Karmaterror

Banning for inappropriate behaviour...

PS you can spend a night in the cells in the UK for using racial slurs....im sure something similar applies in other countries no?

Man I would hate to live in some shit hole like that. And no, the only places I've encountered with speech laws in my life are places in the Middle East such as the Arab Emirates and Iraq.

• Like 1

Read above^^

Every gov restricts "Free Speech"

Yeah, we know that every government oppresses their cititzens to some degree; just so happens you live in a nanny state that cracks down on its subjects harder than most. All you've proven by saying that you'd spend a night in the cells is that your countrymen cannot handle freedom nor do they want true freedom, so they allow the government to restrict human rights.

• Like 2

You know what.....I can only assume MOST you guys have never had to console a loved one or friend who has  been the victim of racist remarks. Some of the horse shit....."They should take resposability for themselves".....fuck off! They don't know its going to happen....it just does....by the time they log the damage is done......real damage.

But hey fuck them right....who cares what pain it can cause, they should all grow thicker skin. As long as it dosent bother YOU fuck the rest who it does.....Because stopping people saying N****r or C**n would so drastically change your gameplay, and infringe so badly on your freedoms......BULL....SHIT!

Step into a grown up world for 1 second....where we make concessions like this to ensure the majority of people are not caused discomfort or pain. 

Yes im getting angry now as this does strike a nerve for me from personal experience, and I wanted to show a certain someone that most aren't like that and would jump at the chance to be rid of it....guess I was wrong.

I can only assume you have never had to console a loved one who has been the victim of theft, bondage, imprisonment, deliberately wounded, murdered, or had nasty things said about their pet cat 'Tiddles'. All this happens in the game now...and by the time they log, the damage is done. Real damage.

If you want to punish people in game for nasty words, go for gold. Remember there's no active government in Chernarus to fight your battles for you. Devs did put prisons there. It's now your job to go hunt the 'offenders' down, put them in the prison and keep them there. Have fun OP !

• Like 1

You know what.....I can only assume MOST you guys have never had to console a loved one or friend who has  been the victim of racist remarks. Some of the horse shit....."They should take resposability for themselves".....fuck off! They don't know its going to happen....it just does....by the time they log the damage is done......real damage.

But hey fuck them right....who cares what pain it can cause, they should all grow thicker skin. As long as it dosent bother YOU fuck the rest who it does.....Because stopping people saying N****r or C**n would so drastically change your gameplay, and infringe so badly on your freedoms......BULL....SHIT!

Step into a grown up world for 1 second....where we make concessions like this to ensure the majority of people are not caused discomfort or pain. 

Yes im getting angry now as this does strike a nerve for me from personal experience, and I wanted to show a certain someone that most aren't like that and would jump at the chance to be rid of it....guess I was wrong.

They could mute that player or play on a server that doesn't allow hate speech. Or here's a revolutionary idea; Ignore them.

The fact that everyone would be careful about every single word coming out of their mouth does effect my gameplay.

I live in the grown up world.

The grown up world is where people speak freely and realize that people have opinions you wont like. It is a world where people will say hurtful things but you get over it because you are a grown up who realizes there are bigger issues than someone who doesn't know a thing about you screaming insults.

If I was a child I would completely agree that no one should say anything mean or hurtful but I am an adult living in a grown up world so I accept people will randomly insult me for superficial reasons.

There are plenty that agree with you and they play on servers that don't allow such language.

You know.... The sensible option

If dayz is too harsh perhaps your friend would enjoy Hello Kitty Online.

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin
  • Like 1

Wow, this place got busy while I was at work, can't even slog through all of it, so I'll sum up my thoughts here:

This isn't going to happen.  It's one thing to ban someone for going around on a MMO with a ship named U.S.S. (Insert slur)-Killer.  That's something that CAN be enforced rather easily by game code, as would text chat (though honestly I don't think they should).  Voice chat is another mater entirely.  You mentioned having voice chat monitored and ban issued on a case by case basis.  And who is BI going to hire to do that?  The NSA?  I'm pretty sure they're busy with the teraflops of information to get hourly.

It's just not going to happen, no mater how hard whine or how long your threaten to hold your breath, you're just going to turn blue, pass out, and start breathing again.  Best you can do is shoot the offender in the face, and let him know WHY you shoot them in the face.

Racism/Discrimination won't go away.  It'll always be around, just take the higher ground and don't be a part of it yourself.

