rain64

What is up with the farming hoe?

So my friend and I were sitting on a building checking the area. We were both fully geared with HELMETS. Suddenly this one guy runs on to the roof who has nothing but a farming hoe, I turn around and he hits me and I die instantly. My friend tries to shoot him, misses one shot and then he gets insta killed too.

WTF? Why does a tool like that kill you instantly? That makes no sense for it to do so much damage. I think the devs should really look into that thing.

One hit in the head kill apparently like most of two-hand held melee weapons, specially if you guys didnt have the 'healthy' status, i think helmets needs some buffing/fixing though.

Not 100% but I think helmets are split up a bit.  IE Ballistics protect more from bullets than melee, and moto helms protect more from melee than bullets.  That might explain it.

As above, you could have been low enough on health for that one hit to matter.  The farming hoe is on level with a splitting ax.

There is also the possibility of the player being a script kiddie.

We had not seen anyone for like 40 minutes and had been eating and drinking alot, I'm pretty sure we were completely healthy.

I just think this makes no sense, someone finding this thing in a shed somewhere and can onehit people who are completely armed. Also I have never seen a melee weapon be this strong. I thought I could at least survive a few hits.

Edited by V-K

A sharp stick can stop a tank if used right.

I've not gotten into many Melee VS Guns fights (or any fights for that mater) to know how well a Farming Hoe would do against someone geared...also ALPHA, values get tweaked all the time.  Sounds like this guy just got the drop on you and your friend, especially if the only shot he got off missed.  And again, that's assuming he's not a SK that's going to be bitching on these forums in a week or two after he gets a global ban.

Edited by BigMike

Tell you what. Put on a standard helmet, and let me slam you in the head with a hoe. Even if it doesn't kill you outright, you will still feel it, and be stunned at the very least. 

Helmets aren't a magical forcefield that repel damage. All they do is lessen the impact, and a powerful-enough impact will scramble your brains through shock alone, helmet or no helmet.

Also, you didn't specify he hit you in the head, or, the part that was protected by the helmet. He could've nailed you in the face, or the throat.

We had not seen anyone for like 40 minutes and had been eating and drinking alot, I'm pretty sure we were completely healthy.

I just think this makes no sense, someone finding this thing in a shed somewhere and can onehit people who are completely armed. Also I have never seen a melee weapon be this strong. I thought I could at least survive a few hits.

What does your armament have to do with it? I mean aside from the helmet, which should have protected you from the hit, being geared doesn't protect you from a good ol smack in the head. 

Should have been watching your back! :D

• Like 1

1: Acquire Farming Hoe

2: Run at geared players like a crazy farmer

3: Use "Till Soil" feature.

4: Insta-kill

5: Profit!

• Like 2

What does your armament have to do with it? I mean aside from the helmet, which should have protected you from the hit, being geared doesn't protect you from a good ol smack in the head. 

Should have been watching your back! :D

How long were you camping? Considering he got both of you. Have you ever heard of 360scan? Damn near imposibble if alone. But with a buddy......

He was on top of his game. You guys werent.

last time i used the farming hoe it sucked, pretty sure he was using a hack

Tell you what. Put on a standard helmet, and let me slam you in the head with a hoe. Even if it doesn't kill you outright, you will still feel it, and be stunned at the very least. 

Helmets aren't a magical forcefield that repel damage. All they do is lessen the impact, and a powerful-enough impact will scramble your brains through shock alone, helmet or no helmet.

Also, you didn't specify he hit you in the head, or, the part that was protected by the helmet. He could've nailed you in the face, or the throat.

Yeah, lets run that simulation with a baseball bat.  Currently it takes roughly 247 head shots with the baseball bat to kill a player, so we aren't exactly mirroring reality in DayZ yet!

Like with just about any other melee weapon in the game, there's a lot of weapon balancing that still hasn't taken place yet.

• Like 4

last time i used the farming hoe it sucked, pretty sure he was using a hack

I can one-hit 8-9/10 zombies with the hoe easily, bit harder for players, but it works almost just as good. 

And as already said, a hit to the head will kill you or drop you unconcious at least, so basically what the other guy said (not meant in a bad way, there are always better players)

He was on top of his game. You guys werent.

But yeah, I think all these values are going to be adjusted multiple times, don't think any of those damage/protection stats are definitely already.

cheers,

Re-Patch

Probably a hack. We ran into a fresh spawn with nothing but a hoe teleporting and killing everyone with one shot kills.put about 50 rounds in him. He would moan but would not die.

Farming hoe is my #1 melee weapon. Easy to come by, not too hard to hit on a head, kills a zed with minimum of 2 hits so likely it does a lot of damage, can dig worms, make a plant and enough good to open up cans of food.

Don't underestimate the hoe!

• Like 1