to SA soon enough. At that point vanilla SA will die.

And don't get me started on the community... Honestly, right up there with World of Warcraft for most psychotic, sociopathic, and  narcissistic community on the internet.

Ya think?  Try http://www.mumsnet.com for a real glimpse of the 8th Circle.

well, even though you might be right, i have never played the mod. I only remember installing it, running away from a zombie for like 30 minutes and just deinstalling again. The SA at least gave me a chance to do something (i "only" have like 60 hours of gameplay) - And actually i dont think it would be a good idea to differ the "good" from the "bad" guys on first glimpse. I WOULD support a kind of equipment thats better for bandits and stuff and kinds of equipment better for others,so it would make sense to see it on how they look like. But having a giant icon floating over their heads "BAD GUY" sounds a bit anticlimatic.

Without PvP there is NOTHING to do in the game. I'm not defending pointlessly downing un-geared players but listen to yourself:

Are you kidding me? Milbases are, always have been and always will be free fire zones. What use is a military grade weapon outside of PVP? Absolute zero. It's pretty fucking safe to assume anyone at a mil base is there to find a gun and shoot you with it. Do it to them first, or give up on the mil bases, get some backcountry survival gear and live off of fishing and game. Perfectly legit way to play the game and you won't get KOS'd so often since you'll be way out in the boonies.

Actually I go to them to replace Zombie or bullet damaged clothes and the Hunter backpacks. Ammo can be found most anywhere. Im generally armed going in so its Never about the weapons so im NOT  "there to find a gun and shoot you with it." As you so eloquently put it. The problem with Assholes is they breed more. You get shot so you shoot so you get shot incase you shoot so you shoot incase you get shot.

What a perfectly viscious little circle...  

• Like 1

I used to think just like you OP , getting very frustrated every time someone would slay me in silence when I literally had nothing , or when someone would fake friendly and murder me as I dropped food for them ... I've learned my lessons and I now live with the experience from them .

Keep up that friendly attitude because eventually you will have many good experiences as you will control situations easier , but remember every death is an opportunity to learn and better yourself. If you died by a silent killer , one that you never saw or even heard, then your lesson would be to pay more attention (because you can always do better no matter how good you are at sneaking or observing) . If you were killed by a friendly faker , then your lesson is to never turn your back on someone you don't know unless you know them from real life , and to never trust anyone unless they've killed for you already .. And lastly if you've been taken captive and murdered slowly , you know next time to either try and play their game so you cAn Leave with just a couple broken legs ,or on the other hand you could learn how not to give the torturers satisfaction by running away in the first place either forcing them to shoot you dead so you can get a quick respawn , or by actually getting away .

As said by others above me , there are so many people in the world that do bad to others for their own amusement , but the only way to fight these types in such an open environment is to always change and improve the way you play because the bandit KOSers have the edge in not having to listen to morales, yet we heroes have the better edge , which is the inner strength to avoid cowardly actions like murdering someone for beans , ammo, or fun which ultimately makes you better because you practice not only long range shooting, but close combat / communication skills (because you're not just shooting people in the back from afar all the time , so you get more general experience instead of just experience in sneaking and killing )!

Edited by Grapefruit kush

To be honest, getting the complete drop on someone is an amazing feeling. Taking time to prepare for the kill, checking distance, ammo, angles, and so many factors adds to the thrill. Then of course the clean kill. 

I've found there is only ONE thing that feels better to this feeling. 

Helping people. 

There is nothing you can do in DayZ that gives you the same emotions you get when you hear someone say "Wow. Thank you so much, thanks for you help and thanks for not killing me".

Some people just prefer one type of feeling to another.

Exactly this. Some people don't see it this way but it's how I live my life, and it's how it's portrayed in DayZ. If I run through a town and meet someone, I have my gun out for safety, but I ask if they need anything. If they do, I drop what I can. I give people side arms all the time as well. It's not very often that I don't have 2 sidearms with clips and rounds, so I give them one and tell them to go on their way while I make sure they don't turn to shoot me.

You can be helpful and safe at the same time.

Because DayZ is dead. 

What was fun about the mod? 