• Like 3

Wow, this place got busy while I was at work, can't even slog through all of it, so I'll sum up my thoughts here:

This isn't going to happen.  It's one thing to ban someone for going around on a MMO with a ship named U.S.S. (Insert slur)-Killer.  That's something that CAN be enforced rather easily by game code, as would text chat (though honestly I don't think they should).  Voice chat is another mater entirely.  You mentioned having voice chat monitored and ban issued on a case by case basis.  And who is BI going to hire to do that?  The NSA?  I'm pretty sure they're busy with the teraflops of information to get hourly.

It's just not going to happen, no mater how hard whine or how long your threaten to hold your breath, you're just going to turn blue, pass out, and start breathing again.  Best you can do is shoot the offender in the face, and let him know WHY you shoot them in the face.

Racism/Discrimination won't go away.  It'll always be around, just take the higher ground and don't be a part of it yourself.

I think the OP is a tad bit surprised more people aren't rallying to his cause lol xD

• Like 2

I think the OP is a tad bit surprised more people aren't rallying to his cause lol xD

Pretty much this.

Because twelve year old kids using racial slurs they google fifteen minutes beforehand is so hurtful. 

The struggle is, like, totally real guise.

Edited by GrappleX
  • Like 1

why should you care if someone wants to be racist in-game? who cares. let them say racist things and be a horrible person. No need to try to go all nanny-state on voice chat. Not to mention that simply opens up all kinds of potential issue for misunderstandings and unsubstantiated bans.

People should always have the right to be racist a-holes in local chat. If you don't like it get your own server and ban anyone you catch doing it, I guess.

Some people are more sensitive to racial comments than others. A game for the most part is meant to take your mind of things and give you a break from reality. You dont wanna play a game then get called racial slur's just for the accent you have or for the language you speak.

And getting your own server isn't the easiest thing to maintain or handle. I wouldn't want to make a whole new server just because someone is being a fuck.  

Some people are more sensitive to racial comments than others. A game for the most part is meant to take your mind of things and give you a break from reality. You dont wanna play a game then get called racial slur's just for the accent you have or for the language you speak.

And getting your own server isn't the easiest thing to maintain or handle. I wouldn't want to make a whole new server just because someone is being a fuck.  

All very true but you could easily turn audio to direct voice off and just shoot the offending speaker or ignore them. Strangely as a white guy i suffer racisim very often ,when i go to the bus station to get my son i get surrounded by aboriginals and when i dont give them what they want (money smokes) the white dog  white cunt starts (they make sure to point out white with every slur they throw) me i just smile and say yeah but i got all the money i need if you want it your going to have to do more than throws names like little bitches... So honestly some 12 year old in a game squeeking slurs is hardly going to phase me.

People are assholes time to accept it and move on.

Pretty much this.

Because twelve year old kids using racial slurs they google fifteen minutes beforehand is so hurtful. 

The struggle is, like, totally real guise.

I wish you would all stop belittling it.....it is not a joke, Its not funny.

It may not effect YOU.....but there sure as hell are people out there it DOES EFFECT.

Belittling it is something to be ashamed of, and an insult to those who actually have to deal with it.

You may never have been lynched in the street just for your colour.....but when someone has alls it takes is the right word to bring it all flooding back.... and some of us are left to pick up the pieces for some ignorant little shits 2 mins of lol with his m8....fuck this community....seriously. 99%  of you have no idea how to behave like human beings judging by this thread.

If someone is being an obnoxious ass for whatever reason, blast them. See them again? More bullets to the face. Nobody is saying racism is cool. But this is a game where murder, theft, torture, intimidation, and violence in general are as common as day and night. Not for the feint of heart, is what I'm getting at.

And, at the risk of sounding like an ass, if some 12 year old with a potty mouth and bad upbringing is enough to bring you down, you really should stay away from online games.

Edited by Sacha
  • Like 2

The game is rated "M" / "P18" in europe. The first step would be to enforce this rating.

DayZ without underaged kids = 50% less ranting, swearing, racism or childish behaviour in general.

• Like 2

All very true but you could easily turn audio to direct voice off and just shoot the offending speaker or ignore them. Strangely as a white guy i suffer racisim very often ,when i go to the bus station to get my son i get surrounded by aboriginals and when i dont give them what they want (money smokes) the white dog  white cunt starts (they make sure to point out white with every slur they throw) me i just smile and say yeah but i got all the money i need if you want it your going to have to do more than throws names like little bitches... So honestly some 12 year old in a game squeeking slurs is hardly going to phase me.

People are assholes time to accept it and move on.

I assume you live in Australia hence the Aboriginals at the bus stop. I have also experienced some racism from these people. But seeing it doesn't affect me directly. I move on.

For example. I even feel a little racist for this, I dont know why.

