blis

Simple Yet Amazing Ideas - DayZ StandAlone

Idea 1: Billboards, that's right a billboard(message board) in every main town giving the players an option to post notes about possible interactions throughout Chernarus, i.e come to Polana if you wish to die or friendlies meeting up at Balota in the next hour. All of these billboards are identical and carry the same information throughout Chernarus giving every player this needed information for some good memories or some bad ones ;). 

Idea 2: BODY DECOMPOSITION, nothing was better then walking across a barracks or a grocery store hearing a swarm of flies, the adrenaline would kick in instantly and create a heavy suspense. This feature is well overdue. (possibly already in production)

Idea 3: Ever been walking through Chernarus and notice that you are practically going blind from the glare of the sun, it would be amazing if these sunglasses that I am currently wearing were to block out the glare, if only.. :3

Idea 4: Combat logging, This is still a huge issue in DayZ, however it can be prevented with this method.. instead of the character just sitting down after combat logging, their character should cry for help and cower in fear for an extended amount of time (crying for their mother perhaps?) giving the cowards position away.

Idea 5: This may be a bit unrealistic, but it would be cool if camp fires would leave a smoke trail in the sky to give their position away. Or player made signal fires (10 wood logs to create a signal fire)

Idea 6: A Javelin (wooden/metal) spear to fight off them pesky axe wielders, poke them to death!

Some real great ideas that I know will change DayZ for the better, thank you for listening fellow Survivors/Devs.

Edited by blis
  • Like 2

Idea 4: Combat logging, This is still a huge issue in DayZ, however it can be prevented with this method.. instead of the character just sitting down after combat logging, their character should cry for help and cower in fear for an extended amount of time (crying for their mother perhaps?) giving the cowards position away.

What about the people who don' combat log but decide after 4 hours of playing they get off? it's kinda unfair towards the people who don't combat log.

• Like 3

B)  :thumbsup:

Edited by blis

What about the people who don' combat log but decide after 4 hours of playing they get off? it's kinda unfair towards the people who don't combat log.

This would only apply to people in combat, not when you are logging out in the woods etc.

Edited by blis

How do you tell if they're in combat?

If you have been injured in the past 3 minutes by a player or the environment, you are in combat. I am confident the Dev's can work with that easily.

Edited by blis

If you have been injured in the past 3 minutes by a player or the environment, you are in combat. I am confident the Dev's can work with that easily.

I could see this working. Although you still wouldn't get all the combat loggers it would stop a majority of them.

• Like 1

How do you tell if they're in combat?

Remember the mod had a feature with the icon as a pistol - When anyone had use a weapon of any kind it would flash and you could not log out or there were repercussions 

ALSO - Your billboards are notes of paper.. we just need persistence to actually work properly and be persistent so notes can mean alot more to us.. People can leave notes in houses around a small town making people aware that they claim control the town or a twisted murderer could leave notes and or clues around letting passers by know the town is his lair for killing etc.. 

mmm.. dayz

• Like 1

#2 - A nice idea, personally I'd love to come across lone bodies or small groups of aging decaying or simply skeletonised bodies, with some clothes on them and some gear. Think Metro 2033 and coming across all those dead bodies with their damaged loot still on them. Its also a great idea for when diseases come into play.

#5 - Technically you could do this when you add certain materials, for example adding green plant material onto a fire will create a thick cloud of smoke for a few minutes. Additionally you can make black smoke by throwing something man-made, like plastic for example.

#6 - You could do this with Wooden Sticks, there's already an ability to make sharpened sticks, perhaps with an Ashwood stick you can make an Ashwood Jabbing Spear combined with an Improvised Knife. I'd imagine it would function similar to the pitchfork with slightly longer reach (as it has a unique two hit, slash and stab animation) Or simply duct taping a sharpened stick to a regular stick to make an improvised wooden spear.

Edited by Draco122
  • Like 1

I quite like your ideas.

About the ghosting idea... What about : if you disconnect and you haven't been carrying any weapons in your hands since 5 minutes then you won't make any sound. By the way, the sound doesn't need to be very loud. If you disconnect in the middle of a forest you won't care about it...

Meh... I think the random laughing and whatnot from paranoia is already "eh" considering it defines a voice for your character. Having people start speaking and crying out when they log off just breaks the immersion too much because it's basically saying; "this is what your character talks like", not like you do ingame.

Honestly the combat logging situation is fine as it is; anyone you know you're in a firefight with sits down for 30 seconds, giving any attacker ample time to get them. At the same time, it doesn't inherently punish people who are just logging off regularly by having them scream out or make loud noises and thus allowing random people to find them and kill them before their character disappears. It's the only way to have a balanced system that isn't leaning too far in either direction and works well (if they do your idea they have to define what combat logging is through a way the game can detect and that's very hard to do given context, which a game cannot understand.)

I do like the idea of having various materials you burn giving off different levels of smoke, with certain types of wood or other flammable material giving off different effects based on what they are. This creates more than just signalling, as some materials you burn might be create really heavy smoke and present a hazard to the people who start it, as well as decreasing visibility. It'd have quite a bit of utility.

(I also really hope we'll be able to light buildings on fire at some point. It'll be hard to do properly and might not make it in but I'd really like if it happens.)