There were TONS of zombies and while they were easy to dispatch in small numbers if you were inside of a building, you could also get cornered in many buildings and be forced to draw a weapon, which would attract more zombies.. Any stray hit from a zombie could cause you to become infected.. Infection meant you needed antibiotics. Antibiotics were extremely rare. There were only a few places you could even find them (namely, hospitals and crash sights, as well as a few spawns which had them VERY rarely.).. Infection meant anybody could die at any time if they were not extremely careful, and since not everybody on the server could always have anti's, people needed other people.. People would betray one another for antibiotics, to extend their own survival if possible..

It was often necessary to give bloodbags.. Low hunger/thirst, a bunch of small hits, a gun fight, a few unfortunate swipes from a zombie... All could leave you blurry and grey scale and reduce your chances for survival.. If you couldn't get enough food to bring  your blood levels up high enough, you needed a blood bag.. Blood bags were not extremely rare, but you actually needed other players to give them to you.. This along with infection/anti-biotics forced player interactions. 

Also, ONLY NWAF had barracks and the best weapons/items in the game ONLY spawned at NWAF.. The best backpacks could only be found at NWAF, Heli crashes, Stary Sobor, Balota, or NEAF.. This forced people away from the coast if they wanted the best gear.. Being forced away from the coast meant finding a vehicle was extremely useful. Vehicles were hard to get.. This gave people objectives.. Made people group up in order to search for tires/engines/fuel tanks/fuel/glass.. Meanwhile trying to keep themselves fed and hydrated and avoid getting cornered by zombies or spotted by bandits.. The end game WAS making it to NWAF, getting geared, finding tents, etc. 

Nobody trusted bandits to give them blood or antibiotics.. Heroes were, but heroes were often betrayed by survivors.. Survivors could either be your next best friend or turn into your worst enemy.. Bandits would often only hang with other bandits and create small groups to hunt survivors and/or heroes (and/or bandits..)

Vehicles were fairly rare, and difficult to maintain.. Same with Heli's.. Which meant groups/players who had those items were targets and/or gained some foothold on the server.. Camps gave people reasons to seek out additional supplies and allowed people to drop off valuables (such as antibiotics and rare guns) so they could go on raids to high population density areas.

These things made DayZ fun: Community, player interaction, challenge, rivalries.

DayZ SA has very little of any of these. Combine that with rampant hackers, bugs, glitchy PVP, server crashes, client crashes, and you have a game which is frustrating to play while offering very little reward for actually playing. Odds are if you spend 4 hours gearing up, you'll just get shot by a teleporting script kiddie. 

After 900+ hours of playing StandAlone, I just can't justify it anymore. I tried signing in again tonight, and found it intolerable.. Low FPS, laggy animations/movement, unrewarding/unpredictable PVP.. There's virtually no skill involved in the PVP.. DayZ is basically a grief engine. It attracts people who just want to ruin another persons day. It's become a slow version of Call of Duty.. Everyone Most people just want to run around making other people feel bad, either by KOSing them, torturing them, or taunting/name calling them. 

Most PVP = People server hop or dupe or hack to get gear, then they run around high pop areas with lots of fresh spawns/low geared players, and shoot them while they can't defend themselves.. Either by sniping them, shooting them in the back, or having a full squad of guys geared with AK's spraying down low-geared players. None of this requires skill.. There's no stats, leaderboards, and no end game, so there's literally no way to know who's good or who's a bad player.. This means there's no incentive to actually get "good" at the game.. Being "good" just means you're more geared or more adept at shooting people in the back, avoiding people, or finding the best sniper spot to pick off a few people, then combat logging before people hunt you down. 

And don't get me started on the community... Honestly, right up there with World of Warcraft for most psychotic, sociopathic, and  narcissistic community on the internet.

Hey let's compare a fully finished MOD to a game that's still in Alpha and complain that there is nothing to do, and survival isn't the focal point and loot spawns aren't perfect, blah blah blah...

When the Standalone hits full release, you know when it's not in Alpha/Beta but actual FULL release such as the MOD then let's compare two FINISHED games, ok?

When the Standalone hits full release, you know when it's not in Alpha/Beta but actual FULL release such as the MOD then let's compare two FINISHED games, ok?