Okay so you're Muslim and with all the propaganda and conspiracy's going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they copped at lot of racism if they were wearing their cultural clothing or people just knew where they were from. But soaking in all the insults. They head home, forget it and would like to have a break and play some good old DayZ. They hop on. Talk to some people, if they have an accent or speak a different language. Alot of the time if they are ignorant fucks, they will assume. "Ah you fuckin muslim c**t go back to your own country" etc etc. They shouldn't have to put up with that. Neither should they have to turn off and just shoot the person speaking this profanity. DayZ is all about Interaction and survival. No interaction sucks ass, and people shouldnt have to turn off VOIP just because of this.

let's just keep it simple. every server admin will have a big red button. when they see offensive racist words being used they hit the button and it immediately sends a signal to the Guardians of Right, the Super Friends Team of obama, jackson & sharpton! who will, in turn, use their super race baiting powers to incite a riot in the offender and/or victim's town and justice will be served and we can all sit back with warm fuzzy feelings.

or all of us who are adults can be adults about it and mute the person, ignore them or move away.

because honestly it's immature juveniles acting like that and the more you do to prevent it and the more rules you put in place just gives them a bigger kick out of acting like an idiot.

• Like 2

I assume you live in Australia hence the Aboriginals at the bus stop. I have also experienced some racism from these people. But seeing it doesn't affect me directly. I move on.

For example. I even feel a little racist for this, I dont know why.

Okay so you're Muslim and with all the propaganda and conspiracy's going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they copped at lot of racism if they were wearing their cultural clothing or people just knew where they were from. But soaking in all the insults. They head home, forget it and would like to have a break and play some good old DayZ. They hop on. Talk to some people, if they have an accent or speak a different language. Alot of the time if they are ignorant fucks, they will assume. "Ah you fuckin muslim c**t go back to your own country" etc etc. They shouldn't have to put up with that. Neither should they have to turn off and just shoot the person speaking this profanity. DayZ is all about Interaction and survival. No interaction sucks ass, and people shouldnt have to turn off VOIP just because of this.

so instead of you spending 2 seconds turning off voice ,the devs should spend a huge amount of hours, and potential server performance running some voice detection to protect you because your sensitive.

This is some of the dumbest political correctness i have heard....(and its never going to happen so you might aswell pack up your soap box now)

Sure the world would be a much nicer place if there wasnt any racial slurs but sad reality is well again people are assholes and there is a very limited amount of things you can do about it from a game devs position but there is plenty of things you can do about it as a player , your not willing to do them because what your special???  Then thats your problem ..

Edited by SoulFirez

DayZ is all about Interaction and survival. No interaction sucks ass, and people shouldnt have to turn off VOIP just because of this.

if you're not prepared to physically hurt the person verbally offending you, just walk away until the offender is out of range...

really quite simple.

• Like 1

Mark Twain
“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.”

It may not effect YOU.....but there sure as hell are people out there it DOES EFFECT.

Belittling it is something to be ashamed of, and an insult to those who actually have to deal with it.

You may never have been lynched in the street just for your colour.....but when someone has alls it takes is the right word to bring it all flooding back.... and some of us are left to pick up the pieces for some ignorant little shits 2 mins of lol with his m8....fuck this community....seriously. 99%  of you have no idea how to behave like human beings judging by this thread.

Could you shut up already, you're not all knowing nor right, all your points have been taken down one by one with flawless logic, data, and knowledge, not to mention common sense. Besides racism affects me on daily basis, i'm a foreigner dark haired man living in a country with a fascistoid political party as the second/main ('bout 5-7% away in votes from the first) in the goverment, and surrounded by blonde blue eyed white people, stares of all kinds, people refusing to talk to me, havent been hit yet... The way you talk about this particular problem feels like barking, if anything making things worse instead of better.

Cowardly edited by BrainlessZombie.

Better man and women than myself have expressed what i'm trying to say better than i can think of at this moment so i will rely on them:

George R.R. Martin
“When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”

George Bernard Shaw
“Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.”

Holbrook Jackson
"History proves there is no better advertisement for a book than to condemn it for obscenity.”

Steven Spielberg
“There is a fine line between censorship and good taste and moral responsibility.”

Alfred Whitney Griswold
“Books won’t stay banned. They won’t burn. Ideas won’t go to jail. In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure way against bad ideas is better ideas. The source of better ideas is freedom. The surest path to wisdom is liberal education.”

Martha Graham
“Censorship is the height of vanity.”

Judy Blume
“Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won’t have as much censorship because we won’t have as much fear.”