In the future we'll presumably be able to fashion spears from combining sharpened sticks with improvised knives, as well as other objects. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to use them as weapons when throwing objects is implemented fully.

2nd & 3rd ideas are great - 2nd was in the mod to an extent and 3rd is a given.

Only idea I really don't support at all is having cross-town billboards - it's not realistic and feels too gamey to be an official feature, though some mods might do that well. I do support being able to post notes on walls and surfaces so you can read them in the world without having to pick them up, though.

• Like 1

I quite like your ideas.

About the ghosting idea... What about : if you disconnect and you haven't been carrying any weapons in your hands since 5 minutes then you won't make any sound. By the way, the sound doesn't need to be very loud. If you disconnect in the middle of a forest you won't care about it...

Like I said in a previous quote, this only applies if you have been in combat recently. e.g if you are running from a player and log, your character will make a cowardly cry because in RL you cant log out..you need to run and hide or fight back.. :) 

Idea 1: Billboards, that's right a billboard(message board) in every main town giving the players an option to post notes about possible interactions throughout Chernarus, i.e come to Polana if you wish to die or friendlies meeting up at Balota in the next hour. All of these billboards are identical and carry the same information throughout Chernarus giving every player this needed information for some good memories or some bad ones ;). 

Idea 2: BODY DECOMPOSITION, nothing was better then walking across a barracks or a grocery store hearing a swarm of flies, the adrenaline would kick in instantly and create a heavy suspense. This feature is well overdue. (possibly already in production)

Idea 3: Ever been walking through Chernarus and notice that you are practically going blind from the glare of the sun, it would be amazing if these sunglasses that I am currently wearing were to block out the glare, if only.. :3

Idea 5: This may be a bit unrealistic, but it would be cool if camp fires would leave a smoke trail in the sky to give their position away. Or player made signal fires (10 wood logs to create a signal fire)

Idea 6: A Javelin (wooden/metal) spear to fight off them pesky axe wielders, poke them to death!

Some real great ideas that I know will change DayZ for the better, thank you for listening fellow Survivors/Devs.

Sorry, but these are not what I would call amazing ideas. Anything good here has already been suggested several times before.

Idea 1: In a game that is aiming for a level of realism, how do notes on one bulletin board magically appear on others? Well, they don't. Also, in a game where there is a lot of KOS, who wants to risk spending time reading random notes when someone could be scoping in on the position?

Idea 2: Bodies disappear as part of the cleanup process for the server for most any game. The more assets that remain in the game, the more the server has to work. While it would be really nice (and realistic) for bodies to remain in place, it is unlikely to happen. I cannot imagine the amount of resources the server would have to use to keep all those bodies in place long enough for bodies to decomp.

Idea 3: This has been suggested many times before.

Idea 4: I don't think that combat logging is as big of a problem as it used to be, but having my character cry out in fear when logging is foolish. All that does is give players who are nearby the invitation to kill people who are logging normally. Hear a character screaming in fear, they are logging! Kill them before the log timer expires!!! The sit down animation and timer work well enough IMO.

Idea 5: That would make sense if someone were to burn something other than wood, such as duct tape, tires, etc...but for a normal fire, the amount of smoke they have is realistic. The normal fires do not need to be a beacon like Far Cry 3.

Idea 6: The spear has also been suggested several times before. I do think that a spear would fit very well into DayZ as it is an iconic survival weapon.

• Like 1

Idea 5: That would make sense if someone were to burn something other than wood, such as duct tape, tires, etc...but for a normal fire, the amount of smoke they have is realistic. The normal fires do not need to be a beacon like Far Cry 3.

Idea 1: In a game that is aiming for a level of realism, how do notes on one bulletin board magically appear on others? Well, they don't. Also, in a game where there is a lot of KOS, who wants to risk spending time reading random notes when someone could be scoping in on the position?

(sarcasm on) seems pretty clear to me: what we need is called a nail, and you nail stuff  on to things. mostly an to wooden stuff, like ... a door or a tree. You just pick a locaition that seems nice too you. That eliminates the above descibed problems IMO

After not playing for a while i am alitte out of touch but for what i know the wole "burn stuff and be seen" sounds just like the kind of thing "we" want. And since there is still al enough ducttape ...

I really like the idea except the 'All of these billboards are identical and carry the same information throughout Chernarus'-part. It's pretty unrealistic and (as strict realism isn't always the best path to follow) once we have proper persistence in this would somewhat spoil the fun of making the different (but right now quite generic) towns more unique. Pretty soon the billboard would be 'full' on a vivid server and we would miss the chance to have unique stories in unique parts of the map. The billboards in Cherno and Elektro would presumably be pretty well frequented whereas other cities would have their billboards quite empty so a note in one of these towns would be something more interesting and special as only few people would come across it.

But in general the idea is brilliant and way better than just leaving notes on the floor as this would create a central place to look for/place notes and maybe a good opportunity to create some unique stories.

I guess all towns/villages (but not the two or three houses only hamlets) should have these billboards as most villages IRL (at least here in Germany :P) have these municipality or churchy billboards in the town center announcing the next event hosted by the voluntary fire brigade ;)

Edited by Netzzwerg