If he is even still playing in a year or two I'm sure he will. :)

Edited by scriptfactory

because when you are geared up, crafted everything you need, have loads of ammo and food.... You then say "now what?" Until there is actually more to do in game like AI side missions, full persistant bases and other things to keep you occupied then you go hunting. I think bambi shooting in some cases is more to do with sharpening up your shooting skills or just opportunity kills when you have played for hours and not met anyone else. Its not about being an asshole or generally trying to rob someone of all their cans of pipsi, but this is a game, the only true threat in the game are other players. Each time i die, i switch roles from bandit, to friendly.

The whole thing about DayZ is you can pretty much do whatever you want, including killing someone who is either careless or unlucky enough to be caught on a disadvantage; it happens to you, me, all of us... this game is brilliant in the fact that even the god forsaken hackers aren't immune to it. What do I do when I'm skipping through a field gleeful about finding my shiny new killstick and all the sudden its interrupted by ugly mosin death? I pick up my freaking balls, stuff them back in my pants, tear my shirt into rags and move on. I mean... if everyone was just geared up and got a long all the time walking from town to town gathering beans and organizing 20 pace gentleman's duels then things would get pretty boring, pretty freaking fast.

"Why do people just kill me for no reason?" = "I want to play Chernarus easy mode, buy a house, then settle down and have a family in the apocalypse."

It really doesn't even matter what gear you have, thats not even part of the equation for some people. Take off all your clothes, throw your flashlight in the pond and take a stroll through elektro and ask the first fine green-clad, M4 packing individual you come across if he gives two flying donkey kongs what you are wearing for the murder tonight. You got about a 50% chance of recieving a can of tuna and 50% chance of becomming human swiss cheese when you get within ohshit distance of him and his bambidar starts buzzing. This guy has been hearing ambient sounds of fences creaking, zombies and sodas cracking enough to be pretty much batshit crazy by now, he and his squad might just snap and bullet bukkake east elektro (don't google that). You say you found yourself a spiffy bright yellow backpack and a firemans axe? Fantastic, that means the next heat packing member of your local rifle club will enjoy killing you even more because 1) He knows yu gon be butthurt 2) You might have a nice can opener or something and 3) This is a zombie apocalypse and YOU are a resource that can be tapped to further his own resources and abilities in this world. Yes thats right, you are essentially a walking house with a collection of the best loot in the game. The price? Some bullets which aside from the sole purpose uniting your face with dirt aren't really worth much else.

Don't give up hope tho bro! Theres chance, albeit a small one, that you might make it through this yet. Lets example what we've learned so far:

1) Theres people and stuff in those other humans running around controlling them.

2) They can do whatever they want just like you, its the apocalypse! This includes killing you.

3) They'll probably kill you, just assume that all the time. If they don't, consider it a bonus not what "should happen because me and I say so".

4) Theres RP servers, we didn't learn this really but you can stop reading here and just go check that out if you want.

Now, for those brave souls who wish to continue living amongst the unwashed population how do we avoid horrible machine gun rape? Well believe it or not you have four main options availible to you, and several of them are so easy they put the "can do" in canniba... wait... nevermind that was a different thing. Anyways, your options from easiest to hardest are:

1) Make some friends! Nothing dissuades banditry like presenting multiple threats instead of a lonely sheep crouching down beside a well, then being handcuffed, gagged, burlapped, teabagged and executed! You don't even have to do it yourself, more than likely your new friends will happily do all the heavy lifting. If this is not your cup of tea, many players would also cheerfully offer their time protecting you or helping you collect beans to break up the monotony of the apocalypse.

2) Be real sneaky n stuff. Remember silly, you don't have to obey the law anymore! There is no law! Isn't it fantastic! Nobody is going to arrest you for not taking the proper route around deathmatch-for-canned-goodsopolis when plotting your course through neo chernarus, go around it. There is no governement around to tell you that you can't stealthily tresspass through the woodlands away from all the gunfire and hate. On the contrary, DON'T CROSS OPEN FIELDS. Yes we know you want to skip out to beautiful Stary Sober to see your new girlfriends, but becoming sniper bait and dodging hot lead shouldn't be part of your itinerary. What is the one thing a player must absolutely do before he can put his sights on you? He has to see you... well most of the time anyways, it it might work, you're actually the first guy so... but theory is sound, trust me. These are important, remember them.