Joseph Brodsky
“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”

Richard Peck
“Only the nonreader fears books.”

Michel de Montaigne
“To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it.”

Eugene O’Neill
“Censorship of anything, at any time, in any place, on whatever pretense, has always been and always will be the last resort of the boob and the bigot.”

Decimus Junius Juvenalis
“Who will watch the watchers?”

Walt Whitman
“The dirtiest book of all is the expurgated book.”

Charles Bukowski
“Censorship is the tool of those who have the need to hide actualities from themselves and from others. Their fear is only their inability to face what is real, and I can’t vent any anger against them. I only feel this appalling sadness. Somewhere, in their upbringing, they were shielded against the total facts of our existence. They were only taught to look one way when many ways exist.”

Salman Rushdie
“What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.”

Benjamin Franklin
“If all printers were determined not to print anything till they were sure it would offend nobody, there would be very little printed.”

Potter Stewart
“Censorship reflects a society’s lack of confidence in itself.”

Henry Louis Gates
“Censorship is to art as lynching is to justice.”

Sterling M. McMurrin
“Censorship in the schools that denies intellectual freedom to teachers robs the student of that same freedom. And the freedom to learn is clearly no less precious than the freedom to teach.”

David Leavitt
“When one writer tries to silence another, he silences every writer—and in the end he also silences himself.”

Ice-T
“If you believe that I’m a cop killer, you believe David Bowie is an astronaut.”

Margaret Bald
“Like water leaking slowly through a dike to become a steady trickle or a flood, words and ideas inexorably elude the censor’s grasp.”

George Orwell
“If the Party could thrust its hand into the past and say of this or that event, it never happened—that, surely, was more terrifying than mere torture and death.”

Ray Bradbury
“They began by controlling books of cartoons and then detective books and, of course, films, one way or another, one group or another, political bias, religious prejudice, union pressure; there was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves.”

Edited by BrainlessZombie
  • Like 4

Those were some nice quotes Zombie, but it stings a little to see them in a post where you tell a man to 'shut up' and to 'keep his ideas to himself' just because you disagree with him.

This has been fairly civil so far, but everyone, please be respectful of each other. This is an exchange of ideas and opinions, not a chance to 'score points' against each other.

Sincerely
Your friendly watchful eye of oppression,
Big Brother Max

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 2

Is this thread real life? Why are we still entertaining this guy??

I'd like to know why the OP thinks is the devs job to monitor the game? They just DEVELOP the game, not tell us what we can and can't do in game. That's up to whoever hosts the servers if it even was escalated to that point. I still think this is a ridiculous topic.

A wise man once told me to worry about the shit you can change. I cant change racism, I'm not racist, so I don't worry about it.

• Like 1

Those were some nice quotes Zombie, but it stings a little to see them in a post where you tell a man to 'shut up' and to 'keep his ideas to himself' just because you disagree with him.

This has been fairly civil so far, but everyone, please be respectful of each other. This is an exchange of ideas and opinions, not a chance to 'score points' against each other.

Sincerely

Your friendly watchful eye of oppression,

Big Brother Max

Point taken ;)

Farewell, i'm out.

• Like 2

I'm racist but I'm equally racist against every race.  I hate humans of all colors, including my own.  I spew racist slang constantly against all colors including whites.  Its my right to free speech and all the names are damn funny.  Get over it its just words.  Don't be so emo.

Yes, im sure encountering a racist individual in real life is hurtful to some people (sticks and stones)

However, this is a game. This isnt some shithead on the street spouting racial abuse, its a virtual character with likely a high squeaky voice dropping a few n-bombs. 

I prefer not to simply say deal with it, but in this case, well, what else can you do. Monitor all voice chat? What if an african american calls his friend the N-word, not in a racist manner. Should he be banned for that?

If some naughty words from a couple jack-offs in a video game is this upsetting to you, well then you might want to find a new game.

• Like 1

I think the most important thing is that DayZ and BI don't find themselves falling foul of any lawsuits.

Whatever your personal beliefs on freedom of speech, it is illegal to use abusive language in the public sphere (racial, religious, homophobic, etc) in some countries - including the UK. Furthermore, people have been prosecuted and given custodial sentences for doing so on media such as Twitter and Facebook (for example). Therefore, the internet is deemed to be a public space where national laws do apply. This is a fact, whether or not anyone on this forum agrees with the rights or wrongs of it.