3) Be OP. If you can kill a full squad with nothing more than a screwdriver and jerry can then your either god, my idol, a streamer, or driving a V3S while eating some tactical bacon and having an absolute blast of a sunday drive! Or a hacker, in which case you should probably just hang up your moms debit card and go home.

This concludes todays session of Don't Shoot Me Bro 101, be sure to grab a flyer and throw your empty nokacolas in the street on your way out.

Edited by Chzy
  • Like 1

Hey let's compare a fully finished MOD to a game that's still in Alpha and complain that there is nothing to do, and survival isn't the focal point and loot spawns aren't perfect, blah blah blah...

Fully finished Mod game? The Mod was never fully finished. Furthermore, I am not comparing the graphics or even really complaining about the bugs.

Hackers? Mod had those.

Glitchy PVP? Mod had that.

Bug laden game engine? Mod had that.

Lag/Desync? Mod had that.

And yet, somehow, the mod was more rewarding/satisfying. Not saying it still is... I'm done with the mod, too. 

IF you think DayZ SA being full release is going to address the failure of certain core game mechanics or is going to remove hackers from the game, I think you'll be realllly pissed off when  you figure out how much time you wasted hoping in one hand and shitting in the other.

Edited by Etherimp

The only long term solution to hackers is the same as every other game, wait till there is a new release that will pull most of them away. I imagine BF3 saw much less hacking when BF4 dropped. With H1Z1 coming on line, there should be a large hacker migration over there, or so I hope. It's the age old shield/sword dynamic. It would be nice to see the initiative slide towards the 'shield' in this case, as the 'sword' has been owning it lately in DayZ.

They can't be that crappy if they are killing you so easily. 

They aren't killing me, OP made the thread, and they aren't crappy at killing people, they are just crappy at life.

If you play this just for shooting people i strongly suggest switching to call of duty or counterstrike.

harr harr...

Tears taste better if fresh...

What is the point in sneaking up to a low-midgear guy just looting around in a village and AK him down? Food/drinks are no problem in this game. Does the game become too boring for you once you geared up? Is hunting people who have nothing you actually need the ultimate lategame in DayZ? I just dont get it. Do you get off by feeling superior?

And so you think that if that kind of risk wasnt present in Dayz the game would be the same? Of course it would not, its what makes Dayz (for me at least) - that constant fear that you might get shot from behind or walk into a trap.

And so you think that if that kind of risk wasnt present in Dayz the game would be the same? Of course it would not, its what makes Dayz (for me at least) - that constant fear that you might get shot from behind or walk into a trap.

And that is what needs to be changed...........the fear should be that you are going to starve or freeze to death, or that a Zed is going to pimp slap your ass into infected status or worse............worrying about being snuck up on or sniped by another player should be at a level somewhere below the need for drink or dry clothing. It's a ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME...........if you want the "thrill" of being worried about being spotted by another player as you move about the map, you should be playing COD / BF / Arma, not a ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME.

It's my contention that the people playing this game now in such a manner (sneaking and killing other players) are only here because they aren't capable of doing so in one of the aforementioned games, probably tried and got tired of dying constantly so they came here looking for easier pickings.

Edited by R Razor

And that is what needs to be changed...........the fear should be that you are going to starve or freeze to death, or that a Zed is going to pimp slap your ass into infected status or worse............worrying about being snuck up on or sniped by another player should be at a level somewhere below the need for drink or dry clothing. It's a ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME...........if you want the "thrill" of being worried about being spotted by another player as you move about the map, you should be playing COD / BF / Arma, not a ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME.

It's my contention that the people playing this game now in such a manner (sneaking and killing other players) are only here because they aren't capable of doing so in one of the aforementioned games, probably tried and got tired of dying constantly so they came here looking for easier pickings.

According to lore, I think survivors in DayZ are supposed to be the people who are immune to zombification, unless you are talking about brain flu or whatever.

As far as the rest goes, consider this: Lets say we have the BEST PvP player in the game and he spots you, maybe hes a recent spawn and just now found a gun or maybe not, but he wants to kill you. Why should he not shoot you because you can't see him? That's insane.

I am already way more afraid of dying from starvation, dehydration or hypothermia. Not so much the Zed's as I was when I first started playing but that will change later. 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of a taking a bullet from another player, but to be honest if you play this properly, you can go a long time without coming across someone who can shoot you.

You keep stressing that it's a Zombie survival game. The human factor is a huge part of the zombie apocalypse. You will stumble into people who will be your friend, some who will pose as your friend and others you will never see. If the feeling of distrust and potential harm with reward of making an ally ever goes away, I will be finished with this masterpiece of a game.

As it stands, the Zombies are only a threat because they give your position away to potentially threatening players. All of the basics such as starvation, dehydration and hypothermia are still a threat, especially as a bambi, combined with being hit by a zombie. 

At this point in the game (as far as I can tell) the ONLY fear is from other players.........there is need to fear Zombies and there is ample food and water available no matter where you spawn. The game has made the environment so easy to "beat" that the only thing left to do is hunt fellow survivors (in the opinion of a lot of folks anyway).

Juice up the zombies, reduce the loot available and you provide reason for folks to work together as opposed to hunting each other exclusively (or near enough to exclusively so as to not matter).

I stand by my earlier statement, I believe  that most people playing this game that like to run around killing other players for sport are only doing so because it's easier to get that "thrill kill" on here than it is in a game where the enemy is numerous and the purpose of the game is to kill each other.

Edited by R Razor

At this point in the game (as far as I can tell) the ONLY fear is from other players.........there is need to fear Zombies and there is ample food and water available no matter where you spawn. The game has made the environment so easy to "beat" that the only thing left to do is hunt fellow survivors (in the opinion of a lot of folks anyway).

Night time servers 1pp or even just night time with rain etc can make survival difficult.

If you play on a 24hr/day 3pp server which is always warm of course it will be easier to survive.

• Like 1

What is the point in sneaking up to a low-midgear guy just looting around in a village and AK him down? Food/drinks are no problem in this game. Does the game become too boring for you once you geared up? Is hunting people who have nothing you actually need the ultimate lategame in DayZ? I just dont get it. Do you get off by feeling superior? -

People who get close to you and somewhat pose a threat is something i can understand. But being at an airport or another place for weapons and just shoot everybody even though there is plenty of everything for everybody is just something i cant understand. I just imagine that the number of zombies and their strength needs to be way improved, so people dont get bored so easily and just mess around without good reason. If you play this just for shooting people i strongly suggest switching to call of duty or counterstrike.

Because dayz is a game created for entertainment and that's what some people find entertaining.

80% of the people I encounter on dayz try and kill me, I have been killed many times by people that I could have shot before they ever saw me.

I have even had people scream friendly while trying to shoot me.

I used to try and be friendly and I still am most of the time but I also shoot people who have their gun out because I've been shot enough to learn my lesson.

After experiences like mine I'm not surprised everyone tries to shoot each other without asking questions.

So, true story. My friend and I ended up very well geared up and decided to head down to Cherno. People occasionally spawn there and it is not the PVP fest the NE spawns tend to be. We figure we will either get into some trouble or possibly help out some non-hostile newspawns. We move into town scanning carefully for snipers on any of the buildings, watching for movement, and taking out zombies as they come at us. 

Eventually we make our way to the police station and I go in the front my friend goes around the back and suddenly, "Ah! Someone trapped a zombie between the two doors!" He killed the zombie with his axe and we moved on. We scanned the first floor and moved to the second. Again my friend encountered a zombie and finished it off. I had my AKM out, opened a door, slid into the room and crouching there was a poorly equipped survivor with a CR572. I was just pressing the push to talk button to say, "Hey there, drop the gun. I won't shoot you if you do and maybe we can help you out." when his gun went off. 

There was a Pulp Fiction moment then; where I stared in amazement that he decided to fire, MISSED ENTIRELY, and then expended a mag into him. I can only assume he was using the zombies as warning alarms, to cover up noise, and to get people to pull out a melee weapon so he could blast them from ambush as they came through the door. For how well thought out that seemed he was really bad at execution, pun intended. 

Sorry random guy, I was going to drop you a bag of rice, water bottle, and improvised knife... but....