I'm sure BI have adequate legal advice regarding this, but I wouldn't be that surprised if development studios or GSPs do face the occasional legal challenge over these sorts of issues in future. It's not something that should be ignored or dismissed, even if it is difficult to police. In fact the difficulty of policing the problem effectively makes it an even more important issue to discuss, I'd say. The apocalyptic scenario and depictions of violence in DayZ (or any other game) are utterly irrelevant to a discussion about verbal abuse between players via the comms - the violence and murder are purely fictional, while the verbal abuse is real. 

Personally speaking, I don't want to have to put up with listening to some moron spouting bigotry over in-game voice comms. It won't stop me playing DayZ if I do hear it, but I definitely think ways should be explored to eliminate it as far as possible.

Now this is a very good point....what to class as racist and what not to. Obviously its a highly personal thing and is different player to player. However im sure there are a damn good few words (that im not going to type) that people could universally class as racist remarks. That's where I feel they should make the start. The word "black" has is far too common to be considered a racial insult alone. But in a certain context yes it could  be. That  would be where the player decides weather its worth reporting it, or letting it go.

If it was reported the devs could issue the ban/warning. I mean hell they got a place to report your server and where you are stuck and they will free you, they really should have time to deal with(by the sounds of this thread) what would be very few reports about it. That could also be the place to drop evidence of voice comms racism.

But still....what do we LOOSE from our dayz experience if racism was filtered and punished??

*lose

What we would lose in the "Dayz experience" is the freedom of speech that the internet allows, as well as multiple role play scenarios such as backwoods hicks, war vets, black panthers and others.(Also, it's always fun to kill a racist)

Then lets add rape and sex and blowjobs......see.... it doesnt work that way.

Now...what would we LOOSE if you couldn't say racist words?

I have raped/been raped, had sex, given/received bjs in DayZ....so it does work that way, it just isn't super graphic visually.

*lose

Another sidestep lol

The only one that sorta answers the Q is "limits player interaction"...remember the Q was...."What would you LOOSE from the dayz experience?" not "is it hard to do" or "why not".....simply...."what would you loose"....if you don't type racism....then nothing is the answer.

Seriously, the only way its going to limit people is if they go around hurling racial insults. If you don't do that you would have NOTHING to worry about. You could still do EVERYTHING you currently can in game. So whats the big deal in making I dunno 20 or so words in each language off limits? Why is that so bad for the game? Someone always has to take the first step....and say no to it.

OK so time consuming and expensive are good points for doing voice....but txt would be much simpler. At least that's a start. But as I mentioned before....they have a place to go and put where your guy is, what server, and they will unstick him.....that's gotta be hellish on time and expense. So when that's no longer needed (eg full release), why not divert those resourses into something like this?

Damit im back in again....I need to do a reply with no questions lol

Everything except role playing certain types of people, limiting the creativity of the player base.

So you would loose nothing from the experience....thanks :)

NO QUESTIONS IN THIS ONE....WOHOOOOO :D

Everything except role playing certain types of people, limiting the creativity of the player base.

Freedom is something that to enjoy....you must abide by rules....break them and you will have your freedoms removed.

Freedom of speech is not a blanket pardon to say whatever you want. Where it effects others there welfare MUST be taken into account. Both the harm and offence principle come into play when dealing with racism. These rules are there to protect the weak and should be upheld wherever possible. Saying you cannot hurl racial insults is in no way limiting your freedom of speech as it can directly and indirectly effect others.

I will for sure be starting a private hive later down the line. And I will be kicking and banning for racism....no warnings. What about all the other servers though, I cant do anything there. Im not lazy and im not thin skinned. But iv had people come to me in tears on steam because of racism(most recently in dayz)......that's the real world effects it can cause.....and that's mild compared to what you can read about online due to racism in games.

Being offended may be cause for legal action in the U.K., but elsewhere it is not. That's why the ACLU defended the KKK's right to have a march even though they are a bunch of racist dicks. I honestly find it hard to believe that you've had people in tears due to what is said in an online pc game, if they get so torn up about what is said in DayZ, I hope they never use xbox live because they will need lifetime therapy.

You're talking to the internet here, the last true bastion of free speech(outside of China and the U.K, anyway). Censoring ideas that you don't personally agree with or find offensive is an immature way of dealing with the speech others use to anger/troll/role play/acknowledge friends.  I don't remember where this paraphrased quote comes from, probably a comedian, but it fits right in here. "Saying 'I'm offended' is really just saying 'I can't control my own emotions, so you have to."

My posts are being removed by moderators, despite their immense popularity and relevance to this discussion.

I don't know how this will help to further a dialogue or debate, just removing posts...

Ha I'm not even sure which ones are being removed lol I've posted about a thousand replies here. Although I'm as surprised as you, even Max said the conversation had been relatively civil :/ so I'm not quite sure